ADVERTISEMENT

What does this say...

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
The one and only player who looked like they belonged on that field against Clemson was....

Alohi Gilman.

A player that wasn't even BK's....a damn Navy transfer.

Our best player on that awful afternoon was a transfer to our program.

I don't know what that says but it seriously says something.

Reactions: Leahylads
The one and only player who looked like they belonged on that field against Clemson was....

Alohi Gilman.

Says nothing to me because I totally disagree. No surprise there. The single biggest difference in the game was the performance from the QB position by each respective team. Switch them ND wins. It really was that simple. Book was abyssmal. Looked timid and like the moment was way too big for him. He left so many plays on the field because of his impatience and happy feet. Play a good defense, you're going to get hit. That's how it works. He never gave it a chance. I would have played someone else the whole 2nd half.

Alohi Gilman.

Says he was a great find andhe played well?

Says nothing to me because I totally disagree. No surprise there. The single biggest difference in the game was the performance from the QB position by each respective team. Switch them ND wins. It really was that simple. Book was abyssmal. Looked timid and like the moment was way too big for him. He left so many plays on the field because of his impatience and happy feet. Play a good defense, you're going to get hit. That's how it works. He never gave it a chance. I would have played someone else the whole 2nd half.

I was hoping we'd put Wimbush in in the 2nd half, when it was pretty clear we were doing nothing with Book. After all, Wimbush has a good record, too (beat Michigan), and Clemson's defense hadn't prepared for him, so it could've worked a little.

I disagree. I'd say Dex was the only player who looked like he belonged (if you're picking only one). Only part of the offense to find consistent success.

I don't want to put down gilmans game because he played like a maniac and made some big plays. But he was burned badly when Clemson isolated him. You could argue several other defenders looked the part too. Love, Coney, and okwara come to mind immediately.

I have concerns about the game plan and consistently falling on their face in any big game and especially those with a month to prepare. But gilmans play doesn't prove anything.

Alohi Gilman.

12-1!

I was hoping we'd put Wimbush in in the 2nd half, when it was pretty clear we were doing nothing with Book. After all, Wimbush has a good record, too (beat Michigan), and Clemson's defense hadn't prepared for him, so it could've worked a little.

Think, why would Kelly not play BW.
Reasons?

Reactions: rgc7
Yep....
Problem is that 1 was an embarrassment.

Every team can have a hiccup at any time...

But it's absolutely zero coincidence that BK in three of his biggest games that he's ever coached in...
12 title game..
15 fiesta...
18 cotton...

The product display has all been nearly identical.

These aren't the looking ahead to next week's game and we got upset...no no no..

These games have nearly a month to prepare and gameplan for.

Alohi Gilman.

"I don't know what that says but it serisouly says something".

You're not making any sense.

Reactions: notredamerises23

Alohi Gilman.

Gilman is 5* talent. He was grossly missed in recruiting.

Reactions: Straight-like-that
Yep....

But it's absolutely zero coincidence that BK in three of his biggest games that he's ever coached in...
12 title game..
15 fiesta...
18 cotton...

These aren't the looking ahead to next week's game and we got upset...no no no..

Ll
Yep....

12 title game..
15 fiesta...
18 cotton...

I think the solution is for you to hold your breath while stomping your feet.

Yep....

12 title game..
15 fiesta...
18 cotton...

There was no problem with the game plan except that the ND Qb left a ton of plays on the field. Too impatient and squirrelly.

I disagree. I'd say Dex was the only player who looked like he belonged (if you're picking only one). Only part of the offense to find consistent success.

I don't want to put down gilmans game because he played like a maniac and made some big plays. But he was burned badly when Clemson isolated him. You could argue several other defenders looked the part too. Love, Coney, and okwara come to mind immediately.

I have concerns about the game plan and consistently falling on their face in any big game and especially those with a month to prepare. But gilmans play doesn't prove anything.

I agree there were other players on that field that day that looked like they belong. I don't know about the "only" player. Although on national TV it looked like it was Gilman's fault on the seam invert 2 x 2 play to boundary, it was a busted call that was not played right. That was not his responsibility. It was a cover 2 switch, with the BC or Boundary Corner help over the top. The buck had the flats, the curl was Gilman's and the deep was the boundary corner who happened to be the back up to Love. Who had limited to no reps through the week. If you are not the same page of the call, that kind of play happens. Clemson did not isolate Gilman on that play. I say the (Boundary Corner) BC did not execute the switch.

I think the Defensive Coordinator should of called a regular cover 2 disguising it and switch. Bad call for the DC for the personnel they were playing.

I agree there were other players on that field that day that looked like they belong. I don't know about the "only" player. Although on national TV it looked like it was Gilman's fault on the seam invert 2 x 2 play to boundary, it was a busted call that was not played right. That was not his responsibility. It was a cover 2 switch, with the BC or Boundary Corner help over the top. The buck had the flats, the curl was Gilman's and the deep was the boundary corner who happened to be the back up to Love. Who had limited to no reps through the week. If you are not the same page of the call, that kind of play happens. Clemson did not isolate Gilman on that play. I say the (Boundary Corner) BC did not execute the switch.

I think the Defensive Coordinator should of called a regular cover 2 disguising it and switch. Bad call for the DC for the personnel they were playing.
We can dissect that shit all day long. Your call may have differed from mine, and Lea differed from both of us.

It was 1:44 seconds to go in the half.

Ball on our 42 yard line.

3rd and 14 the down and distance.

That play really summarizes the entire game.

Clemson one step ahead of our coaches.

Gilman was biting hard. The coaches knew that. So it was pretty simple. Send the slot guy on a fly route and he'll get behind the defense.

The worst part was not being able to get a first down or two with 1:44 to go.

Our anemic offense couldnt do anything and we hand the ball right back to Clemson and they score again before the half.

16-3 sucks but 23-3 at half was demoralizing.

The drop off from our starters to reserves is nowhere close to being elite.

That's not a star recruiting thing but rather a practice thing.

BK has always shown his backups are never ready if called upon.

We can dissect that shit all day long. Your call may have differed from mine, and Lea differed from both of us.

Gilman was biting hard. The coaches knew that. So it was pretty simple. Send the slot guy on a fly route and he'll get behind the defense.

Our anemic offense couldnt do anything and we hand the ball right back to Clemson and they score again before the half.

and another opportunity to take a cheap shot at the current COY.

if backups are not "ready " as you ridiculously claim is that not on the individual position coaches ? you really don't have a clue on how things work do you ?

Gilman biting hard is on Gilman. kind of like Zibby on 4th and forever against USC with the game on the line.

Reactions: Kelso86

Alohi Gilman.

it says you don't know squat as usual.

Reactions: Kelso86
if backups are not "ready " as you ridiculously claim is that not on the individual position coaches ? you really don't have a clue on how things work do you ?
Dear narcissist....
Are the positional coaches teleported into their positions on the staff or is Brian Kelly allowed to hire those people by his own accord?

Do the positional coaches dictate to BK the practice schedule breakdown and time dedicated to the many different facets of practice?

Maybe that's how they did things where you cut your football teeth but in the real world the head coach in college is at the top of the program mountain. Structure, recruiting, attitude, emotion, style of play, etc are all an extension of what the HC wants. Does the HC blindly make a coordinator change or do you think he might discuss the style of offense or defense the new coordinator plans to run.
Do you think the HC just goes with whomever the aliens teleport into the positional coaching roles or might he and the coordinator like to discuss some candidates before the positions are filled?

It's not surprising that you think the backups under BK are READY to play and contribute at a high level.

I've met many real AD's over the years and have never in my life come across one that speaks to the public like you do.

If someone actually was an AD (outside of perhaps Yellowknife in the northwest territory) and spoke like you do they'd never admit to being one in fear of embarrassing their employer.

Then again I'm thinking even the school board of the Knife wouldn't be too proud of an AD with your PR skills.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
100% agree

There was no problem with the game plan except that the ND Qb left a ton of plays on the field. Too impatient and squirrelly.
Game plan fine with, but once off script in the 2nd quarter, Long was clueless. It makes me feel like it was 100% long that dictated switching to Book because Long has no clue how to call a dual theat QB game. I can't get over not having packages often and early with Wimbush and or Book and Wimbush together.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Dear narcissist....
Are the positional coaches teleported into their positions on the staff or is Brian Kelly allowed to hire those people by his own accord?

Do the positional coaches dictate to BK the practice schedule breakdown and time dedicated to the many different facets of practice?

Maybe that's how they did things where you cut your football teeth but in the real world the head coach in college is at the top of the program mountain. Structure, recruiting, attitude, emotion, style of play, etc are all an extension of what the HC wants. Does the HC blindly make a coordinator change or do you think he might discuss the style of offense or defense the new coordinator plans to run.
Do you think the HC just goes with whomever the aliens teleport into the positional coaching roles or might he and the coordinator like to discuss some candidates before the positions are filled?

It's not surprising that you think the backups under BK are READY to play and contribute at a high level.

I've met many real AD's over the years and have never in my life come across one that speaks to the public like you do.

If someone actually was an AD (outside of perhaps Yellowknife in the northwest territory) and spoke like you do they'd never admit to being one in fear of embarrassing their employer.

Then again I'm thinking even the school board of the Knife wouldn't be too proud of an AD with your PR skills.
some folks will never get it or choose to want to. your equating performance with preparedness as if it they are one and the same. that's so dumb even for you the epitome of a hindsighter.

Game plan fine with, but once off script in the 2nd quarter, Long was clueless. It makes me feel like it was 100% long that dictated switching to Book because Long has no clue how to call a dual theat QB game. I can't get over not having packages often and early with Wimbush and or Book and Wimbush together.
i would have gone to Wimbush to start the 2nd half.

Why with Wimbush was our scripted plays to start a game executed flawlessly but with Book we crapped the bed most first half. With Wimbush and a lead long was clueless and second halves were awful, with book, long/kelly made great half time adjustments and played great in the second halves. Head scratchers all season despite going 12-1.

ND never played two halves good offensively the entire season. Scary.

No offense to Gilman, but he did not play a good game.

FWIW,
A lot of ND players belonged on that field and played well.
Gilman set a New Year's 6 bowl record with 18 tackles, and they weren't all the 8-12 yards-down-the-field kind. He was making plays at the line of scrimmage. Yes, he got beat badly on one play and he might have been iffy on a couple of others, but that doesn't negate all the great things he did that day. Every DB will get beat at some point. Giving up one TD doesn't mean he played a bad game.

Gilman set a New Year's 6 bowl record with 18 tackles, and they weren't all the 8-12 yards-down-the-field kind. He was making plays at the line of scrimmage. Yes, he got beat badly on one play and he might have been iffy on a couple of others, but that doesn't negate all the great things he did that day. Every DB will get beat at some point. Giving up one TD doesn't mean he played a bad game.
I agree. The defensive unit did a good job mostly the entire season. The element I think is love that the players have and some degree of care for Clark Lea the DC. I can't say that about the OC and his unit.

BTW-Gilman although it appears that he got beat on the one seam route play ....it was a bust on the coverage. It was not his responsibility. I think the call was skeptical to begin with particularly when you are using a 2nd backup DB to replace Love. It was not a cover 1 that most people think it was a man-on man-call that the WR from Clemson made a TD on. It was a zone coverage cover 2 switch.

I think the call was meant for a down in distance to take away both flat and curl. Gilman's responsibility was the curl while the seem route vertical deep was the backup DB-corner. He man-turned instead of zone-turned and took his eyes off from the coverage call. More details than you want but because based on film and talking to reliable sources, that is what happen. Gilman would never allow a WR run up the seam without getting his hands on him to reroute. He did that all season to other players. Why would he not do that on that play. He played it like he was instructed which is the elevate the seam to his assigned area while the over top deep half is played by the backup corner. Overall, I think Gilman is a hammer. He makes 18 tackles with a pinch nerve throughout the game. He doesn't want to lose. Major competitor. They need more players like that. The 4 to 5 star Alabama DB's was not making plays like Gilman was vs Clemson.

That is why I don't put too much emphasis in 4 to 5 star players as most people have done on this forum. Some 2, 3 and no star athletes are competitors and can ball just like the "hype" star players. There are a lot of people on this forum that believe getting 5 star athletes is the answer. While I agree there is need to get good talent, there are other variables to compete on a high level at ND or at a CFP team. I think it's the following:

1. Find quality and talented coaches that care and love his players and the players feel it and want to go to war or battle for those coaches.
2. Find quality and talented players (3 to 5 stars or no stars, i.e. Gilman) that hate to lose and want to win all the time.
3. Find a scheme that allows these players to buy in.

It is my opinion that Dabo at Clemson was able to do all three.

Reactions: Bumpdaddy

You are right on some points. But because I know what was the call on that very play, I know that the OC for Clemson out played the DC on ND. It was a perfect call for Clemson that took advantage of the bad call that ND made on that TD.

On previous film #5 and #8 are Wide outs. They hardly play on the same side. They use them for deep threats. They happen to be on the short boundary side together. They were inverted as well where the slot WR was on the LOS and the wide out was off the line. ND that invert with #13. . Which is #13 renfrow. The coverage call that they used was for #13 where they like to go an option route WR on that down and distance.

Gilman was not bitting hard on that play. He was instructed to walk down from his 12 yards and elevate the slot WR in the seam to the curl and low hip the WR knowing that the call has an over the top help by the boundary corner who was suppose to get deep half on the boundary side. It was a cover 2 switch. Where Gilman was responsible for the curl of the #2 WR in the slot. While Donte Vaughn's responsibility was the deep half from hash to the sideline.

If it was cover 1, Gilman would of played it differently. The slot WR in cover 1 would of gotten rerouted in the seam. He did that over the entire season with other teams. Since it was a zone call which was cover 2 switch, he played it how he was instructed as a curl player with help over the top from the boundary corner. The boundary corner did not execute the call.

I don't think it was the best call but that was a bust play converting it for a TD. To me, it's a coaching mistake.

Yeah go ahead and blame the players when things go wrong, the coaches clearly had nothing to do with the Clemson performance. o_O Book didn't play well so he definitely deserves some blame. That being said I have to ask, was Book the QB in 2015 when we got stomped in the Fiesta Bowl? Was he the QB in 2012 when we got embarrassed by Alabama?

One common denominator staring everyone in the face, Brian Kelly. His inability to develop a QB is his own fault, he's been at Notre Dame for 9 years. His teams look scared to death in big games, which shows an inability to motivate and groom his players for big moments. That's on him. He's getting paid millions, stop blaming the players for Kelly's and Long's ineptitude offensively. Book didn't play well but ultimately the blame falls at the coaches feet, especially when Brian Kelly is the one that recruited/developed him and named him starter vs Clemson.

Yeah go ahead and blame the players when things go wrong, the coaches clearly had nothing to do with the Clemson performance. o_O Book didn't play well so he definitely deserves some blame. That being said I have to ask, was Book the QB in 2015 when we got stomped in the Fiesta Bowl? Was he the QB in 2012 when we got embarrassed by Alabama?

One common denominator staring everyone in the face, Brian Kelly. His inability to develop a QB is his own fault, he's been at Notre Dame for 9 years. His teams look scared to death in big games, which shows an inability to motivate and groom his players for big moments. That's on him. He's getting paid millions, stop blaming the players for Kelly's and Long's ineptitude offensively. Book didn't play well but ultimately the blame falls at the coaches feet, especially when Brian Kelly is the one that recruited/developed him and named him starter vs Clemson.
plenty of blame to go around. the ridiculous assertion that the team wasn't "prepared" is silly. basing those opinions on performance is nothing more than uneducated hindsight. in my opinion the biggest issue ND had in that game was the play from the QB position. nothing wrong with the game plan. plenty of plays were there to be made . they weren't.

two big games, bama in 2012 and Clemson recently . Both opponents were significantly better.

two big games, bama in 2012 and Clemson recently . Both opponents were significantly better.
My point is that you're blaming just the players for all these performances. If the coaches aren't responsible for how their players perform, then what is Notre Dame paying them for?

plenty of blame to go around. the ridiculous assertion that the team wasn't "prepared" is silly. basing those opinions on performance is nothing more than uneducated hindsight. in my opinion the biggest issue ND had in that game was the play from the QB position. nothing wrong with the game plan. plenty of plays were there to be made . they weren't.
Uneducated hindsight? I watched the game, our team looked robotic out there. The play calling was also pedestrian and abysmal. Down 9-3 in Clemson's territory on 3rd and 8, we decide to run a dive right against the best defensive front in the country. Gain nothing, have to punt.

We also never use the middle of the field, we run stupid trick plays in the worst situations imaginable, and ultimately the offense looked completely out of sorts.

To any unbiased eye the coaches are every bit responsible for how their players perform. It has nothing to do with "uneducated hindsight." Quit acting all high and mighty and start holding the coaches responsible for how the players, THAT THEY RECRUITED AND COACHED, perform in big games.

Uneducated hindsight? I watched the game, our team looked robotic out there. The play calling was also pedestrian and abysmal. Down 9-3 in Clemson's territory on 3rd and 8, we decide to run a dive right against the best defensive front in the country. Gain nothing, have to punt.

We also never use the middle of the field, we run stupid trick plays in the worst situations imaginable, and ultimately the offense looked completely out of sorts.

To any unbiased eye the coaches are every bit responsible for how their players perform. It has nothing to do with "uneducated hindsight." Quit acting all high and mighty and start holding the coaches responsible for how the players, THAT THEY RECRUITED AND COACHED, perform in big games.
You should follow Purdue.

You should follow Purdue.
6-7 Purdue? What the hell are you talking about? Notre Dame is miles ahead of Purdue, Purdue will never be Notre Dame everyone knows that.

Is that Notre Dame's only goal now, to be better than Purdue?

And I don't care if they're better or not, you score more than 3 points after a month of preparing. The result was embarrassing, o well though as long as you're satisfied.

6-7 Purdue? What the hell are you talking about? Notre Dame is miles ahead of Purdue, Purdue will never be Notre Dame everyone knows that.

Is that Notre Dame's only goal now, to be better than Purdue?
All you do is bitch. It was a great season. You and 88 should start your own bitch board.

And I don't care if they're better or not, you score more than 3 points after a month of preparing. The result was embarrassing, o well though as long as you're satisfied.
Who's satisfied ? I'd like to see them win as much as anyone. Did I expect them to score only 3 points ? No. I didn't expect the QB to easily have his worst game of the season either. It's football. Im over it, not sure why others aren't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT