ADVERTISEMENT

Well the bs late hit on Book was the difference....

football1irish

Shakes Down The Thunder
Nov 17, 2002
We are who we thought we are. Without the late hit gift we lose in OT.

ND is a team with average coaching who almost lost to a Clay Helton coached team at home. Not an easy feat as Clay Helton is awful.

Clark Lea’s defensive scheme was laughable. Even a freshman QB figured it eventually and carved us apart in the 2nd half along with Stepp taking advantage of the retarded three man defensive lineman front.

Long is equally bad.

And of course we know about Kelly’s shortcomings.

We’ll lose one more regular season game and maybe win a bowl game and the board boobs will celebrate it as an amazing achievement while comparing Kelly to Belichick minus the 11 Super Bowl appearances.

Last edited:

ND is a team with average coaching who almost lost to a Clay Helton coached team at home. Not an easy feat as Clay Helton is awful.

Clark Lea’s defensive scheme was laughable. Even a freshman QB figured it eventually and carved us apart in the 2nd half along with Stepp taking advantage of the retarded three man defensive lineman front.

Long is equally bad.

We’ll lose one more regular season game and maybe win a bowl game and the board boobs will celebrate it as an amazing achievement while comparing Kelly to Belichick minus the ten 11 Super Bowl appearances.

I am not sure about any of that but it was not a great effort! it goes as a W, but it was not going to impress!

Long is equally bad.

We’ll lose one more regular season game and maybe win a bowl game and the board boobs will celebrate it as an amazing achievement while comparing Kelly to Belichick minus the ten 11 Super Bowl appearances.
It was a penalty......no BS

You are just another idiotic, football ignoramus, bottom feeding dimwit who doesn’t know his rectum from a hole in the ground.

STFU loser. ND just beat USC. Everyone with an IQ above 80 knows a rivalry game is always tough, especially against a team loaded with talent. Average coaching huh? Then have your dumb ass explain how come that average coach is 27-5 over the past 2.5 years??? Not to mention unbeaten at home and currently in The Top 10. #loser

Long is equally bad.

• We’ll lose one more regular season game and maybe win a bowl game and the board boobs will celebrate it as an amazing achievement while comparing Kelly to Belichick minus the ten 11 Super Bowl appearances.

You are just another idiotic, football ignoramus, bottom feeding dimwit who doesn’t know his rectum from a hole in the ground.

STFU loser. ND just beat USC. Everyone with an IQ above 80 knows a rivalry game is always tough, especially against a team loaded with talent. Average coaching huh? Then have your dumb ass explain how come that average coach is 27-5 over the past 2.5 years??? Not to mention unbeaten at home and currently in The Top 10. #loser
Once again the more you post the more you embarrass yourself. I recommend you stay away from your computer until the end of season.

Anyone else left with a bad taste in their mouth? Feel like the D hasn’t looked that bad in years. They’ve been a backbone, especially in the second half.
Hell yes.. bad taste is right. That was god awful. I don’t know what was going on with the defense. SC never even thought of punting. Hell, the punter was up getting a hot dog and coke in the second half. I’m pissed about this performance.

Best the offense has looked all year, Bar none. Coaches made a decision to play soft/prevent D- wouldn’t have minded seeing that 30-40% of the time, not 90%. They took away the Ds strength of attacking and playing aggressively and our greatest strength, the pass rush. The D looked so much better when they blitzed and attached but hey, it worked.. they said were going to give up points today but got the W.

Best the offense has looked all year, Bar none. Coaches made a decision to play soft/prevent D- wouldn’t have minded seeing that 30-40% of the time, not 90%. They took away the Ds strength of attacking and playing aggressively and our greatest strength, the pass rush. The D looked so much better when they blitzed and attached but hey, it worked.. they said were going to give up points today but got the W.
Typical BK apologist. ND deserved to lose this game.

Reactions: football1irish

Yes. Perfectly said.

Agree it was a bad call, but it goes both ways. The missed face mask that puts us in a great spot for a TD, the missed PI turning Claypool, several missed targets on book and a a missed face mask on TJ.

So yea. Feels even.

Last edited:
Usc is a better team this year. Ive been saying that all year.

We're a top 10 team still.

This is getting embarrassing... ND won the damn game.

Why are we not talking about the two blatant facemask penalties that the refs ignored on the same drive?... 30 yards in penalties puts ND on the goal line and that's 7 more points?

Why are we not talking about Michael Young fumbling a kickoff return touchdown vs air, which would have added 4 more points?

Notre Dame got ONE call from the officials the entire night. They didn't miss a single holding penalty on ND though. Called it almost everytime on the edge run.

The officials didn't save Notre Dame. USC got more calls than Notre Dame did. That came down to Notre Dame leaving 11-18 points on the board and some obvious missed penalties by the officials that would have helped.

That game easily could have ended in the 41-44 to 27 range and that late touchdown could have been in garbage time.

People are desperately overreacting to Notre Dame playing their B game against a team that had two weeks to prepare... And Notre Dame still winning.

All teams have ugly wins, and that was ugly. That said, any win against our rival USC is worth celebrating. So, I’m happy we got the W and look forward to our next big test against Michigan, a team many ND fans hate more than USC.

Reactions: Riverside Irish
This is getting embarrassing... ND won the damn game.

Why are we not talking about the two blatant facemask penalties that the refs ignored on the same drive?... 30 yards in penalties puts ND on the goal line and that's 7 more points?

Why are we not talking about Michael Young fumbling a kickoff return touchdown vs air, which would have added 4 more points?

Notre Dame got ONE call from the officials the entire night. They didn't miss a single holding penalty on ND though. Called it almost everytime on the edge run.

The officials didn't save Notre Dame. USC got more calls than Notre Dame did. That came down to Notre Dame leaving 11-18 points on the board and some obvious missed penalties by the officials that would have helped.

That game easily could have ended in the 41-44 to 27 range and that late touchdown could have been in garbage time.

People are desperately overreacting to Notre Dame playing their B game against a team that had two weeks to prepare... And Notre Dame still winning.
Well said ... game got a little too close for comfort but ND did some good things including some hard running by TJJ, some nice pass and catch between 12 and 84 and an explosive play (yes ND does have some athletes). My one complaint was not punting and playing field position when up 14 ... imho it shifted the momentum and gave SC a second wind.

Now the CRYBABIES are bitching when we win. Book was thrown down. It was a penalty in college football but not in Pro football. The announcers gave the pro interpretation. His weight wasn't on Book. Pro rule all you Ill iformed experts. Find another team you 14 CARAT PHONIES. We've been shafted at SC for over 50 years and how quickly you forget. These were Pac 12 referees. SC Committed many holding penalties that weren't called. BTW: Who blew the whistle? I'm surprised you haven't blamed ND for that. ND 30 SC 27. Congratulations Irish. And SC had two weeks to prepare! Three wins in a row over the Trojans!!! When the Irish went 75 yards against SC in the fourth quarter to make it a 3O to 20 game the game was OVER.

I wonder if that performance will cut it against Michigan, at their stadium where they get a +1 td every time. Until tonight I assumed their only chance was to win 10-7.

The objective of football is win the game. WE WON THE DARN GAME DOUBLE D'S!!! Why aren't we talking about Georgia's stunning upset and how it effects our chances to get into the championship playoffs in December? The defensive strategy employed by ND was brilliant tonight. I never thought I see a BK coached team place so much emphasis on the run game. Those "mules" (according to some here) hauled the bacon tonight across the finish line and WE WON THE DARN GAME.

Reactions: tkirish

Long is equally bad.

Stop drunk posting. Great win!

Long is equally bad.

That was clearly a late hit. Flutie is a dope.

well, there was Bush Push , and now the ‘Twelfth Man’ (Kelly)

so now it’s a push! (no pun intended)

Reactions: deadirishpoet
BK is now 7-3 against our biggest rival. How many former ND coaches can claim that one?

and SC is 3-7 (includes the sanction years)
SC is self deprecating by it’s coaching hires.
ND is not the only team beating SC!

did you ever envision SC going 8-11 for a stretch?
Or SC not recruiting at a Top 10 level (not even top 25)
Well, SC administration has work hard to self destruct.

Long is equally bad.

Factor in the missed face mask on Claypool and I call it a wash.

Ok, so maybe the roughing the passer call was questionable. I’ve seen less than that called. If you look at the play, the ball was clearly thrown then there was the hit to Book. Slice it anyway you want, but that is roughing the passer per the rule. 20 years ago it wouldn’t be. It is in today’s game.Now let’s talk about the insane amount of holding by SC that wasn’t called, that clearly affected the game. So you can argue calls one way or the other. As far as the defense, they did what they were asked to do. It was obvious they were trying to keep SC in front of them. Eventually the Trojans figured it out and got rolling. For me the game really turned in SC’s favor when they stopped the 4th and 5 play. That was the momentum change. SC scored right after and all of a sudden they got a spark. In the end the Irish got a tough earned victory. As I said during the the week, the Trojans are very very talented. It is never easy beating them. When it really mattered and the Irish were up against it, they went to good old fashioned power football. The drive that put them up 30 to 20 was a thing of beauty. That , my friends was the difference in getting the win. Great game. Go Irish !!

Reactions: echowaker

You might find it easier to catch more flies with honey than vinegar. Maybe a little anger management is in order.

Ok, so maybe the roughing the passer call was questionable. I’ve seen less than that called. If you look at the play, the ball was clearly thrown then there was the hit to Book. Slice it anyway you want, but that is roughing the passer per the rule. 20 years ago it wouldn’t be. It is in today’s game.Now let’s talk about the insane amount of holding by SC that wasn’t called, that clearly affected the game. So you can argue calls one way or the other. As far as the defense, they did what they were asked to do. It was obvious they were trying to keep SC in front of them. Eventually the Trojans figured it out and got rolling. For me the game really turned in SC’s favor when they stopped the 4th and 5 play. That was the momentum change. SC scored right after and all of a sudden they got a spark. In the end the Irish got a tough earned victory. As I said during the the week, the Trojans are very very talented. It is never easy beating them. When it really mattered and the Irish were up against it, they went to good old fashioned power football. The drive that put them up 30 to 20 was a thing of beauty. That , my friends was the difference in getting the win. Great game. Go Irish !!

I think that was huge too. It really gave USC a lift and was the kind of call that makes me question Kelly.

There has been lots of complaining about our defense, but I think they held USC to 6 points until midway through the third quarter.

I also think the complaints about the offense are exaggerated.

I do think the late hit on USC was a gift (one of our guys decked Clovis on USC's last drive in similar fashion) and I thought Kelly running out on the field during the onside kick was inexcusable. However, I saw several very blatant holds by the USC line when we were rushing three that were somehow missed.

Reactions: tkirish
I think that was huge too. It really gave USC a lift and was the kind of call that makes me question Kelly.

There has been lots of complaining about our defense, but I think they held USC to 6 points until midway through the third quarter.

I also think the complaints about the offense are exaggerated.

I do think the late hit on USC was a gift (one of our guys decked Clovis on USC's last drive in similar fashion) and I thought Kelly running out on the field during the onside kick was inexcusable. However, I saw several very blatant holds by the USC line when we were rushing three that were somehow missed.

ND should have put ‘Buddy Ryan’ type pressure on the SC OL!
They would have caved like a cheap umbrella!

The achilles heel of SC was never exploited!

Time for ND to have refs from a separate (neutral) conference officiate home games.

Reactions: francade
they may have called a penalty on BK on the onsides kick!

Yes, that’s a 5 yard penalty and a rekick which could have had different results leading to a possible loss.

What the F was he thinking and why weren’t the players told where to position themselves before they even took the field.

The football universe knew that an onside kick was coming

ADVERTISEMENT