ADVERTISEMENT

Best Secondary in the Country?

IrishMike409

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 27, 2011
With Morrison and Watts back, the Secondary could be elite.

Who else do you guys think could/will emerge and help that group ascend?

Grey?
Mickey?
Shuler?
Minich?
Clark?

The safety position next to Watts is a huge question mark. Shuler better grow up quick. Losing out on P. Bowen and others in previous classes really hurt.
On paper, this is our weak spot. Would not be surprising if we get a transfer to fill this. But, we do have some young guys who might prove ready. Shuler is the obvious choice, and I liked him a ton coming out of high school, but we shouldn’t sleep on Tallich, an impressive preferred walk on from Wyoming.

On paper, this is our weak spot. Would not be surprising if we get a transfer to fill this. But, we do have some young guys who might prove ready. Shuler is the obvious choice, and I liked him a ton coming out of high school, but we shouldn’t sleep on Tallich, an impressive preferred walk on from Wyoming.
Just so I’m clear….this weak spot is more of a “strong safety”, where Watts plays more of a “free safety” role.

Hoping Shuler, Tallich, or Minich step up. If not, is there merit to moving Grey or Mickey to S?

Just so I’m clear….this weak spot is more of a “strong safety”, where Watts plays more of a “free safety” role.

Hoping Shuler, Tallich, or Minich step up. If not, is there merit to moving Grey or Mickey to S?
No. They are definite corners and we need them. We cant make a strength a weakness

They will be the number 2 and 3 corners which are always needed in a game and all season

Our 4th corner isn't too strong in Tucker. But not bad for a 4th

Reactions: IrishMike409
Grey got some serious burn this year and should step right in for Cam. Mickey to safety might be the best thing unless the portal has a better one.

Grey got some serious burn this year and should step right in for Cam. Mickey to safety might be the best thing unless the portal has a better one.
Again, Jaden Mickey isn't moving to safety, IMO.

I am pretty sure any of the young safety's can play at least as well as DJ Brown did this year.

Irishmike, I can get confused by the different terms used for positions in today’s college football. So perhaps my answer reflects this. But I consider Watts a strong safety, and the open position our weak safety.

I agree with Golson than neither Grey or Mickey are likely to be moved; although Grey did play some nickel in the Sun Bowl.

Irishmike, I can get confused by the different terms used for positions in today’s college football. So perhaps my answer reflects this. But I consider Watts a strong safety, and the open position our weak safety.

I agree with Golson than neither Grey or Mickey are likely to be moved; although Grey did play some nickel in the Sun Bowl.
Thanks Telx. I get confused as well, and I don’t have the football playing background that most of you do.

Nonetheless…..Shuler, Tallich, Minich…..there is big time opportunity for someone who wants it bad enough. Go make it happen fellas.

Happy New Year my friend. I always enjoy and appreciate your contributions and expertise here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Telx1
We got some really good db development under this coaching staff. Going based on track record I'm confident these coaches will find a solution

Thanks Telx. I get confused as well, and I don’t have the football playing background that most of you do.

Nonetheless…..Shuler, Tallich, Minich…..there is big time opportunity for someone who wants it bad enough. Go make it happen fellas.

Happy New Year my friend. I always enjoy and appreciate your contributions and expertise here.
Thank you Irish….and the same goes for you, along with best wishes for a great fun filled healthy new year.

Im hoping ND can pull a vet safety in the next portal window. Man we get by A&M in the 1st game think 11-1 is the floor.

Im hoping ND can pull a vet safety in the next portal window. Man we get by A&M in the 1st game think 11-1 is the floor.
Winning at USC game 12 will be just as tough IMO. 2024 schedule, which also includes Florida St., is a challenging one.

Winning at USC game 12 will be just as tough IMO. 2024 schedule, which also includes Florida St., is a challenging one.
ND's 2024 schedule is honestly not that good. There are only 3 logical top 25 teams A&M, FSU, & USC. Maybe 4 if Lville progresses. There is major roster turnover with FSU, they have to replace pretty much its whole D and oline. A&M has had major defections as well. USC could be good but they have a tough schedule before they get to us.

If the Irish can get Heard from Northwestern that would solve the nickel problem. Clark could be at safety and if he can't cut it try Shuler or Talish. Minch is gonna be good eventually too. 25' gotta have a strong db class -cb and safety. Taylor and Thomas are good starts. Man ND is losing some heavy hitters after 24'-Mills,Watts,Cross,Oben,Morrison,Kiser,Botelho,Clark. 7-8 of starting unit.

ND's 2024 schedule is honestly not that good. There are only 3 logical top 25 teams A&M, FSU, & USC. Maybe 4 if Lville progresses. There is major roster turnover with FSU, they have to replace pretty much its whole D and oline. A&M has had major defections as well. USC could be good but they have a tough schedule before they get to us.
Louisville and GT could be top 25 teams as well

If the Irish can get Heard from Northwestern that would solve the nickel problem. Clark could be at safety and if he can't cut it try Shuler or Talish. Minch is gonna be good eventually too. 25' gotta have a strong db class -cb and safety. Taylor and Thomas are good starts. Man ND is losing some heavy hitters after 24'-Mills,Watts,Cross,Oben,Morrison,Kiser,Botelho,Clark. 7-8 of starting unit.
I dont think Clark is a safety but we'll see. At least not in a full time role

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT