ADVERTISEMENT

What a difference a QB makes

I was st the game, super happy, but this was the worst defense we’ll face all year. Book had absolutely all day. He’s clearly better at the short quick passing game, so if long can’t adjust his offense to a specific qb then book is clearly the best choice for longs offense. They better utilize wimbush talents somehow. Can’t keep that good of an athlete and player that can sling it 70 yards completely on the bench. I’d like to see him work into the Avery Davis role some, Davis doesn’t impress in person.

Chase,

Yesterday you were trying to convince me that ND hasn't recruited close to well enough to be in any playoff conversation. What changed overnight?

If anything isn't Book's play today further proof of what I was saying relative to ND's best chance to compete being quality recruiting across the board, coupled with high end quarterback play, similar to a team like Oklahoma?

And for the record, as well as Book played today, I'll temper by expectations of this offense until after next week's game against Stanford when their defensive line stalemates ND up front (as they usually do). Book's pocket was extremely clean today, I'm curious to see what happens next week when Stanford plays tight coverage and makes Book hang out in the pocket and try to beat them deep. Wake Forest was forced to play deep zone coverage all day because they have had 1000 balls thrown over their head this year. That played right into Book's strengths with the short and intermediate passing game. They'll face a much better quarterback next week in Costello and they'll the Cardinal will play out of their mind (because they always do against ND) along the defensive line.

Last edited:
Chase,

Yesterday you were trying to convince me that ND hasn't recruited close to well enough to be in any playoff conversation. What changed overnight?

If anything isn't Book's play today further proof of what I was saying relative to ND's best chance to compete being quality recruiting across the board, coupled with high end quarterback play, similar to a team like Oklahoma?

And for the record, as well as Book played today, I'll temper by expectations of this offense until after next week's game against Stanford when their defensive line stalemates ND up front (as they usually do). Book's pocket was extremely clean today, I'm curious to see what happens next week when Stanford plays tight coverage and makes Book hang out in the pocket and try to beat them deep. Wake Forest was forced to play deep zone coverage all day because they have had 1000 balls thrown over their head this year. That played right into Book's strengths with the short and intermediate passing game. They'll face a much better quarterback next week in Costello and they'll the Cardinal will play out of their mind (because they always do against ND) along the defensive line.
I’m excited but not too excited until I see next week. Book had allllllllll day. Offensive line gets game ball imho, he got hit once behind the line of scrimmage.

Chase,

If i had to put my mortgage on it, ND loses a few games down the stretch and misses the playoff. There are simply too many other programs with rosters better equipped to prevail the next 8+ games and get more playoff committee votes.

Now as a fan of the program, ND is 4-0 right now, and despite not being one of the best 4 teams in the country, if balls bounce their way, and the 2 deep can stay healthy, and the rest of the schedule continues to look beatable, etc. then ND looks like a team in the playoff discussion down the stretch.

Also as a fan, i want ND to be the former instead of the latter (a team i can put my mortgage on making the playoff).

Essentially ND needs a roster so well stacked that they head into the season as a favorite for the playoff instead of being the latter (the Cinderella program if you will). And in order for ND to be a favorite instead of a long-shot they need to have a significantly more talented roster.

This is the best way i can explain the distinction.

Last edited:
If i had to put my mortgage on it, ND loses a few games down the stretch and misses the playoff. There are simply too many other programs with rosters better equipped to prevail the next 8+ games and get more playoff committee votes.

Now as a fan of the program, ND is 4-0 right now, and despite not being one of the best 4 teams in the country, if balls bounce their way, and the 2 deep can stay healthy, and the rest of the schedule continues to look beatable, etc. then ND looks like a team in the playoff discussion down the stretch.

Prior to this week, when ND was struggling to move the ball vs Ball St & Vanderbilt, it was hard to believe this team had any shot whatsoever at the postseason. But after Ian Book's performance, and after ND produced a 30+ point differential vs Wake Forest, and after beating the spread by 20+ points on the road things are looking up.

Also as a fan, i want ND to be the former instead of the latter (a team i can put my mortgage on making the playoff).

Essentially ND needs a roster so well stacked that they head into the season as a favorite for the playoff instead of being the latter (the Cinderella program if you will). And in order for ND to be a favorite instead of a long-shot they need to have a significantly more talented roster.

How big is that mortgage on that trailer?
3 star Ian Book!

Kelly praised Wimbush for being the guy that got us the Michigan win when other players (Armstrong, Jones) weren't ready yet. Funny how Wimbush has been so good on first drives, first quarters. I'm a big Book fan -- I was convinced after LSU -- but I wouldn't mind seeing Wimbush come out in the first series against Stanford. (Of course, if people start to boo and stuff that would not be a good thing.) Kelly nailed it this week.

I was st the game, super happy, but this was the worst defense we’ll face all year. Book had absolutely all day. He’s clearly better at the short quick passing game, so if long can’t adjust his offense to a specific qb then book is clearly the best choice for longs offense. They better utilize wimbush talents somehow. Can’t keep that good of an athlete and player that can sling it 70 yards completely on the bench. I’d like to see him work into the Avery Davis role some, Davis doesn’t impress in person.

It’s not the worst D we will face this year.
We have already faced a worse one & will face two more.

Book played a great game today. It'll get tougher next week, but I think this team will be up to the challenge.

Reactions: GoldCountryND
It’s not the worst D we will face this year.
We have already faced a worse one & will face two more.
Who was worse? Total Defense...Michigan 12th, Vandy 28th, Ball State 84th, WF 107th. WF is also clearly the worse passing defense the Irish have faced so far and maybe all season. 111th Pass Defense. That's your 2018 Deacons.

It’s amazing how awful our first 3 offensive possessions were yet we dominated.... honestly we were an awful roughing the passer and dumb Coleman penalty away from being up about 49-6

Chase,

In your opinion which QB gives the Irish the best chance vs Stanford?

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-fourteen-teams-win-college-football-playoff

What a cindarella run by the Irish.. this guy Chase has been AWOL for years.. Quinn was a bonafide 5-star, top 25 player too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT