ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer to Alabama

Huh? They got their 4th-5th choice. They did have a pecking order but if it went beyond DeBoer, would have been a NDesque disaster. I loved the guys style but can’t be considered a home run
Why?

He beat Lanning all three times they faced?
Jimmy Sexton even said on ESPN radio that Bama contacted five coaches immediately. They were Lanning, Sark, Norvell, Deboer, and apparently Dabo. They had no particular order, they wanted to gauge potential interest and start talks. Sexton said Bama wanted a deal done with one of their targets within 48-72 hours to protect their roster and recruiting efforts.

Deboer is a fantastic coach, he has a great record everywhere he’s been. He’s not a boisterous guy like Lanning, or Dabo, he doesn’t have the connections Sark and Norvell have either. He’s unknown to most unless you’re a CFB fan and not just a fan of your program.

Within 4 hours of Saban stepping down, Deboer hired Sexton, the same agent as Saban, as Sark, as Norvell, Kiffin, and Dabo. He’s the Drew Rosenhaus of the CFB coaching world. Sexton was in control of virtually all the major players.

Honestly, some of the takes here prove many of you don’t really know much about the sport IMO.

Why?

He beat Lanning all three times they faced?
Jimmy Sexton even said on ESPN radio that Bama contacted five coaches immediately. They were Lanning, Sark, Norvell, Deboer, and apparently Dabo. They had no particular order, they wanted to gauge potential interest and start talks. Sexton said Bama wanted a deal done with one of their targets within 48-72 hours to protect their roster and recruiting efforts.

Deboer is a fantastic coach, he has a great record everywhere he’s been. He’s not a boisterous guy like Lanning, or Dabo, he doesn’t have the connections Sark and Norvell have either. He’s unknown to most unless you’re a CFB fan and not just a fan of your program.

Within 4 hours of Saban stepping down, Deboer hired Sexton, the same agent as Saban, as Sark, as Norvell, Kiffin, and Dabo. He’s the Drew Rosenhaus of the CFB coaching world. Sexton was in control of virtually all the major players.

Honestly, some of the takes here prove many of you don’t really know much about the sport IMO.
I never said Lanning was better, rather Bama targeted him first. Reading comprehension at a premium.

Yea you’re right ND is known for snagging the best of the best and their top pick when conducting coaching searches.
Freeman was their first option during their last search after Kelly and they just snagged the top offensive coordinator in the country. I'd hardly call missing your first 4 targets "ND'esque. In fact I can't remember Notre Dame ever missing on that many in a row.

Shocked Dabo wasn’t leading candidate..timing seems ripe for a transition but Dabo probably wants to prove he can bring the elite program he built back to the top. DeBoer seems a little green but skys the limit- high risk/reward.
Dabo has a 9m buyout, maybe Alabama didn't want to spend it.

I think this is a good hire for Alabama. Time will tell if it's an excellent hire. Saban is a tough act to follow though. Many assume that Alabama will continue to recruit and win just like when Saban was there. I wouldn't assume that. Think back before Saban. They went thru several coaches and several mediocre years before he arrived. It could happen again. But let's be honest here: this is a FAR better hire than if they would have went with TR. I doubt if they even gave him a minute of consideration.

Could be wrong, but I think Weis was either #5 or #7 on the list when he got hired. That was almost 20 years ago though
I don't remember him being close to that far down the list but like you said that was 20 years ago. Notre Dame is a much different program now.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
Freeman was their first option during their last search after Kelly and they just snagged the top offensive coordinator in the country. I'd hardly call missing your first 4 targets "ND'esque. In fact I can't remember Notre Dame ever missing on that many in a row.
There’s been some fiascos both from who they hire and the search: Urban, O’Leary, Ludwick. And ya the Freeman search or lack there of was concerning. Happy with the hire but let’s not act like ND went after the best of the best

The issue with Deboer is that he's still so green we don't know how much credit he deserves for Washington's success. He may just be a product of exceptional QB play at Washington. And despite their 14-1 record, Washington finished 11th in F+. Still incredible for a Washington team with their mediocre talent but this Deboer hire is risky for sure. I don't see a lot of upside to it, but see a lot of potential downside.
Dude has around a 90% career winning percentage as CFB coach. Petersen was a hell of a coach & never took Washington to heights Deboer did. He beat Lanning Twice this year & was IMO a few uneven calls by the refs from a Natty with a below average roster. I thought Bama would throw 20-25 mil at Kirby or Harbaugh but Deboer is not a bad hire. Im old enough to remember when USC got rejected by a few coaches and had to "settle" for Pete Carroll.

Reactions: Chitown11
The issue with Deboer is that he's still so green we don't know how much credit he deserves for Washington's success. He may just be a product of exceptional QB play at Washington. And despite their 14-1 record, Washington finished 11th in F+. Still incredible for a Washington team with their mediocre talent but this Deboer hire is risky for sure. I don't see a lot of upside to it, but see a lot of potential downside.
Give the F+ BS a break. Its worthless

Reactions: NDinNJ
DeBoer is a good coach and will win at Alabama. He’s a great offensive mind and just needs to have a good DC. I don’t think Bama misses a beat

I think it takes a year or two-----complete new system especially on Defense where no matter who was listed as DC you know who the DC was.

They have lost a ton in the portal------hard to make up for that now.

But I thought it was a good hire and he's a great story.

104-12 with 3 championships. 3 losses in the PAC over 2 years and in the Natty. I think we would be sold on MF more if year 2 we played in the Natty. Seems like they got a very good coach.

Oregons baseline in recruiting should be top 10 with top 5 classes very possible
Not true. For all the awesome that Nike brings the one thing they can't fix is there isn't shit to do in Eugene Oregon. Two hours from Portland and totally isolated.

Not true. For all the awesome that Nike brings the one thing they can't fix is there isn't shit to do in Eugene Oregon. Two hours from Portland and totally isolated.
There's nothing to do in a lot of powerhouse football programs cities. Who cares

Oregon has been good in football for over 20 years now. They have the power of Nike, a lot of NIL money, they played in playoff games and a NC, had a Heisman winner, a lot of NFL players and a lot of good coaches

They recruit top classes and the baseline should be to continue that. They are a football school now and a power one

DeBoer is a good coach and will win at Alabama. He’s a great offensive mind and just needs to have a good DC. I don’t think Bama misses a beat
And he's just as easily shown the door without winning a NC! It's only going to get harder w/ 12 teams and he already has the almost impossible task of replacing the greatest coach of all time!! Despite all the advantages Bama' has I think I like my odds better!!!

Last edited:
Eugene is phenomenal, way better college town than the USCs, UWs of the world located in big cities.

Reactions: Golson5
Eugene is phenomenal, way better college town than the USCs, UWs of the world located in big cities.

Los Angeles/ USC in terms of campus life, women, things to do, weather, parties, etc. is miles ahead of Eugene and Washington.

Los Angeles/ USC in terms of campus life, women, things to do, weather, parties, etc. is miles ahead of Eugene and Washington.
Oh, I thought Boulder was the new trendy hotspot with all that energy and the culture Prime brought in?

I think Rees was an option at Alabama for the same reason that Freeman was an option at ND (trying to keep as much of the roster and staff intact) but ultimately it looks like Alabama is going to blow the whole thing up.

I wonder if there's any way ND can bring Rees back as a QB coach/associate HC/co-offensive coordinator.
No i like NDs new staff just ghe way it is.
TR wi do just fine with his resume, and if not he has a ND degree.....
It's a win win world for him now

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT