ADVERTISEMENT

Who knows what happened between Lou and Clements?

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
I did not know, but apparently from the lead story on this site, Tom Clements had a falling out when he worked under Lou....

"Irish legend Clements, the starting quarterback for the 1973 national champs, departed after four seasons because of a fall-out with Holtz. Although Clements held the assistant head coach title in 1995, when Holtz was sidelined a couple of games that season because of surgery, it was defensive coordinator Bob Davie who was named the acting head coach in his absence. "

Who knows the specifics?

Clements could have been in position to replace Lou instead of Davie getting the nod, so interesting..........

Reactions: Bodizephax
"Who knows the specifics?"

Only a few people kow the specifics -- and I doubt that those people are around and/or would speak about it.

I do recall that Davie and Lou were pretty close (I think) --

Yeah famous clip what I find most fascinating about this play call is that in the same situation today, I don't know any coach that would call that. A pass from your 2 yard line with like a minute to play?

Ara is unbelievable.

Clutch

Originally posted by theskibro:

Yeah famous clip what I find most fascinating about this play call is that in the same situation today, I don't know any coach that would call that. A pass from your 2 yard line with like a minute to play?

Ara is unbelievable.

Clutch
You wanna bet Kelly wouldn't call that.

Isn't the argument most of the year around here that he won't call enough running plays :)

I know the specifics but do not want to discuss them.

To many people on this board would get them wrong so better to keep them to myself..Let it rest ..It's over and done with like a nasty divorce....

Re: I know the specifics but do not want to discuss them.

Originally posted by Sandgruff:
To many people on this board would get them wrong so better to keep them to myself..Let it rest ..It's over and done with like a nasty divorce....
Lolz so full of BS.

Ara is unbelievable.

Clutch
The reason this play worked is that ND had a darn good running game. Alabama was expecting a run … surprise … a long pass.

Thats the whole idea behind offenses … tight formation run, tight formation pass … spread formation pass, spread formation run. Don't give what you're going to do away.

By the same hand. Who in the 70's schemed against QB's that had multiple 100 yard games? Especially ND's teams back then.

ND was a traditional 2 RB 1 FB and a blocking End. Offense today is very much more exotic then anything from then. And that has made the defense respond with Tampa 2's and the 4-3 sets that have become popular in the last 20 or 25 years

Originally posted by Ara64:
Tommy was a heck of a quarterback and he's a heck of a quarterback coach. He is my third favorite ND quarterback behind Joe Theismann and Tony Rice. Terry Hanratty and Joe Montana round out my top five.
No Johnny Lujack?

Charles Haley would take Joe Montana 10/10 times. Loved that commercial with Joe, Herschel, Doug Flutie and Bo during the College Football Playoffs when Joe was getting ragged for not winning a Heisman, only to then to lift up his right hand to reveal his Superbowl rings. "What an accomplishment."

Ara

Have you thought this through?

no love for Huarte, McDougal, Lamonica, Bertelli, Dorias, Mirer, Carridio, Powlus, ??

geez

what about Jackson, Dillingham or Lovecchio

Beuerlein, Quinn, Clausen, Holliday,

Bertelli, Gugliemi

Crist, Rees

Stuhldreher, Lujack, Hornung, Williams, Tripucka

how about Dicky Vitale's son in law Tom Krug?

If you thought of all these guys I can accept your selections, otherwise reflect in a quiet place and then post responsibly

I think Clements got in ND's doghouse for testifying in the Joe Moore lawsuit. Clements told the truth, Notre Dame lost the case. can't trust those guys who tell the truth...............
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I don't think Tom (who was asst. Head Coach) liked being leaped frogged by Davie (who was DC) to interim coach the team when Lou had his procedure done. I think Tommy let Lou know how he felt.

Only regret I have about Lou: If he only put his support behind Clements we would have never gotten Davie. Tommy would have had high expectations, he wouldn't have alienated everyone by complaining about THEIR high expectations- the way The Boob did.

Tom Clements may soon be the play caller for the Packers. He already holds the title of OC. IMHO, Tommy has been around the block a time or two as a player and an assistant. It's his time to be a HC. He was in the running at ND but CW got the nod. From what I read at the time, Tommy came into the interview completely ready with a detailed notebook on everything from off season workouts to his offense. If BK goes to the NFL, I would take another long hard look at Tom and make sure that he surrounds himself with top assistants and recruiters. He knows football. BTE: when discussing Irish QBs, it begins and ends with Johnny Lujack. He is the best that ever was at ND and IMHO, the best football player that ever wore a Notre Dame uniform. I see Johnny ever so often at ND games sitting on the portable bleachers in the north end. God bless him always.

I wasn't around either for Lujack but I researched his stats many times, became quite familiar with his history and career at ND, watched some of his game highlights and heard testimonies from those much older and wiser than me.

I did not know, but apparently from the lead story on this site, Tom Clements had a falling out when he worked under Lou....

"Irish legend Clements, the starting quarterback for the 1973 national champs, departed after four seasons because of a fall-out with Holtz. Although Clements held the assistant head coach title in 1995, when Holtz was sidelined a couple of games that season because of surgery, it was defensive coordinator Bob Davie who was named the acting head coach in his absence. "

Who knows the specifics?

Clements could have been in position to replace Lou instead of Davie getting the nod, so interesting..........
who knows ? it was no secret that lou holtz was a miserable SOB to work for. excellent coach but tough to get along with. lots of changes to his staffs wherever he was.

Originally posted by dannydionne1983:
Hey, Echowaker what are you hearing in regards to Deland McCollough I know you said you know him any word?
out of respect for deland I won't reveal anything here. it's not fair to him and just not right. I think there will be a hire sooner than later.

Originally posted by echowaker:

Who knows the specifics?

who knows ? it was no secret that lou holtz was a miserable SOB to work for. excellent coach but tough to get along with. lots of changes to his staffs wherever he was.
I've heard that too. Loved Lou as our coach. But have a friend who was a family friend of a ND player during the Holtz years. This friend of mine has been to hundreds of ND games, has become a good friend of Gerry Faust, and has met Holtz in person with his football playing friend. Says that Holtz in person is a completely different person than what we see on TV, and that he isn't pleasant at all.

I have had the opportunity of spending a lot of time with Coach Holtz and some of the comments here are simply not accurate. I would agree that he would be a task master to work for demanding perfection and adherence to a strict schedule and demands he sets for all, including himself. Some may not like such disciplines and they would be best served working for someone else who does not strive for such excellence in everything Lou Holtz sets his goals upon.

On a personal side I have golfed with him and had multiple dinners and lunches with him and find him to be a wonderful human being. Fun, full of life and a ton of anecdotal stories about his love of life, his experiences, people he met and more. He never seems to have a bad word about anyone and is always trying to teach people to be better than even they believe they can be. He happens to be extremely self deprecating and has encouraged me in my many ventures and has gone out of his way to be kind to my children three of whom serve our country.

While I am not saying some many not have another opinion, my guess is they are dealing in third party stories from people who hate ND and Holtz; there are many, some right here!

I am sure Coach Holtz would admire your hatred for Bobby Bowden.

Would you care to share what Holtz thinks of him?

I am also certain that Holtz would have nothing but disdain for your behavior on this board.

So, in addition to being "hopnored" at ND during halftime you are now golfing/dining buddies with Holtz....

I'm hoping that your spaceship will continue to explore new levels of "duncemanship".

Thanks for the laughs.

"When Bobby speaks, I listen. When he writes, I read. You will be grateful you read this book.
Then you will know why I, and millions of
people, love and respect Bobby Bowden".
Lou Holtz

Actually, I had a conversation with Holtz about Bowden and a number of other coaches who are all time cheaters like him. Holtz wrote it off to some doing anything to win but the only shot he took at Bowden was his terrible grad rates and questioned why parents would send kids to FSU when they had such a poor rate of graduation.

Because I am an honorable person I did not discuss my ill feelings about Bowden because he is not the type of man to dump on anyone.

FWIW, he is also a bit of a right wing zealot, but true to his decency, he feels that Obama is a very good man totally misunderstood by many and attacked by most!

Thank you for this incredible insight!

I really can't wait to hear more.

Please watch Holtz blasting away at BO...... enjoy!

PS Did Holtz happen to broach the topic on the programs he was with that found there way into NCAA problems?

This post was edited on 2/13 12:49 PM by cgvr

If we had been any other school the whole Dunbar thing would have not received any notice at all or at best a few jokes.

onlyonenow,You are talking to cgvr, a fraud in every respect, whose only intention is to slander Coach Holtz and all things Notre Dame. Don't bother!

I have never slandered Lou Holtz.

I have provided you with information which set the record straight on what his problems at ND were....

Unfortunately, you would rather avoid the truth and prefer to share full blown fantasy.

There's the rub. You were once again lying, got caught and are now upset.

I'm amazed that after thousands upon thousands of posts you are now stating that you have a personal relationship with Holtz.

Thanks for the chuckles and please write/share more of these anecdotes!!!

Also, if you would like me to look up any graduates for you I can do so on the ND Alumni site...

PS
"We had worked it all out," Wadsworth said. "We had had a couple of bad recruiting classes, frankly, and with some players going on early to the NFL and a couple having academic or discipline problems, the graduation rate was dropping to the mid-70s[%], which isn't acceptable here."

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-11-29/sports/sp-3969_1_notre-dame

Originally posted by onlyonenow:

If we had been any other school the whole Dunbar thing would have not received any notice at all or at best a few jokes.
if were being honest the ncaa was at lou's doorstep pretty much everywhere he's been.

yeah its interesting how SOME coaches are always under the microscope and others sail along with no one caring.

Who knows the specifics?

Isn't Clements coaching at Green Bay. Maybe Swarbrick should interview him for the head coaching job? Wake up the echoes!

Ara

Have you thought this through?

no love for Huarte, McDougal, Lamonica, Bertelli, Dorias, Mirer, Carridio, Powlus, ??

geez

what about Jackson, Dillingham or Lovecchio

Beuerlein, Quinn, Clausen, Holliday,

Bertelli, Gugliemi

Crist, Rees

Stuhldreher, Lujack, Hornung, Williams, Tripucka

how about Dicky Vitale's son in law Tom Krug?

If you thought of all these guys I can accept your selections, otherwise reflect in a quiet place and then post responsibly

What about Purses alltime favorite Deshone KIzer?

Tom Clements may soon be the play caller for the Packers. He already holds the title of OC. IMHO, Tommy has been around the block a time or two as a player and an assistant. It's his time to be a HC. He was in the running at ND but CW got the nod. From what I read at the time, Tommy came into the interview completely ready with a detailed notebook on everything from off season workouts to his offense. If BK goes to the NFL, I would take another long hard look at Tom and make sure that he surrounds himself with top assistants and recruiters. He knows football. BTE: when discussing Irish QBs, it begins and ends with Johnny Lujack. He is the best that ever was at ND and IMHO, the best football player that ever wore a Notre Dame uniform. I see Johnny ever so often at ND games sitting on the portable bleachers in the north end. God bless him always.
Tom Clements title is now Associate Head Coach/Offense.
Tommy? Dear God..... He would hate you.
http://www.packers.com/team/coaches/tom-clements/bb67e02f-a2b1-4543-83af-00f437249c9f

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT