ADVERTISEMENT

Williams shows the importance of a game changing QB

Williams
Lawrence
Jones

We have been seeing the importance of this for years.

ND needs an NIL collective in place so that it is never short in this position again.

If Williams has shown us anything it's that you don't have to recruit or develop that guy.

With enough money you can just go out and steal him from someone else.

I know ND fans are SOOOOOO DESPERATE to believe that all they need to do is recruit some mega elite player at QB and it will solve all their problems, but the truth is, Caleb Williams is Caleb Williams because of a lot of factors that aren't even in his control.

Caleb Williams has some of the best skill players in college football to make him look really good. He's also mentored by one of the best offensive minds in the business (Lincoln Riley). It's THIS combination that creates a Caleb Williams.

The Caleb Williams you see at USC would not be the same Caleb Williams you would see at Notre Dame. This is fact.

What ND needs is a HOLISTIC approach to the ENTIRE offensive side of the ball. Better players at skill positions. Better depth everywhere. Better scheme and talent that can maximize the scheme. They need to pay top dollar for the best offensive minds in the business. Lincoln Riley cost USC a MASSIVE FORTUNE to tear away from OU for example. When is the last time ND made a personnel move like that? They don't, they lose their talent to other orgs these days DESPITE running one of the wealthiest football programs in the country. It's mind blowing to me.

Last edited:
Just like Brey has one hand tied behind his back in recruiting good luck to Freeman landing a QB like Caleb. It’s not happening.

Williams
Lawrence
Jones

We have been seeing the importance of this for years.

ND needs an NIL collective in place so that it is never short in this position again.

If Williams has shown us anything it's that you don't have to recruit or develop that guy.

With enough money you can just go out and steal him from someone else.
Jack and co. will never allow it to happen. ND won’t join the NIL/portal game. ND is about one thing- $$$$$.

Calwb Williams would be a flat out stud here at ND.

We'd be 11 and 1 at worst with him this year
And I’m the moron? He’s at SC for a reason. Weather, a coach, and to win. ND has none of those three things.

And I’m the moron? He’s at SC for a reason. Weather, a coach, and to win. ND has none of those three things.
What's your point. I never said we could have gotten him

You are a moron with your non points

Ohh, so you think we could win 8 games with Pyne but not be better than that with Williams

Oh I forgot who Im talking to. Clueless football IQ over there

Caleb Williams has a 5-star coach, a 5-star scheme, and a 5-star supporting cast on his side of the ball at USC which enables him to be the super-human QB he is there. He would have none of that at Notre Dame. He would still have the individual talent to carry Notre Dame to a better regular season than Pyne would, but there are limitations in the organization--out of Williams control--that would limit his ceiling at Notre Dame.

Last edited:
He went to USC because of Riley and because he got paid. Weather was not a factor when he committed to Okie over USC, FSU, and the SEC teams like UGA, LSU, UF, AM, UF…

All about the coach and the $$$ and the fastest ride to the NFL

Reactions: TheSodFather
Caleb Williams has a 5-star coach, a 5-star scheme, and a 5-star supporting cast on his side of the ball at USC which enables him to be the super-human QB he is there. He would have none of that at Notre Dame. He would still have the individual talent to carry Notre Dame to a better regular season than Pyne would, but there are limitations in the organization--out of Williams control--that would limit his ceiling at Notre Dame.
ND does have it’s annoying self imposed limitations, but I would suggest the issue is more its 2-star policy and administration than anything else.

If ND were willing to pay a competitive NIL and were to open themself to any transfer then Williams absolutely could be just as well off at ND as he is at USC.

The addition of Williams and Addison alone make this a 12-0 ND team.

Now go through the other holes in the roster and patch them up with 5 more top end transfers. This is an immediate contender.

If this doesn’t change we will never keep a top end coach. USC has the best transfers money can buy and Marcus Freeman is playing a DT from Harvard.

ND is 12-0 if Williams is the QB.

Yes, Freeman is the HC and definitely should be held accountable

But change one player on this team and ND is 11-1 or 12-0
He’s more than a game changing QB. There’s nobody else playing like that. There’s usually 1 that good like every 2-3 years. We aren’t getting that.

But we can get better players to surround a really good QB. Then we are more like Bama and Georgia and that actually sounds better to me.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Take any QB from the top 10 teams and put him on ND.

11-1 12-0 without a doubt.

Take the NC QB and put him on ND 11-1, 12-0

Reactions: Golson5 and NDinNJ
But we can get better players to surround a really good QB. Then we are more like Bama and Georgia and that actually sounds better to me.
I agree, you need a complete team.

However, ND has a lot of the guy positions covered now:

Add a top QB and ND is in the playoffs.

I agree, you need a complete team.

However, ND has a lot of the guy positions covered now:

Add a top QB and ND is in the playoffs.
You said every school ND played would have a better QB. Finally, on the final game of the season, you were right.

ND needs a Heisman winner.

Who doesn't?

You said every school ND played would have a better QB. Finally, on the final game of the season, you were right.

ND needs a Heisman winner.

Who doesn't?
A Heisman winner would be great

Not having to start duds like Ian Book, Jack Coan, and Drew Pyne for a decade would be a nice step up

Reactions: Golson5

And the guy with F*ck ND painted on his nails?

I'll take Drew Pyne all day long.

Reactions: tkirish
We needed to do all we could to turn him into a pocket passer last night and we didn’t. Instead we let him scramble away from regular front four pressure for the most part. Pressure up the middle and don’t lose contain to force him into precision throws under duress. Too bad it rarely happened. And why we weren’t keying on qb keeper on 4th & 2 is a real head scratcher. Golden has been good all year until last night. Jmo

Reactions: NDinNJ
And the guy with F*ck ND painted on his nails?

I'll take Drew Pyne all day long.
The funny thing is this. Pyne played really well but the two big mistakes did hurt especially the fumble. Stat wise he did great and threw some great passes. That game was lost in the trenches. SC was able to run the ball. That opened up everything for them. ND only punted once. So for all talk about it being horrible, it wasn’t. It’s a loss. SC was clearly better. But ND kept at it. Recruiting is the key to upgrade the talent. The 23 class looks like a good start per recruiting services. Hopefully they can string several top 5 classes together. Then we will all see a change

His 2 TO's were brutal, for certain.

But losing 2 guys from the def backfield hurt and put the team in a bad position against the Heisman QB. I feel like MF and Golden will expand on size, speed, and depth on the defense over the next year or 2, and that should greatly improve the team. As for Drew, if he has one full year of QB experience, he plays better. But regardless, if asked to compete next year for the job, he will compete. And ND will start the best guy for the job. As always, I'm looking forward to the bowl game and next year's team.

Reactions: NDDadx3
See clemson - Watson,T law.

The QB drives everything. Covers for a lot of problems

So you think ND can win 8 games with Drew Pyne at QB but not win more with Caleb Williams at QB

Got it

Bleh.. certainly won’t hurt you as a program but you make yourself a one trick pony and when you play a team who can push the pocket with 4 and play coverage with 7 you’re gonna look silly.

Football is about doing one thing really well and having a solid backup plan should that fail.

Let’s be honest there was no other facet of USC that was beating ND lastnight.

A QB played backyard ball because ND didn’t have the dogs to keep him inside the pocket and bring him down.

The colts have figured it out and that’s why they have decent success against KC over the last few years. Keep even numbers on the QB and make him best you with the arm.

Most of the technique and fundamentals DBs are taught are based off the ball being released from the pocket.

I’d rather have a balanced football team with a QB who can make you pay with dicing you up in the pocket and running if he needs to.

Counterpoint: This game showed the importance of having a front 7 that can affect the QB and play fast and physical in space.

Reactions: francade
Bleh.. certainly won’t hurt you as a program but you make yourself a one trick pony and when you play a team who can push the pocket with 4 and play coverage with 7 you’re gonna look silly.

Football is about doing one thing really well and having a solid backup plan should that fail.

Let’s be honest there was no other facet of USC that was beating ND lastnight.

A QB played backyard ball because ND didn’t have the dogs to keep him inside the pocket and bring him down.

The colts have figured it out and that’s why they have decent success against KC over the last few years. Keep even numbers on the QB and make him best you with the arm.

Most of the technique and fundamentals DBs are taught are based off the ball being released from the pocket.

I’d rather have a balanced football team with a QB who can make you pay with dicing you up in the pocket and running if he needs to.

Counterpoint: This game showed the importance of having a front 7 that can affect the QB and play fast and physical in space.
sounds like ND really needed Keon Keeley in this class but it's ok let him go since we like to get outbid for our talent despite having more money than almost anyone on top of a top 5 revenue generating cash cow (football program), smh...

sounds like ND really needed Keon Keeley in this class but it's ok let him go since we like to get outbid for our talent despite having more money than almost anyone on top of a top 5 revenue generating cash cow (football program), smh...
Giving recruits money to come to your school is not the way NIL is supposed to work and we shouldn't be doing it that way. If other schools want to break the rules and do it that way, thats fine, go cheer for them.

Texas am did it that way. Then those kids are now already in the portal looking for another nil handout from somewhere else. My guess is 10 kids from their class last year will be in the portal. They are already at 4 and rumors it could go up to 15

Reactions: IrishMike409

How many other teams could say the same thing ?

Stop with the mental masturbation, Williams’s journey now has him playing at USC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT