ADVERTISEMENT

Wimbush

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
My patience is wearing thin... Another dropped interception yesterday that could have iced the game for Navy. (What is it about Wimbush's throws that make them so hard to catch! That' the sixth dropped int. this year!)

Why can't he keep the ball down? Is this something he can fix for the next two games or, more importantly since we are losing our best two lineman and teams have clearly figured out Chips run-first offense, for next year? Will he continue to underperform in the big games?

Now through 13 games this season, Jurkovec has completed 191-of-253 passes (75-percent) for 3,286 yards, 33 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He has also rushed 92 times for 898 yards and 17 scores.

Pretty impressive, but can we make the playoffs with a true Freshman QB? Our defense will be very good next year -- probably the best since 2012.

Can anyone else imagine Wimbush as a slot receiver for the next two years.... He clearly isn't going to play on Sundays as a QB unless he's touched by God (or Aaron Rodgers) over the next months. If he were a Freshman I'd say, give him time, but he is a Junior -- he's been at ND two and a half years and he still looks like a Freshman...

Look, we're 9-2 vs. a tough schedule (a there are a lot of storied programs with 9-2 records out there right now) and, except for slips vs Miami, and Ga, BW is a big reason why we have turned this thing around...

But, I hate to say it because I really like this kid, I'm losing confidence. He will HAVE TO throw the ball accurately next week and in our bowl game to complete a very successful season for the Irish. Can he?

And, if he can't, what are our options going forward?

I brought this up in another thread. I believe the Irish coaching staff are going to look hard at alternative during spring and fall camps. Especially jutkovec Spelling

ND must use next week and all the bowl practice time to work on BW passing for next season. He is a great runner but needs better coaching on throwing. Send him to one of the QB gurus out there in the offseason.

Reactions: zonairish
Some of the critiques are a bit too critical. It is a fine line. But darn the kid is out there getting beaten on.

Criticizing him is okay as long as it is not personal or over the top. He is not passing vet well in the past couple of games. This thread or many other threads mentioning BW have not been over the top. Also he is the face of the team he needs to get better

Reactions: Nocalirish
Criticizing him is okay as long as it is not personal or over the top. He is not passing vet well in the past couple of games. This thread or many other threads mentioning BW have not been over the top. Also he is the face of the team he needs to get better
Maybe he turned a corner. His poor passing in the first half is one of the reasons we were struggling. His much improved second half (and last drive of first half) performance was a big reason why we won.

Reactions: zonairish
First, can ND protect his blind side and, if they can, will he deliver an accurate pass THAT the Receiver catches? 3 big Ifs. Even Step is developing the Drops and this from a guy with above average hands coupled with above average route running abilities.

My patience is wearing thin... Another dropped interception yesterday that could have iced the game for Navy. (What is it about Wimbush's throws that make them so hard to catch! That' the sixth dropped int. this year!)

Why can't he keep the ball down? Is this something he can fix for the next two games or, more importantly since we are losing our best two lineman and teams have clearly figured out Chips run-first offense, for next year? Will he continue to underperform in the big games?

Now through 13 games this season, Jurkovec has completed 191-of-253 passes (75-percent) for 3,286 yards, 33 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. He has also rushed 92 times for 898 yards and 17 scores.

Pretty impressive, but can we make the playoffs with a true Freshman QB? Our defense will be very good next year -- probably the best since 2012.

Can anyone else imagine Wimbush as a slot receiver for the next two years.... He clearly isn't going to play on Sundays as a QB unless he's touched by God (or Aaron Rodgers) over the next months. If he were a Freshman I'd say, give him time, but he is a Junior -- he's been at ND two and a half years and he still looks like a Freshman...

Look, we're 9-2 vs. a tough schedule (a there are a lot of storied programs with 9-2 records out there right now) and, except for slips vs Miami, and Ga, BW is a big reason why we have turned this thing around...

But, I hate to say it because I really like this kid, I'm losing confidence. He will HAVE TO throw the ball accurately next week and in our bowl game to complete a very successful season for the Irish. Can he?

And, if he can't, what are our options going forward?
Don

Very well stated. Likable kid. I have to believe Ara and Lou would move him to receiver if—/. If Jurkovec is all that and yes s freshman can do it as seen in a number of programs

Some of the critiques are a bit too critical. It is a fine line. But darn the kid is out there getting beaten on.
Didn’t Coach BD do a post on signaling players out and criticizing them a while back? IMO not having BK as the back up QB last year didn’t help... Nothing against Zaire.... but there would not have been a QB controversy and BW would have gotten more practice time as the backup and actual playing time

Don

Very well stated. Likable kid. I have to believe Ara and Lou would move him to receiver if—/. If Jurkovec is all that and yes s freshman can do it as seen in a number of programs

I am for giving BW a chance. However, if Phil J is all that I perceive him to be by his film. He is Carson Wentz type of QB. Very dominate player on film. He is the future

Some people forget that his position coach's nickname is "Tommy Turnover" .... the guy is learning on the job .... had only 2 years coaching experience on his resume ..... total! ... 1 as a grad asst at Northwestern ..... and another as an "offensive asst" (whatever that made up title means) at San Diego

And people are complaining about how Wimbush is coming along .... sheesh .... Wimbush isn't the problem

Some people forget that his position coach's nickname is "Tommy Turnover" .... the guy is learning on the job .... had only 2 years coaching experience on his resume ..... total! ... 1 as a grad asst at Northwestern ..... and another as an "offensive asst" (whatever that made up title means) at San Diego

And people are complaining about how Wimbush is coming along .... sheesh .... Wimbush isn't the problem

It’s “Tom Turnover” now, BW is a first year starter, he hasn’t play with n over a year to start the season.

Stats passing 14-4, rushing 14 td’s. We know he’s lost a few fumbles, maybe someone could find that stat.
As a starter 8-2
Jr. with 2 years after 2017, remember ND doesn't red shirt.

Reactions: Pennick4

only moron's like you use that nickname

Reactions: Buguit
Wimbush doesn't need to be a great passer, but he needs to improve for sure. He needs to work on mechanics which honestly is on coaching, not him. He still throws high a lot of times and almost ruined Brown's career last weekend. He settled down in the second half last week and looked a lot better. I remember a QB that wasn't the best passer but a good read option QB and he took to us and won the NC. Remember Tony Rice?

Reactions: shooter1977
It’s “Tom Turnover” now, BW is a first year starter, he hasn’t play with n over a year to start the season.

This is why he needs us the fan base to relax. We will see what happens in spring and fall camps and maybe some QB whisper helps him. Also, tom rees may not be the right guy as a QB coach.

None of y'all listen.

I've said this before and honestly it's only half sarcastic and the other half is true.

BW will never be a QB. See even on throws where he uses perfect mechanics his throws are still ****ed up at times.

Guess what...It's a real thing with humans. Some are just not accurate throwers. No matter how many times you go over mechanics they just fight with accuracy.

If any can remember Steve blass and mark wohlers you know that out of nowhere came this thing they just couldn't hit the strike zone consistently anymore. It wasnt age. It wasnt mechanics.

It just happens people.
BW is a tailback who can throw a bit. Some people are QB's who can also run. BW is a tailback who can also throw.
Now, having said that I also told you guys what to do with him.

Run an old straight T with Jones jr, McIntosh, Adams, dexter, all rotating in with Wimbush.

So we line up four backs and snap it shotgun style to one of them. Then just run it. The way BW has shown he can throw I'd bet the other backs are nearly as accurate. So we can run with whomever and then surprise pass with really any of them throwing the ball.

Kelly will be happy because we're always in a shotgun...:D

Just remember the above is half sarcastic...

But it's also half true;)

None of y'all listen.

I've said this before and honestly it's only half sarcastic and the other half is true.

BW will never be a QB. See even on throws where he uses perfect mechanics his throws are still ****ed up at times.

Guess what...It's a real thing with humans. Some are just not accurate throwers. No matter how many times you go over mechanics they just fight with accuracy.

If any can remember Steve blass and mark wohlers you know that out of nowhere came this thing they just couldn't hit the strike zone consistently anymore. It wasnt age. It wasnt mechanics.

It just happens people.
BW is a tailback who can throw a bit. Some people are QB's who can also run. BW is a tailback who can also throw.
Now, having said that I also told you guys what to do with him.

Run an old straight T with Jones jr, McIntosh, Adams, dexter, all rotating in with Wimbush.

So we line up four backs and snap it shotgun style to one of them. Then just run it. The way BW has shown he can throw I'd bet the other backs are nearly as accurate. So we can run with whomever and then surprise pass with really any of them throwing the ball.

Kelly will be happy because we're always in a shotgun...:D

Just remember the above is half sarcastic...

But it's also half true;)
You are the nitwit who could not believe he was the starter coming out of fall camp. :eek::eek:

This board is the very reason the players don't play for the fans. They play for each other. They play for the students. They play for the university. They play for themselves. I don't blame them for not caring one bit about the fans.

Reactions: irish4life888
He’s played 10 games after taking an entire year off. In his two “bad” games he was running for his life. Maybe take a look at those protecting (or coaching those who) his blind side and ask why they struggled after being in the program for 5 years.

BW hasn't had many turnovers this year so the Tommy Turnover thing makes you sound stupid. He's not passing well, especially on clutch drives, something Rees did well. Rees threw a great short pass, something BW can't do.

I am for giving BW a chance. However, if Phil J is all that I perceive him to be by his film. He is Carson Wentz type of QB. Very dominate player on film. He is the future

Phil J reminds me of Dayne Crist. Just not as highly rated.

You are the nitwit who could not believe he was the starter coming out of fall camp. :eek::eek:
That's not what was said whatsoever. Yet again you babble lies like the weasel you are.
Given the fact you never back anything up with facts....have no ****ing clue about anything football related outside of asking google...and most laughable and evident if your lack of any reality...YOU were BVG biggest fan and would defend him to the grave.

Sort of the same way you defend Kelly and mediocre football.

Rock on oh great apologist of embarrassing football.

ND has the better QB going into the game Sat. And QB is the most important position on the team.

The main thing with Winbush is that his shortcomings are correctable. If he he can become a consistent passer, this offense will be extremely dangerous for opponents to face.

That's not what was said whatsoever. Yet again you babble lies like the weasel you are.
Given the fact you never back anything up with facts....have no ****ing clue about anything football related outside of asking google...and most laughable and evident if your lack of any reality...YOU were BVG biggest fan and would defend him to the grave.

Sort of the same way you defend Kelly and mediocre football.

Rock on oh great apologist of embarrassing football.
Couldn't believe Wimbush was starter at beginning of season. Kelly on the hot seat after the great start with new coordinators given 3 year contracts. You aren't very bright.
Stop wasting bandwidth.
ND #8 in playoff ranking!
Rock on Dummy! whatever that means:eek:

BW has had an outstanding season. Leadership. Penalties. Fumbles when running. His feet and hands. For every pass that went high, there are two others he has placed in catchable areas where people drop them. Watching in replay, there are so many times where he has placed the ball perfectily only to have it dropped or a play made on the ball, ala UGA for the win. Our guys also do not lay out for these. How many times did we see a diving Tate or Fuller gain that last 6 inches on a dive and how many times this year have we see the exact opposite when we needed it like the first Miami drive.

His stats would be outstanding if people catch the catchable balls, make a few four and five star catches and get open.

Reactions: Pennick44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT