ADVERTISEMENT

USC Game Thread

Notre Dame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Oct 9, 2021
Just starting one early. Biggest game of the season.

Here’s a question, if you were given 3 options before the season, which would you choose?

A. 9-3 ND loses to Ohio State, Clemson, and USC.
B. 9-3 ND loses to Ohio State, Marshall, and Stanford, but beats a top 5 Clemson and beats a top 5 USC.
C. 10-2 ND loses to Ohio State and USC (likely BK season).

I would go with B. A win in this game rights the season and sends Freeman into the stars with two top 5 wins and the biggest coming as the last game.

Last edited:
This is going to sound strange but I would be more upset if they lost to (The OSU, Clemson and USC).

This is going to sound strange but I would be more upset if they lost to (The OSU, Clemson and USC).
Doesn’t sound strange. If we beat USC and Clemson it makes the Marshall and Stanford losses seem rather insignificant to the future of the program. While they're significant to this season because keep us out of the playoffs, so would 2 losses to two top 5 teams. Two huge wins is a bigger deal than two ball droppers early in the season.

Just starting one early. Biggest game of the season.

Here’s a question, if you were given 3 options before the season, which would you choose?

A. 9-3 ND loses to Ohio State, Clemson, and USC.
B. 9-3 ND loses to Ohio State, Marshall, and Stanford, but beats a top 5 Clemson and beats a top 5 USC.
C. 10-2 ND loses to Ohio State and USC (likely BK season).

I would go with B. A win in this game rights the season and sends Freeman into the stars with two top 5 wins and the biggest coming as the last game.
I will take it the way it is with a win over SC and a bowl win!

Reactions: irishalice
If we can hold Ohio State to 21, we should be able to hold USC down too. I don’t think Williams is any better than Stroud.

Doesn’t sound strange. If we beat USC and Clemson it makes the Marshall and Stanford losses seem rather insignificant to the future of the program. While they're significant to this season because keep us out of the playoffs, so would 2 losses to two top 5 teams. Two huge wins is a bigger deal than two ball droppers early in the season.
I’d take this, too. First of all, the Clemson win and hypothetical USC win would come after those two ugly losses, so the trajectory would still be on the up. Secondly, while those two losses can’t be simply waved away, they seem more like non-replicable events now. I don‘t want to say “flukes” since there were systemic issues in those losses, but those issues have been addressed and fixed.

A win vs. USC without any flukey circumstances puts the current team and what it has showed over the last 6 weeks or so as a top 5ish type team playing with Pyne at QB.

If we can hold Ohio State to 21, we should be able to hold USC down too. I don’t think Williams is any better than Stroud.

To be fair, that was OSU right at the beginning of the year—they weren’t at full offensive speed at the beginning of last year, either. If we were to hold USC down, I can see us winning easily as USC’s defense is terrible unlike OSU’s.

You said offense, not team. Specifically Williams and Stroud.

Williams is more dangerous because of his legs
Right. He is more dangerous as a runner. Ohio State has a far better defense. We should have a better chance of beating USC than Ohio State on paper. We shall see.

Stupid Rees! JUST RUN THE DAMNED BALL!!!

(This a test of the emergency posting system.... in the event of a real game thread, you will be instructed to put down the bottle.)

Reactions: 4-4-3 and graceh90
The way this season has gone, who truly knows what happens tomorrow. Hoping for a great game and a Irish win.

If USC wins they’ll have a shot at playing for the NC.

They only lost by a point to Utah, and they will have beaten two ranked teams back to back.

Michigan or OSU will lose, catapulting USC into the conversation, so, they have a lot to play for.

Running the ball successfully and keeping their offense off of the field, coupled with no turnovers will be critical.

Go Irish ! 🍀

The refs can play a factor as well. I watched the UF v FSU game tonight and the ref in the end missed a blatant facemask that may have altered the game. Think about the bogus officiating in Michigans last game. I hope we dont get Pac 12 refs or a crew that favors USC.

The refs can play a factor as well. I watched the UF v FSU game tonight and the ref in the end missed a blatant facemask that may have altered the game. Think about the bogus officiating in Michigans last game. I hope we dont get Pac 12 refs or a crew that favors USC.
Yes missed face mask but game should have been over. The PI call against FSU when it was 4th and 18 was crap, it kept drive going

Any word on cam hart? Big blow if he can’t go. Mickey will have to play well because Lewis is Lewis and bracy doesn’t seem to be 100%z

all the CBS Experts picked USC to win outright and only two picked ND to cover. I am going with beachcardinal's take on USC and still think ND should be able to run it down their throat and win.

all the CBS Experts picked USC to win outright and only two picked ND to cover. I am going with beachcardinal's take on USC and still think ND should be able to run it down their throat and win.
Depends on which team shows up and how much work TR put in over Thanksgiving to draw up some creative run plays. I guess we will see if TR had a good week relaxing or not.

keys to the game indicators:
ND : drives with 3rd and short (time clock eating drives)
ND : runs for 150 yards in the 1st half
ND : Mayer gets 10 completions (reception) (fixed for the simple minded)

You see that and ND wins going away

Last edited:
keys to the game indicators:
ND : drives with 3rd and short (time clock eating drives)
ND : runs for 150 yards in the 1st half
ND : Mayer gets 10 completions

You see that and ND wins going away
If Mayer throws for 10 completions not sure that’s good

Yes missed face mask but game should have been over. The PI call against FSU when it was 4th and 18 was crap, it kept drive going
But the refs missed an actual PI two plays before

ADVERTISEMENT