ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Charlie Weis Jr

Originally posted by theskibro:

Jack

Is this really you saying this garbage? Jack on crack today?

Look, I think Weis is a fraud but my post and every post I have read in this thread does not dump on Charlie Jr because of his Dad's failings as a head coach. I said and stand by that it is a bs hire and Jr only got it because of the "Club"

That in itself makes me sick

A kid fresh out of college gets a job with one of the premier programs in the country. Life sucks unless you are a Weis in which case if it ever sucks, you can counf ND money to pass the time.

Every coach works hard, Weis should not get defended. He flat out sucked as a head coach.
And his offensive skills were built on the back of Brady. He is a fraud, a guy who gotlucky and fooled people. All this has nothing to do with the original post about his son, His son may or may not prove to have some capability but one thing is undeniable-- he is lucky like his old man and has more right to a job at Walmart than at Alabama

1st bold...wrong...Ty Losingham came right to mind.

2nd bold...wrong...Charlie made Brady Quinn seem good because he (which was a mistake) focused his coaching on Brady's abilities almost solely and certainly to the detriment of the rest of his responsibilities as HCing on the field goes. Brady's receivers were outstanding. I never saw so many jump balls won by ND. I wish he learned/trusted his legs much more.

And btw, for the guy that said, some Asst. Coaches weren't meant to be HCs...I agree but how many Coaches start out as HCs? Bill Belichick was a great DC/AHC for the Giants, but a terrible HC to start his career.

Originally posted by irish jack:

Originally posted by echowaker:

If Charlie Jr can't deliver then no coach will hire him. There job is on the line every moment of every day and you think they would risk it with a "favor" hire? Weis Jr will have to prove it just like anyone else in that line of work. CW did the best he could. He recruited and graduated his kids. Brought no shame to the program. I promise you he worked his rear end off. You guys act like CW was the only Irish HC to have a mediocre coaching career at ND. After "Pass Right" and "4th and nine", this board exploded with absolute positive vibes about CW. That's right. He was not meant to be a HC but those in the profession know that CW is a heck of an OC. Before you dump on CW Jr, realize that he did nothing wrong to the program, the university, or this board.
I don't know of any coach anywhere that ever graduated players. you're not giving the kids any credit. support staff aid kids on their path to success in the classroom. crediting ANY head coach for that is nonsense.
Don't let your distaste for CW cloud your opinion. CW set the tone for the players. Not all coaches are successful at graduating their players. CW was. He just didn't win enough games. There is no need to trash the guy every time the Weis name comes up. Irish "fans" treated Dan Devine and Gerry Faust the exact same way.
that's just wrong. again, giving credit to coaches for grad rates is insulting to the student-athlete. no one ever did less for more than weis.

If Charlie Jr can't deliver then no coach will hire him. There job is on the line every moment of every day and you think they would risk it with a "favor" hire? Weis Jr will have to prove it just like anyone else in that line of work. CW did the best he could. He recruited and graduated his kids. Brought no shame to the program. I promise you he worked his rear end off. You guys act like CW was the only Irish HC to have a mediocre coaching career at ND. After "Pass Right" and "4th and nine", this board exploded with absolute positive vibes about CW. That's right. He was not meant to be a HC but those in the profession know that CW is a heck of an OC. Before you dump on CW Jr, realize that he did nothing wrong to the program, the university, or this board.
I don't know of any coach anywhere that ever graduated players. you're not giving the kids any credit. support staff aid kids on their path to success in the classroom. crediting ANY head coach for that is nonsense.
Don't let your distaste for CW cloud your opinion. CW set the tone for the players. Not all coaches are successful at graduating their players. CW was. He just didn't win enough games. There is no need to trash the guy every time the Weis name comes up. Irish "fans" treated Dan Devine and Gerry Faust the exact same way.
that's just wrong. again, giving credit to coaches for grad rates is insulting to the student-athlete. no one ever did less for more than weis.
So you want to list all the negatives on one side of the blank piece of paper but give no credit for anything positive that happened under CWs watch. Yep. That makes tons of sense and has signs of someone who is bitter about something he had no control over. You don't have to give Charlie any credit for the phenomenal grad rate while he was HC. I will.

I don't know nothing about nothing, but CW come within one play of beating Pete Carroll. I know I'll get more flamed here but PC is going to be known as one the greatest coaches of all time. He has an NC and a SB and will likely end up with a few more SB's. I'm not sure but I think Charlie would have been #1 and gone to the NC bowl if he had won that game. Charlie just needed to stop Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart, 2 Heisman winners on one play. But they got away with it, and CW is treated like he is on ND message boards, and PC will be known as one of the greatest of all time.

Crazy, but that's one more thing I love about ND football.

Go Irish!

Thinking Weis Jr. was hired because of Weis Sr. is just silly. Saban is not going to hire a weaker candidate to do a favor for someone not in a position to return the favor, and the odds he would need a favor from Weis Sr. is also suspect.

Claiming victimhood for the others not selected instead of Weis Jr. is distasteful and without merit unless there is direct evidence.

So you want to list all the negatives on one side of the blank piece of paper but give no credit for anything positive that happened under CWs watch. Yep. That makes tons of sense and has signs of someone who is bitter about something he had no control over. You don't have to give Charlie any credit for the phenomenal grad rate while he was HC. I will.
when has nd not had excellent grad rates ? your logic is like crediting the weatherman for the sunshine.

Originally posted by Granite45:
Thinking Weis Jr. was hired because of Weis Sr. is just silly. Saban is not going to hire a weaker candidate to do a favor for someone not in a position to return the favor, and the odds he would need a favor from Weis Sr. is also suspect.

Claiming victimhood for the others not selected instead of Weis Jr. is distasteful and without merit unless there is direct evidence.
agreed.

Gerry Faust and Joe Kuharch has lower career winning pct than CW. Why focus on CW is what I want to know? No one here even met the guy or has dealt with him on a personal level. Let'[s turn our attention to the Mt Rushmore of losing Irish coaches and discredit all three at every turn. Apparently, Faust and Kuharich cannot be credited with doing one single positive thing while at ND, just like Charlie. Why then stop at CW? Let's dump on the other two perpetually and have some real fun.

I think CW is picked on because of all the bragging he did when he was hired and was flashing his super bowl rings. He's old news and not worth talking about now.

you look at those that cannot seem to get past CW and it is no surprise. Frankly I think it is racist.

Gerry Faust and Joe Kuharch has lower career winning pct than CW. Why focus on CW is what I want to know? No one here even met the guy or has dealt with him on a personal level. Let'[s turn our attention to the Mt Rushmore of losing Irish coaches and discredit all three at every turn. Apparently, Faust and Kuharich cannot be credited with doing one single positive thing while at ND, just like Charlie. Why then stop at CW? Let's dump on the other two perpetually and have some real fun.
faust was clearly in over his head. a bad hire for sure. I'm too young to have a personal opinion on kuharich. true that while I've never met Charlie weis I know folks who worked in the building. it's not personal with me at all but I'm shocked at the love by some here for the man. he had a couple of good years with another regimes players. he hired a staff of guys who were excellent recruiters and below average position coaches. a horrible administrator who thought he was smarter than anyone else in the building and make that opinion VERY clear. his teams his last few years were incredibly soft. I have never started a thread bashing weis but i do respond to posts i think are inaccurate.

Ara, your title is misleading. Charlie Weis Junior is not a Coach. He is a grad assistant. A spoiled brat of a multi millionare Coach who swindled millions from Notre Dame and left Notre Dame football in ruins and made it the laughingstock of the Country. Coach Kelly and Jack Swarbrick have done a great job in making Notre Dame relevant again.

The only reason that weak out of shape nonfootball playing Charlie Weis Jr. got a job because he is an entitled brat.

Saban made a mistake IMO.

What is the evidence that Weis Jr. is spoiled? Do you really believe Saban makes any hiring decision without careful consideration? Seems silly to me to post such comments.

Originally posted by Bodizephax:

Ara, your title is misleading. Charlie Weis Junior is not a Coach. He is a grad assistant. A spoiled brat of a multi millionare Coach who swindled millions from Notre Dame and left Notre Dame football in ruins and made it the laughingstock of the Country. Coach Kelly and Jack Swarbrick have done a great job in making Notre Dame relevant again.

The only reason that weak out of shape nonfootball playing Charlie Weis Jr. got a job because he is an entitled brat.

Saban made a mistake IMO.
knowing coach saban as well as I do I highly doubt he was granting any favors in hiring young Charlie. if he didn't feel he was qualified there's no way he brings him on board.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT