ADVERTISEMENT

U of Miami players to be paid $6,000 each for NIL!

Gonna need a lot more Jerry Mcquires when these sports agents get involved and will now be making deals for all the college players. The top Alabama players will now be not taking the team bus, they will e in limos. Gonna have to drop the label "student athletes". I'm not opposed to not paying players but this is a pandoras box that the NCAA needs to handle. But as we al know they are now just they are paper tiger owned by the best teams.
I don't know; don't think anything will change at Alabama. Now, they won't have to hide the financial benefits going to the players. Saban is breathing a big sigh of relief.

Reactions: irish4life9999
If I were mid major and lower schools,I would drop the NCAA and form my own football/basketball association. Headed by intelligent and honest men and women. Aren't there just 85 schollies at each school not 90?

I miss the old days of all sports. NBA, NCAA football & basketball ( one & done), MLB, and NFL. I guess for the young bucks who never experienced sports in 80’ s & 90’s doesn’t matter. When I got on the NYPD , old timer told me the JOB was dead. I wasn’t on the JOB so I didn’t know “ good ole days”. I guess death taxes & change are the constants.

All the bleeding hearts and do gooders who felt that getting a free education wasn’t enough, well you got your wish. Now, when your favorite college team implodes, because of petty jealousy in the locker room. Don’t get your feelings hurt when people tell you “we told you so”.

All the bleeding hearts and do gooders who felt that getting a free education wasn’t enough, well you got your wish. Now, when your favorite college team implodes, because of petty jealousy in the locker room. Don’t get your feelings hurt when people tell you “we told you so”.

Do professional teams implode because of "petty jealousy"?

I don't necessarily know the right way to compensate players, but it seems to me a little ridiculous that coaches, schools and outside parties (broadcasters, etc.) can freely make money from college athletics but student-athletes are generally left to only getting a free education that the university would prefer they not spend a significant time on.

Do professional teams implode because of "petty jealousy"?

I don't necessarily know the right way to compensate players, but it seems to me a little ridiculous that coaches, schools and outside parties (broadcasters, etc.) can freely make money from college athletics but student-athletes are generally left to only getting a free education that the university would prefer they not spend a significant time on.
Only getting a free education?
So were you born with a silver spoon in the mouth?

Reactions: francade
Wasn't getting publicity on broadcast tv enough?

I actually favored the players getting a standardized kickback from the CFB financial firehose. I don't see the good in the players selling their NIL to the highest bidder when they are actually selling themselves as players.

Only getting a free education?
So were you born with a silver spoon in the mouth?

Why should student-athletes be limited by what they can make out of their skills but coaches and other people associated with college athletics don't have the same restraints?

I'd find the "free education" argument a bit more compelling if the importance on education was greater than that of the sport for these programs.

This is so sad. Just another indicator of how far society has fallen. Give Take. greed. Power. Buy everything. Buy the presidency. Buy Congress. Buy titles. Buy mediocrity

Total F up. And people continue to vote Democratic. Sick
I agree with you .

This is so sad. Just another indicator of how far society has fallen. Give Take. greed. Power. Buy everything. Buy the presidency. Buy Congress. Buy titles. Buy mediocrity

Total F up. And people continue to vote Democratic. Sick
Hey Bro..........

Would you like to buy some "paintings" that are really horrible excuses for "art" by an ex-con junkie that has never painted before for only: ta...da...............
$500,000 a POP!

Buying politicians American style (as opposed to banana republics that send cash directly to offshore banks)

Well, Notre Dame brags to all the recruits about being a National Brand and all the Alumni connections and 40 year decision. So, let the players have a taste now and hopefully the University doesn’t screw this up. Let all these rich and powerful Alumni and business owners step up and start sponsoring and doing endorsement deals… this is one area where ND should never be lacking…if they can buy building and endow coaching positions, I am sure they can do for the players and recruits….not saying I wanted this for college athletics, but it’s here and we need to play big boy ball.

Well, Notre Dame brags to all the recruits about being a National Brand and all the Alumni connections and 40 year decision. So, let the players have a taste now and hopefully the University doesn’t screw this up. Let all these rich and powerful Alumni and business owners step up and start sponsoring and doing endorsement deals… this is one area where ND should never be lacking…if they can buy building and endow coaching positions, I am sure they can do for the players and recruits….not saying I wanted this for college athletics, but it’s here and we need to play big boy ball.
So, what you’re suggesting is a strategy to compete on the NIL playing field. Makes perfect sense, and for ND it may, in fact, be an existential imperative. For football. Additionally, if your wealthy alumni strategy is adopted, the MONETIZATION of college football will be COMPLETE.

Because once ND goes for the brass ring, who’s left who won’t?

What this does, though, is contrast ND’s deeper mission with the significant material success of many of its graduates. But then is ND’s mission to make its graduates rich, too? Or is that merely a potential by-product of a good education that stresses both knowledge acquisition and a commitment to values?

Regardless, it’s clear that students enroll in superior schools to receive superior educations so as to experience SUPERIOR LIVES. And in the real world that often means ACCESS TO MORE MONEY. This is probably true of most students at most universities.

But how will ND, the value-laden institution, define its relationship to NIL once it’s fully up and running, especially should it be embraced in a HIGHLY COMMERCIALIZED WAY by elite ND alumni as per your strategy?

Normally, ND doesn’t view the monetary success of its graduates as a knock on the university’s deeper mission. Why would it? Education leading to prosperity is the key element of the entire AMERICAN DREAM MACHINE – where everyone is supposed to wind up far better off than where they started from.

But is that the same thing as commercializing the football recruiting process? Which is what in practice NIL COULD INEVITABLY BECOME?

In other words, is moving up the MONETIZATION payday from a) its current POTENTIAL REWARD for acquiring an ND degree to b) an INDUCEMENT TO ATTEND to play football the same thing? Or is it something fundamentally different?

To me, it seems materially different and, mission-wise, STRETCHING IT. And while I’m not suggesting how ND should play this, I’m interested in HOW THEY MIGHT COUNTER if NIL’s more blatantly commercial approach revolutionizes recruiting. A big IF . . . but possible.

Will ND simply look the other way if NIL should dominate the CFB landscape, or will it – in pursuit of its deeper mission – take a harder and MORE RESTRICTIVE view as it has with admissions, class work, living arrangements and remaining independent, i.e. whatever distinguishes ND from most other programs?

What I’m curious to see is how many ways can a university, such as ND PARSE ITS EDUCATIONAL MISSION without admitting – VIA ITS REAL-WORLD ACTIONS – that its college football program is ever more dependent on not only cash flows but also CASH FLOW INCENTIVES to remain competitive.

Assuming it comes to that – which I think it could.

ADVERTISEMENT