ADVERTISEMENT

USC Game Thread

Not to mention the inability of the defense to get off the field on third down.
Let's be fair with the D. Yes it was disappointing, but they held SC to their third lowest point total of the season.. and that's with 2 DB's out.

Reactions: ftnfan62
Why would a full time starter transfer? He played every down. He will start next year too.

If you said Tyree, yea. Would see that. But not a full time starter

Let's be fair with the D. Yes it was disappointing, but they held SC to their third lowest point total of the season.. and that's with 2 DB's out.
Our Dline played average at best, Liafau was a non factor and mickens gave up way too much cushion on 3rd down.

Why would a full time starter transfer? He played every down. He will start next year too.

If you said Tyree, yea. Would see that. But not a full time starter
If you have aspirations of getting to the next level and you have a QB that isn't feeding you the ball enough, it's a problem. ND needs to get a QB transfer next year.,

In the end, they played just good enough to win. Without those TO’s, you got the ball down by 4 with 4 left. No reason we couldn’t win.

MF and the coaches put them in a position to win. It’s not like we got blown out. It could have come down to the last drive. Would have been exciting as hell.

MF seems to get them ready and is a few key players away. We need to go to the portal for a killer QB. Can’t put this team on hold for another year with a frosh and someone who can’t make 2 games without getttong hurt

If you have aspirations of getting to the next level and you have a QB that isn't feeding you the ball enough, it's a problem. ND needs to get a QB transfer next year.,

I think he is second on the team behind the best TE in CFB and maybe one of the best players in CFB.

Reactions: NDinNJ
you have to outscore SC; doubtful it would have made any difference if 2 players were available; SC can score,and seems to do so when pressed to do so. They do seem to take the foot off the gas when ahead.

Reactions: rgc7
Riley relies on an elite QB. One of these years he’s going to get a bust and struggle big time.
One of these days people on this site will realize that good QB play (especially in college football) is more a function of an entire offense working rather than merely having say dan marino back there just carrying the entire offense on his back.

When you got good pass protection, a good running game, versatile running backs that can outrun a defense, when you got receivers that can create separation, when you got an OC that really knows how to gameplan and exploit the opposing defense, when you operate under an offensive system that really works, you then have really high end QB play. It's a combination of ALL of these factors that create a Caleb Williams, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, etc.

A lot of ND fans are sitting around waiting for ND to recruit a savior at the QB position, but before we get the savior we need to get everything else on offense clicking (recruit better talent, run a system that maximizes their talent, not have any gaping holes at any position groups, etc.) THIS is what enables and maximizes a star player at QB.

Lincoln Riley knows how to build and run an offense, and he knows how to attract star players and how to fit them in his system.

Lincoln Riley isn't getting lucky with world beating QBs, he's developing the best players at the position because he runs a system that both attracts QBs/offensive talent, and then maximizes their talent with an offense that clicks holistically.

Reactions: rgc7 and NDinNJ
Texas will be a very difficult bowl matchup for ND.
That's the point. You want to play a program that can increase your brand if you beat them.
No recruits or nobody in college football is going to be impressed by a victory over some 7-5 AAC team like the Houston Cougars.

If ND plays a great game and has an impressive win vs Texas it will carry way more weight in terms of increasing the perception of the brand.

That's the point. You want to play a program that can increase your brand if you beat them.
No recruits or nobody in college football is going to be impressed by a victory over some 7-5 AAC team like the Houston Cougars.

If ND plays a great game and has an impressive win vs Texas it will carry way more weight in terms of increasing the perception of the brand.
and a Loss? you have to consider that! Best matchup is LSU; fans want that! Dancin with the Coaches at halftime!

One of these days people on this site will realize that good QB play (especially in college football) is more a function of an entire offense working rather than merely having say dan marino back there just carrying the entire offense on his back.

When you got good pass protection, a good running game, versatile running backs that can outrun a defense, when you got receivers that can create separation, when you got an OC that really knows how to gameplan and exploit the opposing defense, when you operate under an offensive system that really works, you then have really high end QB play. It's a combination of ALL of these factors that create a Caleb Williams, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray, etc.

A lot of ND fans are sitting around waiting for ND to recruit a savior at the QB position, but before we get the savior we need to get everything else on offense clicking (recruit better talent, run a system that maximizes their talent, not have any gaping holes at any position groups, etc.) THIS is what enables and maximizes a star player at QB.

Lincoln Riley knows how to build and run an offense, and he knows how to attract star players and how to fit them in his system.

Lincoln Riley isn't getting lucky with world beating QBs, he's developing the best players at the position because he runs a system that both attracts QBs/offensive talent, and then maximizes their talent with an offense that clicks holistically.
True, but 19 transfers sure accelerated the quest toward an NC

I was disappointed in overall how ND played. I really thought the Irish could have won this. Especially against a USC defense that gives up a lot of points. ND had a lot of momentum coming into this game, establishing a power run game identity and strength in defense and special teams.

I thought ND was going to run through the USC defense. I still think Rees didn't make optimal play calls. He seems to not use Estime enough, when he probably is the best back. Play calling is compounded by DP being a limited QB who can make bad mistakes at crucial times.

An 8-4 season with a new coach is fine by me. Respectable, even given losses to Marshall and Stanford. I think Freeman has exciting prospects, having weathered the worst of the new coaching storm.

I hope Freeman gets his recruits, a solid QB, and receivers for a balanced offense. And that Rees develops as fast as possible as an OC. A lot of stuff to clean up for sure, but it's not a dumpster fire by an means.

I won't bore with my usual spiel of ND being at a competitive disadvantage. It hasn't changed. I only bring it up to overall appreciate that ND can aspire to be competitive in an era of semipro college football.

I'm looking forward to a good bowl game.

Can you read, I said third lowest. So yes Oregon State and Washington state did.
No I skipped reading in school. Somehow still got into West Point. But cool ND got the Bronze in point totals vs USC.

No I skipped reading in school. Somehow still got into West Point. But cool ND got the Bronze in point totals vs USC.
Didn't realize West Point lowered their standards. God help us.
My point was USC was going to score, ND needed to score have a chance, that didn't happen. Football 101.

Last edited:
Reactions: d1042
ADVERTISEMENT