ADVERTISEMENT

5 star CA LB Caleb Kelly

coolirish9

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 7, 2011
just read where Kelly basically said that the notre dame visit was eye opening and that it is a Oklahoma vs notre dame battle for his services as this visit seemed knock Michigan out of the picture now as they were one of his top two teams until this weekend. this battle for him could come down to in home visits between coaches Kelly and stoops. always good to see our irish bump Michigan out of the picture with recruits when it come to officials

Reactions: 34343434
huge news. don't know much about this kid other than he's a 5 star. But for 1 visit to change him from a long shot to a co leader is pleasantly surprising. If we were able to land him to go w/ Hayes that would be some serious athleticism in this class. Not to mention McCollough is still hanging out there. sounds like that will end up ND vs A&M.

well D_Master the notre dame campus is unique looking wise compared to campuses like Michigan and ohio st and so a kid is either going not like it at all or fall in love with it and Kelly seems to have loved it. the McCollough kid is hard to figure out because i'll read updates one day that talks about our irishare the team to beat with his family and then a couple of days later i'll read how A&M is still the team to beat

just read where Kelly basically said that the notre dame visit was eye opening and that it is a Oklahoma vs notre dame battle for his services as this visit seemed knock Michigan out of the picture now as they were one of his top two teams until this weekend. this battle for him could come down to in home visits between coaches Kelly and stoops. always good to see our irish bump Michigan out of the picture with recruits when it come to officials

Would be a huge pick up considering there is no guaranteed starters at LB for next season. Plus teaming up with Hayes and some of these DB's could make a strong unit for the next 3-4 years.

Not so sure Michigan is out of the picture...but hope so...we could use this player...but the wolverines are tough,,,,,

Kelly is the type of kid we get 1 of every year it seems. Someone that starts out a long shot but falls in love with ND along the way. that said, until we land a kid from Fresno I wont hold my breathe that he ends up irish in the end. Would be an outstanding addition though. I love that we have probably close to 10 kids that we have a shot at landing and filling up the last 5 or 6 spots.

Not so sure Michigan is out of the picture...but hope so...we could use this player...but the wolverines are tough,,,,,

hmm; UM's head coach criticized the university for bogus curiculums for football players; is a most dour personality and probably a short timer, but you think a kid a kid and his parents who value education would say, 'hey, UM looks like a good choice' ? yikes!

Last edited:
hmm; UM's head coach criticised the university for bogus curiculums for football players; is a most dour personality and probably a short timer, but you think a kid a kid and his parents who value education would say, 'hey, UM looks like a good choice' ? yikes!
Before you chirp about education and a myriad of other things you know nothing about you may want to take a course in spelling rather spend your whole day on this site

Reactions: Izo and john0gaunt
Kelly said in an article that I read yesterday that he hasn't talked to Michigan in a while and plus the california schools for some reason aren't recruiting him very hard and so it is basically an irish vs sooners battle. Michigan wanting bush and jones badly is the main reason that there not recruiting Kelly anymore. the funny thing about it is that our irish are co leaders for jones who Michigan dropped Kelly for and this could be a total slap in the face to Michigan if we not only got Kelly but also got jones

Last edited:
Reactions: Izo
Kelly is the type of kid we get 1 of every year it seems. Someone that starts out a long shot but falls in love with ND along the way. that said, until we land a kid from Fresno I wont hold my breathe that he ends up irish in the end. Would be an outstanding addition though. I love that we have probably close to 10 kids that we have a shot at landing and filling up the last 5 or 6 spots.
I won't hold my breath until he's living in his dorm room and has taken his first batch of tests first semester freshman year. Fresno kids can go poof at any time.

ALL THE LBers!!! Seriously, we are at the co leaders for Kelly and Jones and very high on McColloughs list too. No way we take all 3 so it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

what's funny here is that Michigan stopped recruiting Kelly to go harder after Jonathon jones from florida but after jones visited Michigan they remained only tied with our irish and today loy has put in a cb for our irish to get jones. i'll be laughing if our irish really do get jones after michigan basically dropped Kelly to try and get him

what's funny here is that Michigan stopped recruiting Kelly to go harder after Jonathon jones from florida but after jones visited Michigan they remained only tied with our irish and today loy has put in a cb for our irish to get jones. i'll be laughing if our irish really do get jones after michigan basically dropped Kelly to try and get him

I take Loy CB's w/ a grain of salt. He picks a lot of people to ND. If Wiltfong makes the call, then I think we have very good chance. That said we have a good chance w/ Jones. I think it ultimately comes down to if we get Kelly & McCollough. If we get those 2 we don't have room for Jones. If we get 1 or none then we'd take Jones I think. He's a good player, but I think he's 3rd at best on our board at LB.

you don't take a Jones commitment until the Big 3 decisions are known! I hope the heck that is the way it plays out.
(Kelly, McC, Davis)

I always look at the roster and ask, 'do I have a 'him'?'
In this case, yes; Coney has 4 years left.
The other 3 are big time prospects with much higher ceilings.

Hes not coming to ND. He Is going to be a Sooner and he already knows It. The visits are a precaution to say he at least went through the process the careful way. If he doesnt commit to Oklahoma I will smack my own mother In the face.

Reactions: HarpuaIrish
well you could be right irish-eyes83 but you could also be wrong because as of last night I was reading that he and his mom and aunt were still posting pics and basically bragging about the trip on twitter two days after being home and plus some insiders are saying that our irish are tied with the sooners. if you are wrong then please don't slap you're mom too hard lol

d
you don't take a Jones commitment until the Big 3 decisions are known! I hope the heck that is the way it plays out.
(Kelly, McC, Davis)

determine "higher ceilings "? using your very cloudy crystal ball ?

Reactions: Bodizephax
(Kelly, McC, Davis)

i believe that coney played this year....will only have three years left...unless we can manufacture a medical redshirt somehow

Reactions: Bodizephax
Kelly seemed to really like his visit to ND, but I think just too little too late. But you never know. I did love what Kelly said about Michigan, "I haven't heard from Michigan since my visit in September so I'm not sure what's going on there". Michigan really took a pass this one, or just dropped the ball?

The Michigan coaching staff has not contacted Kelly since his official visit. Not sure why.

for anyone who wants an honest discussion on this issue, I will be glad to offer what I know. Harbaugh has a pattern of conduct that is becoming more and more apparent. He makes a pretty hard charge at the kids he wants at UM. If they reciprocate interest, he stays on them. If they don't reciprocate he quietly lets them go. Take for example some names you all are familiar with: Ben Bredeson and Carlo Kemp. When their interest in UM became obvious, Harbaugh went "all in" and was laser focused on their recruitment. UM was also actively involved in Khalid Kareem up until the time he verbaled to Alabama. Once he did so, Harbaugh never contacted him again, not even after he de-committed from there (you don't have to take my word for it, a quick google search will confirm). From what has been reported on the UM sites. Caleb Kelly has been a strong Oklahoma lean. He was high on UM's radar but we seemed to gain no real traction with him, so his recruitment has gone stone cold. UM has not contacted him in weeks. At LB, Harbaugh seems now to be focused on Devin Bush Jr. and Jonathon Jones. With 2 OLB already committed in this class he really doesn't need more than 3-4 total so he has narrowed his focus. Not taking the shotgun approach, which most believe is pretty smart. There has also been a lot of talk that a 5th yr LB transfer is a distinct possibility.

Reactions: hoosierstateII
for anyone who wants an honest discussion on this issue, I will be glad to offer what I know. Harbaugh has a pattern of conduct that is becoming more and more apparent. He makes a pretty hard charge at the kids he wants at UM. If they reciprocate interest, he stays on them. If they don't reciprocate he quietly lets them go. Take for example some names you all are familiar with: Ben Bredeson and Carlo Kemp. When their interest in UM became obvious, Harbaugh went "all in" and was laser focused on their recruitment. UM was also actively involved in Khalid Kareem up until the time he verbaled to Alabama. Once he did so, Harbaugh never contacted him again, not even after he de-committed from there (you don't have to take my word for it, a quick google search will confirm). From what has been reported on the UM sites. Caleb Kelly has been a strong Oklahoma lean. He was high on UM's radar but we seemed to gain no real traction with him, so his recruitment has gone stone cold. UM has not contacted him in weeks. At LB, Harbaugh seems now to be focused on Devin Bush Jr. and Jonathon Jones. With 2 OLB already committed in this class he really doesn't need more than 3-4 total so he has narrowed his focus. Not taking the shotgun approach, which most believe is pretty smart. There has also been a lot of talk that a 5th yr LB transfer is a distinct possibility.
That's not entirely true...what is true that JH can "seem" to go "stone cold" on kids but it is not simply because they don't reciprocate enough interest - he's shown that he is more than willing to work his way into a recruitment even when it seems like a lost cause. In the case of Kareem he went stone cold on him because he "committed" to Michigan then got a call from Saban the night before the announcement which led to Kareem "committing" to Bama. When he changed his mind again...well you are welcome to call it ego but Michigan had moved on, gotten a verbal from Ron Johnson and washed their hands of the Kareem situation.

As far as Kelly...that is a bit more of an odd one but it's been clear from almost the beginning that Michigan didn't think as highly of him as the recruiting services (rankings) did. This is not to say they didn't think highly of him but didn't see a 5* can't miss guy...they had/have other guys as high and higher on their board. One thing I've seen said by many (in the know) is that they feel the kid is...well "project" tends to be more related to a "sleeper"...so don't want to use that word...so let's just say a guy that they felt was a few years away from contributing and Michigan had a need for guys at LB that can play early...then something happened on his visit where I guess he and JH didn't vibe so well so it looks like Michigan moved on. This doesn't mean they didn't think he was a good player (or that Michigan couldn't be dead wrong on their evaluation)...just that he wasn't a guy you went all out for, until the end, to land no matter where you stand with him.

That is not accurate at all. Most accounts were that Michigan led after his OV, but Harbaugh seems to have taken a pass on him. I do know that Harbaugh has Bush Jr. and Jonathan Jones higher on his LB board.

That is not accurate at all. Most accounts were that Michigan led after his OV, but Harbaugh seems to have taken a pass on him. I do know that Harbaugh has Bush Jr. and Jonathan Jones higher on his LB board.

I can tell you for certain that the 2 UM recruiting analysts I follow, Sam Webb and Brandon Brown, have never believed UM led for Caleb Kelly. Webb, in particular, has opined since early fall that Oklahoma was a strong leader for his services. Perhaps you follow someone else who has a different view of things, that's entirely possible. Who are these "most accounts" you refer to?

Well, didn't Michigan get the guy they wanted instead, Bush? Hope we get Jones and Kelly!

I can tell you for certain that the 2 UM recruiting analysts I follow, Sam Webb and Brandon Brown, have never believed UM led for Caleb Kelly. Webb, in particular, has opined since early fall that Oklahoma was a strong leader for his services. Perhaps you follow someone else who has a different view of things, that's entirely possible. Who are these "most accounts" you refer to?
Not sure if pierremc is an ND fan but if he is then I get where he is coming from...the guys from Kelly's region and even some national guys said we led...there was even one west coast analyst who kept who kept coming to our board for months saying OU had faded and Kelly was ours to lose...

However, you are also correct that our own mods (on multiple sites) kept saying he was not going to end up in A2...pretty much said forget about him...based on every thing we've heard it's pretty clear that Michigan stopped going after him

irish insiders have put in a cb for jones to our irisjh over duke and Michigan and insiders today also put in a cb for notre dame for maybe the best LB that our irish and Michigan both wanted in TX 4 star LB Jeffrey McCulloch. well maybe second best LB on Michigan's wish list as they got there number one guy today in Bush

Fresno and Long Beach Poly kids do not choose ND. Someone has to be the first.

It sounded like Kelly was surprised that UM was not pursuing him. He even said, " I never heard back from them since my official visit. I'm not sure what's going on there". So are you saying Kelly is lying? If Harbaugh wants to play hard to get with recruits that fine by us, and I'm sure many other coaches.

It sounded like Kelly was surprised that UM was not pursuing him. He even said, " I never heard back from them since my official visit. I'm not sure what's going on there". So are you saying Kelly is lying? If Harbaugh wants to play hard to get with recruits that fine by us, and I'm sure many other coaches.
Not sure where you read in that post that he thought Kelly is lying...what the Michigan posters have been saying (including myself and the guy you responded to) is that Michigan basically has stopped pursuing him...that quote validates that...we in fact think he is telling the truth

no, I'm not saying Kelly is lying. I think what he says is 100% accurate. For reasons known only to the staff, UM has cooled on him. Whether it's because they think he is likely to end up at OU or if it's because they prefer Bush Jr, JJones, or Dontavious Jackson, I have no idea. And it's not playing "hard to get" it's really a question of how you allocate your resources - time and scholarships.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT