ADVERTISEMENT

Why Did BK Apologize?

Toby Smart

All Star
Aug 28, 2002
His halftime speech within the confines of the team Locker room was awesome. Motivating his players to finish what they started. No bad intent. No disrespect. Just terrific words from coach to team. And yet he had to apologize. WTH. Someone complained? You go Coach Kelly. What is said in that locker stays in that locker.

BK is an image-conscious guy. ND is an image-conscious institution. Don’t read anymore into it than that.

BK also knows that this year more than ever with limited games and likelihood of cancellations that the playoffs spots will be awarded based on appearances and perceptions.

His halftime speech within the confines of the team Locker room was awesome. Motivating his players to finish what they started. No bad intent. No disrespect. Just terrific words from coach to team. And yet he had to apologize. WTH. Someone complained? You go Coach Kelly. What is said in that locker stays in that locker.

Like Andre Agassi said -- "Image, is everything"

BK is an image-conscious guy. ND is an image-conscious institution. Don’t read anymore into it than that.

BK also knows that this year more than ever with limited games and likelihood of cancellations that the playoffs spots will be awarded based on appearances and perceptions.

this year is ‘contrived’, there can be no legit champion; teams ought simply state they are playing for the love of the $port

ironic that the possibility that there was an anonymous ‘rat’ in the clubhouse enjoying ‘confidentiality while violation a confidentiality... sign of the times!

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
It was an awesome speech and something I've been waiting for. When I heard it, I yelled Finally !

this year is ‘contrived’, there can be no legit champion; teams ought simply state they are playing for the love of the $port
Sort of agree, this is not CFB as we have known it. I’m sure most of the players are thankful to be able to compete. The limits are different and in the end we will get what we get and whoever is left standing on the podium at the end is worthy of recognition even if the journey is not synonymous with a full normal season championship March. Like many other aspects of life right now, you get what you get.

Fits the institution well, as ND has been apologizing for 20+ years.

This is a truly classic post for this board. Finally BK does something man enough for the stalwarts of the ND online MAGA crew. He finally passes muster by exhorting his charges to put the boot down on their overmatched opponent's necks.... go for the jugular, slaughter these fools! Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

And it's all undone in less than 24 hours like the beta male coach he's so resented for being. Classic!

This is a truly classic post for this board. Finally BK does something man enough for the stalwarts of the ND online MAGA crew. He finally passes muster by exhorting his charges to put the boot down on their overmatched opponent's necks.... go for the jugular, slaughter these fools! Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

And it's all undone in less than 24 hours like the beta male coach he's so resented for being. Classic!
What the hell are you even talking about? BK never said any of the things that you are "reimagining" the speech to be. It's just a great talk from a HC to his players that needs no apology. Don't know how the talk even got out of the locker room unless cameras were allowed access.

Where the culture and beliefs of middle class Catholicism misalign with woke academia, the University does not stand up for the former. They instead act apologetic seeking approval from the Joneses.
Sorry I really don’t know what this means, it’s a lot of metaphor and generalization. Could you give a specific example ... what belief are you talking about, who at ND said what?

Sorry I really don’t know what this means, it’s a lot of metaphor and generalization. Could you give a specific example ... what belief are you talking about, who at ND said what?

I think Columbus mural was a fine example. First presented as a tribute to introducing Christ to the new world. Then an apology placard was added for being insensitive, then cancellation.

I think Columbus mural was a fine example. First presented as a tribute to introducing Christ to the new world. Then an apology placard was added for being insensitive, then cancellation.
Ok got it ... interesting example I see what you are getting at.

everyone wants everyone else to be Christ like, but not themselves (they don’t believe in God)

the hypocrisy

ironic that the possibility that there was an anonymous ‘rat’ in the clubhouse enjoying ‘confidentiality while violation a confidentiality... sign of the times!

It strikes me that every second of ND's pregame, halftime, and post-game activities are recorded on video, so it's kind of hard to expect anything that goes on to stay secret.

It strikes me that every second of ND's pregame, halftime, and post-game activities are recorded on video, so it's kind of hard to expect anything that goes on to stay secret.

does the University have hidden listening and camera devices placed throughout the facilities?surveillance to protect the university from lawsuits?
(now there is a sarcastic side to this thought, I wonder who will put it out there)

The Jumbotron will display the team prayer and a short talk from BK before the game and maybe a little something during halftime, but it's not like a reality show where every move is on Jumbo display. I'm still not sure if these were NBC cameras or ND cameras from inside the stadium. Whoever or whatever, it apparently caught BK off guard. No need to bend a knee yet again coach. On this matter, 99.9% of Irish fans have your back.

Reactions: d1042
I never watch halftime so I missed something. I know this much....a coach should never apologize for something he said to his team in that locker room. NBC cameras shouldn't ever be allowed in the locker room again I M H I O!

Sure miss posts by Toby. Hope he is well and enjoying watching Irish football.
He was posting regurally until right after the Clemson (the ND win game). I am afraid something must have happened to him. I checked a few times to see if he was lurking and he was not.
Toby and I didn't get along well but he seemed like a real old school stand up guy and he was a good poster. I just couldn't help calling him Notso because of his last name. He didn't appreciate that.
I hope he is well and I am wrong.
Godspeed Toby ! God bless !

Then should have scored the last touchdown that we could have against USC. Style points are important

Then should have scored the last touchdown that we could have against USC. Style points are important
I am usually one of Kellys defenders but he freaking dropped the ball when they didn't punch it in at the end with two whole minutes left ! 38 to 16 would have been seen as a blowout to most of the voters who don't have the time to watch all the games !

*** Kelly was saying how important the USC game is to his players and how passionate and focused they needed to play. And then he makes like a wuss and has the QB kneel down ! I was pissed ! It wasn't like the score was 50 to 7 with 30 seconds left !
Nik Saban would not have done that with two whole minutes left !

But the Irish won and Kelly did a great job besides that so all is forgiven ! But not forgotten !

This guy is such a douche canoe, he can’t help himself. Everything triggers this pansy, I’m sure his parents are proud of all of his 13th place ribbons.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
He was posting regurally until right after the Clemson (the ND win game). I am afraid something must have happened to him. I checked a few times to see if he was lurking and he was not.
Toby and I didn't get along well but he seemed like a real old school stand up guy and he was a good poster. I just couldn't help calling him Notso because of his last name. He didn't appreciate that.
I hope he is well and I am wrong.
Godspeed Toby ! God bless !
I have had that thought too. I have been waiting for his recarnation under another name, so far nada.

Reactions: sluggo69
ADVERTISEMENT