ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody Following the Football World Cup?

The only thing that bugs me is when I watch a USA game and people, who I assume live here, are wearing and cheering for the foreign country we are playing. cough-cough Mexico.

My wife, kids, and me went to Croatia vs Mexico at LA Colosseum a few years back. 80k Mexico supporters vs 5k Croatian supporters. The Mexicans were extremely well behaved and actually took matters into their own hands when the usual minority of village idiots threw water bottles at our packed ranks.

And there were quite a few American flags. Croatian-Americans almost always have an American flag feature on our Croatia t-shirts. Croatians in Anglo-American nations support them to the nth degree.

Funny, because Croatians in Germany and France aren't nearly as supportive if those countries.

Reactions: TorontoHrvat
PS am a Croatia, Real Madrid and Notre Dame fan.

I made the trek to Notre Dame for the Clemson game....was amazing. Spent a fortune at the book store and witht the s.hitty Canadian peso, it hurt even more...lol...but great time, great win.

Reactions: banmate6
You guys are only claiming this Croatian pedigree because they made the final last time. You're nothing but bandwagoneers.....

Whatever you say son, let the adults talk WC, you don't have a clue obviously...lol.
I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. So do you have anything else to say about Croatia? That's three of you now, that are claiming Croatian roots. What are the odds... So as a 'Croat', which is a fairly unflattering word now that you mention it, do you think there's anyone uglier that's ever won the golden boot than Luka Modric?

Let the adults talk. You actually said that. That's worth an early-morning shudder....

I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that. So do you have anything else to say about Croatia? That's three of you now, that are claiming Croatian roots. What are the odds... So as a 'Croat', which is a fairly unflattering word now that you mention it, do you think there's anyone uglier that's ever won the golden boot than Luka Modric?

Let the adults talk. You actually said that. That's worth an early-morning shudder....

What am I if not Croatian? I immigrated to the USA and both my parents are Croatian. I have a house there and visit often. When I retire I will live there 6 months, 6 months in the USA.

I've played on Croatian-American soccer teams all my life. At the highest level. My wife is California born but also has Croatian parents...unfortunately they root for USC!

You have to try Croatian food. Visit Croatia. I think if you do, you'll find something more flattering to day.

And if Notre Dame should get a coach like Bill, Nick, or Pete, I'm sure you'd be more accommodating. Mind you, let's now dwell on Joe Kuharic.

:)

Reactions: TorontoHrvat

Commenting on how someone looks and calling them "ugly". You sound like a clown. No wonder so many have you on ignore. Time to grow up son. Get back to your mom's basement now, let the adults talk footie.

#proudtobeCroat

And because of Bill, Nick, and Pete.

So it's a bunch of front running.

Just wanted to correct you!

:D
Are all Croatians this self-aware, and kind of self-involved about their European origins? I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

So one last question, if the USMNT and Croatia's should happen to cross paths in this upcoming WC.... who you pulling for?

Commenting on how someone looks and calling them "ugly". You sound like a clown. No wonder so many have you on ignore. Time to grow up son. Get back to your mom's basement now, let the adults talk footie.

#proudtobeCroat
So I will take that as a 'NO'. He's the ugliest. I guess I could google a nice head shot of the guy. You know I think I will, I'll try to make it the ugliest of the lot....

dcheqkk-8fe15a7d-581a-4b89-8f7e-a55a01a5b97b.jpg

What am I if not Croatian? I immigrated to the USA and both my parents are Croatian. I have a house there and visit often. When I retire I will live there 6 months, 6 months in the USA.

I've played on Croatian-American soccer teams all my life. At the highest level. My wife is California born but also has Croatian parents...unfortunately they root for USC!

You have to try Croatian food. Visit Croatia. I think if you do, you'll find something more flattering to day.

And if Notre Dame should get a coach like Bill, Nick, or Pete, I'm sure you'd be more accommodating. Mind you, let's now dwell on Joe Kuharic.

Nice. Me too. Have a house in Zagreb. Try and go each summer for now. Is about 1 1/2 hours to the coast. When I retire, same plan, 1/2 time there, 1/2 time up here.

The Croatian coast is simply amazing.

So I will take that as a 'NO'. He's the ugliest. I guess I could google a nice head shot of the guy. You know I think I will, I'll try to make it the ugliest of the lot....

He captains Croatia, stars for Real Madrid, makes like 15 million a year, has a great family, is beloved around the world...and yet some incel named savyandsasy posting from his mom's basement is fixated how another man looks..you can't make this s.hit up. lol.

Jealousy is a b.itch son. Have you on ignore now as well. Keep reading my posts though, I know you will.

He captains Croatia, stars for Real Madrid, makes like 15 million a year, has a great family, is beloved around the world...and yet some incel named savyandsasy posting from his mom's basement is fixated how another man looks..you can't make this s.hit up. lol.

Jealousy is a b.itch son. Have you on ignore now as well. Keep reading my posts though, I know you will.
Yeah, I bet he'd trade it all in for a chance to get rid of that ugly mug.

You probably should stop, dude. You're getting a little carried away. Good move putting me on ignore. And may all your future online encounters involve little to no.... slights about Croatia. You Croats are surprisingly sensitive. And feisty! Maybe that's why the Russkies were never able to conquer your little country....

Are all Croatians this self-aware, and kind of self-involved about their European origins? I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

So one last question, if the USMNT and Croatia's should happen to cross paths in this upcoming WC.... who you pulling for?

Yes, most are aware and I agree, it's not a good thing...it's a GREAT thing!!! You saw how Bill wears his Croatian colors while coaching the Patriots.

:D

I can't lose if Croatia and the USA play. May the best team win. As to commitment to the USA, I'll offer my stock answer.

I was a US Army officer through ROTC. I pay high enough taxes, more than I get back in return. I'm American, among other things.

Nice. Me too. Have a house in Zagreb. Try and go each summer for now. Is about 1 1/2 hours to the coast. When I retire, same plan, 1/2 time there, 1/2 time up here.

The Croatian coast is simply amazing.

I love Zagreb. Our house is right off Makarska, but I want to buy a home in Zadar actually, as it's better winter living. Zagreb is something else in winter, especially its Christmas festivities...all the lights, trees, and decorations.

Visit. I know you will say I'm biased, but Croatians on average are very good looking people.

The women are tall, thin, shapely, and dress well.

Visit. I know you will say I'm biased, but Croatians on average are very good looking people.

ZAGREB, 30 April 2022 - In Croatia, 65% of its population is overweight, ranking second in Europe after Malta, a press conference in Opatija heard this week ahead of the 8th Croatian Obesity Convention.

Joe Kuharic?? That was ND's coach when my Dad was a student. BK gets all this shit, a good Irishman, when it's that dude who should be living in daily infamy.

And I don't have anything at all against Croatia, absolutely nothing. Just nothing at all. Other than you guys seem to be pretty good at sports. That's about all I and most folks could even think of to say. And maybe that there's cheap real estate to be had there. But if it keeps up like this, I'm going to maybe start developing a thing about Croatia.

Tell your fellow compatriot, even though neither of you are Croatian nationals, that you made it! You made it to the promised land. You don't need to be so defensive.....

ZAGREB, 30 April 2022 - In Croatia, 65% of its population is overweight, ranking second in Europe after Malta, a press conference in Opatija heard this week ahead of the 8th Croatian Obesity Convention.

I call BS. I visit a lot and know what I see. Same with Croatians abroad.

Show a credible study.

I can say this much, and I'm not just making this up to be conversational. I've always felt Croatia was the coolest of the former Yugoslav countries. And that Croatian basketball players had spunk. They weren't intimidated by American stars. Probably true for all former Yugoslavian players. Their soccer players were always assholes, and I mean that in a good way. Very competitive, very feisty. You couldn't turn your back on them....

And apparently they have nice beaches. As a kid who was totally into geography, I always thought of the Adriatic as this spooky part of the ocean, certainly compared to the Mediterranean, with the French Riviera and the Costa Del Sol and whatnot. But I was misinformed! Croatia has nice beaches.....

Joe Kuharic?? That was ND's coach when my Dad was a student. BK gets all this shit, a good Irishman, when it's that dude who should be living in daily infamy.

And I don't have anything at all against Croatia, absolutely nothing. Just nothing at all. Other than you guys seem to be pretty good at sports. That's about all I and most folks could even think of to say. And maybe that there's cheap real estate to be had there. But if it keeps up like this, I'm going to maybe start developing a thing about Croatia.

Tell your fellow compatriot, even though neither of you are Croatian nationals, that you made it! You made it to the promised land. You don't need to be so defensive.....

You're mistaking defense with offensive revelry. Come on! As a football fan, you should know the difference.

I like the Irish and uphold CBK. Grew up in a NYC Irish neighborhood. Almost married an Irish girl.

If you develop a thing about Croatia, bring it. We love to spite naysayers, especially in sports. It's a quality called "inat". Croatia beat Saudi Arabia today 1-0 in a World Cup tune up to kick things off.

We will see.

Like I said, visit. I am sure you will like it. Might make you a Croatia rooter.

I can say this much, and I'm not just making this up to be conversational. I've always felt Croatia was the coolest of the former Yugoslav countries. And that Croatian basketball players had spunk. They weren't intimidated by American stars. Probably true for all former Yugoslavian players. Their soccer players were always assholes, and I mean that in a good way. Very competitive, very feisty. You couldn't turn your back on them....

And apparently they have nice beaches. As a kid who was totally into geography, I always thought of the Adriatic as this spooky part of the ocean, certainly compared to the Mediterranean, with the French Riviera and the Costa Del Sol and whatnot. But I was misinformed! Croatia has nice beaches.....

Unfortunately we produce good individual basketball players but kinda went down as a team. Serbia is definitely better in basketball, whereas we're better in football.

The beaches rival any in the world. Many Westerners are pleasantly surprised that Croatia is so lucky to have such a coast. Jokes aside, it's a nice vacation.

Croatia is not perfect. Pretty corrupt. Young people who don't work in hi-tech or have inheritance often have to leave to the West to save and buy property. But that's a book in and of itself.

Suffice it to say: Croatian politicians can suck the big one.

Makarska is beautiful. Love Zadar also, we went there last time in Cro.

My cousin is in Omis, which is nice too, and close to Split which is a fun city.

And the jewel of the Adriatic Dubrovnik is simply amazing.

We also do day trips to Crikvenica from Zagreb as isn't far, pick up my cousin in Karlovac along the way and off we go.

Just a completely different lifestyle there, people work to live, as opposed to here, live to work. Love waking up before the family, and walking over to the local cafe by our house, and enjoy a coffee to start the day.

PS have been to quite a few dinamo games...even caught a CL qualifier once and sat with the Bad Blue Boys...was crazy...police in riot gear, BBB going nuts...definitely won't sit with them again...lol.

You're mistaking defense with offensive revelry. Come on! As a football fan, you should know the difference.

I like the Irish and uphold CBK. Grew up in a NYC Irish neighborhood. Almost married an Irish girl.

If you develop a thing about Croatia, bring it. We love to spite naysayers, especially in sports. It's a quality called "inat". Croatia beat Saudi Arabia today 1-0 in a World Cup tune up to kick things off.

We will see.

Like I said, visit. I am sure you will like it. Might make you a Croatia rooter.
Yes, you do! You love to spite naysayers. That appears to be the case....

Can't say I'm planning any trips there anytime soon, but as a little throw-in, I do like Croatia's jerseys, those checkerboard jerseys. Those are sweet....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT