ADVERTISEMENT

winter storm

coolirish9

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 7, 2011
just want to say that i hope everybody in the path of this massive winter storm is doing okay. just watched the local news can can't recall the last time i saw the whole state of Texas under a winter storm warning. i live in central indiana and we are expected to get anywhere from 7 to 12 inches according to all the local news stations and we never get anything close to that amount. stay safe everybody

Reactions: Zorich 88
well i'm stuck indoors today and probably wed as well as my whole county here in central indiana is in lockdown mode with as we have 9 inches in the city and i'm sure more in rural out of town areas. thinking of some of you who may live in Texas as they said on tv this that lots of people in that state are without power due to the winter storm which includes extreme temps. they said that lots of people were sleeping in cars overnight just to stay warm. stay warm and safe Texans as were all thinking of you people that have no power

well i'm stuck indoors today and probably wed as well as my whole county here in central indiana is in lockdown mode with as we have 9 inches in the city and i'm sure more in rural out of town areas. thinking of some of you who may live in Texas as they said on tv this that lots of people in that state are without power due to the winter storm which includes extreme temps. they said that lots of people were sleeping in cars overnight just to stay warm. stay warm and safe Texans as were all thinking of you people that have no power
I live in the Dallas area and it’s a disaster. Coldest temps we’ve seen in over 30 years. My area is having rolling blackouts. We have power for about 30 minutes and then no power for about 30 minutes. My mother in law has been without power for about 30 hours now. Temps in her area were below 0 last night. Supposed to be a little warmer today, but we have another winter storm moving in tomorrow with another frigid day/night to follow. We might not see relief until Friday or Saturday.

Reactions: nemeth#5
I live in the Dallas area and it’s a disaster. Coldest temps we’ve seen in over 30 years. My area is having rolling blackouts. We have power for about 30 minutes and then no power for about 30 minutes. My mother in law has been without power for about 30 hours now. Temps in her area were below 0 last night. Supposed to be a little warmer today, but we have another winter storm moving in tomorrow with another frigid day/night to follow. We might not see relief until Friday or Saturday.
Yep, I am in Plano and it is insane. I grew up around snow and freezing cold temperatures but this storm has put DFW on its knees...... luckily I think I am on the same grid as a hospital because we have yet to lose power.... and everyone around us has. I am trying to keep the pool running, but think its going to be a losing fight.... not complaining as its the least of our worries for what others are going through.

If you or your mother in law need anything, let me know.... I have a 4wd and I am out and about grabbing stuff for some of my older neighbors today.

Reactions: ZVZ and echowaker
well i think i probably speak for most if not all on this board by saying stay warm and safe. we had another snow storm moving into central indiana this thursday but the local weather guy this morning said that it was now moving south and heading into Kentucky

well i think i probably speak for most if not all on this board by saying stay warm and safe. we had another snow storm moving into central indiana this thursday but the local weather guy this morning said that it was now moving south and heading into Kentucky
I live in Evansville for a couple years and have friends there.... they are getting hammered as well.... Seems like everyone everywhere is!

We had 3-4inches of snow in the 2hrs I was out back in the gym/dojo last night....

Thought I was going to have to shovel to the gym/dojo for the morning work-out session. However, no more snow. That did not suck....

Nothing like Green Energy.

Yep, I am in Plano and it is insane. I grew up around snow and freezing cold temperatures but this storm has put DFW on its knees...... luckily I think I am on the same grid as a hospital because we have yet to lose power.... and everyone around us has. I am trying to keep the pool running, but think its going to be a losing fight.... not complaining as its the least of our worries for what others are going through.

If you or your mother in law need anything, let me know.... I have a 4wd and I am out and about grabbing stuff for some of my older neighbors today.
Very very thoughtful!

I live in Evansville for a couple years and have friends there.... they are getting hammered as well.... Seems like everyone everywhere is!

Yes, I am in Vincennes and haven't seen this much snow and cold weather for several years. I couldn't go anywhere even if I wanted to. I just talked with a friend from Houston who has no heat, so I am blessed that though I live around cornfields the electricity hasn't gone out.

this storm has been so crazy that they said on the news this morning that Portland OR got snow and said that they never get any

Last edited:
I'm guessing most houses in TX do not have fireplaces. However that does not explain why many new homes in the north were built without them.

I'm wearing pants here in AZ but the windows are open.

Besides my jeans, I have two pairs of socks on, a sleeveless tee, an ND tee, a long-sleeved shirt, and my ND hoodie on. It hasn't been this freakin' cold here in several years! As my mama would say...this too shall pass (though not fast enough for me). :)

Utah needs some from what I have heard. Maybe you could swing a deal. They ship some of the unseasonably warm temps your way and you return the favor with snow they need to fill up the reservoirs.

I heard the ski areas are getting a lot of snow, but it is risky and prone to avalanches.

Luckily I learned to adapt and improvise during my time in the Marines. And also from watching the survival show expert on the weather channel. Or I would have froze to death last night !
I woke up at 2am wearing only my sleeping shorts and a rolling stone T-shirt and noticed the garbage was stinking. So I grabbed the garbage and went out back to the garbage container.
The door locked behind me and the metal latch was frozen on the gate surrounding my back yard to get out so I was stuck in 10 degree windy weather with snow and ice on the ground ! With no escape !
I tried knocking on the door but my wife was fast asleep with the bedroom door closed ! I was on my own and cold as hell ! My bare feet were freezing ! I tried shaking the latch to no avail as it was totally iced shut !
So I looked around the enclosure to see what I could use to escape.
I tried a lawn chair to stand on to try and climb over the wooden fence but it was to high and I would have to risk injury to get over to the street to get to my front door.
I then saw a plastic bottle of kingsford lighter fluid and squeezed the fluid all over the metal latch to melt the ice. I tried opening the latch and at first it didn't open so I spayed even more fluid on the ice and this time it worked. SemperGumby ! I opened the latch walked out to the road and walked around my neighbors house and got my extra house key I had hidden and opened the front door to safety ! My feet were hurting walking on the icy road !

*** I also had some excitement driving home from working 18 hours at the plant which is an hour drive . I had to drive an extra ten miles taking a detour after there was a pile up on the bridge ! Damn people are so stupid ! You are supposed to drive extra slow over bridges in frigid conditions !

Luckily I learned to adapt and improvise during my time in the Marines. And also from watching the survival show expert on the weather channel. Or I would have froze to death last night !
I woke up at 2am wearing only my sleeping shorts and a rolling stone T-shirt and noticed the garbage was stinking. So I grabbed the garbage and went out back to the garbage container.
The door locked behind me and the metal latch was frozen on the gate surrounding my back yard to get out so I was stuck in 10 degree windy weather with snow and ice on the ground ! With no escape !
I tried knocking on the door but my wife was fast asleep with the bedroom door closed ! I was on my own and cold as hell ! My bare feet were freezing ! I tried shaking the latch to no avail as it was totally iced shut !
I tried a lawn chair to stand on to try and climb over the wooden fence but it was to high and I would have to risk injury to get over to the street to get to my front door.
I then saw a plastic bottle of kingsford lighter fluid and squeezed the fluid all over the metal latch to melt the ice. I tried opening the latch and at first it didn't open so I spayed even more fluid on the ice and this time it worked. SemperGumby ! I opened the latch walked out to the road and walked around my neighbors house and got my extra house key I had hidden and opened the front door to safety ! My feet were hurting walking on the icy road !

*** I also had some excitement driving home from working 18 hours at the plant which is an hour drive . I had to drive an extra ten miles taking a detour after there was a pile up on the bridge ! Damn people are so stupid ! You are supposed to drive extra slow over bridges in frigid conditions !
Holy Sh... Bodi! I almost lost both feet twenty years ago due to a rare circulation diseases. Just reading about you dealing with this in bare feet made mine ache in empathy. We’re having a one day old snap of highs around 59, but still shorts weather as the sun is bright and warm. We’ll be in the low 70’s in a few days. Reading your post and Alice’s et al, makes me really appreciate our lifestyle here in Henderson, but then again, our summers are brutally hot by some standards. Glad you made it back inside without injury and Hope all here and their loved ones get through this safely.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
EdibleSnivelingHind-max-1mb.gif

Holy Sh... Bodi! I almost lost both feet twenty years ago due to a rare circulation diseases. Just reading about you dealing with this in bare feet made mine ache in empathy. We’re having a one day old snap of highs around 59, but still shorts weather as the sun is bright and warm. We’ll be in the low 70’s in a few days. Reading your post and Alice’s et al, makes me really appreciate our lifestyle here in Henderson, but then again, our summers are brutally hot by some standards. Glad you made it back inside without injury and Hope all here and their loved ones get through this safely.

Summers here have lots of heat and humidity guess that's just part of the charm of Southern Indiana.

Our winters here are usually pretty mild we get cold, we get snow, but not the bitter temps and snow amounts we have seen this past week. Lately, winters have had more ice events than snow. Right now it's 19 degrees, but by next Monday up in the forties and by the 26th...sixty-two degrees. The only bad thing about mild winters is that your blood thins out and it makes for really being cold when the temp does drop. ;)

Reactions: Telx1

Look at the bright side: at least you hadn't decided to go commando before stepping outside.

Good job of improvising Brodi.

In Houston, lost power for 54 hours in below freezing temps. Now have power but no water and a couple of leaks.

Just to top it off - a guy ran his truck to the back of my vehicle (no injuries - just one more hassle).

Good job of improvising Brodi.

In Houston, lost power for 54 hours in below freezing temps. Now have power but no water and a couple of leaks.

Just to top it off - a guy ran his truck to the back of my vehicle (no injuries - just one more hassle).
this is why i've told some of my coworkers at work here in crawfordsville in central indiana to stop complaining about the 9 inches or so of snow that we just got monday night because at least we all have power and heat unlike a lot of you people in Texas. stay safe and warm as you can Runforit as so many of us up here are thinking of all of you

Nothing like Green Energy.
Texas in like 20% wind energy. It's the natural gas that's screwed us. Since texas inst federally regulated the power companies DO NOT winterize their equipment to normal standards to save money. Usually not an issue, but we got screwed. Wind farms work in scandinavia year round, it just takes proper maintenance which texas failed to do.

One thing I never understood is why the home heating system doesn't work unless the electricity is on. I mean who made that call?

We had a wood burning furnace that could heat the hot water through the pipes, but it was in bad shape. My Dad said we couldn't replace it because it was now illegal to install them.

According to my Fitbit, I spent 45 minutes doing light shoveling and clearing snow from two cars...mine and my neighbors. The guy who snow plows our lane came and even got my parking space cleared out...life is good!

Didn't feel as cold out today and certainly looking forward to rising temperatures and even the nasty slush it will leave.

Texas in like 20% wind energy. It's the natural gas that's screwed us. Since texas inst federally regulated the power companies DO NOT winterize their equipment to normal standards to save money. Usually not an issue, but we got screwed. Wind farms work in scandinavia year round, it just takes proper maintenance which texas failed to do.
Certainly not limited to Texas. Page California and lots of other states. It comes down to in the end to the people; they have allowed this to happen.

Will be interesting if there are any real changes due to this storm.

Green energy is inherently unpredictable; it is the nature of the beast. You have calm days, rainy days, so you must be prepared with backups. BUT if you do not make sure the backups will work when it matters then you lose.

and page Fukashima Japan for not preparing properly.

At least Texas has Ted Cruz as senator. Glad to see he's working hard down there.

Utah needs some from what I have heard. Maybe you could swing a deal. They ship some of the unseasonably warm temps your way and you return the favor with snow they need to fill up the reservoirs.
I love that idea. LOL

I feel really bad for anyone living in Texas right now having to go through hell. I wish there was something we could do for all of you besides praying. Hang in there and sending you all warm thoughts.

ADVERTISEMENT