ADVERTISEMENT

Who Believes ND will win it all this year? And why?

I think you’re fun to read. I think we could make the playoffs possibly, although it’s about a 3% chance according to all accounts. I think if we make it to the playoffs we will get absolutely demolished. I think we notice just how good Book really was this season. I think we win 8-9 games and build for 2022. Tough start to next season w/Ohio State. We will most certainly be double digit underdogs in that game, but if our recruiting continues in a positive direction, I think we could compete by 2023. It all depends on whether we have a quarterback in the roster the next few seasons that can really break out as one of the best in the county, even better than Ian was. IDK if Dante Moore will come to ND, but I think we need him, I think he needs us, and I think he’s foolish to choose UofM. I think 2023 and 2024 could be very strong performances for ND and who knows, maybe we win it one of those seasons. I think that’s possible. I think Freeman is going to pull in some strait up baller defensive classes. I think we will get Styles, and some other future first rounders because of him. The 2023 class could be sick. But the Ohio State game is going to be huuuuge. If we perform terribly in that game, it could really hurt us. I think we are overdue, hungry, and BK desperately wants it. I don’t like our odds even slightly this season. I say 2024 National Champs is plausible. I’m excited for what we can do in the next couple years recruiting.
Won 8-9 games? Who does ND lose to?

I vote YES.

Reasons why:

1-- The most talent of any Irish team in recent memory. Great competition for playing time.
2-- An experienced gunslinger (accurate like Doc Holliday) at QB--Jack Coan
with two automatic superstar Offensive players in Michael Mayer and Kyren Williams to bail him out.
3--The deepest D-LINE in the country. Better than any SEC Dline.
4-- Superstar Kyle Hamilton at Safety.
5-- One of the best Olines in the Nation with talent and two ultra experienced lineman in Jarret Patterson and Cain Madden to complement Superstud Blake Fisher.
6-- Marcus Freeman !!!!
7- No weak spots at linebacker with Prince Kollie (Lawrence Taylor JR.) to come in and increse his reps as he WOW's us with GREAT plays !

*** I could go on and on but won't. The Irish have a GREAT strength coach and great position coaches and a GREAT D-coach who will show a more aggressive ball hawking defense. I expect many more turnovers created by our defense this year !

*** The Irish have a tough schedule to challenge them almost every Saturday but the Irish should be favored in every game.

Go IRISH !! Lets get this party started !!
Beat the seminoles !!
ND can definitely win every game. The defense will be better than last season.
The run game will be top 10 in the country.
Smart experienced QB.

I always pick ND to win all their games. Because I'm a homer fan.

That said, I think that like last year, because of covid, ND will have an advantage due to their discipline and team commitment. I think that the type of player ND brings gives them an advantage during these crazy times. I have no evidence, just a hunch that it's true.

Other teams that will benefit due to the confusion caused by the virus will be teams with overall outstanding talent and great coaching (Alabama, Clemson)

So it won't be easy nor is it ever, but they can , win it all this year. Teams like Alabama and Clemson will be formidable, but ND can beat them if they get some breaks.

UNC had beat ND twice, both times at UNC. So I look forward to another great game with them. They always seem to have an entire team that's 6-9 and athletic.
We still have COVID, So ND will again navigate better than the other teams.

I hope like hell this is the year we win a NC, but way too many question marks to think we will. Possible if everything breaks our way, but the reality is:
1. We’re playing with a new QB
2. Four of five of our starting OL have to be replaced
3. We lost the best blocking tight end in college who ignited our run game
4. Aside from Davis, we have almost no proven wide receiver
5. We lost our best corner, being replaced by a converted receiver; and other corner looked slow and indecisive as a freshman Who won the job halfway through the season
6. No one has stepped up to be the obvious safety to pair with Hamilton

Fall practice starts today and anxious as hell to start reading about guys stepping up. We do have a ton of talent with tremendous individual potential that can prove each of the above a strength rather than a weakness. But these are way too many question marks to predict a NC. I’ll just stick with an undefeated regular season as I think this is possible.
Every team has question marks this year even Alabama. The talent level all around at ND is the best it has been under Kelly.
Marcus Freeman has heeped praise on Houston Griffith. That means we will have two superstar safetys and one super experienced great safety in DJ Brown.
As I have said all along Marcus Freeman is the last ingredient for a NC. Imagine what he will do with the super defensive talent at ND after what he did with the two and three stars at Cinci?
Kevin Austin is going to break out in a big way. Braden Lenzy will too. So will one of the freshman receivers. And with automatics in Mayer (mismatch) and Williams out of the backfield that will leave the receivers running wild and free in our opponents secondary. Our running game will also help our receivers.
The Irish will dominate college football this year and with the way they are recruiting for 22 and 23 we are going to establish a dynasty or at least a run like the 88 to 93 Irish !
Notre Dame 52 Florida State 19.

Reactions: BGI User 1798
Every team has question marks this year even Alabama. The talent level all around at ND is the best it has been under Kelly.
Marcus Freeman has heeped praise on Houston Griffith. That means we will have two superstar safetys and one super experienced great safety in DJ Brown.
As I have said all along Marcus Freeman is the last ingredient for a NC. Imagine what he will do with the super defensive talent at ND after what he did with the two and three stars at Cinci?
Kevin Austin is going to break out in a big way. Braden Lenzy will too. So will one of the freshman receivers. And with automatics in Mayer (mismatch) and Williams out of the backfield that will leave the receivers running wild and free in our opponents secondary. Our running game will also help our receivers.
The Irish will dominate college football this year and with the way they are recruiting for 22 and 23 we are going to establish a dynasty or at least a run like the 88 to 93 Irish !
Notre Dame 52 Florida State 19.
We’ll Bodie, I’m not going to refute anything you’ve said, as these sentiments are my hopes as well. You say they WILL and I say I HOPE THEY WILL. Lots of reasons to be encouraged, and the six practices that have taken place since my earlier post are revealing a lot of questions being answered in really positive fashion. Hart and Lewis looking good and Bracy the real positive surprise, and Henderson pushing for playing time. Don’t have a clue if Griffith is playing that well or being talked up, but hope the former as we really need this. OL is taking shape with Patterson decision, but really anxious for the starting five to be announced ASAP to get them playing as a unit. Skill positions on offense by most accounts look really really good.

I don't think I've ever been more confident since the days of Ara. I absolutely think the Irish will win every game this season. Even with all the new faces I believe the coaches will have ND ready from the start. Go Irish!

Reactions: irishalice
A ranking and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. I love to go look at preseason rankings at the end of the season and see who lived up to the hype.
I chose to share this with you,thinking you would not take offense at my touting UNC. I do it because UNC appears to be neck and neck in the pre-season and thought you might want to know the opponent. If not, just ignore. Mack Brown has really recruited well going into his 3D year, and Dre Bly is a big reason for this. If you go to tar heel times and watch the Dre Bly interview, you will see why recruits love him and why UNC is loaded with great players in the secondary. Bly was 2-time AA at UNC.

I chose to share this with you,thinking you would not take offense at my touting UNC. I do it because UNC appears to be neck and neck in the pre-season and thought you might want to know the opponent. If not, just ignore. Mack Brown has really recruited well going into his 3D year, and Dre Bly is a big reason for this. If you go to tar heel times and watch the Dre Bly interview, you will see why recruits love him and why UNC is loaded with great players in the secondary. Bly was 2-time AA at UNC.
Come talk to me about mid-season. :) I understand why you are excited about the Heels, but until there's proof on the field it's just hype.
....AND that goes for every team. I think the Irish will surprise this year by reloading instead of rebuilding, but until they prove it on the field...it's just my thoughts.

Come talk to me about mid-season. :) I understand why you are excited about the Heels, but until there's proof on the field it's just hype.
....AND that goes for every team. I think the Irish will surprise this year by reloading instead of rebuilding, but until they prove it on the field...it's just my thoughts.
I agree. But this year’s ND has to prove it on the field as well. But, given the players we have returning (21 of 22), a world-class QB, and top-rated underclassmen, and UNC being the equal of ND in nat’l ranking, I think UNC would beat ND on a neutral field. Last years’ s teams/game have nothing to do with the upcoming game. Now that is just my opinion, but I respect yours as well.

I agree. But this year’s ND has to prove it on the field as well. But, given the players we have returning (21 of 22), a world-class QB, and top-rated underclassmen, and UNC being the equal of ND in nat’l ranking, I think UNC would beat ND on a neutral field. Last years’ s teams/game have nothing to do with the upcoming game. Now that is just my opinion, but I respect yours as well.
Why say “But this year’s ND has to prove it on the field as well”. That’s what Alice said…it goes for every team…no but about it. Personally, I love what Brown has accomplished at UNC. He’s done A really nice job recruiting complimentary pieces, and they deserve their pre season ranking as much as anyone. I’m an unabashed ND fan and absolutely think they beat UNC at home, away, or on a neutral field. You think the reverse, and that’s part of what makes college football so damn exciting…each year starts anew with lots of new talent and unimaginable potential, if……..

ND will beat UNC again. You guys lost a lot of your top skill guys and your defense was garbage last year. Our DL will be too much for your OL. We win by 2 scores

Reactions: Ara64
ND will beat UNC again. You guys lost a lot of your top skill guys and your defense was garbage last year. Our DL will be too much for your OL. We win by 2 scores
You are “bluster” personified.

Why say “But this year’s ND has to prove it on the field as well”. That’s what Alice said…it goes for every team…no but about it. Personally, I love what Brown has accomplished at UNC. He’s done A really nice job recruiting complimentary pieces, and they deserve their pre season ranking as much as anyone. I’m an unabashed ND fan and absolutely think they beat UNC at home, away, or on a neutral field. You think the reverse, and that’s part of what makes college football so damn exciting…each year starts anew with lots of new talent and unimaginable potential, if……
Thank you! I'll stop banging my head on my desk now!! ;)

Preseason rankings are fun and get lots of clicks/fan boards posting, but until you see the proof in the puddin' on the field...it's all hype. That is the point I have been trying to make.

So ready for the season to start..nineteen days and counting down.

You guys are right but my eyes told me coming out of spring ball; this is going to be a very special team. I expect ND will kick butt and take no prisoners' this season. Remember this team has had spring and summer workout to get it fine tuned going into fall, unlike the team did last year.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
You guys are right but my eyes told me coming out of spring ball; this is going to be a very special team. I expect ND will kick butt and take no prisoners' this season. Remember this team has had spring and summer workout to get it fine tuned going into fall, unlike the team did last year.
No doubt Ara !!! This years team is special ! The Irish program is in a very special place right now. We keep getting better every year !!

Reactions: Ara64
This is Kelly's 12th year at ND. It took him 12 years to win a title at Grand Valley State.

This team is talented and the most important thing IMO is that Bama, Clemson (lost) and Ohio State all have rookie QB's. I also don't feel like any of their QB's are generational talents. My guess is those QB's all cost them a game.

I expect ND to go 12-0..... If we get OSU or Bama in the playoffs I don't think we have the fire power to beat them. But if they slip up and the playoffs end up being Notre Dame, Georgia, Oklahoma and TAMU or Oregon or Clemson I think ND has a very real shot of winning a National Title.

Reactions: francade
I said "might drop one or three" I'm including a bowl game.....12 reg season, 1 bowl....10-3. I dont know how we get there.....Its hard to predict "the game" we lose with a team unseen. Maybe its Purdue, Cinci or FSU....

I think FSU, UNC present the two largest challenges. FSU because of the timing, location (expect some home ref cooking) and untested in battle. UNC because they return their offense and have a top QB. I think Wisconsin and USC will be tough.

But without picking games, I think the low mark is 9-4 and the high mark is 11-2. I'm settled at 10-3 including the bowl.

seems like it’s time to bring this entire thread back for us all to remember. Who thinks we win it all still

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
I predict that the best, realistic, record is 8-4. Could be as bad as 7-5. The main reason is injuries. We’ve lost our o-line, plus some of the backups. I think Coan could be a great QB, but he is a straight drop-back, pocket passer. The left side of the line can’t stop anyone. The receivers don’t have time to setup their routes. We have great talent with the offensive skill players, but without an effective o-line they can’t do anything. Buchner was very impressive. We need a running QB. I hope we see more of him. I have a lot of confidence in both QBs. The defense has talent, but we’ve lost our entire starting linebackers, as well as some backups. BK has needed to take players from the receivers to fill the gaps. I can’t remember a season where we’ve had this many critical i njuries, and I’ve been following ND FB since the mid 50s. Injuries generally follow strength and conditioning. It may be time to rethink our training & conditioning program and how we’re coaching the o-line. BK has grown into his job. He is capable of winning a NC. Freeman will adapt and recruiting is improving. The future looks bright, but not this year.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Please stop with the jinx Bodi
Just let a season happen without these go all the way threads.
Love
The fan base.

I predict that the best, realistic, record is 8-4. Could be as bad as 7-5. The main reason is injuries. We’ve lost our o-line, plus some of the backups. I think Coan could be a great QB, but he is a straight drop-back, pocket passer. The left side of the line can’t stop anyone. The receivers don’t have time to setup their routes. We have great talent with the offensive skill players, but without an effective o-line they can’t do anything. Buchner was very impressive. We need a running QB. I hope we see more of him. I have a lot of confidence in both QBs. The defense has talent, but we’ve lost our entire starting linebackers, as well as some backups. BK has needed to take players from the receivers to fill the gaps. I can’t remember a season where we’ve had this many critical i njuries, and I’ve been following ND FB since the mid 50s. Injuries generally follow strength and conditioning. It may be time to rethink our training & conditioning program and how we’re coaching the o-line. BK has grown into his job. He is capable of winning a NC. Freeman will adapt and recruiting is improving. The future looks bright, but not this year.
Excellent analysis.

When injuries bite, all bets are off.

And how won't Coan's skills be wasted if he can't set up, and/or receivers can't finish.

Which means Buckner time. But, as talented as he is, how good can any offense be when it's predicated on its QB running around behind an iffy line while trying to make things happen.

That's the kind of grab-bag offense FSU has been running. Strictly hit or miss. And with plenty of miss.

Plus, if Buckner starts carrying 12 to 15 times a game, he, too, will get hurt.

I don't make predictions as there are far too many variables. But I see a steep climb ahead and would not be surprised at a multi-loss year.

Excellent analysis.

When injuries bite, all bets are off.

And how won't Coan's skills be wasted if he can't set up, and/or receivers can't finish.

Which means Buckner time. But, as talented as he is, how good can any offense be when it's predicated on its QB running around behind an iffy line while trying to make things happen.

That's the kind of grab-bag offense FSU has been running. Strictly hit or miss. And with plenty of miss.

Plus, if Buckner starts carrying 12 to 15 times a game, he, too, will get hurt.

I don't make predictions as there are far too many variables. But I see a steep climb ahead and would not be surprised at a multi-loss year.
Hey Mr. Thurston Howell the third, Notre Dames quarterbacks last name is Buchner.
Go troll elsewhere.

Hey Mr. Thurston Howell the third, Notre Dames quarterbacks last name is Buchner.
Go troll elsewhere.
And miss your SPOT-ON intensely accurate predictions every week? Not a chance, Mr. Spelling Bee.

What's it going to be this week? ND 90, Purdue, 0? Or will the Irish finally crack 100? What's your laser-like crystal ball say?

And I hear ND is adding four more games as they've heard you've predicted a 16-0 season.

You must have ridden with the Light Brigade.

Reactions: rivals50
We are in a rebuilding phase. Our offensive line took tremendous hits, and the play-calling doesn't suit the ability of the offensive line to protect the quarterback or stop the back side tackling of the running backs on the stretch place. Coan has the ability to release the ball quickly, and we need to change our passing game. He doesn't have time to set up to throw the ball 25 to 30 yards,. Slants,, crossing patterns buttonhook Etc. Use the passing game as an extension of the running game. And there's so many other things to fix. Defensive play-calling, utilizing Personnel properly, getting more people involved so they don't want to transfer into the portal because of lack of playing time the list goes on and on.

We are in a rebuilding phase. Our offensive line took tremendous hits, and the play-calling doesn't suit the ability of the offensive line to protect the quarterback or stop the back side tackling of the running backs on the stretch place. Coan has the ability to release the ball quickly, and we need to change our passing game. He doesn't have time to set up to throw the ball 25 to 30 yards,. Slants,, crossing patterns buttonhook Etc. Use the passing game as an extension of the running game. And there's so many other things to fix. Defensive play-calling, utilizing Personnel properly, getting more people involved so they don't want to transfer into the portal because of lack of playing time the list goes on and on.
All good points and suggestions for fixes.

There's no Instant Karma with chemistry. It's a process, not an event, and not all chemistries are created equal. It takes a while to see what you have . . . and then that's what you have.

And under no circumstances, do you go into week three as ND and find out after game three that you're suddenly ALABAMA. Assuming, that is, you're not Jiminy Cricket.

But here's something that no one seems to be commenting on:

In his presser Kelly made one reference to -- and it might have been two -- to trying to figure out WHO WE ARE -- or words to that effect. It sounded like he was confounded -- and possibly a little frosted -- over not being able to follow through in the DIRECTION HE'D ASSUMED THIS TEAM WOULD TAKE.

In other words, he seemed to be implying that something FUNDAMENTALLY STRATEGIC NEEDED RETHINKING.

If so, what might that be? O-Line, LB's, injuries, QB's, Freeman's scheme or his coaching or some combination of the above or even ALL of the above.

Sounded like he was looking at some watershed CHANGE. Or not. He seemed to be somewhat at odds.

Here's hoping he finds a solution to what was bothering him and can then set the season on a new and sounder course. The current lapses and productivity blackouts aren't conducive to winning consistently.

This is a terrible team this year, barely beating FSU and Toledo, who would struggle to beat some high school teams. The talent just isn't there yet. C'mon.

This is a terrible team this year, barely beating FSU and Toledo, who would struggle to beat some high school teams. The talent just isn't there yet. C'mon.
We are just getting warmed up ! We have the talent we just need to execute better !

All good points and suggestions for fixes.

There's no Instant Karma with chemistry. It's a process, not an event, and not all chemistries are created equal. It takes a while to see what you have . . . and then that's what you have.

And under no circumstances, do you go into week three as ND and find out after game three that you're suddenly ALABAMA. Assuming, that is, you're not Jiminy Cricket.

But here's something that no one seems to be commenting on:

In his presser Kelly made one reference to -- and it might have been two -- to trying to figure out WHO WE ARE -- or words to that effect. It sounded like he was confounded -- and possibly a little frosted -- over not being able to follow through in the DIRECTION HE'D ASSUMED THIS TEAM WOULD TAKE.

In other words, he seemed to be implying that something FUNDAMENTALLY STRATEGIC NEEDED RETHINKING.

If so, what might that be? O-Line, LB's, injuries, QB's, Freeman's scheme or his coaching or some combination of the above or even ALL of the above.

Sounded like he was looking at some watershed CHANGE. Or not. He seemed to be somewhat at odds.

Here's hoping he finds a solution to what was bothering him and can then set the season on a new and sounder course. The current lapses and productivity blackouts aren't conducive to winning consistently.
I think Kelly has said words to that effect every year...meaning what are our strengths and how do we play to these. What makes this year different is that we are three games in and the answers are Still not apparent. But as you’ve said, it’s a process and we are getting closer. I personally think the upcoming Wisconsin game will pretty much define our offensive identity, and the Cincinnati game will do the same as for our defense.

Reactions: 4-4-3
I think Kelly has said words to that effect every year...meaning what are our strengths and how do we play to these. What makes this year different is that we are three games in and the answers are Still not apparent. But as you’ve said, it’s a process and we are getting closer. I personally think the upcoming Wisconsin game will pretty much define our offensive identity, and the Cincinnati game will do the same as for our defense.
Good insights about who ND will be after those next two games.

Agree.

ADVERTISEMENT