• Devonta Smith

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
Who do you think should win the Heisman?

Please don't respond with most deserving or who will win??

The question is crystal clear. Who do you think SHOULD win the Heisman trophy. It's the same as most deserving.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
In many years, the season that Justin Fields had would easily win the award. But Burrow is having a season for the ages. Kind of the QB version of Barry Sanders' Heisman season. Not to mention he's leading an offensive juggernaut on a team that is historically offensively challenged.

Joe Burrow.

Shredded the toughest conference in college football. #2 scoring offense in America... Beat #9, #11 and #12 along the way.

Justin Fields would be next. Also shredded a tough conference. #1 scoring offense in America... Beat #8, #10, #14 and #20 along the way.

Chuba Hubbard with 1936 rushing yards and 21 touchdowns and Jonathan Taylor with 1761 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns would be #3 and #4 for me.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
and to think Barrow, a portal guy, who left tOSU because, as ND fans would describe him, he was ‘afraid to compete’. Oh, same for Hurts and Fields!

Probably Burrow.

Tua, Burrow, Fields, Hurts have been far and away the best QBs this season. Burrow and Hurts have had to everything for their teams. LSU has the 14th ranked defense while Oklahoma has the 42nd ranked defense. If Burrow hadn’t been so good just about every game, LSU wouldn’t be in the CFP picture. Fields has been great, too, but that team overall is just so good that you feel Fields could be average in games and they’d still win.

and to think Barrow, a portal guy, who left tOSU because, as ND fans would describe him, he was ‘afraid to compete’. Oh, same for Hurts and Fields!
sorry, trying to compare them to your hero Gunnar is weak.

"tOSU"? Might be the most classic douche move to abbreviate Ohio State ever. "The" Ohio State, give me a break.

He missed 2 games and didn't do much against Michigan. No way

So...I happen to disagree with the Michigan performance - announcers said the same, but when their entire offensive gameplan revolves around neutralizing him, I’d say he still had a large impact. The 2 game suspension parallels the stupidity of the NCAA taking out victories away. It was such a petty violation really..

Reactions: echowaker and 88ND
So...I happen to disagree with the Michigan performance - announcers said the same, but when their entire offensive gameplan revolves around neutralizing him, I’d say he still had a large impact. The 2 game suspension parallels the stupidity of the NCAA taking out victories away. It was such a petty violation really..
I agree it was petty. But it happened. He only played 10 games.

Great story. What do you guys think for NFL?

Who do you think should win the Heisman?

Please don't respond with most deserving or who will win??

The question is crystal clear. Who do you think SHOULD win the Heisman trophy. It's the same as most deserving.

I voted "other"--and I mean Ian Book should win or at least get an invite !

1. Ian Book.
2. Khalid Kareem.
3. Kyle Hamilton.
4. Cole Kmet.
Honorable mention-- Chase Clayppol.

I don't think Chase Young should be invited to New York. He is lucky he wasn't banned for taking money. There is no way the Heisman committee is going to reward that crap.

Agreed 101 percent.

He's the best player I've seen this year. That's what the award is supposed to be...allegedly. It never goes that way. As Warren Sapp once said...see that little trophy guy toting a football...you won't win this trophy unless you've got that football in your hand.

What the trophy is supposed to be about it SHOULD be Chase Young. If you actually watch him play he makes the Bosa brothers long forgotten. That's saying something because they were very disruptive.

Hugh Green comes to mind when I watch Young.

Trust me when I tell you for the youth of the board...Hugh Green did at Pitt what LT did for the NY Giants. Pitt played damn tough schedules then as well.

If Okl doesn't make the playoff with the same record as Utah at least they will have the third Heisman in a row.

Agreed 101 percent.

He's the best player I've seen this year. That's what the award is supposed to be...allegedly. It never goes that way. As Warren Sapp once said...see that little trophy guy toting a football...you won't win this trophy unless you've got that football in your hand.

What the trophy is supposed to be about it SHOULD be Chase Young. If you actually watch him play he makes the Bosa brothers long forgotten. That's saying something because they were very disruptive.

Hugh Green comes to mind when I watch Young.

Trust me when I tell you for the youth of the board...Hugh Green did at Pitt what LT did for the NY Giants. Pitt played damn tough schedules then as well.
Ross Browner too was every bit as good as Green and Young. Both Green and Browner also benefited from having outstanding players on the other end of their d-line. Defensive players always get the short straw.

clearly Burrow. He hasn't had a poor game all year.
Well, don't ever tell that to Chase. Burrow was a three-star coming out of high school.

There are many on this board that would bemoan ND signing a guy like that. Many would say "He should never see the field", let alone win a Heisman Trophy.

Well, don't ever tell that to Chase. Burrow was a three-star coming out of high school.

There are many on this board that would bemoan ND signing a guy like that. Many would say "He should never see the field", let alone win a Heisman Trophy.

I don't know of anyone that bemoans landing 3 star players. Every single major school selectively takes 3 star players they feel are under-valued. What should be "bemoaned" is the notion that any school can consistantly take classes primarily made up of 3 star players, devoid of elite players, and hope to be routinely be in national title contention... Because nobody ever does that.

The misrepresentations of what people have actually said on this board have reached an all time high. Debate what people have actually said.

I don't know of anyone that bemoans landing 3 star players. Every single major school selectively takes 3 star players they feel are under-valued. What should be "bemoaned" is the notion that any school can consistantly take classes primarily made up of 3 star players, devoid of elite players, and hope to be routinely be in national title contention... Because nobody ever does that.

The misrepresentations of what people have actually said on this board have reached an all time high. Debate what people have actually said.
IIO - if you've not seen people do that, then you simply missed their posts. Obviously none of us can or will read every single thread and post.

I'm not misrepresenting what people have said. I'm sorry I can't link those, but it seems like most times we sign a three-star guy there are some on here that just don't approve. When Jay Brunelle committed some went nuts and said ND wasted a scholly.

By the way, I do realize you can't win a Natty with all three-stars. With that said, I agree with you that there are plenty of under-valued guys that add to the recruiting classes. Down here in Western North Carolina Appalachian State does exactly that with players that fly under the SEC/ACC radar.

Last edited:
Reactions: irishalice
IIO - if you've not seen people do that, then you simply missed their posts. Obviously none of us can or will read every single thread and post.

I'm not misrepresenting what people have said. I'm sorry I can't link those, but it seems like most times we sign a three-star guy there are some on here that just don't approve. When Jay Brunelle committed some went nuts and said ND wasted a scholly.

By the way, I do realize you can't win a Natty with all three-stars.

Maybe I missed the posts but I didn't see anybody call Brunelle a wasted scholarship, or anything close... I believe the most popular sentiment in that thread was that Brunelle was underrated and had really good measurables and numbers, in a class that already featured Jordan Johnson and Xavier Watts, who many felt was underrated, and who has since moved up the rankings considerably.

Here is the the link to the Brunelle commitment thread... By the way, Chaseball, who you named specifically, didn't even participate in the thread.

https://notredame.forums.rivals.com/threads/brunelle.141219/

I understand that you were probably using a little hyperbole when you said "wasted scholarship" in hopes of driving home a point, but after re-reading that thread, do you see anything posted that comes even close to that level of dismissal? I don't. I think the "worst" comment in the entire thread was "GetNasty" saying "I'm fine if he's a contributor I'm not fine if he's a starter at WR".

Last edited:
Maybe I missed the posts but I didn't see anybody call Brunelle a wasted scholarship, or anything close... I believe the most popular sentiment in that thread was that Brunelle was underrated and had really good measurables and numbers, in a class that already featured Jordan Johnson and Xavier Watts, who many felt was underrated, and who has since moved up the rankings considerably.

Here is the the link to the Brunelle commitment thread... By the way, Chaseball, who you named specifically, didn't even participate in the thread.

https://notredame.forums.rivals.com/threads/brunelle.141219/
I never said Chase posted anything about Brunelle, did I? However, Get Nasty and 88ND didn't get all warm and fuzzy about it. But the next time 88ND says something positive about Notre Dame it will be his first in a while.

Chase feels we should only sign high four-stars and five stars. Of course that's the goal but that's not realistic in today's world.

I never said Chase posted anything about Brunelle, did I? However, Get Nasty and 88ND didn't get all warm and fuzzy about it. But the next time 88ND says something positive about Notre Dame it will be his first in a while.

Chase feels we should only sign high four-stars and five stars. Of course that's the goal but that's not realistic in today's world.

Why does every single person have to get warm and fuzzy about every single recruit?

GetNasty also said in that same thread that he thought Brunelle would be a really good special teamer... I didn't see him post anything negative about the guy. He just wasn't as sky high about him as some others were. Isn't it a completely valid opinion for someone to evaluate a player's film differently than others?

Chaseball does not think ND should land only 4 and 5 star players. As often as I disagree with him on the ratio of elite players that ND needs to compete for titles, he's never once said that ND shouldn't recruit 3 star players. Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, Georgia and every other elite team recruits 3 star players every single year. No team to my knowledge in the modern era of recruiting has ever landed a 20+ man class rated 4 stars or higher across the board. It just doesn't happen.

What Chase has argued and continues to argue, is that the talent gap between ND and the elite teams needs to be closed for ND to be in annual, or near annual title contention and that to do so, ND needs to significantly increase the ratio of 5 star and top 100, 4 star recruits that they land. I believe in our last discussion on the topic he said that he thinks ND needs to land in the 6-7+ range of top 100 recruits, with a couple of them being high level 5 stars, varied among positions, from class to class... The average class at ND is around 22-23 players. He's talking about the upper range of the class. The top 6-7 guys. On average there are going to be another 15+ guys recruiting in each cycle. There are are going to be plenty of 3 star players among those guys, mixed in with, hopefully, 6-7 more guys in the 101-250 range of high mid tier to lower mid tier of 4 star range. That's just reality and he's nowhere near blind to that fact.

Again, him and I have points of disagreement about the volume of elite guys ND needs and the reasonable expectations of ND to land those guys, but in all my years of debating with him, I've never heard him say that ND should only take 5 star and 4 star guys, the same way I've never heard anyone (correct me with reference if I am wrong) say that Jay Brunelle is a "waste of a scholarship".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT