ADVERTISEMENT

10 best college football coaches since 1950

fedman

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2002
I pointed out in the thread on Frank Solich just how great a coaching job was done by Bill Snyder at Kansas State. It got me to thinking about who the greatest coaches were of the modern era, which I arbitrarily started at 1950.

Here is my pick for the 10 best in no particular order since I think it is difficult just to pick the 10 best let alone try to rank them. I made my picks not solely on total wins or total national championships won. I also took into account the history of football success or failure at their school prior to their arrival, difficulty of schedules, etc.

Again, these names are in no particular order:

Nick Saban - Bud Wilkinson - Frank Leahy - Bill Snyder - Bobby Bowden - Bear Bryant - Tom Osborne - Ara Parseghian - Daryl Royal - Urban Meyer.

Just missing the cut: Woody Hayes - Dabo Swinney - Barry Switzer - John McKay - Jimmy Johnson - Joe Paterno (because of the pedophile scandal)

Edit: @NDDadx3 pointed out that I missed Lou Holtz. While I would not put him in my top-10, he surely deserves to be on the just missing the cut list. As a Notre Dame fan for many many years, I am ashamed that I forgot Holtz.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News