ADVERTISEMENT

What is your CONV-19 workout routine?

BodiTheGreat

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Gold Member
Nov 18, 2018
First of all I will be 58 in two weeks----I have an olympic bar (44lbs) at home and 400 lbs worth of weights. I also have dumbells.

*** Before the virus I used to go to the Park/lake/woods and do chin ups, dips, and a exercise for the abs when I hang from a bar or tree branch and lift up my legs and hold them up for awhile---I also lifted big rocks and walked with them. Also ran hills there.
But it is now closed so I do home workouts.

This morning I took out my olympic bar and added a 45lb plate to each side and cleaned the weight to my shoulders and did military pressses from there.
After a few sets I did a few sets of bent rows.
Then I did some dumbell curls to keep my veins popping in my arms.
I finished with a max set of pushups.
Now I am going to eat a big slab of baby back ribs that I bbq'd while I worked out.

*** Later to day I am going to run a few miles with loops of downhill and uphill for a GREAT cardio workout !! And after I am done running I will do squats with no weights to keep my thighs and butt from withering away.
*** I am going to finish off with romance with my beautifull wife !!

***We Irish fans need to keep in shape !!! Just like the players !!

****What workouts are you guys doing !! I like to learn !!
Go Irish !! Sink Navy !!

Watching muscular men workout on youtube?:D
In all seriousness, I have been running more.... just ran 5 miles this morning.

My gym posts daily workout classes but without weights it makes it hard. I have used full propane bottles, cases of beer, and other random stuff as weights.

I am Jealous you have a bar and some weights.

I was on a good routine and my Achilles tendinitis flared up again. I don’t know if any of you have gone thru it, but it sucks. Basically 4-6 weeks of trying to stay off it as much as possible, and icing it and anti-inflammatories. This is the 2nd time since my 50th two years ago. I’m getting old. So it’s back to riding the bike for a while. The rest consists of crunches and assorted curls. Really pissed about not being able to run though.

Monday - 4.2 mile powerwalk (roughly 59 minutes) & core work on yoga mat
Tuesday - Chest (pushups), shoulders, triceps, biceps (all with dumbells)
Wednesday & Thursday - Same as Monday (but different route on Wednesday, and different core routine)
Friday - Same as Tuesday

A room in my basement is both my new office and my new gym. I don't like it, but better than many alternatives.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
I was on a good routine and my Achilles tendinitis flared up again. I don’t know if any of you have gone thru it, but it sucks. Basically 4-6 weeks of trying to stay off it as much as possible, and icing it and anti-inflammatories. This is the 2nd time since my 50th two years ago. I’m getting old. So it’s back to riding the bike for a while. The rest consists of crunches and assorted curls. Really pissed about not being able to run though.
Tendon stuff is the worst. Takes forever for inflammation to heal because they get so little blood flow. And the problem inevitably seems to come back again and again.

First of all I will be 58 in two weeks----I have an olympic bar (44lbs) at home and 400 lbs worth of weights. I also have dumbells.

*** Before the virus I used to go to the Park/lake/woods and do chin ups, dips, and a exercise for the abs when I hang from a bar or tree branch and lift up my legs and hold them up for awhile---I also lifted big rocks and walked with them. Also ran hills there.
But it is now closed so I do home workouts.

This morning I took out my olympic bar and added a 45lb plate to each side and cleaned the weight to my shoulders and did military pressses from there.
After a few sets I did a few sets of bent rows.
Then I did some dumbell curls to keep my veins popping in my arms.
I finished with a max set of pushups.
Now I am going to eat a big slab of baby back ribs that I bbq'd while I worked out.

*** Later to day I am going to run a few miles with loops of downhill and uphill for a GREAT cardio workout !! And after I am done running I will do squats with no weights to keep my thighs and butt from withering away.
*** I am going to finish off with romance with my beautifull wife !!

***We Irish fans need to keep in shape !!! Just like the players !!

****What workouts are you guys doing !! I like to learn !!
Go Irish !! Sink Navy !!

As I about to turn 60 in a few months -- I do a variety of things, exercse related

Mon, Wed and Fri -- like Bodi, have an Olympic bar and about 250 pounds of weights, and an assortment of dumb bells -- a lot of basic things -- Squats, Bench Press, Shoulder Presses, curls, side arm raises, and mix in about 5 minutes on the elliptical machine for each circuit, with an assortment of push ups, crunches and stretches

Tues and Thursday -- mainly cardio days, getting about 30 minutes on the elliptical machine each day, along with an assortment of stretches, push ups and crunches.

Overall, I try to get about an hour in each day -- I walk away from my home desk and that is my time.

Sat -- when the weather is nice, like to get the bicycle out and get about 20-30 miles in

Reactions: IrishMike409
Been doing some low impact workouts at home, biking, some trail running. I got my ball machine out this weekend and hit some solo tennis with my life size poster of Andre on the other side of course. (that was for you Bodi)! I miss they gym/club and working out with my son. Need a hot tub!!

As I about to turn 60 in a few months -- I do a variety of things, exercse related

Mon, Wed and Fri -- like Bodi, have an Olympic bar and about 250 pounds of weights, and an assortment of dumb bells -- a lot of basic things -- Squats, Bench Press, Shoulder Presses, curls, side arm raises, and mix in about 5 minutes on the elliptical machine for each circuit, with an assortment of push ups, crunches and stretches

Tues and Thursday -- mainly cardio days, getting about 30 minutes on the elliptical machine each day, along with an assortment of stretches, push ups and crunches.

Overall, I try to get about an hour in each day -- I walk away from my home desk and that is my time.

Sat -- when the weather is nice, like to get the bicycle out and get about 20-30 miles in

I used to have a routine where I had a schedule like yours. But the last two years I have had a job that I have to drive and hour to go to. It is 12 hour shift work and I work extra days all the time because my crew has been at three people instead of four for the last eight months. I feel like death when I wake up. The money is great, though. But I can't wait to retire and start living life again.

I run upwards of 70km per week. I also lift 3 days per week just to maintain. My days of needing to be 215lbs are past me and now I'm a much more comfortable (for running) 190lbs. Still lean and athletic, so I'll take it.

Cross country ski in the winter, and I just bought a new kayak for the summer. Golf courses will also open soon enough here and with any luck, baseball season will start at some point.

I'm bumbed about not been able to get to the pool right now though!

I run upwards of 70km per week. I also lift 3 days per week just to maintain. My days of needing to be 215lbs are past me and now I'm a much more comfortable (for running) 190lbs. Still lean and athletic, so I'll take it.

Cross country ski in the winter, and I just bought a new kayak for the summer. Golf courses will also open soon enough here and with any luck, baseball season will start at some point.

What do you do for the tendinitis for the arm that is constantly patting yourself on the back? :p

Let me just say I apologize if I ever offended you. Just in case we ever meet face to face lol.

I’m 38. Basically for the past 10 years I’ve been playing basketball and doing CrossFit 6-7 days a week.

Gyms all closed, so getting after it has been a challenge. Still playing pickup b-ball twice a week at a gym we have the keys to. Get outside to do an individual shooting workout once or twice a week too.

From a Crossfit standpoint, I have a 70lb KB, a 50 lb Dumbell, and a 30 lb slamball. That’s usually enough equipment for me to get creative and really get after it. There is a park w a nice hill near by. I’ll bring me weights to the park- sprint the hill and bang out the weights. Go hard, and I’m done after about 45 minutes. Try to knock out 100 push-ups or so before bed every night. Good way to wrap up the day!

I am 68. I ride a bike 7 days a week first thing in the morning, weather permitting, 5 days at about a half hour and 2 days about an hour. I do a walk/run every afternoon, mostly walking - run for 1 - 1/2 minutes at a good pace then later run a timed 40 (I cheat by getting a running start) . I lift on a machine 2 days a week - bench presses, curls and lat pulls. I do stretches and ab work 3 days a week.

For the tendinitis - My elbows have screamed in pain due to years of lifting heavy from age 18 to 40 and then boxing the last 13, but I have found two things that help. Emu Oil - not kidding, buy it online and slather it on before I go to bed at night, and most recently, the Recoup Cryosphere Ice Massage Roller. I roll the painful area right after working out for two minutes. Both have made all the difference in the world.

Serious question...

Do you think bench pressing 4x12 at 225 is pretty good for a 165 lb dude? That is where I'm at currently. 6 years in the making to get there. When I started I could only do 3x10 145. That's nowhere near NFL combine numbers obviously so I have a long way to go (it's sort of a goal of mine). However, I've been stuck at that weight/rep range for like 9 months. Can't squeak out any more and some weeks I don't hit that pr. Any ideas? I've added weight and lowered reps, but I still can't get over 12 when I rotate back to higher rep ranges.

Reactions: Crable43
That would actually be pretty pretty good in a combine setting for that weight. Look at Edelman or Antonio Brown (I think 180-190 lb range) for reference.

Try adding chains or resistance band training with your bench. Improving your squat and DL will also help your compound press movements.

Reactions: NotreDame du Lac
Went all in on building a platform and power rack from rogue in the garage. Practicing a lot of KB stuff in the meantime, but can't wait to have weight on that bar very soon.
I love Rogue. A great American company. I went the cheaper route and bought a RepFitness power rack the first day of the shut down. It's no Rogue, but it's pretty damn solid for $300. I waited a month for my plates. Sure glad I bought them when I did as nearly everything affordable is sold out online.

Reactions: TheCougar620
Serious question...

Do you think bench pressing 4x12 at 225 is pretty good for a 165 lb dude? That is where I'm at currently. 6 years in the making to get there. When I started I could only do 3x10 145. That's nowhere near NFL combine numbers obviously so I have a long way to go (it's sort of a goal of mine). However, I've been stuck at that weight/rep range for like 9 months. Can't squeak out any more and some weeks I don't hit that pr. Any ideas? I've added weight and lowered reps, but I still can't get over 12 when I rotate back to higher rep ranges.

I think that's excellent. Keep it up!

When I was in a college football weight room, and even now training with a bunch of guys in the military, the way we work through plateaus is a combination of days where you're lifting significantly heavier weight in 2-3 rep max sets. This helps your body adjust neurologically and physiologically to discomfort, lifting more than you are use too. Get as many of those sets in as your body can handle and force it to adjust. Then come back 2-3 days later and do drop sets. Start at 245 lbs, then drop to 225lbs, then drop to 205lbs and 185lbs. Try to get 20-25 reps in each drop set and focus on over training the muscle group... Throw in some weighted pushups (using a weight vest) and training the shit out of your back for stability.

In my experience, you'll break through your plateau's every time.

Reactions: NotreDame du Lac
For the tendinitis - My elbows have screamed in pain due to years of lifting heavy from age 18 to 40 and then boxing the last 13, but I have found two things that help. Emu Oil - not kidding, buy it online and slather it on before I go to bed at night, and most recently, the Recoup Cryosphere Ice Massage Roller. I roll the painful area right after working out for two minutes. Both have made all the difference in the world.
Did you have the tendinitis on the outside (tennis) or the inside (golf)? I got tennis elbow in both arms about 15 years ago from doing tricep reps with the rope. I wear supports when I lift, and I can keep it under control if I'm careful, but I cannot get it to go away.

Did you have the tendinitis on the outside (tennis) or the inside (golf)? I got tennis elbow in both arms about 15 years ago from doing tricep reps with the rope. I wear supports when I lift, and I can keep it under control if I'm careful, but I cannot get it to go away.

Bothers me much more on the inside - I rub the point of the inside elbow for about two minutes and would say it feels close to 100%, or as close as I have been in years. And I had the same pain with using the supports for years benching, tricep extensions, and boxing. Good luck

I try to social distance from the refrigerator,
But I am not having much success!

Reactions: francade
My gym/dojo is in my house, my son are training pretty close to normal, the only real difference is that others have not been training with us.

Well I’m having gym withdraw. I have to admit it’s tough not going to the gym 5-6 days a week. It’s part of my lifestyle. With that said I have a treadmill to get my cardio in as well as long power walks outside , weather permitting. I was actually looking to purchase some dumbbells but the places I went to were sold out. I was able to buy some exercise bands . It took a few times but i got some decent workouts in using them. Some good tutorials on YouTube. I also go to the oldest best exercise known. Pushups and lots of them. So it’s not like hitting the gym but at least I feel like I am getting a good workout in. I’ll continue to find some creative ways to e exercise. I have always combined cardio with weight training. I feel that’s the best way for me to go. Anyway , that’s about it. I hope you all stay safe and healthy.

Reactions: Kelso86
I hit the bench press today. Four sets of 175lbs doing seven reps in each set. Rest two minutes in between each set. Good chest building routine.

Serious question...

For what position? You’re pounding out 12 reps in a set of 225? Many WR’s at the combine do that on average. Finke put up 7 and Claypool did 19.

I have a garage gym- and I usually do Beachbody programs. P90x, Insanity.

I really think the $100 on the yearly membership is probably the best $100 you could ever spend.
You do not need much space or equipment for most of the workouts and they have like 300 programs.

I’m also a big fan of the Paul Wade books- Convict Conditioning. Dragon Door.

I have read James Radcliffe books on plyometrics and believe it not Marv Marinovich’s books on fitness.

That being said- during this pandemic I have been doing a Herschel Walker type of routine.

Day 1- 1,000 push ups- 50 sets of 20- usually done in one hour. Vary the push-ups

Day 2- 1,000- butt to bench squats- wall squats

Day 3- Kettlebell swings- assisted pull-ups, dips and some bis.

People really do not need commercial gyms.
You work more of your entire body with the body weight basics and engage your entire body.

It’s difficult to explain to a gym meathead that chin-ups are better than curling 45 pound dumbbells.

Keep pumping everyone!

Last edited:
Hell, I get pooped just reading what all you studs are doing. My regular routine is a one mile walk to the gym four days a week, where I use the machines to work my quads and hamstrings, biceps and triceps, chest and lats...and aerobic bicycling for my heart. Takes a little more than an hour, then I walk back home.

Had my second total knee replacement five weeks ago, and doing my stretches and bending and core exercises at home, and walking a mile and a half daily, increasing the distance often. So, the virus and stay at home directives Haven’t affected me all that much. The absence of sports on TV is the biggest inconvenience thus far, so nothing to bitch about. Hats off to all you exercise warriors here. Posts sound a bit egocentric at times, but still impressive as hell.

I have a garage gym- and I usually do Beachbody programs. P90x, Insanity.

I really think the $100 on the yearly membership is probably the best $100 you could ever spend.
You do not need much space or equipment for most of the workouts and they have like 300 programs.

I’m also a big fan of the Paul Wade books- Convict Conditioning. Dragon Door.

I have read James Radcliffe books on plyometrics and believe it not Marv Marinovich’s books on fitness.

That being said- during this pandemic I have been doing a Herschel Walker type of routine.

Day 1- 1,000 push ups- 50 sets of 20- usually done in one hour. Vary the push-ups

Day 2- 1,000- butt to bench squats- wall squats

Day 3- Kettlebell swings- assisted pull-ups, dips and some bis.

People really do not need commercial gyms.
You work more of your entire body with the body weight basics and engage your entire body.

It’s difficult to explain to a gym meathead that chin-ups are better than curling 45 pound dumbbells.

Keep pumping everyone!
Nice post. Agree w a lot. Chin Ups are fantastic.

That said- squat, deadlift, and clean are hands down the best exercises to do. I just bought an Olympic Bar and a bunch of plates for the garage.

ADVERTISEMENT