ADVERTISEMENT

30 years to the day

That game !! I mean ND / Miami 88 and ND/FSU 93 get all accolades and rightfully so. However that 92 Penn State game was as good as any. I must have paced five miles in my living room watching that game. One thing I think gets missed. Not only did ND need a long TD drive but a 2 point conversion to win. Against all odds they did both. That was as great a game and ending to a game as any I have ever seen. Thank you for posting. 😎

That game !! I mean ND / Miami 88 and ND/FSU 93 get all accolades and rightfully so. However that 92 Penn State game was as good as any. I must have paced five miles in my living room watching that game. One thing I think gets missed. Not only did ND need a long TD drive but a 2 point conversion to win. Against all odds they did both. That was as great a game and ending to a game as any I have ever seen. Thank you for posting. 😎

You and me both. Had that game taken place this year, the official Penn State thread would have been one big meltdown until the final drive. We were supposed to be much better than Penn State, but they fought us tooth and nail.

You and me both. Had that game taken place this year, the official Penn State thread would have been one big meltdown until the final drive. We were supposed to be much better than Penn State, but they fought us tooth and nail.
Yeah that wasn’t a great PSU team. But they were well coached and ready to play. Still one of my all time favorite ND wins.

Reactions: jdk222 and NDinNJ
I always wondered what the PSU middle linebacker was doing on the TD as he literally just watched Bettis go into the endzone. Brooks was unbelievable this game and all season.

Wow! Hard to believe!

I was at this game about 20 rows up in the end zone where the TD and 2 point conversion were made. Clearly, saw the TD pass to Bettis unfold. Was to the opposite side of the end zone as to where Reggie Brooks caught the 2 point conversion, but the roar let us know!

Was with my Father who passed away a few years ago and the game was not too long after my Mother had passed away (at 55...way to young). Mom was a die hard ND fan, taught us well and had no use for PSU so it was quite an emotional day.

To me, what is best about being a ND fan is the memories of being with family for the games...win or lose!

PS Stopped at the Grotto before the game!

100% agree, Those 3 games in the Holtz era were the most memorable. Even though Penn State finished with 4 or 5 losses, they were a very tough team. I was watching the game with a few PSU fans and they thought it was over when PSU scored to take the lead. The ending was simply incredible.

One thing I noticed...The grass looks much better, than it did years later at that time of year.
I always thought they were letting the field look crummy, early in the Kelly era, to help justify the change to turf.

Reactions: tbonesays
One thing I noticed...The grass looks much better, than it did years later at that time of year.
I always thought they were letting the field look crummy, early in the Kelly era, to help justify the change to turf.
I don't think so. I think they have had different types of grass fields over the years, and some were better than others. Watch a YouTube video of the '73 USC game., for instance, and you'll see a terrible looking field and that was only mid-October. Yet, a few years later, when I was a student, I don't remember it ever looking that bad, even in the late-season games.

I always wondered what the PSU middle linebacker was doing on the TD as he literally just watched Bettis go into the endzone. Brooks was unbelievable this game and all season.
Probably dazed and confused after spending too much time with Coach Sandusky .

Notre Dame defeats Penn State with a dramatic TD and 2 point conversion in the waning seconds.

A great game!
The ND Penn State series was tremendous. The games were always super important and both programs had great kids that were actually student athletes. College football was so much better in those days but I guess when one gets older that's the way everyone feels. Best wishes folks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT