ADVERTISEMENT

Would You Be Happy With This Class?

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
I do this a couple times each year in order to drive some discussion. I always try to be as realistic as possible given who I think ND has a realistic chance at landing. Obviously that's fluid, so it changes, but this is what I have right now.

QB: Phil Jurkovec (.9637 Comp)
RB: Markese Stepp (.9091 Comp)
WR: Kevin Austin Jr (.9485 Comp)
WR: Micah Jones (.8807 Comp)
WR: Geordon Porter (.8690 Comp)
TE: George Takacs (.9065 Comp)
TE: Tommy Tremble (.8630 Comp)
OL: Nick Petit-Frere (.9675 Comp)
OL: John Dirksen (.8804 Comp)
OL: Cole Mabry (.8505 Comp)
OL: Finn Derstine (.8707 Comp)
WDE: Jayson Oweh (.9236 Comp)
SDE: Justin Ademilola (.8615 Comp)
NG: Ja'mion Franklin (.8603 Comp)
DT: Jayson Ademilola (.9297 Comp)
Buck: Ovie Oghoufo (.8816 Comp)
Mike: Bo Bauer (.9110 Comp)
Rover: Shayne Simon (.9315 Comp)
ATH: Jack Lamb (.9332 Comp)
S: Derrik Allen (.9659 Comp)
S: DeAngelo Mckenzie (.8496 Comp)
CB: Donte Burton (.8529 Comp)
CB: Kyler Gordon (.9025 Comp)

Total Comp Score: 262.78

Note: That score would have landed ND the #9 class in 2017.

Also of note, I'm projecting a 23 man class in 2018. In 2017, of the 8 classes ahead of the theoretical Notre Dame class I posted, 6 had more recruits than the 23 I'm predicting. Should Notre Dame face some injuries and transfers this season, obviously the class could go as high as 24 or maybe even 25, raising the total class score.

Just a conversation starter. What say you?

I do this a couple times each year in order to drive some discussion. I always try to be as realistic as possible given who I think ND has a realistic chance at landing. Obviously that's fluid, so it changes, but this is what I have right now.

Also of note, I'm projecting a 23 man class in 2018. In 2017, of the 8 classes ahead of the theoretical Notre Dame class I posted, 6 had more recruits than the 23 I'm predicting. Should Notre Dame face some injuries and transfers this season, obviously the class could go as high as 24 or maybe even 25, raising the total class score.

I would take that class. But I still think we get Bracy, & don't get Lamb. So you could one for one swap them at Athlete?

I also was told they are sending out new offers to RBs? So maybe we get a 2nd RB as well? But if they land another top OL, LB or CB then they probably won't take the 2nd RB?

I would take that class. But I still think we get Bracy, & don't get Lamb. So you could one for one swap them at Athlete?

I also was told they are sending out new offers to RBs? So maybe we get a 2nd RB as well? But if they land another top OL, LB or CB then they probably won't take the 2nd RB?

They really want a speed back who can catch and lineup put wide to compliment Stepp, who is an inside runner and a bruiser. They've been targeting guys that fitted that bill. At ASU Norvell threw it a ton to backs out of the backfield on screens, run pass options, swing passes, etc. I remember Grice ripping ND up on in the passing game from his RB spot. Theo Riddick would be a monster in this offense. If ND could find a guy like that, it would be awesome.

Speaking of Tariq Bravy, ND likes him at corner, but man could he be that dynamic athlete that I just described. He reminds me a lot of Grice. For the record, I think that will be Deion McIntosh's role as well. I think know this offense is a great fit for him and really gives him a chance to play down the road if he sticks it out. He has excellent hands out of the backfield and good wiggle. Like Brady, he's that Kenjon Barner that you split out when you want to run two back looks and not take away from your passing game.

Love these topics IIO .. i like how we're moving away from the star-rating and getting more granular with the eval/recruit ratings as well. Good post.

Reactions: irishsportsfan
They really want a speed back who can catch and lineup put wide to compliment Stepp, who is an inside runner and a bruiser. They've been targeting guys that fitted that bill. At ASU Norvell threw it a ton to backs out of the backfield on screens, run pass options, swing passes, etc. I remember Grice ripping ND up on in the passing game from his RB spot. Theo Riddick would be a monster in this offense. If ND could find a guy like that, it would be awesome.

Speaking of Tariq Bravy, ND likes him at corner, but man could he be that dynamic athlete that I just described. He reminds me a lot of Grice. For the record, I think that will be Deion McIntosh's role as well. I think know this offense is a great fit for him and really gives him a chance to play down the road if he sticks it out. He has excellently hands out of the backfield and good wiggle. Like Brady, he's that Kenjon Barner that you split out when you want to run two back looks and not take away from your passing game.

I asked the question, (to the insiders) but no one answered, what if we start landing guys (multiple DBs, LBs, OL) & we get to the limit, is there an odd man out? Do we over commit like other schools?
Let's just say we have 1 schollie left & Salyer, Lamb & a high level CB are all interested? Do we boot somebody else or first come first serve?

If Salyer, Griffith, Lamb, St. Brown, etc, etc wanted to commit to Notre Dame anytime between now and signing day, ND would take their commitment in a heartbeat and figure it out later... They wouldn't do that for lesser recruits, but they are never turning down a top guy, especially at a position of need.

Even if ND goes to 86 or 87 post signing day, we've never seen an off season that didn't include transfers, career ending inuries, random retirements, or academic casualties. They always seem to get to 85 (usually lower) even if innitially we have no knowledge of how it will happen.

Love these topics IIO .. i like how we're moving away from the star-rating and getting more granular with the eval/recruit ratings as well. Good post.

Thanks Chase, I'm trying to dig deeper and maybe provide a little more content during the slow season. I really like how 247 allows you to use the class calculator as well. Really cool and interactive tool.

Care to weigh in on my projected class or a class of your own? Always I terested to hear your take on things.

No, I wouldn't be happy with that finish. The only "pulls" in that whole group would be Lamb and Oweh, with major "misses" of very realistic players at:
  • OT (Petit-Farar & Craig)
  • DE (Booker & Addai)
  • DT (Musthpher)
  • LB (McGrone)
  • CB (Johnson)
  • S (Griffith)
Not to mention the "could gets" like St. Brown, Salyer, J. Smith, T. Smith, etv.

And it also lacks any "suprise gets", which obviously are uncommon, but most years have at least 1 of them

To me, that class is sort of the floor of what we would get this season as long as we're good enough to not have the entire staff fired

Assuming we win more than 8 games, I'm expecting a better class

No, I wouldn't be happy with that finish. The only "pulls" in that whole group would be Lamb and Oweh, with major "misses" of very realistic players at:
  • OT (Petit-Farar & Craig)
  • DE (Booker & Addai)
  • DT (Musthpher)
  • LB (McGrone)
  • CB (Johnson)
  • S (Griffith)
Not to mention the "could gets" like St. Brown, Salyer, J. Smith, T. Smith, etv.

And it also lacks any "suprise gets", which obviously are uncommon, but most years have at least 1 of them

To me, that class is sort of the floor of what we would get this season as long as we're good enough to not have the entire staff fired

Assuming we win more than 8 games, I'm expecting a better class

- Petit-Frere is on my list.

- ND isn't taking Oweh, Booker, Ademilola and Ossai in the same class. No chance in hell they have any chance at 2 SDE and 2 WDE this cycle. Not enough room, nor will all those guys commit on top of each other. Even landing two of those 3 to add to Ademilola would be an enormous coup, as it would be to add Malik-McClain or Ojulari.

- Unless something changes, Mustipher isn't coming. The ND staff isn't overly high on him. They much prefer Franklin and Ademilola and that's warranted given that they were two of the best DT's at the Opening, while most people were unanimous in their thinking that Mustipher was the worst guy there and lacks a lot of upside. Since debuting as a top 50 recruit, he's steadily plummeted down the rankings. Notre Dave's interest in him fell off significantly when Elko arrived. Doesn't fit the system well.

- McGrone is and either / or with Lamb. ND only plays with two linebackers on the field and a Rover. Simon is going to be their take at Rover. Oghoufo is their Buck commitment and Bauer is their Mike commitment. They aren't taking 2 Bucks and 2 Mikes in the same cycle, with a Rover. You exchange McGrone's name for Lamb on my list and the class basically stays the same. I prefer Lamb because he has the frame and coverage skills to play Mike, Buck or Drop, where as McGrone is a Buck who might be able to play Rover. If ND is taking a 3rd backer (not even counting Simon) I want the guy who is most flexible. To me that's Lamb. I'm thrilled if they get McGrone or Lamb, but they won't get both.

- Johnson very well could be Irish but he's also close to committing to Iowa. Either way, he's a solid prospect, but nothing special. His offer list is highly underwhelming and he wouldn't have his 4 star ranking if he played in let's say Florida, Georgia or California. He would not be another solid, regional guy out there. Kyler Gordon is the better, more coveted prospect and even Donte Burton has better film, a national offer list and plays better competition. Much more highly coveted. Johnson is a decent take, but it's not a huge loss if he goes to Iowa, as long as ND can land any number of the suitable, and in my opinion, upgrades at corner.

- I'm with you 100% that Griffith would be a great pull. Right now things aren't looking good though. First he was All Notre Dame, then Ohio State, then Florida State and now Nebraska. The guy is all over the place. Kids like that don't often end up at Notre Dame, but I'm willing to hold my breath on Houston because I think he's the perfect FS compliment to Derrick Allen at SS, I just don't know that he's all that realistic.

Your "could get" list is interesting.

- I agree that landing St. Brown would be amazing. I'm not holding my breath. There are factors working against ND that are out of their control, namely finances and the cost for his parents of having Osiris at Stanford and him at Notre Dame and trying to get to both of their games... Really hope ND can overcome that, but I think he ends up at Stanford or USC (Trojans more than likely, IMO).

- Can Salyer be 2018's Stephon Tuitt? His recruitment reminds me of the three big time tackles that ND chased last year. One from Washington, one from Kentucky and one from Tennessee. All of them visited ND. All of them loved their trip to South Bend and Harry Hiestand. All of them stayed in their region to play for their home teams, as top flight offensive lineman often do... If Salyer leaves the South I think it will be for Notre Dame. But like Trey Smith, I'll belive that he's willing to cross the Mason-Dixon Line when I see it.

- Tyreke Smith has never visited Notre Dame, has cancelled multiple spring visits, told reporters they're not high on his list and released a list of top schools without ND on it... I don't think he belongs on a "could happen" list, at all.

- if "J. Smith" is Jahmir Smith, then "meh". Decent back. Not an enormous loss if ND doesn't land him. Not a class changer if they do. Just solid.

- Regarding a surprise get, I'll grant you that possibility as Notre Dame has been known to get a late flip. Maybe a Jevon Holland type or UCLA or Penn State type of guy. Whether or not the class gets better with a late flip usually has less to do with ND adding a marquee player late, but rather, targeting a late serviceable replacement when they strike out at a position they had other recruits higher on their board at. I'm with you though, it would be nice to win a ton of games and flip a guy late. A Bo Calvert type from USC, or maybe a high ranking DB late in the process.

So let me try to draw a realistic picture of a class you think is acceptable. Please let me know if you think it's accurate.

QB: Phil Jurkovec
RB: Markese Stepp
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown
WR: Kevin Austin Jr
WR: Micah Jones
TE: George Takacs
TE: Tommy Tremble
OL: Nick Petit-Frere
OL: John Dirksen
OL: Cole Mabry
WDE: Jayson Oweh
SDE: Justin Ademilola
SDE: Thomas Booker
NG: Ja'mion Franklin
DT: Jayson Ademilola
Buck: Ovie Oghoufo
Mike: Bo Bauer
Rover: Shayne Simon
ATH: Cameron McGrone (in for Lamb)
ATH: Bo Calvert (example of a surprise)
CB: DJ Johnson
CB: Donte Burton
CB: Kyler Gordon
S: Derrik Allen
S: Houston Griffith

OK so that's a 25 man class that you seem to be realistically proposing. What I did was take half of your "major miss" list and add it to my group. I added McGrone, Booker and Griffith and left off Craig, Ossai and Mustipher. I think 50/50 is fare for the sake of this example.

I then went to your "could list" and I replaced Geordon Porter with Amon-Ra St. Brown. I think we can agree that it's fare to add only one player from the "could" list because the guys you are referring to are either 5 stars or guys ND has no chance at (T.Smith).

I then added Calvert as a high end surprise flip because the makes sense from a position sense, he has ND ties and is a high quality player ND would be looking for as an upgrade. Obviously he's jurt one example.

OK, so re-running the numbers with your 25 man class (which puts ND probably 3-4 players over the scholarship limit), the new composite total is...

That would be good enough for the #6 overall class last year.

I Sincerely want to be on board with you that ND can win 8+ games and land that class, or something very similar. That would be an incredible uptick in recruiting and, IMO, a tad unrealistic unless ND pulls some major upsets on the trail and wins more like 10+ games and spends the entire season in playoff contention

Adding Top 150 recruits

St. Brown
Austin Jr
Petit-Frere
Oweh
McGrone
Griffith

On top of

Jurkovec, Allen, Ademilola and Simon just seems a little bit like a reach given where ND is at... Maybe at Ohio State.

I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Last edited:

It's fine, but there's a clear gap between us and OSU/Bama. The only way to close that gap is to have a coach that is substantially greater than Myer/Saban.

Not that BK isn't a great coach. I'm just not sure we can be but a once every 20 year wonder unless we close the talent gap or hire the most elite coach. Until then, we will keep enjoying 8 win seasons.

We needed Te'o, Tuitt, Day, Kap, Nix and those elite players on the same field to even get to the final game, let alone compete for the win. Look at the 2012 defensive depth chart. When in the last 20 years have we had that talent? Do you see anything remotely close to that now? 2012 was a special year that we do not have the talent to repeat with this team. It's not pessimism, it's just common sense.

The margins are too wide between us and #1 from innate talent, player development, team management, academic standards, and game planning perspectives.

Too many people on here are drunk with optimism and irrational. I'm more hopeful that work ethic, intelligence, and symmetry can lead us in the uphill battle. Anything is possible with determination. I'm just not convinced we're out working Bama/ISU.

Last edited:
IIO, echo the appreciation for your recruiting posts. I don't think we land (unfortunately) St. Brown, Booker, McGrone or Griffith. I do like our chances with Austin, Tremble, Petit-Frere (will need to dust off my French), Simon and Burton.

I didn't see mention of Bracy, Moala or Hufanga - thoughts on them?

IIO, echo the appreciation for your recruiting posts. I don't think we land (unfortunately) St. Brown, Booker, McGrone or Griffith. I do like our chances with Austin, Tremble, Petit-Frere (will need to dust off my French), Simon and Burton.

I didn't see mention of Bracy, Moala or Hufanga - thoughts on them?

Love the fact that "Petit-frere" directly translates to "little brother" because I see Nick as Ronnie Stanley 2.0... Could be his little brother.

If we get Petit-frere, Austin, Simon, Burton, Lamb, and Oweh in this class on top of current commits, then I will be very happy with our haul. Your list has some other nuggets as well, but these are the ones I want the most.
Of the ones not listed, Booker and St Brown and Slayer and McGrone would all be incredible adds, but I'll take Booker and declare victory.

1 DT? We need like 5 of them that can play right away.

Huh?

NG & DT are both DT in recruiting. So ND already has two committed (Franklin & Ademilola) who were at the Opening. On top of getting multiple last year (including Ewell).

Reactions: Pennick44

Your question is 'happy with that class' ? right? You are not assuming that that would be the class composition.

There are clearly long shots on the list. And, jmo, it is reasonable to expect a few surprises in terms of defections ( just based upon history).

Most likely ND will finish with an 11-16 rated class. The real questions are at DE and CB.
That is the weakest link notion. Of course there are planty of players at those position, but there isn't THE player yet.

To me the Oweh kid is the guy I want the most. Big upside and we lack that kind of length and athleticism .

He's a great fit for us because we just don't get that kid very often.

An OSU or a Bama they bring in nothing but that kid.

He'll just get in line at those places .

In the Spread Offense , RPO world of today you need edge rushers.

To me the Oweh kid is the guy I want the most. Big upside and we lack that kind of length and athleticism .

He's a great fit for us because we just don't get that kid very often.

An OSU or a Bama they bring in nothing but that kid.

He'll just get in line at those places .

In the Spread Offense , RPO world of today you need edge rushers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

^ the kid is athletic and great size but, he is at min a 2-3 year project

do you think ND or it's fans are thinking 2-3 years ?

ND needs WINS, or it falls further into football abyss.

(btw: jmo, since academics really do matter in this recruitment, in the end = ND)

Last edited:
Thanks IIO. Great discussion. Like coach Brey, Kelly has the problem that ND does not recruit "one and dones" -- now I know that doesn't exist in football but in many of the elite programs out there Ala, OSU, USC, the football player's major is Football. Not much is asked in terms of challenging classes. Add to that the fact that ND is in South Bend -- weather, not the most exciting town to say the least when compared to LA or Miami -- and it is a tough sell. I think kelly (and Brey, esp lately) have been doing a solid job. If we can land a top ten class every second or third year and stay in the top 15 in the other years we have a shot, like we did in our undefeated season. I'll say it again, the Alabama team that crushed us was that year was very very good.

Anyway, I like your approach IIO. Realistic with just a touch of reaching for the stars. As we saw with Te'o and Tuitt it only takes a couple of elite guys (surrounded by solid performers and good coaching!!! BVG was a disaster after Diaco) to put us in the discussion for the final four.

Lets hope Wimbush is the elite player we thought he was when we got him!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT