ADVERTISEMENT

Well the bs late hit on Book was the difference....

Yes, that’s a 5 yard penalty and a rekick which could have had different results leading to a possible loss.

What the F was he thinking and why weren’t the players told where to position themselves before they even took the field.

The football universe knew that an onside kick was coming

The Kelly plan to keep the game competitive almost backfired bigtime!

Yes, have the most corrupt part of college football more involved!

Yes, that’s a 5 yard penalty and a rekick which could have had different results leading to a possible loss.

What the F was he thinking and why weren’t the players told where to position themselves before they even took the field.

Imaginations run wild ... 5 yard penalty followed by SC onside kick recovery followed by a 1 minute drive followed by a tying FG followed by an SC OT win ... sure. We lucked out there, phew.

Reactions: echowaker
The Kelly plan to keep the game competitive almost backfired bigtime!

Those 3 down linemen had to be exhausted.

Overtime would not have favored us.

Failure to adjust almost cost us the game

Imaginations run wild ... 5 yard penalty followed by SC onside kick recovery followed by a 1 minute drive followed by a tying FG followed by an SC OT win ... sure. We lucked out there, phew.

Did you watch the game.

5 yard penalty = kicking from the 40
Onside kick must travel 10 yards.
Recovery between the 50 and ND 40
1 minute to gain 20 to 30 yards against a 3 man rush.
= 27 or 37 yard FG and OT, if not a TD

Are you telling us, with that huge momentum swing and gassed, ineffective DLinemen that ND would win in overtime.

geez! how the hell do you get out coached by Helton?

Simple, you’re so set in your ways, so convinced that you’ve dialed up the right plan that you FAIL to ADJUST. !

Last edited:

The weakest link in our coaching has been Polian and special teams. How many times have you seen Kelly giving him an earful either before or after a kickoff or punt? I'd bet dollars to donuts that Polian had screwed up.

Reactions: Scots-Irishballa
The weakest link in our coaching has been Polian and special teams. How many times have you seen Kelly giving him an earful either before or after a kickoff or punt? I'd bet dollars to donuts that Polian had screwed up.
Wasn’t Kelly heaping praise on him after the game?

geez! how the hell do you get out coached by Helton?
Helton ad
Did you watch the game.

5 yard penalty = kicking from the 40
Onside kick must travel 10 yards.
Recovery between the 50 and ND 40
1 minute to gain 20 to 30 yards against a 3 man rush.
= 27 or 37 yard FG and OT, if not a TD

Are you telling us, with that huge momentum swing and gassed, ineffective DLinemen that ND would win in overtime.
i was there dude ... the game was over when Book scored. BTW we won. Paranoia will destroy ya.

Reactions: DublinND
Kelly plays the percentages, and he was comfortable with the ten point lead with four minutes left on the clock. Our defense looked really tired out there, especially the three DL, and we really made it pretty easy for them to march down the field and score. The percentages were overwhelmingly against a TD and FG in that amount of time, and he was right. Not a pretty sight from a ND fan perspective, but a big W nonetheless.

Reactions: Riverside Irish
Not sure if anyone watched UGA game, there was a gift at the end that tied it...ended up on the bad side for UGA (unfortunately), but I'm convinced there is some bias in refs. I like the idea of the NCAA providing all ref's. One pay grade, one performance grade, one system....too many ties to getting bonus money if your conf makes it somewhere.

One thing I find humorous is how the complaint used to be, "Run the damned ball!" Well, we ran the ball pretty damned well.

Generally, I think people who post here expect level of precision that is rarely seen in any walk of life. People continually talk down the level of the competition, complain about every decision our coaches make, and somehow believe we have the same level of talent as Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State.

It's a really a losing formula.

Not sure if anyone watched UGA game, there was a gift at the end that tied it...ended up on the bad side for UGA (unfortunately), but I'm convinced there is some bias in refs. I like the idea of the NCAA providing all ref's. One pay grade, one performance grade, one system....too many ties to getting bonus money if your conf makes it somewhere.

Are you referring to the defensive holding when the ball was thrown out of the endzone? When I saw that play, I started rooting for SC. I also loved how the announcer tried to justify it by saying the incidental grab of jersey prevented the receiver from getting in position to make the catch. Yeah, right.

Helton didn't out coach anyone. His young QB was outstanding.

He should not have been given all day back there. Making a QB look better than he is is no cause for celebration or even finding comfort.

LSU would have put up 60 on ND with that game plan!

He should not have been given all day back there. Making a QB look better than he is is no cause for celebration or even finding comfort.

LSU would have put up 60 on ND with that game plan!
I agree with this. Lea obviously was concerned about our ability to defend the pass, but I personally hated the game plan, especially in the second half, and thought we effectively stopped their passing attack during the first half with pressure on the QB. The entire second half, the middle of the pocket was wide open for Their QB to step up and run or step up and take his time surveying the field and passing. Giving that much time to a talented QB with elite receivers is asking to be taken apart with precision, but it did prevent the big play with one exception. And that apparently was the game plan, prevent the quick big play threat that the USC receivers present. Prevent defenses in the waning moments of a two score game are hard enough to stomach, but prevent defense for damn near an entire game is sickening, and that’s what last nights game felt like. But when over, I was enjoying some Irish Whiskey and celebrating another W over our biggest rival.

It was a penalty......no BS
I thought it was a borderline call. Not nearly as bad or egregious as the commentators on NBC lamented continually about. Flutie is insufferable. I also thought overall USC in the game was given a very fair shake from the PAC 12 officials. Only 2 flagged penalties on USC . Lots [ too much] offensive holding by their USC O Line was completely let go last night. I also thought there were several sideline hits by USC that were pretty close to unnecessary roughness/ late hits. Though the call on Book came at the most critical point in game

All it would have meant is a second kick, much ado about nothing.

A second kick from the 40 with potential recovery between mid-field and ND’s 40 and you think that’s “much ado about nothing”.

If USC had recovered on ND’s 40 you wouldn’t have been worried ?

We are who we thought we are. Without the late hit gift we lose in OT.

ND is a team with average coaching who almost lost to a Clay Helton coached team at home. Not an easy feat as Clay Helton is awful.

Clark Lea’s defensive scheme was laughable. Even a freshman QB figured it eventually and carved us apart in the 2nd half along with Stepp taking advantage of the retarded three man defensive lineman front.

Long is equally bad.

And of course we know about Kelly’s shortcomings.

We’ll lose one more regular season game and maybe win a bowl game and the board boobs will celebrate it as an amazing achievement while comparing Kelly to Belichick minus the 11 Super Bowl appearances.
The biggest issue I have with this post is “average coaching”.

Average coaches do not go 12-0 twice at ND and once at Cincinnati.

All it would have meant is a second kick, much ado about nothing.
The handwringing on here is breathtaking even after beating USC. You'd think the sky is falling. 3rd in a row over USC and 4th out of last 5 games. Ranked 9 th in country going into a bye week before Michigan with record of 5-1 . And this is causing cause for " grave concern " on this board with Kelly is lousy coach and he " ALMOST " cost us the game. Almost doesn't count in sports. Its either a W or a L . Kelly, Long , Lea et al got the W last night in a Rivalry game against an opponent with elite talent and future NFL players at the skill positions. An opponent who played their hearts out and showed grit and physicality. I agree that sticking with the 3 man D line all game was questionable to me. And I think the Chip Long play calls during the 3rd quarter were too conservative. Why go to Finke and when it was proven all game that USC had no answer for Kmet. ND could have and should have won more comfortably last night. But I'll take wins over USC and Michigan anyway I can get them. We took a verbal on Friday night from a pretty elite 2021 WR from none other than Athens GA. We look well positioned to land additional elite offensive skill talent in that class and in possibly the very near future. Not to mention the 5 star running back commit and 5 star WR commit for this years class. The arrows are all pointing up in all areas finally for the ND football Program.. For the first time in literally a hounds age ND has re-established itself as a bona fide legitimate top 10 football Program. Not just an outlier top 10 ranking but now again as a top 10 PROGRAM. And all a lot of people do on here even after a win over USC is engage in general bitching sessions over this that and the other. I think a more appropriate perspective as a ND fan is to reflect on where we are re. where we have been and where things are trending. Let's try to enjoy this ride bc we're never sure how long it will last.

The handwringing on here is breathtaking even after beating USC. You'd think the sky is falling. 3rd in a row over USC and 4th out of last 5 games. Ranked 9 th in country going into a bye week before Michigan with record of 5-1 . And this is causing cause for " grave concern " on this board with Kelly is lousy coach and he " ALMOST " cost us the game. Almost doesn't count in sports. Its either a W or a L . Kelly, Long , Lea et al got the W last night in a Rivalry game against an opponent with elite talent and future NFL players at the skill positions. An opponent who played their hearts out and showed grit and physicality. I agree that sticking with the 3 man D line all game was questionable to me. And I think the Chip Long play calls during the 3rd quarter were too conservative. Why go to Finke and when it was proven all game that USC had no answer for Kmet. ND could have and should have won more comfortably last night. But I'll take wins over USC and Michigan anyway I can get them. We took a verbal on Friday night from a pretty elite 2021 WR from none other than Athens GA. We look well positioned to land additional elite offensive skill talent in that class and in possibly the very near future. Not to mention the 5 star running back commit and 5 star WR commit for this years class. The arrows are all pointing up in all areas finally for the ND football Program.. For the first time in literally a hounds age ND has re-established itself as a bona fide legitimate top 10 football Program. Not just an outlier top 10 ranking but now again as a top 10 PROGRAM. And all a lot of people do on here even after a win over USC is engage in general bitching sessions over this that and the other. I think a more appropriate perspective as a ND fan is to reflect on where we are re. where we have been and where things are trending. Let's try to enjoy this ride bc we're never sure how long it will last.

not getting the criticism of Long; offense was clutch. Defense was out of sorts with past games, from strategy perspective. ND was playing aggressive attack defense and last night was a complete reversal!

I think we definitely received a gift there. We are not a top 10 team. USC got robbed. There were multiple bad calls against them. Watching LSU and Florida and it’s not even close. Michigan game might be a loss.
Not a top 10 team?

Name 15 teams that you would put ahead of ND.

ND is a team with average coaching who almost lost to a Clay Helton coached team at home. Not an easy feat as Clay Helton is awful.

Clark Lea’s defensive scheme was laughable. Even a freshman QB figured it eventually and carved us apart in the 2nd half along with Stepp taking advantage of the retarded three man defensive lineman front.

Long is equally bad.

We’ll lose one more regular season game and maybe win a bowl game and the board boobs will celebrate it as an amazing achievement while comparing Kelly to Belichick minus the 11 Super Bowl appearances.
RUSHING FOR 300 YARDS WAS THE DIFFERENCE!

As I have thought , for the entirety of Brian Kelly’s tenure..... you need a pure return man to compete at this game at a high level no matter what...... punt and kickoff...... Saban, Dabo an Urban have excelled because they never forgot the fundamentals of football are running the ball, blocking, tackling and special teams...

Long is equally bad.

I guess you didn’t see the face mask they missed shortly before that would have given ND a 1st down anyways? Or the late hit out of bounds? Or the holding on USC’s OL they missed on two long throws?

And I guess you are a predictor if the future since you know how a game will end? LOL

Just face it. ND & BK are 17-2 the last two seasons & are a good football team & you are butt hurt over it.

LOL

Reactions: DublinND
I think we definitely received a gift there. We are not a top 10 team. USC got robbed. There were multiple bad calls against them. Watching LSU and Florida and it’s not even close. Michigan game might be a loss.
Yea like ND’s De were not getting held and there wasn’t a phantom whistle call. Also they missed a late hit on Book on last drive 2nd Quarter but surreeee

not getting the criticism of Long; offense was clutch. Defense was out of sorts with past games, from strategy perspective. ND was playing aggressive attack defense and last night was a complete reversal!

300 plus yards on the ground......

Not many teams lose with that type of production.

Long is equally bad.

Weird.

And here I thought that ND manhandled USC’s defense towards then end of the game, rushing the ball nearly at Will.

Thanks for providing your “alternative facts”.

Lol.

A second kick from the 40 with potential recovery between mid-field and ND’s 40 and you think that’s “much ado about nothing”.

If USC had recovered on ND’s 40 you wouldn’t have been worried ?
The odds of a successful onside kick when it's expected are quite high. Much ado about nothing.

As I have thought , for the entirety of Brian Kelly’s tenure..... you need a pure return man to compete at this game at a high level no matter what...... punt and kickoff...... Saban, Dabo an Urban have excelled because they never forgot the fundamentals of football are running the ball, blocking, tackling and special teams...
Polian isn't on the staff for his teaching ability. No secret there.

Those 3 down linemen had to be exhausted.

Overtime would not have favored us.

Failure to adjust almost cost us the game
You actually think only three guys played those positions last night ? ND substituted liberally all game as they usually do. You should try and pay attention.

The odds of a successful onside kick when it's expected are quite high. Much ado about nothing.

I think the percentage is about 20 %.

So if a doctor told you that if you drank a certain beverage that there was a 20 % chance of you getting cancer and dying, you’d be okay with drinking that beverage ? ? ?

Much ado about nothing or a serious concern ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT