ADVERTISEMENT

We can put all this joining a conference talk to bed

Personally I think they want to be able to schedule their own games (Navy, BC, etc) to be relevant and to reach 10 wins per season. If they join a conference these are out the window.
Look what happened to Penn state and Nebraska once they joined the Big Ten and i think ND is worried this will happen to them.

Right. You are over here on this board, but ND is struggling to be relevant. Gotcha.

Big Ten teams are getting 80 to 100 million a year? Is that right?

We are getting 70 at least.

If those are accurate, who cares

Reactions: BGI User 756
ND is not joining a conference unless the are pushed out of the CFB playoffs. They will take less money to be independent, which is what is happening by not joining the Big Ten. Personally I think they want to be able to schedule their own games (Navy, BC, etc) to be relevant and to reach 10 wins per season. If they join a conference these are out the window.
Look what happened to Penn state and Nebraska once they joined the Big Ten and i think ND is worried this will happen to them.
Two things here..

The CFB will NEVER...

I repeat NEVER....

black ball ND from a playoff and or a Major Bowl.

Notice how there is a caveat with all the wording specifically including ND.?.
Like such winner vs. Such winner or Notre Dame.

Everyone wants them. Why?

If you don't know now you never will

Reactions: tbonesays
We may know more tomorrow (Thursday). If reports are accurate, that’s when the Big Ten is going to announce their new media Rights Deal.

The current reporting on the Big Ten media Rights deal might be all smoke. But if it’s not, and Notre Dame’s $60 million dollar NBC raise doesn’t take affect until their new contract begins in 2026, they will be receiving $65 to $70 million dollars less than Rutgers or Indiana over the next three years, beginning in 2023. You do the math.

If it’s a bump up on your current contract, you’ll still lose a lot of money, but the hit won’t be quite as bad.

We also have to see if the reporting is right about the exclusive 7:30 PM window NBC is alleged to have carved out for the Big Ten. If true, not only will you be making less money, even based on an immediate $60 million dollar bump beginning in 2023 coinciding with the Big Ten’s Contract, but you will be promoting their game all through your 2:30 PM time slot with no reciprocation. Unless you agree to play on a Thursday or Friday night, you may be blocked out of being able to play any Home Games at night.

Makes no sense that Notre Dame would agree to something like that unless they were planning to join. That’s why all the questions. Most on here seem oblivious to what’s going on.

I get that Independence is important. But if the reports are accurate, the Big Ten and NBC are taking you guys to the cleaners.

Maybe we will know more tomorrow if the Big Ten announces.
Typical envy from the JoePa defender.

Two things here..

The CFB will NEVER...

I repeat NEVER....

black ball ND from a playoff and or a Major Bowl.

Notice how there is a caveat with all the wording specifically including ND.?.
Like such winner vs. Such winner or Notre Dame.

Everyone wants them. Why?

If you don't know now you never will
ND lives in the past, its not 1975 anymore. That's the problem with older fans & the AD.
Gene Smith (OSU AD) said it best today:

On Notre Dame: "I love my alma mater ... I assume we're gonna beat them on September 3rd like we have historically done." Smith says Notre Dame is "so ingrained in the independent culture."

Ingrained is the prefect word!! Probably something that you will never understand.

ND lives in the past, its not 1975 anymore. That's the problem with older fans & the AD.

On Notre Dame: "I love my alma mater ... I assume we're gonna beat them on September 3rd like we have historically done." Smith says Notre Dame is "so ingrained in the independent culture."

Ingrained is the prefect word!! Probably something that you will never understand.

Gene Smith has been away from ND for decades. He is now employed by Ohio St. Imagine that he now views ND through an Ohio St. filter.

Last edited:

Apparently ND lives in your head too.

Ingrained is the prefect word!! Probably something that you will never understand
You'll spin this any way you see fit...

But.....

Allow me to write exactly what Smith meant to say

He meant to say that ND loves it's independence to the point they wallow in it.
Honestly they're the only program that can get away with being independent. As an alum and now involved daily with another top program I admire ND's abilibty to remain independent and not succumb to the trendy changes of conferences yearly.
Only they can pull this off and you have to respect that.

That's exactly what he meant to say.
Tell him he's welcome.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The new B1G deal, along with the Big Ten Network money, the Bowl games and the CF playoffs is estimated to give each B1G team somewhere around $102 to 104 million to each school starting in 2023 and the rumors are they're looking to possibly expand further into the Phoenix, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle markets with the schools in those areas

Lol, Gene hasn’t been on campus in 30 years and has been bought and paid for by the Bucks. He was part of the Urbie hush crowd and almost lost his job but he sacrificed Urbie (who he had originally protected)

swing and a miss

The new B1G deal, along with the Big Ten Network money, the Bowl games and the CF playoffs is estimated to give each B1G team somewhere around $102 to 104 million to each school starting in 2023 and the rumors are they're looking to possibly expand further into the Phoenix, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle markets with the schools in those areas
80 to 100 is what I've seen reported

I'm surprised you spelled "ingrained" correctly. OSU fan/alum, using big boy words. 😂

Yup. On the road when the new NBC contract kicks in.

Nope.

Bevacqua said NBC remained "in constant contact" with Notre Dame during negotiations about obtaining a Big Ten rights package. He added that NBC will continue to broadcast some Notre Dame night home games, which would replace the Big Ten prime-time game on those weeks.

Yup. On the road when the new NBC contract kicks in.
No
Nope.

Bevacqua said NBC remained "in constant contact" with Notre Dame during negotiations about obtaining a Big Ten rights package. He added that NBC will continue to broadcast some Notre Dame night home games, which would replace the Big Ten prime-time game on those weeks.

Yes
Nope. Pete Sampson reported ND would get home night games under the new deal
Correct

Why???

For the millionth time...

Nobody and I repeat nobody still commands an audience like ND.

Nearly 30 years since being a yearly top echelon relevant program and they're still king of the hill!!

The $102 to 104 million is projected on their new massive TV deal, the Big Ten Network payout, TV Bowl games and CF playoffs
Then you'd have to add bowl game to NDs numbers to compare.

We're at 70 mil if we accept that proposed deal then you'd have to add bowl game

Reactions: tbonesays
Then you'd have to add bowl game to NDs numbers to compare.

We're at 70 mil if we accept that proposed deal then you'd have to add bowl game
Which they don't share with anyone. 😀

ADVERTISEMENT