ADVERTISEMENT

Football Big news developing regarding Notre Dame's pursuit of a transfer QB

Eric Hansen

Posts Like A Champion
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
What a way to start Friday morning ...

Wake Forest quarterback Sam Hartman is set to transfer to Notre Dame sometime after tonight’s Gasparilla Bowl matchup in Tampa, Fla., between the Demon Deacons (7-5) and Missouri (6-6).
Kickoff is 6:30 p.m. on ESPN.

That’s according to Conor O’Neill from our Rivals partner site at Deacons Illustrated. O’Neill cited an anonymous source. We haven’t had a chance to independently confirm this on Notre Dame’s end but plan to.
The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Hartman is a fifth-year player with one season of eligibility remaining. Going into his bowl game, he ranks 12th nationally in pass efficiency, just ahead of North Carolina’s Drake Maye.

Hartman’s pass-efficiency rating is 160.3. The only QBs in Notre Dame history with a higher season rating are Jimmy Clausen (2009) and Bob Williams (1949), both at 161.4.

Going into the Missouri game, Hartman in 11 games has completed 247 of 392 passes (63%) for 3,421 yards and 35 touchdowns. He’s thrown 11 interceptions. He has rushed for a net of 114 yards on 94 carries with 1 TD, but was much more prolific for the Deacons in the run game in 2021 — 363 yards on 117 carries and 11 rushing TDs.

Hartman was a three-star prospect coming out of Oceanside Collegiate Academy in Mt, Pleasant, S.C., in the 2018 recruiting cycle — the same year the Irish signed Phil Jurkovec at QB.

Hartman would compete with primarily sophomore Tyler Buchner in the spring to be Notre Dame’s starter in 2023. Buchner will be 21st-ranked Notre Dame’s starting QB in the Gator Bowl against No. 19 South Carolina, Dec. 30 at Jacksonville, Fla. He started the first two regular-season games for the Irish (8-4), then missed the next 10 with a shoulder injury.

Junior Drew Pyne, who started those 10 games in Buchner’s absence, entered the transfer portal on Dec. 5 and has since landed at Arizona State.

From O’Neill: Based on Wake Forest head coach Dave Clawson's comments on a few occasions this month, it's seemed increasingly likely that Hartman wouldn't be headed to the NFL after the season, as had been the implication since the spring when Hartman originally said this would be his final season.

"I think Sam wants to go to the NFL,” Clawson said Tuesday. “He's been made aware that if he goes in the portal, there's going to be some very lucrative (NIL) opportunities for him. And it's from very specific schools. ... If Sam decides that's what he wants to do, I wish him all the best. This guy has done nothing but everything right for five years at Wake Forest. And I don't want to do anything to hurt him or what he's going to do.

"I think Sam wants to play really well in the bowl game. He wants to finish his Wake Forest career on a high and I'm sure he'll take some afterward and figure out what he wants to do. And whatever decision that is, whatever choice that is, we support him 100%. ... I told him, 'Whatever you do, Sam, there's no hard feelings.'"

We’ll update this report throughout the day.

4 p.m. update (Tyler James): As you can imagine, there's not much coming from Notre Dame's side of things today. The Irish can't have direct contact with Hartman until he's entered the portal. Obviously, Conor O'Neill believes that will happen and it's only a matter of time until he ends up at ND. Notre Dame can't know for certain that Hartman is coming to South Bend rather than going somewhere else or into the NFL Draft pool until he makes that clear. Certainly, Hartman can be aware of the opportunity available at Notre Dame as it's publicly said it's looking for a quarterback.

I don't have a timeline to share on how everything will all play out, so we'll have to be patient. I imagine either Hartman, Clawson or both will be asked about it after tonight's Gasparilla Bowl.

11:10 p.m. update (Tyler James):

From Wake Forest's postgame press conference after a 27-17 win over Missouri ...

11:47 p.m. update (Tyler James):

In the thread linked below, I've recapped where we currently stand with some details on what could come next and more on Hartman's career.

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News