• Split time with Pyne and Angeli

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
As it says who do you play at QB?
Let's look at a few things...

Pyne has a tiny bit of experience....but not much more than nothing.

Personally I think his experience is negligible compared to the others since it's such a tiny sample of action.

Only two of the three QB's have any kind of QB size...
Angeli and Powlus Trey
(Pyne is tiny)
Yes...he really is.

Angeli was highly recruited...

Powlus Trey was not...

Pyne has the biggest sampling of all and it's still not much.

The problem I see is this...
If they go with Pyne (I'm sure they will) it will be more of the same offense. Rees can't help himself.
Pyne is not a running threat and he doesn't possess a canon. He's tiny so you pretty much have to keep him in a spread and shotgun so he can see a little bit. It will be Ian Book part II...green version.
Some will say Book won x many games. Yeah...
But we are striving for a little higher for the future, no?

Angeli....
Rees "COULD and SHOULD" go this direction.
Go under center...max protection...
play power football and using play action. Angeli can see better than Pyne and I'd bet he's got a better arm if confident and let's it rip.

Powlus Trey...He's definitely the least mobile but he's got better size than Pyne.

I'd say Angeli is the best option right now and you just never know...the kid might do something like hit a receiver in stride? God forbib...maybe just maybe plays the position in a very efficient yet commanding way.

Sometimes less is more and truth be told the offense has no identity other than just a mess. This is Rees problem doing the very thing I hoped like hell he wouldn't.
Coach exactly like Brian Kelly because he cut his teeth under him.
( anyone around coaching knows this is not uncommon)

Here's to hoping Angeli gets the nod. I think he's our best chance plus you immediately find out what you have in him and the QB situation for the future

Cheers

You mention that RP3 is the least Mobil, but I thought he practically ran the wish bone is high school.

Pyne for sure (for now). But you can't be a moron with the offense. You have to give him tunnels to see through. We run a condensed/tight oline and pyne has no chance to see over it. You have to spread the field out and the oline a little as well. It's what oklahoma did with Baker. Also, you have to keep him moving so the D never knows where the QB will be throwing from.

Again, i don't expect rees to do anything different and he'll be a sitting duck in the pocket.

Reactions: Chitown11
Pyne appears to be a gamer....but his size / arm strength will limit him. Angeli is one hit away from being the starter so get him ready....and if you are on the practice field and there is a spark there I would consider him starting sooner rather than later.

Reactions: 96domer
“It will be Ian Book part II..”

We could only wish. Undefeated regular seasons and playoff appearances. What a slouch he was. Lol. The dude’s been gone for two years and the BBC is still in full force.
Even I wish we had book right now

He did get to play with a lot of NFL starters on his oline for 3-4 players on each of the olines book was behind are starting in the NFL. a 4th will be once patterson is in the NFL.

You mention that RP3 is the least Mobil, but I thought he practically ran the wish bone is high school.
He did not run the wishbone at Penn HS. Did he run at times...yes, but pretty sure it was not from the wishbone.

Pyne has a low bar for this weekend. Just move the chains and don't turnover the ball. He hasn't been perfect on the TO's but if he just moves the chains and controls the game, he shouldn't have to come to the rescue with his arm. I feel like Pyne is better at managing the game and actually playing the position, but Buchner had a higher ceiling so he got the start. Pynes season starts Saturday and the expectation is 10-0.

Pyne is not Ian Book 2.0, I think it’s apparent by now he is not as good as Book. Give Angeli a shot, even if we struggle a bit it’s worth it to see what he’s got. If he’s absolutely awful after a game or two then go with Pyne.

Gotta go with Pyne. Angeli should be worked in as he gets familiar with the playbook. But right now Pyne has to be the starter.

Reactions: 96domer and 88ND
Pyne is not Ian Book 2.0, I think it’s apparent by now he is not as good as Book. Give Angeli a shot, even if we struggle a bit it’s worth it to see what he’s got. If he’s absolutely awful after a game or two then go with Pyne.
I hope not a Rees 2.0 as well. Although, the turnover against Marshall is reminiscent of Rees.

Reactions: francade and 88ND
At this point...
Why not Angeli?

He played the best in the spring game....

We recruited him...no?
He had offers from other schools...

He dwarfs Pyne... and if Pyne is that over the top good then he'd have started in Columbus

Rees absolutely positively will not sway from his very own arrogance and or inability to do the job properly.

Play Pyne now. But if he falters and we lose a few more games, then try Angeli. Angeli doesn't know enough of the playbook yet.

Personally I think his experience is negligible compared to the others since it's such a tiny sample of action.

Angeli and Powlus Trey
(Pyne is tiny)
Yes...he really is.

Powlus Trey was not...

If they go with Pyne (I'm sure they will) it will be more of the same offense. Rees can't help himself.
Pyne is not a running threat and he doesn't possess a canon. He's tiny so you pretty much have to keep him in a spread and shotgun so he can see a little bit. It will be Ian Book part II...green version.

Angeli....
play power football and using play action. Angeli can see better than Pyne and I'd bet he's got a better arm if confident and let's it rip.

Powlus Trey...He's definitely the least mobile but he's got better size than Pyne.

I'd say Angeli is the best option right now and you just never know...the kid might do something like hit a receiver in stride? God forbib...maybe just maybe plays the position in a very efficient yet commanding way.

Sometimes less is more and truth be told the offense has no identity other than just a mess. This is Rees problem doing the very thing I hoped like hell he wouldn't.

Here's to hoping Angeli gets the nod. I think he's our best chance plus you immediately find out what you have in him and the QB situation for the future

Cheers
You play who you think will give the team the best chance to win.

I know it's a TRUISM, but it's also true.

At this point...
Why not Angeli?

We recruited him...no?

He dwarfs Pyne... and if Pyne is that over the top good then he'd have started in Columbus

Rees absolutely positively will not sway from his very own arrogance and or inability to do the job properly.
"At this point...
Why not Angeli?

We recruited him...no?
He had offers from other schools..."

Totally agree! I can see situations within the games where Angeli can come in and get valuable game reps (similar to Buchner last year). As mentioned, Angeli is one hit away (or, if for some un-Godly reason Pyne simply poops the bed) -- this guy needs to get up to speed -- quickly.

There were MANY time Phil J could have relieved Book and gotten some valuable game reps in -- not sure why they waited until mop-up time with less than 3-4 minutes left to get him in there.

And -- while we are at it -- someone please light a fire under the OL's backside -- they have been mediocre at best this year so far.

Reactions: 88ND
I hope not a Rees 2.0 as well. Although, the turnover against Marshall is reminiscent of Rees.
I’m not sure if Pyne is better than Rees even. I’m not trying to hate on the kid but I really don’t like what I’ve seen from him.

Reactions: 88ND
"
someone please light a fire under the OL's backside -- they have been mediocre at best this year so far.
Ha....Ha...

Or rather HH!!!

Most overrated line coach in the country.

He should get 5-10 for every check he cashes.

Reactions: Kelso86
I’m not sure if Pyne is better than Rees even. I’m not trying to hate on the kid but I really don’t like what I’ve seen from him.
He's tiny. Very.
Smaller than Golson and Golson was definitely our smallest starting QB.

Play Pyne now. But if he falters and we lose a few more games, then try Angeli. Angeli doesn't know enough of the playbook yet.
The same playbook that's easy to defend and predictable?

Whatever. It's a trendy playbook that everyone uses. Who gives a shit.

Simplify .. max protect...power football and play action.

Teach the line...no no...MAKE the O LINE drive block and put their big boy pants on

"Don't know the playbook yet"

That's ridiculous.

Freshmen start all over the country but at ND apparently he can't know the playbook

The same playbook that's easy to defend and predictable?

Whatever. It's a trendy playbook that everyone uses. Who gives a shit.

Simplify .. max protect...power football and play action.

Teach the line...no no...MAKE the O LINE drive block and put their big boy pants on

"Don't know the playbook yet"

That's ridiculous.

Freshmen start all over the country but at ND apparently he can't know the playbook
I doubt Angeli's ready yet. Pyne has played a lot of football. He started for 4 years in high school. Buchner started for one; Angeli, for one and a half. So I think Pyne at the very least will be better at managing the game than either of the other two. And he throws a nice ball, on short-intermediate passes. He just doesn't have deep range.

He's not smaller than Golson. Is it possible you guys can ever talk straight in your life? Or do you just say untrue, needlessly exaggerated shit, uncontrollably, every time you open your mouth?

All it does is destroy your credibility, if you ever have some important point you really would like to make.

He's not smaller than Golson. Is it possible you guys can ever talk straight in your life? Or do you just say untrue, needlessly exaggerated shit, uncontrollably, every time you open your mouth?

All it does is destroy your credibility, if you ever have some important point you really would like to make.

Correct. Golson and Pyne are both 6'. Anjeli and Powlus are 6'2 and Buchner is 6'1

“It will be Ian Book part II..”

We could only wish. Undefeated regular seasons and playoff appearances. What a slouch he was. Lol. The dude’s been gone for two years and the BBC is still in full force.
Book part II, minus the talent around him. That will be ugly.

At this point...
Why not Angeli?

We recruited him...no?

It's just a continuation of screwing up the QB position. Rather than going with the more talented QB, they go with the less talented QB that is a good little soldier, instead of going with someone that may have the "IT" factor.

Rees is showing to be BK 2.0 minus being able to adjust as it relates to the offense,

“Pyne for sure (for now). But you can't be a moron with the offense. You have to give him tunnels to see through. We run a condensed/tight oline and pyne has no chance to see over it. You have to spread the field out and the oline a little as well. It's what oklahoma did with Baker. Also, you have to keep him moving so the D never knows where the QB will be throwing from.

Again, i don't expect rees to do anything different and he'll be a sitting duck in the pocket.”

Holy $h1t, I agree w/ nasty. Been saying this for quite some time. We had a shorter qb that was pretty nimble and rarely used that part of his game. Mostly straight drop backs, no matter what.

Ya I know, and Golson had a better arm than Pyne and was more mobile
That's just it....
We gain nothing by playing Pyne. If he was such an elite talent he'd have won the starting job easy. He didn't.. thus here we are.
Pyne isn't very mobile...arm is weak...tiny stature...

I feel Angeli might as well get work in because his upside is much higher than Pyne.

Get his feet wet now and possibly hope for a better team in 23 where he'll be starting season #2

It also eliminates the log jam and mess Brian Kelly created by playing Wimbush too long which enabled Book to stay on an extra year.
The cycle was all set. Book plays 20 or so games and then it's Jurkovic's turn.
Nope...he refuses to let go of the Wimbush experiment and thus ****ed the QB cycle up.

If Angeli is good..
It allows a promising young QB to come in learn the ropes for a couple years and take over for Angeli after he leaves.

Instead they won't play Angeli...he'll red shirt...

The cycle will remain all ****ed up as Angeli might have 3 years remaining when a new hot QB comes to town. He won't wait three years...

T
R
A
N
S
F
E
R

Buh-bye

More the same shit all over again

Reactions: NDinNJ
That's just it....
We gain nothing by playing Pyne. If he was such an elite talent he'd have won the starting job easy. He didn't.. thus here we are.

I feel Angeli might as well get work in because his upside is much higher than Pyne.

Get his feet wet now and possibly hope for a better team in 23 where he'll be starting season #2

It also eliminates the log jam and mess Brian Kelly created by playing Wimbush too long which enabled Book to stay on an extra year.
Nope...he refuses to let go of the Wimbush experiment and thus ****ed the QB cycle up.

If Angeli is good..
It allows a promising young QB to come in learn the ropes for a couple years and take over for Angeli after he leaves.

The cycle will remain all ****ed up as Angeli might have 3 years remaining when a new hot QB comes to town. He won't wait three years...

T
R
A
N
S
F
E
R

Buh-bye

So it’s your opinion that MF should sacrifice this season in the hope of having a better season in 2023 ?

If you were the coach and fighting for your job is that what you would do ?

That's just it....

If Angeli is good..

T
R
A
N
S
F
E
R

Buh-bye

If you gain an extra win by playing Pyne, then you play Pyne. Every additional loss may mean more "commits" start taking visits to other schools. And although a fan might not care between a 6-7 year and an 8-5 year, the players certainly care.

So it’s your opinion that MF should sacrifice this season in the hope of having a better season in 2023 ?

If you were the coach and fighting for your job is that what you would do ?
Is Pyne really the safer option? You guys are talking about him like he’s Jack Coan, a proven veteran that doesn’t have much upside. Besides the fact that he’s older Pyne hasn’t done anything to put himself ahead of Angeli. If we’re going off the spring game Angeli looks like the better option for this season anyways, and that’s excluding the pluses of getting him work this season.

Give Angeli 2-3 series....he's a alot like Coan. About the same size, both pro style QB's, pocket passer, neither are good runners...but, ND can win with him, IF the offensive line can give him 3+ seconds to go thru his reads....he could be really good.

That's just it....

If Angeli is good..

T
R
A
N
S
F
E
R

Buh-bye

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but if Angeli is that much better, why wasn't he put in the game against Marshall?

If you gain an extra win by playing Pyne, then you play Pyne. Every additional loss may mean more "commits" start taking visits to other schools. And although a fan might not care between a 6-7 year and an 8-5 year, the players certainly care.
Pyne has paid his dues and stayed a Domer when he could have easily transferred and be a starter somewhere else. Maybe I'm asking for a Rudy moment but I feel this game against California is a game Pyne can excel in.
Cal is not an elite team but it's not a pushover either.

`
Pyne has paid his dues and stayed a Domer when he could have easily transferred and be a starter somewhere else. Maybe I'm asking for a Rudy moment but I feel this game against California is a game Pyne can excel in.
Cal is not an elite team but it's not a pushover either.
He probably wouldn't be a starter somewhere else. He's going to start because he's our best option, that's all. If he sucks, and he's ineffective, I would imagine they would totally consider playing Angeli.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but if Angeli is that much better, why wasn't he put in the game against Marshall?
Well...
Let's just spit ball a second..

Brian Kelly was extremely notorious for playing tenure over talent.

Now I'm not suggesting Rees is doing the exact BK theme but I think it's safe to suspect it.....

The offense screams Brian Kelly.

Perhaps Freeman said Tommy you take care of everything QB and offense related.

Lastly....

Who the hell knows why he didn't?

Maybe he was thinking about Pyne's limited play in 2022.

Either way Angeli needs to play. It answers so many questions going forward that only game action can show

Reactions: NDinNJ
`

He probably wouldn't be a starter somewhere else. He's going to start because he's our best option, that's all. If he sucks, and he's ineffective, I would imagine they would totally consider playing Angeli.
Why is he our best option?

Seriously....
ND and the QB position over the last dozen years has absolutely zero credibility.

Think about it...
Golson continued being the starter although spelled by Rees many times...

Zaire finally playing over Golson long aftet Golson was the turnover king.

Kizer who turned out was miles better than Zaire but only sniffed the field due to injury

Wimbush...oh the repeated square peg in round hole experiment that went on for a season too long.
Good god Book even showed the world our passing game was much better on a rainy night against Carolina only to see the bench again immediately after

That cycle lasted too long and Phil who had a much bigger upside than Book never sniffed the field in a meaningful way.
Transferred.

The Brian Kelly QB soap opera @ ND was really puzzling and it's continuing in with Rees right before our eyes.

You can't make a living in CFB today only running the ball from the 1 back. You kill the defense by running as a QB buy you break the spine and make hay throwing.
Buchner was as inaccurate as Wimbush and that's pretty bad.
These guys see it everyday yet the Buchner quickness just too much of a tease for Rees to say no.

Sounds like Wimbush experiment part II.

Oh well..

Who the best option is who the hell knows because I'd say the coaches have no damn idea and they see it every single day!

If Pyne plays over Angeli it keeps the QB cycle out of sync and the mess continues.

Right thr QB cycle and play Angeli now.
If he's good he plays all 4 years and the prized recruit learns the ropes for two years and QB has no drop off.

If he's bad then you start your prized recruit after Angeli's 2nd unproductive year.

Either way the cycle needs fixed.

Why is he our best option?

Seriously....
ND and the QB position over the last dozen years has absolutely zero credibility.

Think about it...
Golson continued being the starter although spelled by Rees many times...

Zaire finally playing over Golson long aftet Golson was the turnover king.

Kizer who turned out was miles better than Zaire but only sniffed the field due to injury

Wimbush...oh the repeated square peg in round hole experiment that went on for a season too long.
Good god Book even showed the world our passing game was much better on a rainy night against Carolina only to see the bench again immediately after

That cycle lasted too long and Phil who had a much bigger upside than Book never sniffed the field in a meaningful way.
Transferred.

The Brian Kelly QB soap opera @ ND was really puzzling and it's continuing in with Rees right before our eyes.

You can't make a living in CFB today only running the ball from the 1 back. You kill the defense by running as a QB buy you break the spine and make hay throwing.
Buchner was as inaccurate as Wimbush and that's pretty bad.
These guys see it everyday yet the Buchner quickness just too much of a tease for Rees to say no.

Sounds like Wimbush experiment part II.

Oh well..

Who the best option is who the hell knows because I'd say the coaches have no damn idea and they see it every single day!

If Pyne plays over Angeli it keeps the QB cycle out of sync and the mess continues.

Right thr QB cycle and play Angeli now.
If he's good he plays all 4 years and the prized recruit learns the ropes for two years and QB has no drop off.

If he's bad then you start your prized recruit after Angeli's 2nd unproductive year.

Either way the cycle needs fixed.
Alright, dude..... Thank you for that magisterial dissertation, recounting the vicissitudes of the QB position during the BK era. And Ian Book thanks you too.

Alright, dude..... Thank you for that magisterial dissertation, recounting the vicissitudes of the QB position during the BK era. And Ian Book thanks you too.
You, Book, BK and Rees are very welcome.

Angeli and Powlus Trey
(Pyne is tiny)
Yes...he really is.

Powlus Trey was not...

Angeli....

Cheers
88, excellent analysis ! Looks like it should be Angeli. With time to prepare , and looking forward to next season. Angeli should get the nod !

ADVERTISEMENT