ADVERTISEMENT

Weight Gains/Changes

iwish

Posts Like A Champion
Feb 1, 2006

Few observations from this:

Jordan Johnson +15 Should translate into a very strong, fast WR and keeps the anticipation high

Michael Mayer +14 Beast

Chris Tyree +9 If he maintains his speed, watch out

Rocco Spindler +20 Already at 315?? This young man is going to get on the field early

Anybody concerned about Buchners weight at 207? Seems a bit thin for the pounding CFB players take?

I think Buchner's a svelte guy. You're not going to see him get all chubby the way some QBs do. I suppose like Book, he's kind of an action hero looking dude. Which is fine, I don't think QBs need to bulk up like that. They're not hitting or getting hit on a regular basis, at least not if the OL is doing their job. They don't need to become pudgy.

Anybody concerned about Buchners weight at 207? Seems a bit thin for the pounding CFB players take?
he's only 6-1/6-2. Ideal weight is probably 215ish, so not far off as a true frosh.

Book hardly got touched. Young oline will be blocking for coan this year, and more seasoned when buchner takes over

Concerned about Mayer losing speed. 14 pounds is a lot of weight to put on.

I can't imagine Spindler at 315 is a good functional weight at his young age.

The site says Buchner only put on 2 pounds. That's nothing to stress about.

Concerned about Mayer losing speed. 14 pounds is a lot of weight to put on.

I can't imagine Spindler at 315 is a good functional weight at his young age.

The site says Buchner only put on 2 pounds. That's nothing to stress about.
Don't worry about spindler. He had good weight distribution coming in and has a good frame. He can actually get a little bigger. He's a big strong dude.

Mayer needs the weight for the next step in his career. Those muscles are going to be his armor in the nfl. For his longevity, weight gain was smart.

Buckner is 6'2. He needs to be up a little more before a full season of starting (because he will drop during the season) but he has time for that. I'd like to see him at least at 210-212 before starting if not 215-220.

“Book hardly got touched”

Lol. Still at it even after he’s gone. He didn’t get touched because he was an elite scrambler & was as elusive as you can get. “Eel-like” was what opponents & their coaches said about him. The o-line benefitted from this as he avoided many for sure sacks.

Lol. Still at it even after he’s gone. He didn’t get touched because he was an elite scrambler & was as elusive as you can get. “Eel-like” was what opponents & their coaches said about him. The o-line benefitted from this as he avoided many for sure sacks.
Could have completed more balls if he had possessed good pocket presence. He was better than the previous year but still had unnecessary happy feet on many occasions. Good scrambler even when it wasn't required.

We do have a good to great OL, who's forte is pass protection, it is fair to say. Even though of course haters are gonna hate.

But you're right, it probably does go both ways, in terms of our low number of sacks allowed.

Book was Great and the Oline was great. Alabama was even greater. Marcus Freeman will make the Irish Great again--dethroning Alabama in 21/22

Reactions: Pennick4

Book could move around the pocket like Aaron Rodgers. It’s a pretty unique skill set. Just can’t throw like Rodgers.

Book bashers- go ahead, start tearing me apart now and start the narrative that I said Book was the next Rodgers.

Book could move around the pocket like Aaron Rodgers. It’s a pretty unique skill set. Just can’t throw like Rodgers.

Book bashers- go ahead, start tearing me apart now and start the narrative that I said Book was the next Rodgers.

Book totally had that one play, I can't remember was it BC? Or Clemson? You know the one I mean, where he was just backpedaling like a pro, like a veritable pro. And threw a TD pass! To Ben Skowranek....

So it's true, he really can move around in the pocket a la Aaron Rodgers. That play was a highlight among many from Book last season.

Book was Great and the Oline was great. Alabama was even greater. Marcus Freeman will make the Irish Great again--dethroning Alabama in 21/22

Yeah Book's pocket eeling was amazing. But Bama was quite capable of reeling him in. I only remember a couple of good scrambles in that game. And virtually none from Clemson II.

“Could have completed more balls if he had possessed good pocket presence. He was better than the previous year but still had unnecessary happy feet on many occasions. Good scrambler even when it wasn't required.”

Maybe so, or maybe the pressure forces a bad throw which happens to many qbs that stay in the pocket too long. But I know this, his ability to avoid pressure was a net positive compared to how many times he left early. His leaving early didn’t necessarily end up in a negative play and a lot of times ended up in a big play. I see some posters’ early evaluations of him were so bad, they just keep doubling down bashing him so their initial evaluations don’t look so dumb. The BBC is a sad bunch.

Reactions: BodiTheGreat
“Could have completed more balls if he had possessed good pocket presence. He was better than the previous year but still had unnecessary happy feet on many occasions. Good scrambler even when it wasn't required.”

Maybe so, or maybe the pressure forces a bad throw which happens to many qbs that stay in the pocket too long. But I know this, his ability to avoid pressure was a net positive compared to how many times he left early. His leaving early didn’t necessarily end up in a negative play and a lot of times ended up in a big play. I see some posters’ early evaluations of him were so bad, they just keep doubling down bashing him so their initial evaluations don’t look so dumb. The BBC is a sad bunch.

Right, that's such a great point. And this goes beyond the full-on hater mentality and whatnot. This critique where Ian Book is always, definitely screwing up whenever he takes off and runs. And the truth is his running and his ability with this legs was such a positive.... These are the halcyon days of rpo and the so-called 'dual threat' QB, and ND most definitely had one in Ian Book. He was an honest to goodness dual threat, even if it is a bit of a nebulous category.

And it was such a genuine part of our offense. On every play seemingly, the potential for Book to get a first down or avoid a sack and manage to still get positive yardage.... it really was part of our offense in a substantial way. And as far as what I would guess was mainly a canard, that myth that Book was such an inadequate reader of defenses, or his arm talent was so substandard, or whatever his shortcoming was, that he left wide open WRs and big pass plays numerous times every game.... that's where you get into more hater territory. You'd have to study the game film to know if there's real truth to that and I bet you there's not much. Not much out of the ordinary compared to other college QBs of his ilk.

Personally I would chalk that part up to him being a good guy, who doesn't want to screw things up for ND now that he's the starting QB. And while it's easy to say for the pundits, it's no so easy when you're down there in the heat of the battle with everything on the line. And the results speak for themselves. Book may well have been a cautious QB, and if he was I salute him for it, because it got us to two playoff appearances. If he wants to take the next step to the NFL, he may well have to become a more ambitious passer, willing to let fly more aggressively and read defenses more assertively. But for ND, he didn't do too much wrong.

Reactions: francade
There's no question that book extended drives with his legs... many many many drives. But to beat the elite teams you aren't going to have 15 play drives constantly. That's what the offense was with book vs clemson part 2 and bama. He reverted back to his old ways of panicking and not pushing the ball at all.

Book was a solid college QB that just couldn't get over the hump mentally to be great. ND needs great to win a championship

Dang, Tyree's new weight is 188 which means he played at 179 last year. I'm excited to see him, hopefully the added strength will pay big dividends.

There's no question that book extended drives with his legs... many many many drives. But to beat the elite teams you aren't going to have 15 play drives constantly. That's what the offense was with book vs clemson part 2 and bama. He reverted back to his old ways of panicking and not pushing the ball at all.

Book was a solid college QB that just couldn't get over the hump mentally to be great. ND needs great to win a championship
Book was a great college QB. Somebody claimed he was soft a couple of weeks after he played with with broken ribs.😁

“There's no question that book extended drives with his legs... many many many drives. But to beat the elite teams you aren't going to have 15 play drives constantly. That's what the offense was with book vs clemson part 2 and bama. He reverted back to his old ways of panicking and not pushing the ball at all.

Book was a solid college QB that just couldn't get over the hump mentally to be great. ND needs great to win a championship”

More horseshit ^^ on the subject from the prez & his cabinet.

Mentally wasnt the issue

ADVERTISEMENT