ADVERTISEMENT

Who Believes ND will win it all this year? And why?

Might be a better chance of playoffs this year vs 22. I believe 22 has us @ Clemson and OSU. 2 incredibly tough games.....albeit certainly winnable.

true but you have to beat them anyway and a loss to one of two your in still.

It’s really going to come down to how many games you can get Buckner in. He is key. Your not a title contender with Pyne.

Also depends on who returns. We finally have 2 classes that have top 4 caliber players when added and the 22 class will just fill in the gaps. Should be a nice 2-3 year run starting in 22.

This year is a really tough pick I think for all of us fans. Of course we all want a 12-0. We have a QB that has never taken a snap, a transfer that has more playing time on the line than the entire rest of the team combined. Our two best WR's from last year are gone, and what remains could not beat them out. We lost our best blocking TE to boot and he was phenomenal. He also made key catches and stretched the D. Add in a new D coordinator and its a coin flip on what we got. That's the glass empty view.

The glass full is you got a starter that was top notch at Wisky, who actually has better stats than book. You have All-American caliber at 3 of the starting OL positions. You have arguably two of the top RB's in the nation and the top TE in the nation. You have a schedule ball all accounts that is weaker than most, more in line with say an OSU or OK. So maybe that gives us time to gain experience and improve.

There are just so many what if's on this team. FSU will be an early and excellent test. They lost one of the greatest coaches in history, they have not beaten us in that last few attempts, its night, its at home. They have great talent. We come together there, who knows.

If we have something here, we will see it early. Last years team started out really slow and came together. Duke and Louisville both had shots at taking us out. Then we put it together.

This year is a really tough pick I think for all of us fans. Of course we all want a 12-0. We have a QB that has never taken a snap, a transfer that has more playing time on the line than the entire rest of the team combined. Our two best WR's from last year are gone, and what remains could not beat them out. We lost our best blocking TE to boot and he was phenomenal. He also made key catches and stretched the D. Add in a new D coordinator and its a coin flip on what we got. That's the glass empty view.

The glass full is you got a starter that was top notch at Wisky, who actually has better stats than book. You have All-American caliber at 3 of the starting OL positions. You have arguably two of the top RB's in the nation and the top TE in the nation. You have a schedule ball all accounts that is weaker than most, more in line with say an OSU or OK. So maybe that gives us time to gain experience and improve.

There are just so many what if's on this team. FSU will be an early and excellent test. They lost one of the greatest coaches in history, they have not beaten us in that last few attempts, its night, its at home. They have great talent. We come together there, who knows.

If we have something here, we will see it early. Last years team started out really slow and came together. Duke and Louisville both had shots at taking us out. Then we put it together.
Id say are schedule is stronger than most. We play 4 ranked teams and no fcs. Look at Clemson's schedule. They play 1 ranked team. Our schedule is plenty tough compared to most

The Top 10 …​

10. Notre Dame: The Fighting Irish had a strong season while playing as a member of the ACC in 2020. They went 10-2 and finished the year ranked fourth in the CBS final poll. Now, Notre Dame is back to being an independent. They must offset the losses of nine starters on offense including quarterback Ian Book. Running back Kyren Williams will be the focal point of the offense.

9. Oregon: Anthony Brown is set to take over at quarterback and he has plenty of weapons around him. Kayvon Thibodeaux is one of the top returning defensive players in the nation. He is part of a star-studded and talented defensive core. This might be the year that Oregon breaks through.

8. North Carolina: The Tar Heels lose running backs Javonte Williams and Michael Carter and wide receivers Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome. Sam Howell returns as one of the top quarterbacks in the country and Tennessee graduate transfer running back Ty Chandler should play a big role. Chazz Surratt is gone, but despite losing its leading tackler, North Carolina should one of the best ACC defenses.

Yeah okay

The Top 10 …​

10. Notre Dame: The Fighting Irish had a strong season while playing as a member of the ACC in 2020. They went 10-2 and finished the year ranked fourth in the CBS final poll. Now, Notre Dame is back to being an independent. They must offset the losses of nine starters on offense including quarterback Ian Book. Running back Kyren Williams will be the focal point of the offense.

9. Oregon: Anthony Brown is set to take over at quarterback and he has plenty of weapons around him. Kayvon Thibodeaux is one of the top returning defensive players in the nation. He is part of a star-studded and talented defensive core. This might be the year that Oregon breaks through.

8. North Carolina: The Tar Heels lose running backs Javonte Williams and Michael Carter and wide receivers Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome. Sam Howell returns as one of the top quarterbacks in the country and Tennessee graduate transfer running back Ty Chandler should play a big role. Chazz Surratt is gone, but despite losing its leading tackler, North Carolina should one of the best ACC defense
A ranking and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. I love to go look at preseason rankings at the end of the season and see who lived up to the hype.

Reactions: NIN Irish
A ranking and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee. I love to go look at preseason rankings at the end of the season and see who lived up to the hype.
I agree. But when my team is getting some love it makes me feel good. And, it also makes me feel good that UNC is mentioned in same breath as ND this season. My team should be good this year. That’s all.

I agree. But when my team is getting some love it makes me feel good. And, it also makes me feel good that UNC is mentioned in same breath as ND this season. My team should be good this year. That’s all.
Are you an ND or UNC fan?

I didn't know we were playing Alabama this year? I need to go back to school I guess! I think first-winning the season. I certainly think ND can and will win every game on it's schedule this year. I looked at the starting lineups in the B&G game and got extremely excited about the product on the field. I then looked at the guys replacing the starters and couldn't see hardly any drop off. It lead me to the conclusion that BK and his staff have finally got ND to that point where ND no longer rebuilds but simply reloads, so bring on Wisconsin or USC. This team can beat them all. The difference in ND and Clemson last year was TL. I believe he's moved on Thank The Lord! Clemson is still great BUT not scary great. Alabama is Alabama and that's the great mountain ND must climb. A lot of things must fall right for ND to defeat the Tide. I'm waiting on that one.

Reactions: Kelso86
Stated prior and I stand by it and will take the beating if I am wrong hopefully. I think we drop the opener to FSU (new OL, new QB, new WR), at night, bowden diagnosis will have some special "thing". I think we will not be able to score with UNC......Then you have USC, Cinci and Wisky.....might drop 1 or 3 there....maybe 2.....

Tons of talent, no argument there.....all depends on how fast they gel. If we brought in a Tua or Fields from the waiver wire I would say even with the OL we are OK.......just too many losses to overcome in 21......now, 2022 we are back in the playoffs.

No way ND loses 3-4 (unless the injury bug severly hits ND) this year.

UNC Alum, But I admire ND. My work took me to campus several times, and I attended last UNC game there. Everybody treated my contingent great. It was a close game. On that day ND couldn’t contain UNC QB.

"On that day ND couldn’t contain UNC QB."

If you are talking the shootout at ND where ND won 50-43 back in 2014, that DC is long gone, and ND is in a much better place defensively (scheme wise and overall talent).

Heck, they stated last year ND was going to struggle with the RB/QB tandem -- all ND did was shut them down for the better part of the last 3 quarters.

Don't sell ND's defense short.

"On that day ND couldn’t contain UNC QB."

If you are talking the shootout at ND where ND won 50-43 back in 2014, that DC is long gone, and ND is in a much better place defensively (scheme wise and overall talent).

Heck, they stated last year ND was going to struggle with the RB/QB tandem -- all ND did was shut them down for the better part of the last 3 quarters.

Don't sell ND's defense short.
I don’t underestimate anything about ND. Do you know anything about UNC’s defense? They have 10 of 11 back on defense, with depth for the first time since Mack is back. UNC defense picked to be among best in ACC.

I don’t underestimate anything about ND. Do you know anything about UNC’s defense? They have 10 of 11 back on defense, with depth for the first time since Mack is back. UNC defense picked to be among best in ACC.

"I don’t underestimate anything about ND. Do you know anything about UNC’s defense? They have 10 of 11 back on defense, with depth for the first time since Mack is back. UNC defense picked to be among best in ACC"

Do I "know them" -- no, not in the way I follow ND. However, byt the time ND and UNC meet, the offense shoulr have its identify. and, the 10 back from last year, a defense that ND wore down as well, I think ND will be alright. But, that is why we play the games -- correct?

ND's way to physical for NC. Just another undefeated journey through the ACC.

I vote YES.

Reasons why:

1-- The most talent of any Irish team in recent memory. Great competition for playing time.
2-- An experienced gunslinger (accurate like Doc Holliday) at QB--Jack Coan
with two automatic superstar Offensive players in Michael Mayer and Kyren Williams to bail him out.
3--The deepest D-LINE in the country. Better than any SEC Dline.
4-- Superstar Kyle Hamilton at Safety.
5-- One of the best Olines in the Nation with talent and two ultra experienced lineman in Jarret Patterson and Cain Madden to complement Superstud Blake Fisher.
6-- Marcus Freeman !!!!
7- No weak spots at linebacker with Prince Kollie (Lawrence Taylor JR.) to come in and increse his reps as he WOW's us with GREAT plays !

*** I could go on and on but won't. The Irish have a GREAT strength coach and great position coaches and a GREAT D-coach who will show a more aggressive ball hawking defense. I expect many more turnovers created by our defense this year !

*** The Irish have a tough schedule to challenge them almost every Saturday but the Irish should be favored in every game.

Go IRISH !! Lets get this party started !!
Beat the seminoles !!
First, no one knows what will happen in the next 5 minutes let alone within any longer time frame.

Second, wishing doesn’t make it so. Either with predictions or anything else.

That said, some coefficient-free PROBABILITIES on not just the team’s performance but also related issues as pertains to board views, the season, the experience:

ND will both win and lose a number of games.

Ties, which can still occur due to weather suspensions, are unlikely.

ND will beat the point spread at least once.

A number of key players will get injured.

Other players will get injured.

Players on opposing teams – key and otherwise – will get injured.

Kevin Austin may get injured.

A certain number of players will, for various non-injury related issues, leave the team.

There may be COVID-related issues.

There will be penalties.

There will be missed field goals.

Players will lose both their cool and their helmets.

People will fret over ND’s secondary.

People will both praise and criticize the color shades of ND’s uniforms.

After Jack Coan’s first interception and/or ND’s first loss, there will be calls to replace him.

Players no one was counting on will do well.

Players everyone expected great things from will not deliver.

People will praise the ND TV announcers.

People will denigrate the ND TV announcers.

At different times, those praising and those denigrating will be the same people.

Responses to the announcers will be closely correlated to ND’s individual game performances.

Most of the game day predictions will be lopsided in ND’s favor and contain unrealistic point spreads.

Few will pick against ND in any game unless it starts losing regularly.

There will be instances of bad officiating.

Bad officiating will be blamed for any number of bad outcomes.

Brian Kelly will occasionally lose it.

There will be numerous TV close-ups of Marcus Freeman and Tommy Rees.

The band will perform at halftime during home games.

The team will sing the ND alma mater after home games.

A number of players will cry on Senior Day.

Because of TV timeouts, games, particularly at home, will be drawn out affairs.

Bodi will predict resounding victories every week.

Last edited:
"I don’t underestimate anything about ND. Do you know anything about UNC’s defense? They have 10 of 11 back on defense, with depth for the first time since Mack is back. UNC defense picked to be among best in ACC"

Do I "know them" -- no, not in the way I follow ND. However, byt the time ND and UNC meet, the offense shoulr have its identify. and, the 10 back from last year, a defense that ND wore down as well, I think ND will be alright. But, that is why we play the games -- correct?
Absolutely! UNC defense shouldn’t wear down this year, that’s the big difference. They now have depth. At least that is what is being written about them. And if they have 10 back, that suggests they were very young last year. I think UNC will be good, but good enough to beat ND, we’ll see. Home field advantage is real. Just like at last year’s regular season game w/Clemson, compared to ACC Championship.

I always pick ND to win all their games. Because I'm a homer fan.

That said, I think that like last year, because of covid, ND will have an advantage due to their discipline and team commitment. I think that the type of player ND brings gives them an advantage during these crazy times. I have no evidence, just a hunch that it's true.

Other teams that will benefit due to the confusion caused by the virus will be teams with overall outstanding talent and great coaching (Alabama, Clemson)

So it won't be easy nor is it ever, but they can , win it all this year. Teams like Alabama and Clemson will be formidable, but ND can beat them if they get some breaks.

UNC had beat ND twice, both times at UNC. So I look forward to another great game with them. They always seem to have an entire team that's 6-9 and athletic.

Dominate both lines of Scrimmage

Best TE and S in college football

Veteran proven winner at QB

Great RB group

WR group that should be better than every opponents secondary all season

Reactions: IrishMike409

Dominate both lines of Scrimmage

Best TE and S in college football

Veteran proven winner at QB

Great RB group

WR group that should be better than every opponents secondary all season
Not looking to “one-up” you, but UNC secondary expected to be one of ACC’s best in 2021: “UNC should have one of the best defensive backfields in the ACC with a trio of standout cornerbacks in Storm Duck, Tony Grimes and Kyler McMichael. Duck missed the final 10 games last season because of injury, but he was one of UNC's top defensive players as a freshman in 2019. Grimes and McMichael were impressive in Duck's place, with Grimes living up to his lofty billing as one of the nation's top cornerback recruits. Safety Trey Morrison (31 career starts) brings valuable experience at several positions.”

Not looking to “one-up” you, but UNC secondary expected to be one of ACC’s best in 2021: “UNC should have one of the best defensive backfields in the ACC with a trio of standout cornerbacks in Storm Duck, Tony Grimes and Kyler McMichael. Duck missed the final 10 games last season because of injury, but he was one of UNC's top defensive players as a freshman in 2019. Grimes and McMichael were impressive in Duck's place, with Grimes living up to his lofty billing as one of the nation's top cornerback recruits. Safety Trey Morrison (31 career starts) brings valuable experience at several positions.”
That’s still really not saying much

At the start of every season I am always thinking NC. However, I don’t let my hope get in the way of reality. One game at a time, and I keep optimistic
until someone beats us !

Reactions: irishalice
In your opinion, which says even less, because it is biased. The informed and unbiased expect UNC defense to be good this year.
The Irish have a pretty good record against this tough ACC competition. No one is worried about UNCs defense

Reactions: Golson5
« Seven guys on the defensive line are at least 300 pounds and seven are at least 6-foot-3. They’ll match up with any team’s offensive line. ». This is a quote from a college sports publication. », not from a « homer »

« Seven guys on the defensive line are at least 300 pounds and seven are at least 6-foot-3. They’ll match up with any team’s offensive line. ». This is a quote from a college sports publication. », not from a « homer »
Same or possibly worse front 7 ND bounced for 5.5 yards a carry last season.

Reactions: Golson5
They stunk last year. This year you'll see an improvement to maybe average
Coming from a mouthy homer who obviously doesn’t know his ass from 3D base. Doesn’t sound like a ND alum for sure.

Coming from a mouthy homer who obviously doesn’t know his ass from 3D base. Doesn’t sound like a ND alum for sure.
Yet, here you are a big UNC homer telling Irish fans (on their own board) how great the Heels are going to be! Do you really think an Irish fan is going to agree with all your thoughts?

You need to lose the attitude and remember you're a visitor here!

So are you saying your defense was good last year? Did they not stink? Are you going to be a homer and tell us you had a good D?

The Top 10 …​

8. North Carolina: The Tar Heels lose running backs Javonte Williams and Michael Carter and wide receivers Dyami Brown and Dazz Newsome. Sam Howell returns as one of the top quarterbacks in the country and Tennessee graduate transfer running back Ty Chandler should play a big role. Chazz Surratt is gone, but despite losing its leading tackler, North Carolina should one of the best ACC defenses.
We finished higher than preseason rankings 4 of the last 5 years. People have a tendency to underrate ND and Brian Kelly. There are question marks: we're not playin in the ACC this year, OL, CBs, new system on D and losing Book... But I'm cautiously optimistic. I've learned to never count a Brian Kelly coached ND team out.

Reactions: irishalice
You keep talking about last year. I am simply providing you info about how UNC’s 2021 defense is being perceived by the sports media. Sorry you don’t get that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT