ADVERTISEMENT

UCLA forced to subsidize UCB

EXACTLY what Beach and several here suggested would be the outcome. The regents had no power to disapprove the move by UCLA to the Big Ten, as this power rests with the UCLA Chancellor, but they do have the authority over the UC Budget Process and allocation decisions.
Ah yes the wonderful state of CA. A libby heaven...

As usual, the achiever forced to subsidize the underachiever. So predictable. https://www.espn.com/college-footba...-approve-ucla-big-ten-move-include-conditions

Achiever? Their athletic department is 100 million in debt.
Yeah I don't get the angst. UCLA is a government entity. It is an 'achiever' because the Cali government decided it would be a major university many years ago before the others.

As a gov entity UCLA exists to serve the people of Cali, not its own wallet.

Reactions: notredamerises23

• Haha
Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
Yeah I don't get the angst. UCLA is a government entity. It is an 'achiever' because the Cali government decided it would be a major university many years ago before the others.

As a gov entity UCLA exists to serve the people of Cali, not its own wallet.
Well stated.

I don't have a problem with this. UCLA (a state-sponsored institution) is bolting for more money and leaving their sister institution behind. So they probably should have to pay to subsidize their sister school a little. They're not a private institution. USC, on the other hand, can do whatever they want as a private institution.

Exactly how and to what degree was UCAL Berkeley impacted by UCLA’s move to the BIG.

Thehellyousay,

Which states ?
How and to what degree does California subsidize those states ?

Exactly how and to what degree was UCAL Berkeley impacted by UCLA’s move to the BIG.

Thehellyousay,

Which states ?
Exactly. Please give us ACTUAL information about this.

I don't have a problem with this. UCLA (a state-sponsored institution) is bolting for more money and leaving their sister institution behind. So they probably should have to pay to subsidize their sister school a little. They're not a private institution. USC, on the other hand, can do whatever they want as a private institution.
Well stated.

Reactions: mbd11

Thehellyousay,

Which states ?
Well the question is how does California distribute tax payers dollars in support of its state universities? And does each state universities athletic department self fund it's operations from just the revenue each generates? I don't live in CA, so I don't know the answers to those questions. As for payer states vs. Taker states, CA is a payer state and Mississippi is a taker. NY is a payer and Kentucky is a taker and on and on.

Well the question is how does California distribute tax payers dollars in support of its state universities? And does each state universities athletic department self fund it's operations from just the revenue each generates? I don't live in CA, so I don't know the answers to those questions. As for payer states vs. Taker states, CA is a payer state and Mississippi is a taker. NY is a payer and Kentucky is a taker and on and on.
Yet somehow not one CA legislature was part of the payer state act.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT