ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly thread

Under your beloved bk as HC at ND..........
Playoff games......
42-14 Alabama
30-3 Clemson
The problem here is they were dominated and non competitive
Heres one of your consolation games...
44-28 OSU - this game was much worse than the score indicates.
See if a jar head libby from spartyville can comprehend this.

He's a lib alright...but there's no way he was in the corp.

No ****ing way.

The Corp is all about we us and our...

That s.o.b. is avout me myself and I. No mystery about it. He'll even tell ya. **** the bowl games. They're meaningless. To hell with the teammates. I'm saving myself for the draft even though those very teammates helped you along the way in your draft potential....**** em. Let them do this bowl game all by themselves. Don't need em. Me me me and more me me me.

So you are ok with ND being as good as TCU? ND must improve with Kelly and his coaching staff. ND must make the playoff again and win a game. Losing to Bama or Clemson is fine for now. If you ask Kelly himself right now he would tell you anything less than a playoff appearance is unacceptable.
Anything less than a competitive showing big bowl or playoff has to absolutely positively be the bare minimum.

Makimg a playoff or big bowl is not enough any longer.

You actually have to do something when you get there.

That's the new minimum. it HAS to be

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Anything less than a competitive showing big bowl or playoff has to absolutely positively be the bare minimum.

I'd rather win a major bowl than make the playoffs and get stomped again. I might be in the minority but it would be MUCH better for Notre Dame's reputation/recruiting in the long run. Notre Dame absolutely can't afford to get their sh*t pushed in with another lackluster performance.

Reactions: 88ND
I'd rather win a major bowl than make the playoffs and get stomped again. I might be in the minority but it would be MUCH better for Notre Dame's reputation/recruiting in the long run. Notre Dame absolutely can't afford to get their sh*t pushed in with another lackluster performance.
Think about something...

There are still people clinging to the Bowl game of two years ago against LSU. Not a major bowl mind you yet people are warming their chestnuts over it.

We beat a 9 win team.

Hallelujah

If we can win a ****ing...
Orange
Fiesta
Rose
Sugar

Or
Playoff game

Oh my dear lord their heads will explode.

I just want to see respectable football against the best.

Be in a position to take advantage of some opportunities that arise during games.

At some point we'll actually win one of those again.

Until we play respectable football in those games we've absolutely positively zero chance of even winning one.

P.s.

The messiah sword leapers around here should really get on the same page with the brethren.

They sqwak around how post season don't really matter much. Twelve and O, Twelve and O they say.

Except their lord and savior seems to really want a title. So apparently twelve and O isn't enough for him either.

Imagine that.

Reactions: SIhoosier26

Now this makes 100% sense. I agree whole heartedly this is the minimum this year. Anything less and BK should be on the hot seat for next season.

Now this makes 100% sense. I agree whole heartedly this is the minimum this year. Anything less and BK should be on the hot seat for next season.

Brian Kelly should be on the hot seat 5 years ago. If he has one of those typical Brian Kelly eight or nine win seasons--which is very probable--he doesn't even deserve a hot seat for 2020 it is just time to go

Brian Kelly should be on the hot seat 5 years ago. If he has one of those typical Brian Kelly eight or nine win seasons--which is very probable--he doesn't even deserve a hot seat for 2020 it is just time to go
Unless there is some unforeseen catastrophic injuries to multiple starters for a lengthy period, I believe a 10 win regular season is the floor.

Yep, anything less than a major bowl appearance this year and I'll be ready to move on.

That seat should be a flaming inferno.

I'm telling you if ND would'nt have pissed their pants and gave Charlie Weis a 300 year extension guaranteed for 109.876 billion dollars he would have been dismissed after that gorgeous 4-8 campaign.
After 37 drop backs in a hurricane. That alone....for god sake there are more polished coaches in pop Warner football after that dynamite ingenious offensive amazing strategy.

Whatever

That seat should be a flaming inferno.

I'm telling you if ND would'nt have pissed their pants and gave Charlie Weis a 300 year extension guaranteed for 109.876 billion dollars he would have been dismissed after that gorgeous 4-8 campaign.
After 37 drop backs in a hurricane. That alone....for god sake there are more polished coaches in pop Warner football after that dynamite ingenious offensive amazing strategy.

Whatever
I still for the life of me can't believe he kept his job after that disaster.

Whether it was holding on to Van Gorder a year too long, the horrible handling of the QBs that got us off to that bad start, the close losses to horrible teams, that year was an unmitigated disaster right from the jump.

Not to mention he hadn't done anything up to that point to earn him the benefit of the doubt.

Here is what I find funny. Any accomplishment Kelly has you, as well as other non Kelly fans, will find away to diminish the accomplishment.

Example: he went 12-0. Your response Did he finish undefeated though?

Played for a national championship: your response no big deal since our performance sucked. (Paraphrased).

If Kelly wins a national championship at ND, you will immediately say things like “about time”, or the opponent sucked, or he can’t do it again, or even it was the players not the coach.
Nobody would complain if BK won the title. Get real.

Last edited:
Nobody would complete if BK won the title. Get real.

Assuming you meant complain, none should, But there would be some forgetting it took 11 years. No many head coaches at supposed teams whose goal is a championship, get half that long. Perhaps it takes that amount of time now to establish a system and a recruiting pipeline.

He's a lib alright...but there's no way he was in the corp.

No ****ing way.

The Corp is all about we us and our...

That s.o.b. is avout me myself and I. No mystery about it. He'll even tell ya. **** the bowl games. They're meaningless. To hell with the teammates. I'm saving myself for the draft even though those very teammates helped you along the way in your draft potential....**** em. Let them do this bowl game all by themselves. Don't need em. Me me me and more me me me.
I agree, I meant to say block head

What? Not sure what you are referring too
I'm pretty sure he meant "complain".

He's right, no actual Notre Dame fan would complain about Kelly winning a title. In fact I think most of us would be giddy as hell.

That being said, based on what we've seen on the big stage I have a better chance of playing power forward in the NBA, and I'm 6"2. It simply isn't going to happen unless we see something we haven't seen at this point. And that is a team motivated and a full proof gameplan that's ready for the elites of college football.

Much better chance we're back to the standard 8-9 win regular season we usually get under Brian Kelly. With road games looming at Stanford, Georgia, and Michigan the safe bet is in that result.

Reactions: 88ND
Man, last year Coach Kelly replaced his undefeated starting QB after 3 games with an untested backup. This was after losing his entire RB corp to NFL and the weed bug.

Then he coached his team to the playoff game. Kudos sir!

IMHO, there is a huge difference for the players playing in the Rose/Sugar/Orange Bowl as a consolation game as opposed to playing in the Pinstripe Bowl. First, and this is really self serving as a fan, but I love watching our Irish play. Whether it be against Clemson or Bowling Green. We wait seven months or so for the season to start, so I try to enjoy every second of it. Also, the consolation bowls seems to be a great opportunity for some of the back ups to play and show the staff what they have for next season, especially with NFL prospects opting out of these games. Don't know how the players would feel playing in the 2019/2020 Rose/Sugar/Orange with nothing really at stake, but maybe their competitive juices would be flowing on a huge national stage like this, plus a week of attention, food, parties, and sightseeing with your buddies may seem like it's worth it.

IMHO, there is a huge difference for the players playing in the Rose/Sugar/Orange Bowl as a consolation game as opposed to playing in the Pinstripe Bowl. First, and this is really self serving as a fan, but I love watching our Irish play. Whether it be against Clemson or Bowling Green. We wait seven months or so for the season to start, so I try to enjoy every second of it. Also, the consolation bowls seems to be a great opportunity for some of the back ups to play and show the staff what they have for next season, especially with NFL prospects opting out of these games. Don't know how the players would feel playing in the 2019/2020 Rose/Sugar/Orange with nothing really at stake, but maybe their competitive juices would be flowing on a huge national stage like this, plus a week of attention, food, parties, and sightseeing with your buddies may seem like it's worth it.
I would think they would be really motivated if they really love Notre Dame. Especially considering it's been so long since we've even been competitive in a major bowl, let alone won.

The " major bowl " thing is a joke in the current landscape of college football. Would you really feel satisfied if ND beat say Memphis in NY 6 bowl game ? I'd much rather see them play say Texas A&M in another venue. If they don't make the playoffs who cares where they play ? They're all consolation games.
N D will never win a N C with Kelly as coach. He is a non- motivator his teams play with no fire .

N D will never win a N C with Kelly as coach. He is a non- motivator his teams play with no fire .

Didn’t two of his teams go undefeated during the regular season, with another team being just two plays away from a perfect regular season ?

Were those teams not motivated?

Which trophy case does that go in?

Do the players get rings?

If a college football player needs a coach to motivate him, he’s not playing the right sport.

The desire to compete and the will to win are inherent qualities that need little in the way of motivation from a coach.

If a college football player needs a coach to motivate him, he’s not playing the right sport.

The desire to compete and the will to win are inherent qualities that need little in the way of motivation from a coach.
This is completely not true, and if you watched one of the Lou Holtz pregame speeches you would change your tune. He was one of the best motivators of all time.

When they interviewed Kelly before the Clemson game he mentioned that they were going to treat that game like any other. The problem is that the game isn't just any other game, it's a playoff game with everything on the line!!

What happens? We come out flat offensively, fumbling the ball, dropping passes, and Coach Long calls plays like we're playing Vanderbilt in September. That's what happened and the results speak for themselves.

This is completely not true, and if you watched one of the Lou Holtz pregame speeches you would change your tune. He was one of the best motivators of all time.

When they interviewed Kelly before the Clemson game he mentioned that they were going to treat that game like any other. The problem is that the game isn't just any other game, it's a playoff game with everything on the line!!

What happens? We come out flat offensively, fumbling the ball, dropping passes, and Coach Long calls plays like we're playing Vanderbilt in September. That's what happened and the results speak for themselves.

So it’s your position that pregame speeches are the sole motivating factor ?

How on earth did ND go undefeated during the regular season without Lou Holtz there to give the pregame talk.

How many pregame talks have you heard Holtz and Kelly give that weren’t for the cameras ?

So it’s your position that pregame speeches are the sole motivating factor ?

How on earth did ND go undefeated during the regular season without Lou Holtz there to give the pregame talk.

How many pregame talks have you heard Holtz and Kelly give that weren’t for the cameras ?
These are college student athletes,(a lot of them are kids) they aren't NFL players making millions.

Motivation is a major factor in college sports, it always has been. That's why you hear people talking about finals week, bye weeks, trap games ect...It's also why major upsets happen.

It's on the coaches to make sure your team is motivated and ready to play on the biggest of stages. If you truly don't believe that then I can't help you, as it should be obvious to anyone that watches college sports.

Judging by the past weeks CF Live shows and the new ESPN hype video, it's Michigan, Ohio State, Clemson, and Bama. No one else need apply.

These are college student athletes,(a lot of them are kids) they aren't NFL players making millions.

Motivation is a major factor in college sports, it always has been. That's why you hear people talking about finals week, bye weeks, trap games ect...It's also why major upsets happen.

It's on the coaches to make sure your team is motivated and ready to play on the biggest of stages. If you truly don't believe that then I can't help you, as it should be obvious to anyone that watches college sports.

Then tell us how Kelly was able to produce two 12-0 teams along with one team that was 2 plays away from 12-0 without motivating his players.

One of my knocks on Kelly was his interviewing for the Eagles job when he should have been preparing for Alabama.

Then tell us how Kelly was able to produce two 12-0 teams along with one team that was 2 plays away from 12-0 without motivating his players.

One of my knocks on Kelly was his interviewing for the Eagles job when he should have been preparing for Alabama.
I just told you, hell he said it.

He treats the major bowl games, playoff games ect... like they're just another game, while the other team comes out with fire in their eyes.

I've never heard a coach say that in the pregame interviews, when I first hear it, it blew my mind.

By the way, I don't care about beating mediocre teams in the regular season. I've said that many times on this board, Brian Kelly has beating ONE team that finished in the top 10 in a decade. ONE team.

By the way, I don't care about beating mediocre teams in the regular season. I've said that many times on this board, Brian Kelly has beating ONE team that finished in the top 10 in a decade. ONE team.

That’s a bullshit evasive statement.

The metric is, what was the opponent rated on the day that they played ND, not at the end of the season.

If ND beat them, they’re going to drop out of the top 10.

But i’ll Give you one, albeit controversial, FSU where the official stole the game with a bogus call combined with their failure to make a legitimate call.

That’s a bullshit evasive statement.

The metric is, what was the opponent rated on the day that they played ND, not at the end of the season.

If ND beat them, they’re going to drop out of the top 10.

But i’ll Give you one, albeit controversial, FSU where the official stole the game with a bogus call combined with their failure to make a legitimate call.
It's sad that apathy has made us okay with mediocre, it's really sad.

I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me so let's agree to disagree.

That being said, I advise you to go back and watch that tape against Clemson, it speaks for itself.

It almost looks like our coach was shaving points, it was that bad.

We weren't anywhere close to resembling a competent team. We aren't any closer to winning anything worthwhile than we were 7 years ago.

I'm TIRED of moral victories, I want something we can hang our hat on. It's clear at this point it isn't going to happen under Brian Kelly unfortunately.

This is a little nitpicking but he beat 2 teams that finished in the top 10, Mich St in 2013 and Stanford in 2012. Still, your point is valid, not enough big wins.

It's sad that apathy has made us okay with mediocre, it's really sad.

I'm not going to convince you and you're not going to convince me so let's agree to disagree.

That being said, I advise you to go back and watch that tape against Clemson, it speaks for itself.

It almost looks like our coach was shaving points, it was that bad.

We weren't anywhere close to resembling a competent team. We aren't any closer to winning anything worthwhile than we were 7 years ago.

I'm TIRED of moral victories, I want something we can hang our hat on. It's clear at this point it isn't going to happen under Brian Kelly unfortunately.

Was that the players or the coach or both.

Dropped passes isn’t the coach.

Sacks by Clemson DLine isn’t the coach.

Non-PI calls isn’t the coach.

I do question preparation and game plans vs Alabama and Clemson.

Still, going undefeated in 2 seasons and 2 plays away from another undefeated season is impressive

Was that the players or the coach or both.

Dropped passes isn’t the coach.

Sacks by Clemson DLine isn’t the coach.

Non-PI calls isn’t the coach.

I do question preparation and game plans vs Alabama and Clemson.

Still, going undefeated in 2 seasons and 2 plays away from another undefeated season is impressive
Nothing like making 5 million a year with no accountability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT