ADVERTISEMENT

---COACH KELLY SAID---

NDsince35

I've posted how many times?
Jul 25, 2010
A lot of the same stuff was spoken as in the last press conference

new stuff---BONNER out with severe turf toe will be operated on---back in June ready for the season.

GRACE sore and beat up but fine.

CARLISLE having great spring

BARS at #1 LG---the second team was BIVIN-NELSON-MUSTIPHER-MONTELUS-HARRELL

SMYTHE #1 --LUATUA #2

QBs both were sharp --contest to continue til August

ISHAQ will be back if he passes academic requirements.

Other than that mostlySprintime Stuff and nonsense.

Thanks NDsince35; that would be good, I think, if Ishaq can come back. He was the projected starter at DE last year until the suspensions hit.

Let's face it. Ishaq will be back. The real question is what type of shape will he be in? He was never a standout and it was always about his potential. What is he going to do to get back in playing form is what I am concerned about. With the history of injuries on the D-line we will need the extra bodies.

Actually, loved reading what Kelly had to say about Bonner possibly being the rush edge we keep talking about as our position of real need. The combo strength and quickness and attitude are all the right ingredients. Encouraging. Terrible turf toe not so much.

BONNERwill be back in August ---ready to come flying off the edge and

causing havoc ----we hope !!!

Something else that came out of the latest practice that is of interest----

JAYLON SMITH practiced at the OLB position that he played as a freshman

moving JAMES ONWUALU to #2 at that spot. AMAZING GRACE has looked

so good and so healthy at 6-3/253 that Coach VanGORDER hill have an

abundance of riches on his hands. The open slot will have MORGAN - CONEY

BARAJAS - BILAL & WALLACE to pick from. And then that leaves RANDOLPH

& MARTINI looking for some snaps.

Thanks, 35. I think that could be cross-training that Jaylon's doing. I think I recall Kelly saying something about how Jaylon and Schmidt might be cross-training this year at multiple positions.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I've never fully appreciated the nuance of the decision to move Jaylon inside. I understand the perspective that teams can more easily scheme Jaylon out of play when he is outside, but I wonder if we lose a dominant outside linebacker in exchange for a good inside linebacker with this move. My hope is that our talent on the inside this year will be good enough to prompt Jaylon's move back to the outside and punish teams that hope to scheme Jaylon out of plays. I would think differently if Jaylon was also outstanding on the inside, and he just may be after a year of learning a new position. Nice problem to have.

Tex -

If you want significant eveidence that we will be a better football team this yr read the article on the OL and Heistands comments . It speaks to why we werent productive inside last yr and how that will change this year .

Also this is my interpretation only ... but I think Hegarty left this yr because he knew that Nelson and Bars were too good to keep off the field and that N Martin would take his job . That is a very good sign for this yrs team .

I tend to lean on the coaches opinions as my source of information re the roster .

Given what Kelly has stated about the improvement of Golson and Heistands candid assestment of the OL I think we will have a terrific season .

Throw in Bonner as a productive pass rusher and you have the recipe for an undefeated campaign .

TEL X---TGIF I can relax and take it easy---you GOLF guys will be out chasing that little white ball
and getting your blood pressure up too high-----or---sitting watching the masters and seeing how
easy it all looks --

-anyhow---the JAYLON move --- it probably BVG's move to put his best guy where he could do the
most good----he was probably desperate because of GRACE's injury and the fact that SCHMIDT
had not taken over yet.

Whatever the reason, if GRACE and SCHMIDT can stay healthy all year you probably see the return
of JAYLON to his Freshman Glory.

TEL X----this could be a helluva LBing corp.

MR C----your right ---the me goes for the O-Line
---this could be the start of something B-I-G.
Bet the mortgage.

Continually, read the article and it does explain a lot of what was going on last year with the offensive line, both position changes as well as how poorly we played up the middle. I don't want to see any of our guys getting knocked back on their butts into the backfield like we saw last year, and everything suggests that won't be happening with Martin's full recovery and Elmer's growth and development. The size and strength and skill and depth of our OL going into this year are the best I can remember.

35, I am in total agreement as to why Jaylon was moved. Kelly keeps saying his position will remain inside, but as you suggest, he may not be needed inside like last year and we may in fact see him back to his freshman position. I for one hope so because of what that says about the abilities of our inside guys.

Tex - 35

I will take a page out of my baseball book and talk about how good is a team up the middle .
Unfortunetly there are some sorry souls that pointed to mishandled snaps from center and coach kelly going for 2 v NW

The essence of a succusful team like baseball is how good you are on the OL and DL . Our OL was a work in progress and young last yr . Our DL was gutted by injury as was our MLB .

Well the tide is turningng in our favor in that area and now it is game on . This is going to get fun in a hurry !!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT