ADVERTISEMENT

What is your CONV-19 workout routine?

Im a five-six time a week gym guy so this has been annoying AF.

That said we make do, I’m fortunate that I’m on my agencies Special Response Team and we have some decent free weights in our hangar, but the hangar is 75 minutes away, so I only go up twice a week.

Today I did 6 rounds of 2 1/2 minutes of HIIT - 15 minutes total.

30 seconds burpees, 30 sec mountain climbers, 30 sec jumping jacks, 30 sec jump squats, 30 sec high knees with a 75 second break between sets.

Then I did 4 x 15 burpees with my 30lb weighted vest. Burpees suck..

Yesterday I did Bas Ruten as I have a heavy bag.10 x 3 minute rounds.

Just stay after it fellas, no excuses.

In spring when the restrictions were way drastic I did more sport at home. Every morning I went for a run then I worked a bit and in the afternoon I did some exercises from YT videos. Now because I am back in the office it’s hard to find some time for sport. Sometimes I go for a run in the morning and I now ordered an under desk epileptic from https://calibrate.fitness/cubii-jr-under-desk-elliptical-review/ :D I do not know what to expect but I wait till it gets to me to see what it represents.

Last edited:
Wow, we pulled this thread from way back, it’s def the off-season. I’m back at CrossFit, have been for months. I’ve started Krav Maga. With all this craziness in the world I feel I need to be able to whoop some ass.

I’ve got a Tonal. Best investment I’ve ever made. It’s like having an entire gym mounted on my wall. The AI they use for the machine is insane too.

Reactions: IrishMike409
First of all I will be 58 in two weeks----I have an olympic bar (44lbs) at home and 400 lbs worth of weights. I also have dumbells.

*** Before the virus I used to go to the Park/lake/woods and do chin ups, dips, and a exercise for the abs when I hang from a bar or tree branch and lift up my legs and hold them up for awhile---I also lifted big rocks and walked with them. Also ran hills there.
But it is now closed so I do home workouts.

This morning I took out my olympic bar and added a 45lb plate to each side and cleaned the weight to my shoulders and did military pressses from there.
After a few sets I did a few sets of bent rows.
Then I did some dumbell curls to keep my veins popping in my arms.
I finished with a max set of pushups.
Now I am going to eat a big slab of baby back ribs that I bbq'd while I worked out.

*** Later to day I am going to run a few miles with loops of downhill and uphill for a GREAT cardio workout !! And after I am done running I will do squats with no weights to keep my thighs and butt from withering away.
*** I am going to finish off with romance with my beautifull wife !!

***We Irish fans need to keep in shape !!! Just like the players !!

****What workouts are you guys doing !! I like to learn !!
Go Irish !! Sink Navy !!
I am 68. On Mondays and Fridays I ride my bike about 5 miles into my old office building where I use a machine to bench 5 sets of ten from 120 to 160 and a set of 21 at 120 when finished with those. I also use a machine to curl five sets of 13 reps and do 2 sets of lat pulls. I ride back home. Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays I will run about 1/3 of a mile then do stretching and ab work. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays I will ride my bike about 4 miles. Sundays and Fridays I play golf first thing so Sundays I have no workout.

I am 68. On Mondays and Fridays I ride my bike about 5 miles into my old office building where I use a machine to bench 5 sets of ten from 120 to 160 and a set of 21 at 120 when finished with those. I also use a machine to curl five sets of 13 reps and do 2 sets of lat pulls. I ride back home. Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays I will run about 1/3 of a mile then do stretching and ab work. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays I will ride my bike about 4 miles. Sundays and Fridays I play golf first thing so Sundays I have no workout.
I presume you are retired? Kind of hard to fit work in that schedule. :)

Monday - 45 min on elliptical, then 20 minutes core, at gym
Tuesday - Chest (pushups), shoulders (dumbells), triceps (resistance bands and dumbells) and biceps (dumbells) at home
Wednesday - 10 miles on stationary bike, then 20 minutes core (different routine from Monday), at gym
Thursday - Repeat Monday, with another different core routine
Friday - Repeat Tuesday

Saturday and Sunday rest, unless really nice out which means possible 20 to 30 mile bike ride on rail trail. I used to workout on Saturday every week, so six times a week, but now in early 60s, found that caused more soreness and fatigue than any benefit from it.

Whatever you can do with four pairs of dumbbells. That's my new gym, has been for many months now. Not as much variety, but ultimately not too different. Just keep it simpler is all.

Whatever you can do with four pairs of dumbbells. That's my new gym, has been for many months now. Not as much variety, but ultimately not too different. Just keep it simpler is all.
That week of St Patrick's day last March, when the world was coming to an end, I bought the last 15, 20 and 25 LB dumbbells that Dick's had. I even left the labels on them thinking I'd return them in a few weeks after COVID was over. Ha. They have been my salvation.

That's exactly what I have. 15, 20, 25 and 40. That actually pretty much covers everything, as far as basic bench, curls, military press, etc. As I get older I try to do more reps, less weight, with better, slower form so as to spare my joints and whatnot, and that part of the whole thing has been great. And I scored this sweet reclining scan-design type chair at a neighbor's garage sale that I use as a makeshift bench.

And I too had to check with my local Big 5 sporting goods every week before they got some weights in and it was at least a couple months that I had to go without. I'm not sure if I'll even go back to the gym, even though it's definitely better. But for the time being I'm cool.

That's exactly what I have. 15, 20, 25 and 40. That actually pretty much covers everything, as far as basic bench, curls, military press, etc. As I get older I try to do more reps, less weight, with better, slower form so as to spare my joints and whatnot, and that part of the whole thing has been great. And I scored this sweet reclining scan-design type chair at a neighbor's garage sale that I use as a makeshift bench.

And I too had to check with my local Big 5 sporting goods every week before they got some weights in and it was at least a couple months that I had to go without. I'm not sure if I'll even go back to the gym, even though it's definitely better. But for the time being I'm cool.
When you are young weight training is about the capacity of your muscles. When you are old weight training is about the capacity of your joints and tendons. In your 60s, if you lift to the capacity of your muscles you will do serious damage to yourself. As you said, less weight, more reps, better form, better health, better results.

Wow, we pulled this thread from way back, it’s def the off-season. I’m back at CrossFit, have been for months. I’ve started Krav Maga. With all this craziness in the world I feel I need to be able to whoop some ass.

I have added picking up boulders up to waist level and walking as far as I can with them. Sometimes it is great but once I tried picking up a big rock and I got dizzy and passed out. Getting old sucks !

I have added picking up boulders up to waist level and walking as far as I can with them. Sometimes it is great but once I tried picking up a big rock and I got dizzy and passed out. Getting old sucks !
images

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
*** Before the virus I used to go to the Park/lake/woods and do chin ups, dips, and a exercise for the abs when I hang from a bar or tree branch and lift up my legs and hold them up for awhile---I also lifted big rocks and walked with them. Also ran hills there.
What dictatorship was that?

For me it was the opposite. My only lift in spring-summer 2020 was pullups in the park on a tree branch. They had those funny little exercise stations with a sign telling you how to step onto a block, but there was always a group of people on them.

With only running and biking available I went down to 172 by last fall's kickoff, now I am starting Lent @187 and tight pants.

Chase after my 1 yr old granddaughter. Get a good 2 or 3 miles daily chasing her around the house (yes, she can actually run ... started walking a 9 mos).

As for weights, I daily lift my 1.5L bottle of Vodka in 1 hand and 1.5L bottle of gin in the other.

First of all I will be 58 in two weeks----I have an olympic bar (44lbs) at home and 400 lbs worth of weights. I also have dumbells.

This morning I took out my olympic bar and added a 45lb plate to each side and cleaned the weight to my shoulders and did military pressses from there.
After a few sets I did a few sets of bent rows.
Then I did some dumbell curls to keep my veins popping in my arms.
I finished with a max set of pushups.
Now I am going to eat a big slab of baby back ribs that I bbq'd while I worked out.

*** Later to day I am going to run a few miles with loops of downhill and uphill for a GREAT cardio workout !! And after I am done running I will do squats with no weights to keep my thighs and butt from withering away.
*** I am going to finish off with romance with my beautifull wife !!

***We Irish fans need to keep in shape !!! Just like the players !!

****What workouts are you guys doing !! I like to learn !!
Go Irish !! Sink Navy !!
And don't forget to take a lithium pill between reps

And if you are over 30 and have not purchased a Percussion massager, Thera Gun, knock off yet - do that today. I use mine when I get up in the am to loosen my back up, pre work out, post work out and anytime I have been sitting in my chair at my desk for too long. It has been a difference maker in how my body feels day to day.

And if you are over 30 and have not purchased a Percussion massager, Thera Gun, knock off yet - do that today. I use mine when I get up in the am to loosen my back up, pre work out, post work out and anytime I have been sitting in my chair at my desk for too long. It has been a difference maker in how my body feels day to day.
Just got one. Spent about $500. Still trying to figure out how best to use it. Is it comfortable hitting spots on your back?

TXND....I’ve had ten surgeries on my back over the past twenty years, and never had a surgeon or physical therapist mention this. Did some limited research, and most support your view, and so just ordered one off Amazon. Looking forward to giving this a try. Thanks for sharing.

I work my lower back at length, hit spots on my elbow where I still have tendinitis and hit quads and hamstrings depending on what muscle group I just worked. The more pain when I am using the massager, the less pain after.

Getting old? You're only nearing 58. Me, I'm in my mid 70s ... and I try to think I'm still young. When weather is acceptable, I try to play golf 3 times a week ... and walk the course with my clubs whenever possible. On other days, do lots of walking, minimal amount of lifting though.

Still can run for short distances though ... after my young granddaughters. Especially during this pandemic ... they need to play games like tag, races, etc.

63. Running is what I have done. <5 min mile, 11.07 2 mile (high school) and 3:34 marathon as an adult. I was thin but developed some muscularity with weight training. I run some now but it is hard to get motivated when races are just virtual races. Need to do some weight work, pushups, but I can't get excited about that.

63. Running is what I have done. <5 min mile, 11.07 2 mile (high school) and 3:34 marathon as an adult. I was thin but developed some muscularity with weight training. I run some now but it is hard to get motivated when races are just virtual races. Need to do some weight work, pushups, but I can't get excited about that.

Never liked running for the sake of running. Had to do track while in HS if I wanted to play football (same coach in both sports). But only running I enjoyed was when playing football, baseball or basketball. When I was younger I did run while playing golf a couple of times ... grew up in a small midwestern town where the local golf courses were uncrowded during the week, so often played 9 holes alone ... hit ball, run to it, hit ball ... best time for 9 holes was a bit under an hour.

Never liked running for the sake of running. Had to do track while in HS if I wanted to play football (same coach in both sports). But only running I enjoyed was when playing football, baseball or basketball. When I was younger I did run while playing golf a couple of times ... grew up in a small midwestern town where the local golf courses were uncrowded during the week, so often played 9 holes alone ... hit ball, run to it, hit ball ... best time for 9 holes was a bit under an hour.
I didn't like running until the Senior Days between the end of finals and graduation. I tried to jog around the lake and couldn't do it. That led to me running laps around the UMich gym (you could hand the work-study desk jockeys a blockbuster video card and they wouldn't even look up) and gradually working my way to a mile. Now I get grumpy if I have to go a week without it.

ADVERTISEMENT