ADVERTISEMENT

Would ND fire Kelly mid-season if they struggle?

The Fairplay troll does not know his ND history:

During his13 years as Notre Dame head coach, Knute Rockne led his "Fighting Irish" to 105 victories, 12 losses, five ties and three national championships, including five undefeated seasons without a tie.

Urban is good, but not Rockne good.

Reactions: shabak
all the camps, all the vids of recruits (whether from their own mailings or from their performances at camps), all the reports from eyes on talent evaluators lend to identifying the talent level or potential of players.
These are invaluable tools for the coaching staffs. They have far more data on a kid than ever before.
The staffs use this information and the data they gather on the recruit in addition to character and academic evaluation to decide who is their targeted prospect group.

That you almost always see the offer list for an elite talented kid inclusive of almost all the top programs proves that the ratings are deemed valuable tools.

The absurd comments that 'I trust the coaches more than some rating service!' is head in the sand approach. The coaching staff's major tool is from the various data banks of evaluators.
Some fans say that this or that kid is a diamond in the rough ... they denigrate a higher ranked prospect that their staff is not not gonna be attractive to, because they know they are not in the kids top group.
Staff's absolutely try to recruit at the top of the talent food chain! That chain is for most part the 'rankings'
The teams recruiting the best players eventually achieve higher success. Who are the best players?
It is best guess ratings during the evaluation process!

No, JS would probably give him a contract extension; then they could fire the rest of the cosches and bring in 'new guys' to fire. deja vu all over again!

LOL - good one (unfortunately likely true non-the-less). You did forget to mention the salary raise along with a further extension for Kelly. Gotta love JS - maybe the most brilliant AD in the history of ND sports(?) ......right up there anyway.

Last edited:
all the camps, all the vids of recruits (whether from their own mailings or from their performances at camps), all the reports from eyes on talent evaluators lend to identifying the talent level or potential of players.
These are invaluable tools for the coaching staffs. They have far more data on a kid than ever before.
The staffs use this information and the data they gather on the recruit in addition to character and academic evaluation to decide who is their targeted prospect group.

That you almost always see the offer list for an elite talented kid inclusive of almost all the top programs proves that the ratings are deemed valuable tools.

The absurd comments that 'I trust the coaches more than some rating service!' is head in the sand approach. The coaching staff's major tool is from the various data banks of evaluators.
Some fans say that this or that kid is a diamond in the rough ... they denigrate a higher ranked prospect that their staff is not not gonna be attractive to, because they know they are not in the kids top group.
Staff's absolutely try to recruit at the top of the talent food chain! That chain is for most part the 'rankings'
The teams recruiting the best players eventually achieve higher success. Who are the best players?
It is best guess ratings during the evaluation process!
Anyone that trusts the talent evaluations of for profit extremely subjective internet sites over the coaching staff of a major college program is a fool.

This is not a ringing endorsement for BK but if not him, then who? Who's plan A? Plan B? Plan C? Who out there the last few years has the Head Coach experience, success on the field, recruiting, and in the classroom, and who "gets" Notre Dame? Who out there would not immediately be locked up in a huge raise, promised improved facilities, and long contract the minute their current employer feels ND sniffing around?

This is not a ringing endorsement for BK but if not him, then who? Who's plan A? Plan B? Plan C?

This would be similar to the question of "who starts at QB last year if the coach knew Kizer was leaving?" The answer is "if we are going 4-8, we might as well go with the new guy and start getting him experience."

If he loses to start the year, the only qualifications for a new coach will be who can get this team wins now and who can keep them in class. If he stumbles, BK will be gone and one of his assistants will finish the year.

This is not a ringing endorsement for BK but if not him, then who? Who's plan A? Plan B? Plan C? Who out there the last few years has the Head Coach experience, success on the field, recruiting, and in the classroom, and who "gets" Notre Dame? Who out there would not immediately be locked up in a huge raise, promised improved facilities, and long contract the minute their current employer feels ND sniffing around?
Chris Petersen, a real fb coach. bk sucks, arrogant underachiever

Reactions: G_a_r_y
And what makes you think Peterson wants to come here? What makes you think his current employer doesn't already have a contingency plan in place just in case ND, or anybody else, comes sniffing around? I'm sure Jack has a short list ready to go, but, that doesn't mean can, or will, get his first, second, or even third choice. Ara came from Northwestern. You think Fitz would follow in Ara's footsteps? If and when the time comes, I believe ND should go for it and pursue the very elite guys out there. Then go for their second tier of candidates and so on. As of right now, BK is the man. He has very little room for error but he is our guy. Let's see if he can re-invent himself.

And what makes you think Peterson wants to come here? What makes you think his current employer doesn't already have a contingency plan in place just in case ND, or anybody else, comes sniffing around? I'm sure Jack has a short list ready to go, but, that doesn't mean can, or will, get his first, second, or even third choice. Ara came from Northwestern. You think Fitz would follow in Ara's footsteps? If and when the time comes, I believe ND should go for it and pursue the very elite guys out there. Then go for their second tier of candidates and so on. As of right now, BK is the man. He has very little room for error but he is our guy. Let's see if he can re-invent himself.
Peterson is not a realistic option. Have we not learned anything from the last 4 coaching searches ? No elite level coach has shown even a passing interest in the position given the unique circumstances of the ND job. I m sure a lot of folks think Bob stoops is coming because he bought a home in the Chicago area. Not happening. Bob's twin boys will be attending northwestern next year. That's why they bought a home there. Now maybe if he gets the itch to coach again, but that would be a long shot as he has shown little interest in the back channel overtures nd has made to him in the past.

Chris Petersen, a real fb coach. bk sucks, arrogant underachiever
Chris Peterson said "no" to job offer after job offer, most with enormous salary increases, until the right one came available in the pacific northwest. He's not leaving that area.

Reactions: echowaker
I am hopeful that this will be a very good year for ND and Kelly, but if ND falls apart like last year,
I think Kelly gets to finish the season and then he is gone ! ND can not afford another losing season
or they will really become irrelevant and start losing both prestige and money !

I am hopeful that this will be a very good year for ND and Kelly, but if ND falls apart like last year,
I think Kelly gets to finish the season and then he is gone ! ND can not afford another losing season
or they will really become irrelevant and start losing both prestige and money !

Money? ...Yikes! that will strike a nerve!

These games will be a real challenge:

HOME:

Georgia
USC
NC State

ROAD GAMES:

BC
MSU
UNC
Miami
Stanford

That's 8 tough games and the balance consists of:

Temple
Miami OH
Wake *
Navy **

(*Wake will have a very good idea as to what type of defense Elko will run. **2016 ND 27, Navy 28.)

How many will Notre Dame WIN/LOSE? And what does that mean for Kelly?

NC state at home & BC on the road shouldn't be "real challenges". If they are, your team is average at best. I realize duoche only said it cuz they're ACC teams and he can point to us losing to nc state last year, ignoring the fact that we played in a literal hurricane, but counting nc state & bc as real challenges and navy as a bottom feeder is dumb. Par for the course for duoche.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
ND was 2-3 vs. the ACC last year. It will be very interesting to see how the record turns out this year. (Name calling is for losers.)

Last edited:
Reactions: torsten
Regardless of pre season banter, JMO. the ND schedule is a very favorable schedule for ND.

Where are the 'elite QB's to challenge the questionable ND defense?

By my count Chip Kelly and Bob Stoops are not coaching and most of the PAC12 conference is coached by fine football minds. Gary Patterson is worth a look, same for that guy who went from PSU to the Houston Texans. And I think Charlie Strong will be back in the big leagues someday. Remember, winners do the supposedly impossible, everyone else gets Pat Fitzgerald.

Now I know why all the red meat conservatives hate Kelly.
You do realize Trump and many who voted for him aren't "conservatives," right?

Maybe you libtards will figure things out years later after your Rush Uh, quest is over.

FWIW Athlon predicts 8-4, You Tube 8-4, Hour Glass 7-5, Isportsweb 8-4.

The Georgia game looms large

ADVERTISEMENT