ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup

Sweden schooled them. Cheering for the South Koreans to upset Germany and knock them out.

I tend to agree with you that diving and acting in soccer is gross, but I don't feel at all bad for the Mexicans. I've seen them just as ridiculous in the diving department as this Swedish production.

The Swedes put on an acting clinic in the last 10 mins. of that game. The slow motion replays gave them away. I am only talking those 10 mins. Whatever Mex. or whoever did in past games may be as bad, but those dives and moaning trips in the 10 min span was laughable.
And I think, Mex did not need the win; Sweden did ?

Last edited:
Anyone watching?

Watching Mex. vs the Swedish Diving team.
Unfortunately World Cups played in Asia are not very conducive to American television. I watch all that I can, but that is usually relegated to weekends.

Why don’t they kick the ball at or towards the goal?
and those headers, doesn’t that hurt?

Why don’t they kick the ball at or towards the goal?
and those headers, doesn’t that hurt?
If you head the ball in the exact spot intended, you don't feel a thing. Too low on your forehead can get uncomfortable, but very bearable. Too high on your head, that can hurt big time, knock yourself woozy.

The problem is 99% of the "action" leads nowhere. The game needs more shots on goal per game. Like 3x. Goals and saves = exciting. Constant midfield back and forth = zzzzz.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: nemeth#5
Exactly. Why go backwards soo much? You are never going to score if you go in the wrong direction 60-70% of the time. Side to Side and backwards is about 80% of the ball movement

Soccer..... lots of ties, things called fair play points, and you can advance to the next round even when you lose. Not to mention the constant flopping and acting.

Soccer..... lots of ties, things called fair play points, and you can advance to the next round even when you lose. Not to mention the constant flopping and acting.
In every pro sport but football, you can lose a game and still move forward in the playoffs. However, like football, once the WC hits 16 teams, lose and you go home. No margin for error. In hockey basketball and baseball you can lose three games in the finals, and still be champion. And what is a "fair play point"?

I predict Pickleball will over take soccer as the world's dominant sport.

Last edited:
In every pro sport but football, you can lose a game and still move forward in the playoffs. However, like football, once the WC hits 16 teams, lose and you go home. No margin for error. In hockey basketball and baseball you can lose three games in the finals, and still be champion. And what is a "fair play point"?

Fair Play : after all other tie breakers fail, a team with the lesser # of yellow cards advances -
you’re kidding?

Fair Play : after all other tie breakers fail, a team with the lesser # of yellow cards advances -
you’re kidding?

How else do you suggest they decide it once all other tiebreakers fail?

Even the NFL has a "coin toss" if all other tiebreakers fail when determining playoff teams.

How else do you suggest they decide it once all other tiebreakers fail?

Even the NFL has a "coin toss" if all other tiebreakers fail when determining playoff teams.
Maybe don't play to ties? Overtime..... Shootout... maybe shrink the field or take off a couple players to speed the game up and allow more goals?

I will admit, I am not a soccer guy, but I watched some indoor soccer once..... wow was that exciting... fast paced and quick and not as much walking and jogging and flopping.....

you’re kidding?
I've never heard of that. Of course there are several tie breakers before you'd get to that, so I guess it would rarely come into play.

Maybe don't play to ties? Overtime..... Shootout... maybe shrink the field or take off a couple players to speed the game up and allow more goals?

I will admit, I am not a soccer guy, but I watched some indoor soccer once..... wow was that exciting... fast paced and quick and not as much walking and jogging and flopping.....
That would require a change to the max of three substitution rule, and FIFA has been consistently against that change. It could work in youth soccer, high school, college, etc., where you can bring fresh rested bodies in there. But it would not work at the highest levels. Eventually you've got to stop and do PKs because 8 of your 11 guys are running on fumes.

That would require a change to the max of three substitution rule, and FIFA has been consistently against that change. It could work in youth soccer, high school, college, etc., where you can bring fresh rested bodies in there. But it would not work at the highest levels. Eventually you've got to stop and do PKs because 8 of your 11 guys are running on fumes.

So let them run on fumes. Eventually, one team will score.

So let them run on fumes. Eventually, one team will score.
Exactly..... that seems to be part of sports... who can gut it out longer. Like I said, I know nothing about soccer so I don't want to act like I know the solution... just don't understand how a sport can have ties (so frequently anyway).

Exactly..... that seems to be part of sports... who can gut it out longer. Like I said, I know nothing about soccer so I don't want to act like I know the solution... just don't understand how a sport can have ties (so frequently anyway).

For what it's worth, it's one of the most popular sports in the world, so if it has ties and the people who watch it are OK with ties, then it's probably OK.

For what it's worth, it's one of the most popular sports in the world, so if it has ties and the people who watch it are OK with ties, then it's probably OK.
I think it's a pretty solid number 1 in the world. The more I watch the more I can enjoy soccer. Time is limited so I stick to WC and some UEFA games.

Just getting rid of offsides or making the guidelines more liberal would probably attract many more US fans.

I think it's a pretty solid number 1 in the world. The more I watch the more I can enjoy soccer. Time is limited so I stick to WC and some UEFA games.

Just getting rid of offsides or making the guidelines more liberal would probably attract many more US fans.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think changing a fundamental rule of the game is worth it to attract more US fans.

The game has already grown immensely in visibility over the past 10-15 years. The US market is coming.

I would rather youth sports focus on revitalizing baseball as their focus than soccer. But, anyone can get on the field and play soccer in the youth leagues. Baseball still is a one on one sport.......... catching, throwing, and batting. Can be intimidating to the less coordinated. And youth baseball parents and coaches are still a huge problem that many just don't want to put up with. AAU and travel ball...both soccer and baseball, is where the sport gets real.

I would rather youth sports focus on revitalizing baseball as their focus than soccer. But, anyone can get on the field and play soccer in the youth leagues. Baseball still is a one on one sport.......... catching, throwing, and batting. Can be intimidating to the less coordinated. And youth baseball parents and coaches are still a huge problem that many just don't want to put up with. AAU and travel ball...both soccer and baseball, is where the sport gets real.
Soccer is not the enemy of baseball. Lacrosse is.

the added trouble wit international competitions, the judging or referres.
Damn questionable. That 1st French goal was really tainted. That guy took a dive.
The whole french team was deserving of Academy Awards.

the added trouble wit international competitions, the judging or referres.
Damn questionable. That 1st French goal was really tainted. That guy took a dive.
The whole french team was deserving of Academy Awards.

Not the #1 reason Americans won't embrace soccer but a nearly sufficient one in itself.

Soccer is not the enemy of baseball. Lacrosse is.
We don't have any type of Lacrosse programs, from youth to HS, where I live. So enemy #1 for youth baseball are parents and self indulgent coaches.Word gets around. The whole reason for Little League baseball is All Stars, all star parents, and all star coaches. Somewhere down the list is actually nurturing and teaching the non all star. The #2 friendly enemy is soccer. I don't blame a timid youngster for choosing soccer over baseball, because he has no one within the league that really gives a rat's patoot about him. He's just an inconvenience to the coach to try and get this kid his one time at bat and two innings in right field. Soccer, that same kid can run around, kick at the ball and get lost on the field with no pressure and feel like he has contributed. Like I said, travel ball and AAU is another, more serious matter.

Not the #1 reason Americans won't embrace soccer but a nearly sufficient one in itself.
Spend a half hour and watch the last 2 minutes of a basketball game,there is plenty of time to eat,drink,go to the bathroom without missing a thing.The previous couple of hours aren't important.
Spend up to four hours watching almost nine minutes of action in a football game, ditto on free time to do other things.
Spend another four hours watching the grass grow at a baseball game.
There are plenty of wonderful ads,time outs,station breaks in all of these so as not to interfere with the important things in your schedule.
Or see a sport where the players decide who wins,where teams can not stop the action if they are being outplayed,where commercials are banned,where fat, overweight or seven foot freaks of nature are'nt the ones who dominate the games.

Last edited:
I can solve the baseball issue in two small steps. 1) batters stay in box and hands off their batting gloves. 2) Pitch time clock (10 seconds). Bada boom, bada bing. Problem solved.

I grudgingly have to admit, the Japan vs Belgium game was pretty exciting and fun to watch.

Wow!

The Columbians play about as fair a Pablo Escobar’s biz strategy.

gotten laughable!

Last edited:
Back to the Action

England vs the Swedish Diving team. (yellow jerseys: perfect fit!}

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT