ADVERTISEMENT

What everyone seems to be missing - especially Freeman

AND Marshall might beat Stanford, that's how God awful Stanford is.

Marshall Recruiting

2022 76th
2021 121st
2020 97th
2019 72nd

It must've been that elite 2019 class that did Freeman in. Or maybe it was their amazing transfer portal kids that helped them lose to the likes of Troy 16-7 and Louisiana 23-13.
Ouch

Ski…I absolutely hate the way ND is playing this season. I would prefer to see a more take charge persona from Freeman on the field, and I would like to see his coaches held to account during games, and I would prefer to see some adjustments in playing personnel. Hell, I would have preferred Freeman with three years as a HC at a lesser program before being given the reins at ND.

That said, we are terribly inexperienced and lack depth at the critical skill positions, both offense and defense. He inherited a weak and inexperienced QB room, an inexperienced RB room besides Tyree, a pathetically weak and inexperienced receiver room, and the same of our defensive backs. I rationalized a really good season on the silly hope that every one of these players would play to their overhyped potential. My bad, and a formula for tons of disappointment as Freeman is learning on the job, something that should never happen at ND.

Not at all confident he’ll be successful, but also not at all pessimistic. I think he deserves three full seasons running the program before arriving at a conclusion. I expect a bumpy ride, and I just hope we all think it was worth it three years in.
Terribly inexperienced? Why were we a preseason #5? We‘ve never had more 5th and 6th year guys on the 2 deep, srs everywhere—inexperienced? 4 guys that were on one or several AA lists and projected as 1st rd draft picks. Inexperienced? A group of guys with over 50 wins the last 5 years. I would love to give Reese and freeman a pass on the qb situation but it was these 2 that publicly stated their feelings we had 2 championship quality qbs. So no need to go to the portal or continue conversations with Slovis or JT Daniels who wanted to come here. The QB problem is a direct outcome of their incompetence. you have to give a guy 3 years if you’ve made the decision to hire him but swarbrick’s hire was beyond lazy

Terribly inexperienced? Why were we a preseason #5? We‘ve never had more 5th and 6th year guys on the 2 deep, srs everywhere—inexperienced? 4 guys that were on one or several AA lists and projected as 1st rd draft picks. Inexperienced? A group of guys with over 50 wins the last 5 years. I would love to give Reese and freeman a pass on the qb situation but it was these 2 that publicly stated their feelings we had 2 championship quality qbs. So no need to go to the portal or continue conversations with Slovis or JT Daniels who wanted to come here. The QB problem is a direct outcome of their incompetence. you have to give a guy 3 years if you’ve made the decision to hire him but swarbrick’s hire was beyond lazy
They're both average at best

Your raising other examples that have nothing to do with my describing our critical skill positions as inexperienced. The snap count for our QB room and receivers (excluding our TE) shows an unbelievable level of inexperience. I agree with your point regarding Rees and Freeman’s insistence that we had all the skill and leadership attributes needed already in our QB room. Their praise for both Buchner and Pyne early on read more like public statements to build confidence, more than honest assessments; but I opted to believe the later. Coach speak is one thing, coach decisions are another, and neither deserve a pass on their decision to ignore the portal; but I’ll still withhold judgment on the wisdom of Freeman’s hire until season three.

ADVERTISEMENT