ADVERTISEMENT

Where are ALL the Book and Kelly haters???

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
You guys only come around if ND has had a bad game.

Or if Book or Kelly had a tough game.

However, after a near perfect performance, WHERE ARE YOU AT!!!!

Oh, that’s right ND should beat a team like this. Oh, that’s right ND played a JV team yesterday.

ND just pushed their home win streak to 20!!!

Second most home consecutive wins EVER!

I have said it before and I will say it again, while you negative Nancy’s wanna keep screaming the sky is falling, you are missing one of the GREATEST ND Eras in over 30 years!

Oh, that’s right ND should beat a team like this. Oh, that’s right ND played a JV team yesterday.

I have said it before and I will say it again, while you negative Nancy’s wanna keep screaming the sky is falling, you are missing one of the GREATEST ND Eras in over 30 years!

Not a Book hater, I don’t hate the players. Not even a Kelly hater, just think he’s taken the program as far as he can.

The fact that you’re giddy about beating up on Duke and a glorified high school team in USF, and calling this the greatest ND Era in 30 years is all I need to know.
35-6 looks great on paper, but out scored 197-81 in those 6 losses, zero major bowl wins, zero wins against top 5, blow out losses. I mean even Charlie Weis had two 10-2 seasons, but I wouldn’t call that a great era.

Honestly, don’t you think it’s time Kelly gets a win vs a top 5 team, or wins a major bowl game after 11 years?, or let’s set the bar really low, doesn’t get blown out by a ranked opponent.

In a previous post you stated Kelly is just as good as Holtz. What Kelly has yet to achieve in 11 years Holtz managed in 3. Won a major bowl game, won against top 5 competition, not once, but multiple times, and aside from the 1st two seasons was competitive in all their losses.

Last edited:
ND played really solid yesterday in all aspects. South Florida is just awful. I liked to see some back ups getting some game time experience. We have some depth, which is needed.

Not a Book hater, I don’t hate the players. Not even a Kelly hater, just think he’s taken the program as far as he can.

The fact that you’re giddy about beating up on Duke and a glorified high school team in USF, and calling this the greatest ND Era in 30 years is all I need to know.
35-6 looks great on paper, but out scored 197-81 in those 6 losses, zero major bowl wins, zero wins against top 5, blow out losses. I mean even Charlie Weis had two 10-2 seasons, but I wouldn’t call that a great era.

Honestly, don’t you think it’s time Kelly gets a win vs a top 5 team, or wins a major bowl game after 11 years?, or let’s set the bar really low, doesn’t get blown out by a ranked opponent.

In a previous post you stated Kelly is just as good as Holtz. What Kelly has yet to achieve in 11 years Holtz managed in 3. Won a major bowl game, won against top 5 competition, not once, but multiple times, and aside from the 1st two seasons was competitive in all their losses.

You realize 'hater' is just an expression, it doesn't really mean full-blown hatred. Though for some hardcore fans it really is hatred, at least when it comes to Brian Kelly. I don't think there's anyone quite like that on this board, but there are plenty of haters in the more casual slangy sense of the word. That sounds like it includes you the way you're talking in this post. You might think you're not, but maybe you are. Just saying is all.

The OP just said it, about how good we're doing... And it's true, 12-0 two seasons ago, 10-2 last year, 2-0 with a bullet and headed for a big showdown witih Clemson.... and yet all the hostility and the negativity, or at least arms folded and dissatisfaction. What gives?

It's okay, though, being a so-called hater is a common phenomenon in the age of social media. It's just what people do. And I wouldn't mind if were were going 8-4. But not when we're winning like this. I would say it's unacceptable, but that's the kind of language haters like to use, when they make some arbitrary demand that BK or Ian Book has to meet before they get any respect. Sound familiar?

1. when did I say I was giddy about beating Duke?
When did I say great win yesterday? I am very excited that under Kelly, ND has won 20 straight home games.

2. Weis has one double digit winning season. Comparing Weis and Kelly is ridiculous.

3. You guys wanna keep bringing up no major bowl wins no wins against top 5 teams. That is absolutely a fair argument. That is definitely a negative in the ND Kelly era. However, Lou had loaded teams that should have brought at least two more championships.
1989 lost to Miami 10-27
1992 lost to #18 Stanford at home 16-33
1993 lost to BC at home

4. Kelly has absolutely brought the ND football program out of the trash heap.
He has dominated every ND rival!
To me dominating your rival is equally as important to beating a top 5 team or even winning a major bowl game (outside of a championship).

Kelly is every once the coach that Lou is. I am not saying he is better, I am saying Kelly is just as good as Lou.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Still think book is average. Arm strength is a problem, can’t stretch the field. Misses open receivers. Did better this week going through progressions but it was against USF. He had all day in the pocket.
Arm strength is average?
Did you miss the 30 yard rollout to the sideline?

That’s not a weak throw

You realize 'hater' is just an expression, it doesn't really mean full-blown hatred. Though for some hardcore fans it really is hatred, at least when it comes to Brian Kelly. I don't think there's anyone quite like that on this board, but there are plenty of haters in the more casual slangy sense of the word. That sounds like it includes you the way you're talking in this post. You might think you're not, but maybe you are. Just saying is all.

The OP just said it, about how good we're doing... And it's true, 12-0 two seasons ago, 10-2 last year, 2-0 with a bullet and headed for a big showdown witih Clemson.... and yet all the hostility and the negativity, or at least arms folded and dissatisfaction. What gives?

It's okay, though, being a so-called hater is a common phenomenon in the age of social media. It's just what people do. And I wouldn't mind if were were going 8-4. But not when we're winning like this. I would say it's unacceptable, but that's the kind of language haters like to use, when they make some arbitrary demand that BK or Ian Book has to meet before they get any respect. Sound familiar?

Believe me, I’m happy with where BK has brought the program. I just think he brought it as far as he can take it. As for the 2-0 start, yea it’s great, and I hope ND continues this success and dominance. My expectations are tempered. I want to see how we do vs Clemson and UNC. Another beat down vs Clemson, and shouldn’t we ask has the program made progress from 2018 or 2019?

Holtz once said something to the affect that if you’re standing still or not growing your dying.
Kelly has to take that next step, win that game vs a top 5 team, win a major bowl game. What’s the point of 10 win seasons if the program isn’t taking that next step and continuing to get better. As a fan is this an unrealistic expectation?

Arm strength is average?
Did you miss the 30 yard rollout to the sideline?

That’s not a weak throw
I don’t personally think arm strength is an issue for Book. You cite one good example, and we’ve seen him make some great difficult throws rolling left or right that testify to good arm strength. That said, Book is so risk adverse that he won’t pull the trigger until he sees real separation, and he simply shies away from over the top passes. He played well yesterday, but he had great protection and all day to make his passes, a luxury we won’t enjoy against Pitt or N Carolina St or Clemson, etc... Still hoping we see significant improvement, mostly mental in nature.

Reactions: Zorich 88
Believe me, I’m happy with where BK has brought the program. I just think he brought it as far as he can take it. As for the 2-0 start, yea it’s great, and I hope ND continues this success and dominance. My expectations are tempered. I want to see how we do vs Clemson and UNC. Another beat down vs Clemson, and shouldn’t we ask has the program made progress from 2018 or 2019?

Holtz once said something to the affect that if you’re standing still or not growing your dying.
Kelly has to take that next step, win that game vs a top 5 team, win a major bowl game. What’s the point of 10 win seasons if the program isn’t taking that next step and continuing to get better. As a fan is this an unrealistic expectation?
You mention 10 wins like it’s a given for teams to win 10 games consistently.

Without doing the math, my guess is at least 80% of D1 programs do not reach 10 wins each season.

So let’s say less than 15% of teams get at least 10 wins.

so 10 wins on a consistent basis is an elite program.

Notre Dame is an elite program. They are continually favored in the majority of their games year after year.

There are not many teams in the country right now, that I would trade places with.

Ohio State
Clemson
Bama
LSU

Sooners????
That’s four-five programs out of what? 120?

This is by far the best Notre Dame era in almost 30 years!

I am calling coaches the era:

Holtz 96’ his last season
Davie
Ty
Charlie
That’s almost 30 years

I don’t personally think arm strength is an issue for Book. You cite one good example, and we’ve seen him make some great difficult throws rolling left or right that testify to good arm strength. That said, Book is so risk adverse that he won’t pull the trigger until he sees real separation, and he simply shies away from over the top passes. He played well yesterday, but he had great protection and all day to make his passes, a luxury we won’t enjoy against Pitt or N Carolina St or Clemson, etc... Still hoping we see significant improvement, mostly mental in nature.

Right, exactly, thank you. Here's some Book criticism, that IMO at least is more to the purpose, rather than just he saying He Sucks!!!

Yes, he does seem rather risk-averse, or something along those lines. Who knows what's going on in his brain exactly, and whether's he risk-averse in a good way, and a prudent way... or that he's taken it to an extreme and he needs to get over it and start making and attempting some of those more audacious throws more often.

Maybe he's well aware of his shortcomings as a passer in terms of accuracy/arm strength/arm talent, and he wisely is cautious when it comes to trying some of these tougher throws lest it backfires and we regret he even made the attempt. Or he just lacks the confidence and it's a mental block for him. Whichever it may be it can't be denied his success rate as a starting QB is fantastic, and while a few more ambitious completions downfield might have been the difference vs UGA, he's literally only lost three games while he's been the starter and two of those games we weren't going to win no matter what - Clemson and Michigan.

So yes, for the umpteenth time, Book is no Baker Mayfield, but how is the team/program suffering with him as our starter, even with his undeniable lack of superior passing prowess? That's all I'm saying! But yeah, I would tend to agree that being risk averse is one of his defining qualities, whatever it is that might drive that tendency, and that's probably not going to change over the course of this season. So I for one would be delighted if Book beats everyone we're supposed to beat, warts and all, and when we play Clemson, let's hope we get lucky.

Reactions: Zorich 88

Without doing the math, my guess is at least 80% of D1 programs do not reach 10 wins each season.

Notre Dame is an elite program. They are continually favored in the majority of their games year after year.

There are not many teams in the country right now, that I would trade places with.

Ohio State
Clemson
Bama
LSU

Sooners????

Davie
Ty
Charlie
That’s almost 30 years

What else can you say at this point - haters gonna hate.....

yep! trophy case is full of team honors!
consider this, if UM had the same record and the same record in the nationally significant games,
would you still be touting their great era? (ND has the advantage of not playing tOSU every year)

Weis never went 10 and 2. His best record was 10 and 3. And never won double digits other than that

Ohio State
Clemson
Bama
LSU

Sooners????

Davie
Ty
Charlie
That’s almost 30 years

We’re not any program. The expectations are that we contend most years. If it wasn’t, Ty and Weiss would have coachedat ND until they left on their own terms. Like I said 10 wins are great, 35-6 is great, but the lack of a signature win, major bowl win during this run, makes it feel like ND is a paper champion.

Reactions: spenna
We’re not any program. The expectations are that we contend most years. If it wasn’t, Ty and Weiss would have coachedat ND until they left on their own terms. Like I said 10 wins are great, 35-6 is great, but the lack of a signature win, major bowl win during this run, makes it feel like ND is a paper champion.
I think you are correct ..

Reactions: NDinNJ
yep! trophy case is full of team honors!
consider this, if UM had the same record and the same record in the nationally significant games,
would you still be touting their great era? (ND has the advantage of not playing tOSU every year)
Funny you bring up Michigan:
I Live 45 min outside Ann Arbor. I am surrounded by Sparty and skunk bear fans.

Jim is on the hot seat because he has not beaten his rival Ohio St. plus, MSU has some big wins against him.

Jim got Michigan to #2 in the country at one point. However, his seat is hot because he is 0-5 vs Ohio State.

I understand what you are saying.

However, is it coaching or is it players?

The Notre Dame academic standard is a higher standard than what LSU, Bama and Clemson have.

ND does not get the same level athlete that those schools get.

I believe Kelly has gotten everything he can out of the players he has recruited and coached at ND.

I do not believe ANY coach in the country could do a better job at Notre Dame.

Played much better yesterday but still missed two pretty routine throws that would have been touchdowns. The wheel route to Tremble and the one to Wilkins in the end zone.

Reactions: Golson5

I’m right here —. juvenile post Btw

Book missed open receivers. Much improved performance for the year 4 QB. He’s still average. AlwaYs will be. What do you want a miracle?
he will always be decent that’s the best you get. It ain’t bad ND deserves better.
and don’t give me that win record garbage. Show me a solid performance against a top team. His best was vs LSU 2 years ago
So stop your petty whining. We all get behind our players. That doesn’t mean we can’t be critical.
Kelly? He has improved tremendously in past 3 years. One of our best coaches ever. Probably around 5 th best

Reactions: Golson5

Book missed open receivers. Much improved performance for the year 4 QB. He’s still average. AlwaYs will be. What do you want a miracle?
he will always be decent that’s the best you get. It ain’t bad ND deserves better.
and don’t give me that win record garbage. Show me a solid performance against a top team. His best was vs LSU 2 years ago
So stop your petty whining. We all get behind our players. That doesn’t mean we can’t be critical.
Kelly? He has improved tremendously in past 3 years. One of our best coaches ever. Probably around 5 th best
Book is a great college QB. You don't have the won loss record with an average QB.

You better get back on the train before we leave the station. You were an Ian Book fan before I was.

*** I have stayed a Book fan because he always gets the Irish to the red zone and then gets them in.

*** He just scored three tds by have halftime. Most by an Irish QB ever at halftime. He is no five star Dane Crist or Jimmy C. that ran like sloths and fumbled near the endzone.

Why is it so damn important for you to degrade other Irish players to try and prove your point? BQ, JC, and Dayne. You even threw Lou into the mix in an attempt to drive it all home. You can comment all over the board in all the bold type from here until the end of times, but no one will be convinced until Ian himself proves that he can beat an elite team. Insulting former Irish players is childish and makes your argument go nowhere fast. Ian's a big boy. He shouldn't need some random poster to argue in his favor every two seconds on a message board. He needs to prove it himself. Everyone is pulling for him. No one wants Ian or anyone else to fail.

Why is it so damn important for you to degrade other Irish players to try and prove your point? BQ, JC, and Dayne. You even threw Lou into the mix in an attempt to drive it all home. You can comment all over the board in all the bold type from here until the end of times, but no one will be convinced until Ian himself proves that he can beat an elite team. Insulting former Irish players is childish and makes your argument go nowhere fast. Ian's a big boy. He shouldn't need some random poster to argue in his favor every two seconds on a message board. He needs to prove it himself. Everyone is pulling for him. No one wants Ian or anyone else to fail.

I did not denigrate Brady Quinn or Lou Holtz you idiot. I loved Lou and Brady. They are both two oif my alltime favorites. I said why don't you get on Brady for not winning the big game like you do Ian? I also didn't denigrate Lou as I said we haven't won any Big games (you know the big games the haters talk about) since Lou.

You can kiss my a$$. Toby "not so" SMART. If you don't like my posts--put me on ignore. If not carefully read my posts and don't make sh$t up !

You and IrishJohn are two peas in a pod.

I did not denigrate Brady Quinn or Lou Holtz you idiot. I loved Lou and Brady. They are both two oif my alltime favorites. I said why don't you get on Brady for not winning the big game like you do Ian? I also didn't denigrate Lou as I said we haven't won any Big games (you know the big games the haters talk about) since Lou.

You can kiss my a$$. Toby "not so" SMART. If you don't like my posts--put me on ignore. If not carefully read my posts and don't make sh$t up !

You and IrishJohn are two peas in a pod.
Bodi the man child. I'm not ever going to place you on ignore. I'll always be around. You are my best friend in the whole world. "Notre Dame has been doing poorly in big games SINCE early .Holtz". Not sure what the extra period is for. If that statement is yours, then that statement is not accurate. You must of missed the countless times I said that we all want Ian to be successful. He doesn't need your endless exhausting rants to prove he is a great college QB. He should prove it himself on the field. Stay tuned. The season is young.

Bodi the man child. I'm not ever going to place you on ignore. I'll always be around. You are my best friend in the whole world. "Notre Dame has been doing poorly in big games SINCE early .Holtz". Not sure what the extra period is for. If that statement is yours, then that statement is not accurate. You must of missed the countless times I said that we all want Ian to be successful. He doesn't need your endless exhausting rants to prove he is a great college QB. He should prove it himself on the field. Stay tuned. The season is young.

I don't think we need your boring "I knew so and so rants" but maybe somebody does. Live and let live I say.
And Notso, According to the haters we have not had a BIG WIN since the early Holtz years. That is far from trashing him, stupid.

And when did you become a grammar Nazi? You were bad enough without adding that to your repertoire..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT