ADVERTISEMENT

Denbrock it is

LSU boards are claiming Denbrock to ND is just speculation and lsu is moving fast in a counter offer.

Looks like Ford had a great season that year. That's good to see. I hope our offense looks more like that 2021 Cincinnati offense than like this year's LSU offense - more balanced. That also helps out your defense to have more balance, because you tend to have longer possessions with more running involved.
I think the reality is, a top coordinator like Denbrock constructs the identity of the offense based on the talent on the roster.

LSU had a Heisman QB and possibly two 1st round WR’s, his job depends on scoring points and he used his top players to do so. Assuming he will just stay with this offense at ND without any of these players is ridiculous.

In 2021, he has a stud RB and rode him to 1300+ rushing yards.

Trust that Denbrock will analyze his roster better than anyone on this board, and construct an identity to help ND score points.

Also, hard to have a balanced offense when your defense couldn’t stop a runny nose…

Last edited:
Reactions: notredamerises23
I think the reality is, a top coordinator like Denbrock constructs the identity of the offense based on the talent on the roster.

LSU had a Heisman QB and possibly two 1st round WR’s, his job depends on scoring points and he used his top players to do so. Assuming he will just stay with this offense at ND without any of these players is ridiculous.

In 2021, he has a stud RB and rode him to 1300+ rushing yards.

Trust that Denbrock will analyze his roster better than anyone on this board, and construct an identity to help ND score points.
Well, the quick-strike nature of their offense this year, while effective, probably didn't help out their defense, which wasn't very good.

I prefer strategies where they continue to run a balanced offense, even if they have a star QB. I think back to Harbaugh's last Stanford team (2010) - when they went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. Although they had Andrew Luck, they still ran the ball a lot and had a very balanced offense. Not that I'm a big Harbaugh fan, but I do like his commitment to running the ball.

But Freeman was very committed to running the ball this year. So I'm hoping that continues, regardless of whom the OC is.

Last edited:
But they did lose 3 games, and their offense was one-dimensional. It was all Daniels. He was their leading rusher and passer. He ran for 1,100 yds, and all their RBs combined for 1,400 yds.

I prefer a more balanced offense, emphasizing the power running game.
The previous year before Denbrock Daniel’s had 10 ints 10 tds. Big improvement

Good hire, I guess. He has a mixed record. The 2016 season in which he called our plays was terrible. However, the 2015 team had a good season, and he had great seasons in 2021 at Cincinnati and this year.

The only reason I'm not a huge fan of the hire is because I thought we'd gotten rid of the last vestiges of Kelly's offense when Rees left. I wasn't a big fan of Kelly's offense. Too much finesse and not enough power football. I liked our offense this past season, relying on Estime and the power running game a lot, and using multiple TE sets a lot.
2016 was not on Denbrock. Many issues. None his fault

Well, the quick-strike nature of their offense this year, while effective, probably didn't help out their defense, which wasn't very good.

I prefer strategies where they continue to run a balanced offense, even if they have a star QB. I think back to Harbaugh's last Stanford team (2010) - when they went 12-1 and won the Orange Bowl. Although they had Andrew Luck, they still ran the ball a lot and had a very balanced offense. Not that I'm a big Harbaugh fan, but I do like his commitment to running the ball.

But Freeman was very committed to running the ball this year. So I'm hoping that continues, regardless of whom the OC is.
I don’t think you have anything to worry about. We didn’t bring in a power running QB to throw 50 times a game….

I don’t think you have anything to worry about. We didn’t bring in a power running QB to throw 50 times a game….
Running QB's are an injury waiting to happen, and Riley Leonard was beat up most of 2023.

I hope he runs a good amount. That's a strength of his
I don't. Best thing Chip Long and Tommy Rees did with Ian Book is keep him healthy for 40 starts, even though Book could run well. IB was a pass first QB.

There's a reason Riley Leonard was injured most of 2023.

I don't. Best thing Chip Long and Tommy Rees did with Ian Book is keep him healthy for 40 starts, even though Book could run well. IB was a pass first QB.

Yeah he got injured throwing the ball at the end of the ND game..... nice try but a swing and a miss. Thats how he got hurt

Riley is a better runner than Ian so thats a poor example.

Riley will be a pass first QB here but guaranteed they use his legs. If they didnt,they are bad at their jobs. And I don't believe that to be true

Reactions: DublinND

Yeah he was injured most of the season because he dropped back to pass and Howard Cross awkwardly pulled him to the ground.

Yeah he got injured throwing the ball at the end of the ND game..... nice try but a swing and a miss. Thats how he got hurt

Riley is a better runner than Ian so thats a poor example.

Riley will be a pass first QB here but guaranteed they use his legs. If they didnt,they are bad at their jobs. And I don't believe that to be true
Using his legs and being a running QB are two different things.

15 carries a game is not sustainable.

Read it today.
Agreed I'd rather he not run that much. We have a talented stable of backs returning. That's what they're for. Duke didn't have that. So he was needed to run more there.

We're just never going to be free of the Brain Kelly era. Everyone we hire has to have come from the previous generation.

Reactions: Chitown11
I think it’s healthy to assume Leonard will get 10-15 carries in games we need him to run. We didn’t bring in a running QB not to run him, Denbrock adjusts his offense to the skill-set of the roster.

With ND in 2015, running backs had 72% of the carries, and that’s with Deshone Kizer, a pretty good dual threat QB.
@sjb75 i stated 10-15 “in games we need him to run.” Certainly not 15 carries per game.

I was thinking more so like Michigan uses McCarthy as in, they run more designed runs in the big games, less in games they’re in control.

Also, carries can be misleading. QB kneels, QB sneaks, scrambles out of bounds, sliding. Carries doesn’t always mean taking hits.

We're just never going to be free of the Brain Kelly era. Everyone we hire has to have come from the previous generation.
Qb, Rb, OL, Wr, DL, LB, ST, strength coach have no past history. Cb is both but a Freeman guy and maybe the best on the country

The only 2 on staff we have is OC and S

@sjb75 i stated 10-15 “in games we need him to run.” Certainly not 15 carries per game.

I was thinking more so like Michigan uses McCarthy as in, they run more designed runs in the big games, less in games they’re in control.

Also, carries can be misleading. QB kneels, QB sneaks, scrambles out of bounds, sliding. Carries doesn’t always mean taking hits.
.Simply a personal preference. I have never been a fan of running QB's.

Reactions: Holycrossover3
I'm hoping he doesn't run that much, either. That's what our talented stable of RBs is for. And at 6'4, 210, he's not really that big. He has very good speed, though.

I'm hoping he doesn't run that much, either. That's what our talented stable of RBs is for. And at 6'4, 210, he's not really that big. He has very good speed, though.
If 2010 Harbaugh at Stanford is your ideal offense, you will most likely be disappointed in the Irish in 2024. Again, I don’t think we brought in a top transfer QB for him not to throw too much and also not to run the ball.

If 2010 Harbaugh at Stanford is your ideal offense, you will most likely be disappointed in the Irish in 2024. Again, I don’t think we brought in a top transfer QB for him not to throw too much and also not to run the ball.
I didn't say anything about not throwing. I'd like to see a balanced offense, with the running part being mostly RBs, and not him. In 2010, Stanford averaged 259 yds passing and 214 yds rushing per game. Very balanced.

I didn't say anything about not throwing. I'd like to see a balanced offense, with the running part being mostly RBs, and not him. In 2010, Stanford averaged 259 yds passing and 214 yds rushing per game. Very balanced.
Gotcha, I think we’ll have a balanced offense. Denbrock’s history shows this.

I’m less confident he won’t run Leonard, especially with his ability. His track record shows he runs the QB (Kizer, Ridder, Daniels). Hopefully it’s not an every game thing.

Reactions: mbd11
So if their running game was largely Daniels taking off and running on his own sometimes on passing plays, then that furthers my point that they didn't develop a traditional running game very well. Daniels had 1134 yds, followed by Diggs with 652, followed by another guy with 233.

And again, it worked fairly well for them this year. But I'm just generally not a fan of the QB-as-one-man-show offensive strategy.
Denbrock does like to run QBs. They had Malik Zaire in 2015. In the 2014 bowl game against LSU, Zaire was run a ton. He got hurt against UVA on a designed run. Deshone Kizer was run quite a bit in 2015 when he replaced Zaire.

Reactions: mbd11
People are forgetting how much money ND does have and assuming LSU would or could pay more. ND doesn’t pay when they don’t want someone. Apparently Ludwig wasn’t worth the price. From what I’ve heard, they saw Denbrock as worth the price and he got paid handsomely.

Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
Anyone that follows recruiting knows that coordinators do not spend all their time recruiting. This is primarily the job of the position coaches. While Denbrock is known as a great recruiter, I doubt he’s going to recruit like he’s 25. That’s why you have Freeman, Bowden, Deland, Brown, Rudolph. Denbrock and Golden don’t need to spend 24/7 chasing kids. They will recruit and they will also develop talent. They also have credentials.

People are forgetting how much money ND does have and assuming LSU would or could pay more. ND doesn’t pay when they don’t want someone. Apparently Ludwig wasn’t worth the price. From what I’ve heard, they saw Denbrock as worth the price and he got paid handsomely.
A lot of it has to do with knowing who he is and how he operates. He doesn't have to be vetted in the same way because he has already worked at Notre Dame, and multiple times, at that.

Denbrock does like to run QBs. They had Malik Zaire in 2015. In the 2014 bowl game against LSU, Zaire was run a ton. He got hurt against UVA on a designed run. Deshone Kizer was run quite a bit in 2015 when he replaced Zaire.
Yeah, he does, and I'm hoping Freeman tells him not to overdo it. We want Leonard around for the Playoff, if we make the Playoff.

Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
Great hire. Instead of Billy Bob Zoothorn ND gets a proven coach who is familiar with the program.

Yeah, he does, and I'm hoping Freeman tells him not to overdo it. We want Leonard around for the Playoff, if we make the Playoff.
Win at TAM first.

Huge game. Of course, they are all big.

Win at TAM first.

Huge game. Of course, they are all big.
Yes, they're all big. But 11-1 would guarantee us a spot. 10-2 we might be on the bubble, due to a weaker-looking schedule than this year. And the 11th spot is the final at-large spot. The 12th spot is for the G5 team.

Well.... I guess you got more of BK to endure, as much as you nonsensically hate him. If it's any consolation, LSU had one of the most badass offenses in CFB history a year ago, so they must have been doing something right..
You got that right. LSU offense was head and shoulders better then what ND put out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT