ADVERTISEMENT

Being down 3 wide receivers hurt more than I thought

Quest4Twelve

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Aug 31, 2009
I honestly thought Merriweather, Tyree and TE's plus the running game would've been enough.

We’re in a day and age that if a guy isn’t stepping up to be the guy, he probably never will. A lot of posters on this board making excuses for Merriweather and saying the same things about “he can be so good if he works on this/that.” It was always/still is the same thing with Buchner With some of these posters. You get caught up in high school highlight film and think we have a team with All Americans at every position.

Face it, some guys don’t have it. Look at Zacharia Branch at USC, look at what Omarion Miller did this weekend for Colorado. True freshman showing up and stepping up. In my opinion, Merriweather has been given the opportunity on a silver platter and refuses to even sniff it. Our WR room is so bad thanks to Kelly/Alexander that Merriweather has to play the entire game. Things are looking better, but it starts with Greathouse and Flores at WR, not any of the other guys recruited by Kelly and company.

We’re in a day and age that if a guy isn’t stepping up to be the guy, he probably never will. A lot of posters on this board making excuses for Merriweather and saying the same things about “he can be so good if he works on this/that.” It was always/still is the same thing with Buchner With some of these posters. You get caught up in high school highlight film and think we have a team with All Americans at every position.

Face it, some guys don’t have it. Look at Zacharia Branch at USC, look at what Omarion Miller did this weekend for Colorado. True freshman showing up and stepping up. In my opinion, Merriweather has been given the opportunity on a silver platter and refuses to even sniff it. Our WR room is so bad thanks to Kelly/Alexander that Merriweather has to play the entire game. Things are looking better, but it starts with Greathouse and Flores at WR, not any of the other guys recruited by Kelly and company.
"All paths lead to Rome."

Finding outliers around the country who contribute early at WR is commendable. Allow this kid to develop over 4 seasons before telling us "....some guys don't have it..."

Society is in a day and age of instant gratification and if it's not met, people get agitated.

Patience.

"All paths lead to Rome."

Finding outliers around the country who contribute early at WR is commendable. Allow this kid to develop over 4 seasons before telling us "....some guys don't have it..."

Society is in a day and age of instant gratification and if it's not met, people get agitated.

Patience.
Yes, he might be a star in Year three and/or year four; but thus far, he has underperformed expectations by a ton. Expectations created by his one long TD last year against Stanford, and expectations from the projections of numerous so-called experts that had access to some of ND’s Spring practices, and expectations from the coaches hyper comments

Reactions: IrishMike409
I honestly thought Merriweather, Tyree and TE's plus the running game would've been enough.
We were only down receivers at one WR position.

Duke’s DLine played very well, our OLine not so much

What’s the speculation about Braylon James? Is he not able to grasp the play book or is he just not physically ready? Given the injuries, I mean if he can’t be called on to help in the Duke game…

One thing I do know. That Rico Flores is exceling in the fire as a true frosh.

Flores and Evans huge catches on the final drive. Estime and the run game for the game winner. That's called having enough.

Colzie made a few key catches in games, would be great to get him back as well as Greathouse and Thomas.

I think some of Sam's misses were receivers missing their spots. Definitely need all those guys back this week.

obtuse as usual. It's okay to say "you're right." It's a ****in team game. 21 points. Defense scored none. They did their part. Offense "had enough" to get it done.

obtuse as usual. It's okay to say "you're right." It's a ****in team game. 21 points. Defense scored none. They did their part. Offense "had enough" to get it done.
Offense stunk 2 games in a row. We lost 1 and barely won the other

Offense isn't holding up their end. Need much more from them

Reactions: tbonesays
Offense stunk 2 games in a row. We lost 1 and barely won the other

Offense isn't holding up their end. Need much more from them
Although those were 2 of the 3 best defenses we'll face all year.

Although those were 2 of the 3 best defenses we'll face all year.
They are. And the weird part is Ohio St. has 85 players on scholarship, many of whom are damn good defensive players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT