ADVERTISEMENT

Changing Face of Notre Dame Stadium

I was there about a month ago and it is a mess between the Joyce and the stadium area. No passage at this point. I am sure there is a plan to make the area completely safe by Texas time. Patience is a virtue. When done, I'm positive the stadium will look great.

The area between the stadium and the JACC was like a park with big beautiful trees. Going to miss that.

Weird. I'm still not used to seeing no road between the JACC and the stadium.
There will not be a road and there was not a road before construction began. It was tight in there before on game day and now they have taken away 50? feet of walking space but eliminating the retaining wall and trees maybe opens it up?

Is that big crane the one they will use to lower the JUMBOTRON in place?

Actually, that's the antenna for the 20-inch Sony they are going to install at the south end of the stadium.

I've had the link posted above in my favorites for a while now so I can go there every few days and see what progress has been made. they seem to be moving along pretty quickly on the project to me

I've had the link posted above in my favorites for a while now so I can go there every few days and see what progress has been made. they seem to be moving along pretty quickly on the project to me
I have as well. I love that they added the time lapse feature....see the seasons pass before your eyes!

There will not be a road and there was not a road before construction began. It was tight in there before on game day and now they have taken away 50? feet of walking space but eliminating the retaining wall and trees maybe opens it up?
Redrum,
I was a student there in the early 90s, so my memory will always be of that road separating the JACC and the (59,075-seat) stadium. Can't for the life of me remember the name of that road though!

Redrum,
I was a student there in the early 90s, so my memory will always be of that road separating the JACC and the (59,075-seat) stadium. Can't for the life of me remember the name of that road though!
I visited campus in the late 80's and 90's but time has fogged my memory as well. I do remember there used to be way less buildings, the old bookstore location etc. but if I was ever on that road it was briefly. It is only in the last 10 years that I have made visits a regular occurrence. Google for all it's evil is a wonderful thing.....the road was Juniper Road.

check out this link!
http://www.hep.nd.edu/campus.gif

Just drove by there yesterday, couldn't believe how much different it already looks. Awesome to see all this work getting done.

Juniper!!! That's it
Juniper used to kind of mark the east edge of campus, since the ACC and the Aerospace building were the only buildings east of Juniper. Now the east edge in Twyckingham, about a half mile further east.

A road existed for some of us older alumni...lol

You misunderstood what he was saying. There used to be a road where the trees were. That was 10 years ago or so.

Anyone remember the old bookstore? That was fun on game day. Packed like sardines. Spent many a dime in that old place.

Anyone remember the old bookstore? That was fun on game day. Packed like sardines. Spent many a dime in that old place.
Used to celebrate the end of each week by going and buying an album at the bookstore on Friday afternoon. I think they were $2.99, or something like that. Football weekends were just a madhouse, and back then there were no special hours like there are now. Normal hours on Friday and Saturday, closed on Sunday. And there was tailgating on the grass in Green Field.......................................................................

Used to celebrate the end of each week by going and buying an album at the bookstore on Friday afternoon. I think they were $2.99, or something like that. Football weekends were just a madhouse, and back then there were no special hours like there are now. Normal hours on Friday and Saturday, closed on Sunday. And there was tailgating on the grass in Green Field.......................................................................

Those were indeed the good old days. Green field was a wonderful place to tailgate.

Reactions: sluggo69
Bookstore is still packed on football weekends.
If you never saw it, just the clothing section on the left side of the first floor of the new bookstore is BIGGER than the entire old bookstore. The line to enter was longer than the line to check out.

Reactions: drshreve
If you never saw it, just the clothing section on the left side of the first floor of the new bookstore is BIGGER than the entire old bookstore. The line to enter was longer than the line to check out.
Yes the old bookstore days are gone. Now there's one giant new bookstore, a satellite store at Eddy St Commons and a "closeout" bookstore east of campus. Multiple locations to buy all your Irish gear!!

Reactions: IrishBlooded
Only problem I have is that I think it will look a little ugly in stadium pics for this year. if they leave it as a skeleton look.

Was riding the Harley over by Eddy Street Commons the other day and did notice one big thing that will change.

With the new sections being added to the Stadium, it will be almost impossible to see the Dome or the Basilica behind the stadium from the ground outside of the campus like we always have. In the same way you lost view of TD Jesus in the lower bowl inside the stadium with the 90's add on.

Thanks for posting the pictures of the stadium Ara64, I have moved from the South Bend area to Arizona about a year ago so I have not seen any work done on the stadium. Was nice to see some pictures of Notre Dame. GO IRISH

Looks nice.
images

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT