ADVERTISEMENT

Wide Receiver Group

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
I sure hope a couple guys step up. Davis injury is huge. Need someone to emerge as a threat downfield

Reactions: Zorich 88
Gotta be Thomas and Merriweather. Styles should be really good and could be a star. Lenzy is solid but if he’s our number 2 guy we might be in trouble

We need all 6 guys to contribute

Styles will be our number 1. Other guys gotta step up

Gotta be Thomas and Merriweather. Styles should be really good and could be a star. Lenzy is solid but if he’s our number 2 guy we might be in trouble
Lenzy was our number 2 last year

styles could be better than Austin, everyone else should be same or slight upgrade with young talented tes

Davis was our number 2 last year
Not to start or finish, coaches trusted him more than lenzy and used him more in the middle of season until injury but lenzy opened up vs fsu starting and ended starting vs ok state

either way, We haven’t lost anyone to injury that would cost us a game

Hopefully the offense with HH back can establish a consistent rushing attack against any team. That alone will help relieve a lot of pressure off the receivers. It always comes back to the trenches. A fantastic O-line makes everyone around them look better.

Not to start or finish, coaches trusted him more than lenzy and used him more in the middle of season until injury but lenzy opened up vs fsu starting and ended starting vs ok state

Yeah Davis was our number 2 until he got hurt

Hopefully the offense with HH back can establish a consistent rushing attack against any team. That alone will help relieve a lot of pressure off the receivers. It always comes back to the trenches. A fantastic O-line makes everyone around them look better.
The oline buchner and explosive playmakers give me hopes we could have best nd offense in a long time

Reactions: BGI User 756
ND only needs to rotate 5-6 guys. The issue is that Avery was a pure slot guy. This will make someone play a lot more slot and less able to move around. Styles or Thomas will likely be in the slot all the time. With lenzy always to the field rotating with the other .

I'm really not concerned here.

Much more concerned about Tobias and Colzie being the main options at boundary. The injury to Davis means less of a rotation of styles and Thomas to the boundary. Tobias may be really good, but that's a lot to unpack as a new freshmen and physically he's still slight of build.

The lack of experience is very concerning. Unless the young guys are amongst the rare few that mature in a hurry and quickly adjust to the college level. I think we're going to see our passing offense struggle. This is where Davis will be missed. He knows how to work against complex man/zone combos and not get thrown off his route and finish his route. Rees has his work cut out for him. Lenzy for example would still get stuffed and diverted from his route last year. Which is why Lenzy has never been a full time player and a guy that the staff trusts. Davis I was hoping would be that security blanket for Buchner, in which you could trust he would be where he needed to be.

The lack of experience is very concerning. Unless the young guys are amongst the rare few that mature in a hurry and quickly adjust to the college level. I think we're going to see our passing offense struggle. This is where Davis will be missed. He knows how to work against complex man/zone combos and not get thrown off his route and finish his route. Rees has his work cut out for him. Lenzy for example would still get stuffed and diverted from his route last year. Which is why Lenzy has never been a full time player and a guy that the staff trusts. Davis I was hoping would be that security blanket for Buchner, in which you could trust he would be where he needed to be.
I don’t think nd planned for it to be Davis due to coming off his j jury, hopeful but not planning. Mayer styles lenzy were always going to be focus in passing game with tyree, adding Thomas merriweather and frosh tes… talent is there

Thomas has been getting rave reviews since bowl prep. He seems ready to go.

I think he’s going to be the type of player that doesn’t wow you with combine 40 numbers and shuttle numbers but is a very good athlete with balance and instincts that will make plays.

I'm hoping he's like an Anquan Boldin. That dude only ran 4.7 in the 40. But because of his grit, intensity, intelligence, and focus on the fundamentals he was able to trive.

I have no idea what Thomas runs, but it's clear he's not the most gifted athlete. But that's OK. Some dudes figure out how to overcome that.

I'm hoping he's like an Anquan Boldin. That dude only ran 4.7 in the 40. But because of his grit, intensity, intelligence, and focus on the fundamentals he was able to trive.

I have no idea what Thomas runs, but it's clear he's not the most gifted athlete. But that's OK. Some dudes figure out how to overcome that.
Good routes and swagger. That's all we need

I fully expect Styles, Thomas, Lenzy, Merriweather to step up. Wilkins and Colzie probably wont be ready to provide depth until game 3-4 (guessing).

Im not as worried as alot of people are with the WR depth. Sure its not ideal but we have great depth at TE and RB which should help take some of the reps in the slot.

I fully expect Styles, Thomas, Lenzy, Merriweather to step up. Wilkins and Colzie probably wont be ready to provide depth until game 3-4 (guessing).

Im not as worried as alot of people are with the WR depth. Sure its not ideal but we have great depth at TE and RB which should help take some of the reps in the slot.
They will likely move watts over to help in the slot.

Colzie is going to have to play some the first three games, ready or not.

They will likely move watts over to help in the slot.

Colzie is going to have to play some the first three games, ready or not.
Have to? Maybe, maybe not especially if wilkins is back. I'm guessing he sees less than 10 snaps vs OSU.

ND really only had 4 wrs play meaningful snaps last year.

Our depth at rb isnt great

who are your 1 on offense and 1 on defense you cannot lose?

Colzie and Thomas both didnt practice today. Thats brutal

Patterson also wasnt there. Hopefully it's nothing serious. That would be devastating

Have to? Maybe, maybe not especially if wilkins is back. I'm guessing he sees less than 10 snaps vs OSU.

ND really only had 4 wrs play meaningful snaps last year.
Oh I agree. It won't be a featured deal but just for rest they need to rotate guys.

I do not believe Wilkins will play much vs OSU. The risk to the season depth seems too high. If he gives 10 snaps I'll be surprised.

Reactions: VTND
Pete Sampson reported today that Xavier Watts has been moved to WR and Deion Clozie was absent.
Watts has all the tools to be Avery Davis 2.0 IMO. You have to feel for him though, ND needs to create opportunities for him early.

yep, i thought they said he returned monday, but guess I was wrong
A lot of sickness going around, no word anywhere but have to wonder if there is a mini covid outbreak. Better now than next week. I know freeman mention flu like symptoms on Mondays presser

Watts has all the tools to be Avery Davis 2.0 IMO. You have to feel for him though, ND needs to create opportunities for him early.
Watts is very different then Davis. He's bigger and a willing blocker. He's also very dynamic once he gets the ball. The issue is route running and consistency which were Davis strong points.

Watts is very different then Davis. He's bigger and a willing blocker. He's also very dynamic once he gets the ball. The issue is route running and consistency which were Davis strong points.
that will come with reps.

A team like nd should never have a player like Palermo getting reps with the first team. Damn that coach del

ADVERTISEMENT