ADVERTISEMENT

Who to replace Denson

TXNDFan88

ND Expert
Feb 11, 2013
His RBs never fumbled and he is a ND guy so I hate to see him go.

That said, some knocked his recruiting and the RBs seemed to not play hurt the last few years.

Get a great recruiter and land a 5 star for the next class.

UCF and Memphis had top 10 running games and were not option teams. Their OC's and RB coaches would be good targets. They also have southern connections for recruiting.

Reactions: nemeth#5
The last 4 QB’s in the NFL playoffs? option QB’s?
The college NC QB? option QB?

Defense. Defense is really the equalizer between Option/pro styles!
Defense wins championships.

You have to at least call Tony, I wonder if he sees how hollow that “assistant HC” title is... he wasn’t the interim coach when urb was suspended, he wasn’t on the list anywhere near day as HC in waiting. Wonder where he stands with Day?

Honestly as mediocre Denson was, I appreciate the work he did coaching. Not a great recruiter but you could contend he was a better coach than what we’ve had.

Surely there is a coach out there that can recruit but teaches the position (blocking, ball protection etc) as well? I don’t have any names but if someone does...

I want LSU’s running back coach. Don’t know who he is and don’t care. Has strong ties to the south obviously and has coached some studs

Edit: ain’t happening. It’s a guy named Tommie Robinson. Loads of both NFL and college experience, 30+ years. He’s LSU’s assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator. Sounds like a guy you’d pay top dollar for!

Speaking of coaches leaving (or potentially) -- any news on Long? Read an article that he spoke to (or was thinking about it) with Alabama....

As for Denson -- congrats to him!

Don't care as long as he's a guy that is comfortable living out of a suitcase. Running back is the perfect position to have your offensive GA help keep track of while your RB coach is on the road, or on his phone, focused on being a top recruiter.

i know its an enormous longshot but Deland McCullough would be my only choice.

Pulling him out of the NFL would be tough. Doubt ND would be willing to pay the type of elite, competitive money you would need to in order to make a splash like that. Getting him to leave Kansas City would require Notre Dame to make a sizeable investment... Don't see it happening, as amazing as it would be. You couldn't ask for a more perfect fit, or a better recruiter.

Curtis Luper and Charles Huff are probably more realistic names I've seen out there. Both excellent recruiters as well, with ties to geographic regions that are important to ND's recruiting footprint.

Reactions: Ddionne1983
i know its an enormous longshot but Deland McCullough would be my only choice.

"i know its an enormous longshot but Deland McCullough would be my only choice."

I say hire IIO !!! He would give the recruiting world a swift kick in the backside!

Reactions: GDFan
Tommie Robinson from LSU. He’s their recruiting coordinator. Former usc coach and pac 12 recruiter of the year. West coast and south ties. Makes 575 a year apparently. 30+ years experience including the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals.

"i know its an enormous longshot but Deland McCullough would be my only choice."

I say hire IIO !!! He would give the recruiting world a swift kick in the backside!

There are a 100's of more qualified RB coaches out there than myself. It's arguably the easiest position in football to coach because so much of the running aspect of the position is based on natural talent. That said, although I maintain that I'd recruit my ass off at Notre Dame, there are better RB coaches out there than myself. Much, much, better... My background is with quarterbacks and wide receivers, but in reality, my specialty was recruiting.

Reactions: Kelso86
Tommie Robinson from LSU. He’s their recruiting coordinator. Former usc coach and pac 12 recruiter of the year. West coast and south ties. Makes 575 a year apparently. 30+ years experience including the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals.

When was the last time ND had the pull to take coaches away from a top 20 program? Highly doubt somebody like Robinson would leave LSU for ND... Awesome idea though!

This isn't OSU, where they can just poach Alford and Yurcich and shrug lol.

Reactions: ohio1980
When was the last time ND had the pull to take coaches away from a top 20 program? Highly doubt somebody like Robinson would leave LSU for ND... Awesome idea though!

This isn't OSU, where they can just poach Alford and Yurcich and shrug lol.
Right! I want “We are Notre Dame” to mean hey guess what, we have more money then you, were better than you, so guess what... we’re taking your coach and he’s going to out recruit you in your state and there’s nothing you can do about it!

I know AD catches a lot of flack on here but I don't remember a stretch better than the 2015- present one with Procise, Folston, Adams, Dexter. I think Jafar looked extremely promising in his first year at RB. Would have been interesting to see how McIntosh and Holmes developed. I also think Tony Jones can continue to work and develop.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
I know AD catches a lot of flack on here but I don't remember a stretch better than the 2015- present one with Procise, Folston, Adams, Dexter. I think Jafar looked extremely promising in his first year at RB. Would have been interesting to see how McIntosh and Holmes developed. I also think Tony Jones can continue to work and develop.

The only running back on the list of guys you provided that Denson recruited, is Tony Jones, the worst guy on that list... Tony Alford and the defensive staff recruited all of the backs that Autry Denson coached and Del Alexander recruited Jafar Armstrong as a wide receiver, but they needed to move him to running back because a pair of the running backs Denson did recruit got kicked out of school in the same year.

Another name being tossed around if Mike Hart, the current IU running back coach. Any thoughts on this him?

Ewwww it's bad enough that we have a former USC player for a WR coach and a former Michigan player as a DL coach. The last thing we need is a former great Michigan running back coaching ND's running backs.

I'm kind of kidding. If Hart works his ass off in recruiting and produces good backs, I'm happy to have him... But a Michigan guy?... bleh.

Another name being tossed around if Mike Hart, the current IU running back coach. Any thoughts on this him?
Good HB at UM, man that part would be weird. He does ok at IU, though they don’t run a ton I think he’s had a 1000 yard rusher there. No idea on recruiting chops.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
The only running back on the list of guys you provided that Denson recruited, is Tony Jones, the worst guy on that list... Tony Alford and the defensive staff recruited all of the backs that Autry Denson coached and Del Alexander recruited Jafar Armstrong as a wide receiver, but they needed to move him to running back because a pair of the running backs Denson did recruit got kicked out of school in the same year.
I understand the recruiting piece but you can't deny the development of those lightly recruited guys (not Dex). Weird attack from a guy who consistently pushes for ND to open up their recruiting limitations to point to two guys who had issues. Guess we should blame Alford for Greg Bryant and Dexter's issues as well.
Jones and Adams were nearly identical recruits according to the beloved rankings.

Reactions: Pennick4
I read a piece on Autry Denson leaving ND. The Charleston Southern folks cited Denson's recruiting as one reason for him getting the job. Some here have complained about his lack of recruiting. What gives?

Reactions: NDIRISH53
I read a piece on Autry Denson leaving ND. The Charleston Southern folks cited Denson's recruiting as one reason for him getting the job. Some here have complained about his lack of recruiting. What gives?

Recruiting success at Charleston Southern and at Notre Dame are completely different. Denson came to Notre Dame with a short history as a promising recruiting. It just didn't translate to the big stage, IMO.

That’s hilarious. He was a god awful recruiter

You don’t usually introduce the new coach and say “akshually if you want to know the truth, he was a pretty marginal recruiter.”

Pulling him out of the NFL would be tough. Doubt ND would be willing to pay the type of elite, competitive money you would need to in order to make a splash like that. Getting him to leave Kansas City would require Notre Dame to make a sizeable investment... Don't see it happening, as amazing as it would be. You couldn't ask for a more perfect fit, or a better recruiter.

Curtis Luper and Charles Huff are probably more realistic names I've seen out there. Both excellent recruiters as well, with ties to geographic regions that are important to ND's recruiting footprint.
Charles Huff apparently turned down ND to Coach at Bama

Bruce Feldman confirms

Not surprising. Alabama is a better job, but at least Kelly is clearly after the right coaches if Nick Saban also wants them.

That's a loss. Huff is an excellent recruiter and coach. Really wanted him. There are other excellent coaches out there though!

He wanted the less restrained avenue to recruiting as not having the admissions dictate who can be actively recruited and who cannot.

Reactions: Classic Irish
Not surprising. Alabama is a better job, but at least Kelly is clearly after the right coaches if Nick Saban also wants them.

That's a loss. Huff is an excellent recruiter and coach. Really wanted him. There are other excellent coaches out there though!
I'm bummed about losing Huff. I hope McCullough gets a call. Do you have any other candidates you like?

I'm bummed about losing Huff. I hope McCullough gets a call. Do you have any other candidates you like?

Among realistic options...

Curtis Luper (currently TCU's RB coach and run game coordinator).

John Settle (currently Wisconsin's RB coach).

McCullough would be a homerun, but I do see ND spending that kind of money to make that kind of splash. Plus he'd need a secondary title to pull him put of the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT