ADVERTISEMENT

Will you be happy with just getting to the CFB Playoffs?

How would a blowout loss affect media perception. The media lying in wait to say ‘aha!’.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
The media is confused. They are still living in 2012. Someone needs to wake them and let them know this is the 2018 Irish team.

ND has a difference maker at the QB position and one of the best defenses in the country this season. I don't think we're going to get run off the field like in years past.

I want Clemson in the semi and then Alabama in the national championship .. then in week 2 in the 2019 season i want Georgia.

ND wins those 3 games and it will birth a dynasty.

who cares ?
It's the perception of the program we cheer for, so why wouldn't we care? I'll say it again, getting to the playoffs to get raw dogged by Alabama again does nothing for the program. They need to win or lose competitively.

Reactions: d1042
It's the perception of the program we cheer for, so why wouldn't we care? I'll say it again, getting to the playoffs to get raw dogged by Alabama again does nothing for the program. They need to win or lose competitively.
not me. i could care less what the media says about ND. getting to the playoff is the goal. if you get there and get blown out so be it. 126 other teams would gladly trade places with them. can't win it if you're not participating. anything else is a loser mentality. no legitimate program starts their season with the goal of not making the playoff.

I’d be happy making the playoffs and having a competitive loss vs one of the 2 giants. Very happy actually. BUT that can’t be the peek

Debating and arguing with the sports media is a national pastime that most likely dates back to the early days of American sports....amateur or pro. We debate on the train going to work. In the shot and beer joints after work. At family gatherings. And now on message boards. Fans need villains to make this fun and right now, Herbie is a villain. Stay tuned, because shortly he could be a favorite. Hell, there was a ton of debate before any type of playoff system. 1993. The year ND jumped Bama in the polls to win the title in 1977. We just didn't have message boards. It's not a matter of caring. The whole fun of this is the debate, whether with the media or rival fans.

Debating and arguing with the sports media is a national pastime that most likely dates back to the early days of American sports....amateur or pro. We debate on the train going to work. In the shot and beer joints after work. At family gatherings. And now on message boards. Fans need villains to make this fun and right now, Herbie is a villain. Stay tuned, because shortly he could be a favorite. Hell, there was a ton of debate before any type of playoff system. 1993. The year ND jumped Bama in the polls to win the title in 1977. We just didn't have message boards. It's not a matter of caring. The whole fun of this is the debate, whether with the media or rival fans.
the top ten stayed the same . only ND has a quality matchup this week. they have to talk about something.

Reactions: Kelso86
the top ten stayed the same . only ND has a quality matchup this week. they have to talk about something.
Right. I'm soaking this all in and having fun. Sometimes fans take this stuff personally and I get that. At least these shows are talking about ND and the playoffs in the same sentence.

How many teams do you see celebrate making the basketball tourney only to go one and done two days later. Let our players work toward making the playoffs, then, and only then, work hard toward advancing.

Will you be happy with just getting to the CFB Playoffs?

I thought the goal was to win it all?
it is but the point is you have to get there first. i'll be quite happy if ND does make the playoff. if they don't win it all i'll certainly be disappointed but very happy about the season as a whole.

ND has a difference maker at the QB position and one of the best defenses in the country this season. I don't think we're going to get run off the field like in years past.

I want Clemson in the semi and then Alabama in the national championship .. then in week 2 in the 2019 season i want Georgia.

ND wins those 3 games and it will birth a dynasty.
We can be a dynasty without having 5 star recruits at every position??
Huh. Who'd a thunk it?

I say yes if the game is competitive and lose. No, if it turns out to be Bama part 2.
Never happy or content to end with a loss, and much worse to not be competitive in that loss. But it was still a very good season either way, and the program is on the right trajectory.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
I think it would show this team is continuing to build toward being a top 5 program. It's already our third 10-win season in the last 4 years. We're moving from making the occasional run when things go right, to being in the mix every year.

14 - we were in the hunt when the initial ranking came out but melted down the stretch.
15 - we were in the hunt until literally the last play of the season
16 - was obviously a disaster
17 - in it again until very late in the season

Getting over the hump and into the playoff in 18, I would see as further progress of becoming a program, not a one time run to the playoff because everything came together. If we get to the point we're like Clemson, Ohio St, OU, etc and we're in the mix every year, it's only a matter of time until we get back all the way.

Reactions: Kelso86
I think it would show this team is continuing to build toward being a top 5 program. It's already our third 10-win season in the last 4 years. We're moving from making the occasional run when things go right, to being in the mix every year.

14 - we were in the hunt when the initial ranking came out but melted down the stretch.
15 - we were in the hunt until literally the last play of the season
16 - was obviously a disaster
17 - in it again until very late in the season

Getting over the hump and into the playoff in 18, I would see as further progress of becoming a program, not a one time run to the playoff because everything came together. If we get to the point we're like Clemson, Ohio St, OU, etc and we're in the mix every year, it's only a matter of time until we get back all the way.

"14 - we were in the hunt when the initial ranking came out but melted down the stretch."

Yea, we sagged/melted, but I also think injuries really took their toll on this team that year too

We can be a dynasty without having 5 star recruits at every position??
Huh. Who'd a thunk it?

Those wins (vs Clemson, Alabama, and Georgia -- the 3 most dominant programs in the country right now with rosters full of the best recruits in the country) would change the perception about NDs football program and increase their pull/brand power on the recruiting trail.

If ND doesn't make the playoff this year, or gets to the semi and then gets blown out in the 1st round (which is what most people are expecting to happen) .. ND stays where they are now -- a 2nd tier program stuck where they've been for much of the 21st century.

ND has a rare opportunity to really move the needle if they make the playoff this season. They will likely be playing Clemson/Alabama and then they play Georgia in week 2 of the 2019 season.

If they can find a way to win those 3 games, it will change everything. ND could go on another 1988-1993 run in 2018-2023.

Programs like OSU, Clemson, Alabama, FSU (during the Jimbo Fisher years) all had stretches like that where they left no doubt they were the best by beating a string of the best teams in the world and then taking their spot.

It's a tall order but if ND can win those games, they will essentially be taking someone's spot in that 1st tier. And those high quality athletes/talents/recruits who are consistently choosing those other 1st tier programs over ND right now, will have a whole lot tougher of a decision to make going forward.

Last edited:
I do think it's crucial IF ND gets into the CFP that they play like they deserve to be there. If not I fear it will type cast them and hurt future playoff runs. That is until they join a conference and we know that that shi*t is never happening.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
The media is confused. They are still living in 2012. Someone needs to wake them and let them know this is the 2018 Irish team.
The team has to wake them.

In 12 it was ND is back.....then we get embarrassed.

Honestly as fans I think we are equally curious if we have arrived.

Even in losing we'll know pretty quick what level this team is on.

ADVERTISEMENT