ADVERTISEMENT

Will Simon be Irish Today?

iwish

Posts Like A Champion
Feb 1, 2006
I believe he is announcing today and it appears most feel confident he will be Irish. Would be a great addition and keep t he momentum going.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I believe he is announcing today and it appears most feel confident he will be Irish. Would be a great addition and keep t he momentum going.

umm, probably has been for days; he is just going to let it be known.

Anyone know if/where the announcement will come?

I hate these twitter announcements....Much prefer an official ceremony in the gym where we get to see him put on the ND hat.

Great,,,,,,NDSMC had him going to Michigan....Glad he was wrong.

Another really good piece to our defensive unit, and a really good ND fit to boot. We need to finish with a high quality WDE, and a couple of plan A corners, and then we can declare a great haul on defense.

The staff has done a good job getting Rover candidates in recruiting. JOK and Genmark Heath last year and Simon this year. Actually, I recall that Ovie was considered an excellent Rover candidate if he didn't outgrow it and have to play Buck.

Austin announced a date for his commitment as well. He would be just as big.

This is actually true. In his commitment interview he referenced playing rover for coach Elko.

Yep; Elko is the 'work around' to being saddled with an ill advised contract extension.
Elko and the S&C changes are the differences in '17.

IIO...you out there?

A recent (just now) CB has ND for Lamb.
Firstly, he does seem to want W.C. (UCLA) but ND is hanging in there
Secondly, what is with the kid that he can't get an offer from USC? He would have jumped on it months ago, but they slo played it and offer or not are out of it. They are going to get a top LB class, but this kid is very good! Yet?

And also the OL (Brown) that commited to Bama; he wanted USC also, but did not get an offer. Strange goings on?

FWIW/FYI
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/301/439/7439301.PNG

Last edited:
IIO...you out there?

A recent (just now) CB has ND for Lamb.
Firstly, he does seem to want W.C. (UCLA) but ND is hanging in there
Secondly, what is with the kid that he can't get an offer from USC? He would have jumped on it months ago, but they slo played it and offer or not are out of it. They are going to get a top LB class, but this kid is very good! Yet?

And also the OL (Brown) that commited to Bama; he wanted USC also, but did not get an offer. Strange goings on?

FWIW/FYI
https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/301/439/7439301.PNG

That's an interesting CB for Lamb from Sinclair. Everyone else has Lamb going the other way, to UCLA. Maybe Sinclair knows something everyone else doesn't but all the West Coast guys seem to think distance is a legitimate factor in his recruitment. Fingers crossed that Sinclair is right on this one because ND really needs Lamb or McGrone (I prefer Lamb because he can play Mike and Buck) to round out their linebacker haul and either guy would be an impact prospect. Absolutely need to get Lamb back on campus for a Gameday visit. Needs to experience the difference in atmosphere between UCLA and ND, IMO.

I think there are two reasons why Lamb doesn't have a USC offer. First of all, I think he basically plays the same position as Bo Calvert in USC's defense and I don't think they're looking to take more than one player at this position in this cycle. Secondly, they already have Gaoteote, Scott, Calvert and Mauga committed at LB in this cycle. They are the definition of full at the position and it's an excellent group at that.

Lamb is the seemingly annual kid that ND really needs to steal from UCLA.

Doesn't bother me in the least. I've seen tons of kids run 4.7 in high school and be highly successful at the next level. First of all, it's easy to see why Kevin doesn't run a faster 40 yard dash. He's not a fast starter. Sprinters work on their start constantly. It's the key to the entire race for most guys. The same is true of guys training for the NFL combine. They run dozens of 40's, while training with speed coaches, aimed at running a fast time on a track, to impress scouts. It has nothing to do with football speed, or playmaking ability, it's all about track speed. If Kevin trained seriously for track and worked on his start, he would shave time off that 4.71 pretty easily, but would that change his game when he's in the boundary, getting jammed off the LOS? Not one bit. That's where his extremely put together frame wins the battle vs a CB, and what makes him a better prospect than let's say a skinny kid like Chris Brown.

The second reason I don't worry about Austin is that it's obvious that he has long speed, but that his slow start has a lot to do with his advanced physical development, but lack of flexibility. Not only will he train to become faster and stronger at the next level, he'll train extensively to become more flexible as well. That flexibility in hips, glutes, hamstrings, etc, etc, will help with his release off the LOS... The kid could easily be running 4.55 a couple years from with some speed training and he's be doing so on his 6'2+, 210lb frame.

Michael Floyd ran nowhere near his combine 40 time until he spent months training for it leading up to the Draft, knowing that his perceived lack of speed was the knock on him according to scouts... He worked to become a much better starter and as a result, significantly shaved time off his combine time. Did it make a lick of difference at Notre Dame? Not at all. He was dominant as a tall, physical, strong, leaper with long speed. The same type of long speed Kevin shows on film.

What do I think of 4.7 speed? I think it's about a tenth faster than the NFL's all time leading receiver, Jerry Rice... How fast to you need to be? Fast enough to allow your other skills in your arsenal to give you an advantage over the guy across from you. We'd all love to be Will Fuller, but many others have been as good, or better, using other skills to their advantage. That's why ND is recruiting Geordon Porter. He gives you that Chris Brown like top notch speed to stretch a defense. Micah Jones and Kevin Austin are high pointing, physical dudes, with huge catch radius'. Amon-Ra is different still. He isn't physical, nor is he a blazer. He's a technician, who is slippery and possesses enough speed to get by you and who runs great routes. His game is very similar to Kevin Stepherson's in that sense, although Amon-Ra is elite.

Reactions: Bodizephax
agree; 4.55 would be his targeted time with training.
He will be a mid range possession type WR. (In college the DB's are bigger n faster; and some can actually tackle)

ADVERTISEMENT