ADVERTISEMENT

Dline next year

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
elephant in the room, 3 down should only be used in 3rd and long and we even have to sure that up because we gave up so much easy yardage on third and long it allowed for teams to go for it on fourth and or get into fg position

Burnham, gobaira, Ford will determine how much flexibility we have. And if Aidan is healthy and good next year?

I like mills cross and Rubio…. I think that’s 3 interior wise, hopefully find someone in the portal and hopefully ford and Aidan are ready. Need 5 good bodies minimum for interior

JJB is a solid get and I like him better than nana, but If we are playing him at SDE and botelho at vyper we are vulnerable against the run.

Curious to see if gobaira is SDE or plays more foskey role… he wasn’t a power player in HS so probably has a ways to go for SDE but I thought he has best get off of recruits last few years

I’d like to see the dline cause more havoc, they really didn’t last year. We got minimal pressure from SDE with mills out of position there and Justin and nana not good at rushing.

I think the dline could be the reason we don’t make the playoffs if young players aren’t ready to be good and or if Washington just isn’t a good coach. Year 1 is always a little tough to tell but no excuses to not see players improve next year

Or dline could be improved from last year and our D gets back to top 15

Reactions: IrishMike409
elephant in the room, 3 down should only be used in 3rd and long and we even have to sure that up because we gave up so much easy yardage on third and long it allowed for teams to go for it on fourth and or get into fg position

Burnham, gobaira, Ford will determine how much flexibility we have. And if Aidan is healthy and good next year?

I like mills cross and Rubio…. I think that’s 3 interior wise, hopefully find someone in the portal and hopefully ford and Aidan are ready. Need 5 good bodies minimum for interior

JJB is a solid get and I like him better than nana, but If we are playing him at SDE and botelho at vyper we are vulnerable against the run.

Curious to see if gobaira is SDE or plays more foskey role… he wasn’t a power player in HS so probably has a ways to go for SDE but I thought he has best get off of recruits last few years

I’d like to see the dline cause more havoc, they really didn’t last year. We got minimal pressure from SDE with mills out of position there and Justin and nana not good at rushing.

I think the dline could be the reason we don’t make the playoffs if young players aren’t ready to be good and or if Washington just isn’t a good coach. Year 1 is always a little tough to tell but no excuses to not see players improve next year

Good post Nasty, but complicated subject for sure. Hard to discuss without including the linebackers. At the most fundamental, are we playing six up front (3-3, or 4-2), or are we playing seven up front (4-3 Or 3-4).

Personally, I would like to think we have enough skilled defensive backs to play with four except in obvious passing downs; or against pass happy teams; and I prefer playing seven up front. That said, Freeman and Golden have shown a strong preference to play five back, and so I’m guessing we’ll be playing six up front, and the only question is whether this is a 3-3 or 4-2. We have some young talented guys that can be difference makers this year, and spring practice will give us some insight on this.

Personally, I would like to see Junior back at middle linebacker, Burnham excel at Vyper, Kollie show he is ready to start, Snead pushing for significant minutes, Aiden back healthy and stronger than ever, Rubio and Ford bigger and stronger and ready to contribute, etc…. So many damn question marks surrounding our DL and linebackers. Potential to be really good, but I’ve been disappointed more often than not about our potential morphing into on field performance. So, until We see some actual developments, I’ll continue to think our defense will be Our Achilles heal next season.

Reactions: IrishMike409

A lot of times our ILB was way out of positon to stop draw or plug hole opening for a rb. Got burnedeveral times by LBs lack of judgement.

A lot of times our ILB was way out of positon to stop draw or plug hole opening for a rb. Got burnedeveral times by LBs lack of judgement.
Knowing our lbs it was an obvious mistake to have them cover so much space

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT