ADVERTISEMENT

U of Miami players to be paid $6,000 each for NIL!

Is it just me, or is this exactly what everyone worried about happening? An alum basically promising to pay every player money, which becomes a potential recruiting advantage. So, even if you end up as the 4th string free safety, you will get paid the same as the starting QB for promoting this guy's product?

Reactions: rgc7 and tkirish
And other colleges are working on $10,000+ deals and so on. It’s pay for play.

Reactions: rgc7
Pandora's box is now open. Now, I am not saying that the players do not have a legitimate gripe. I mean if you look at what coaches are paid and what he schools bring in, it is ridiculous amounts is money. From a players perspective you can see why they are saying, "hey, where is our piece of the pie ? " The new NIL rule is meant to address the issue. However, like all things that were meant to have good intentions, unintended consequences always seem to occur. Right now, we aren't quite sure what that will be. If there is an early indicator, it would be what is proposed for the "The U " football players. the schools are prohibited from direct payment to players. If that happened, the players would basically become employees. So, the question begs. What loopholes or backdoor deals will be cut to get around paying players ? This is a slippery slope and no one is really sure where it goes.

Reactions: rgc7 and draco40
Hey now, hey now, we have a bid for $6,000, can I get 7? Bid now at $7,000, can I get 8? Hey now, bid is $10,000, can I get 20? Hey now look at this............the bid is now $100,000, can I get 200? etc., etc.

NIL = NOW IT'S LIGIT. :eek:

There is talk on the internet that Texas Boosters are working on a similar plan to offer $30,000 to each player. Come on A&M, what's your bid?

Reactions: rgc7 and thomas7
This may end up working in our favor. ND is a national brand and should result in lucrative endorsement deals. Sad college athletics are heading in this direction but if this is the new direction it’s going then might as well use the leverage we have.

I don’t know if any of you all personally know any of these players but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure they are reading and understanding the NIL contracts they sign. If they don’t, tell them to find an attorney.

Many of these contracts I have seen grant the company perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable rights. As an attorney, I would strongly advise any of my clients not to sign such a deal without substantial compensation.

It makes me very, very curious as to what YOKE has inked with Hamilton and others at ND. I hope they didn’t get screwed in the long run.

It’s pretty obvious this is going to get bad. Let’s say if you were choosing between 2 schools and 1 pays you $20,000 to be on the team it’s a no brainer for some families.

Pandora's box is now open. Now, I am not saying that the players do not have a legitimate gripe. I mean if you look at what coaches are paid and what he schools bring in, it is ridiculous amounts is money. From a players perspective you can see why they are saying, "hey, where is our piece of the pie ? " The new NIL rule is meant to address the issue. However, like all things that were meant to have good intentions, unintended consequences always seem to occur. Right now, we aren't quite sure what that will be. If there is an early indicator, it would be what is proposed for the "The U " football players. the schools are prohibited from direct payment to players. If that happened, the players would basically become employees. So, the question begs. What loopholes or backdoor deals will be cut to get around paying players ? This is a slippery slope and no one is really sure where it goes.
The socioeconomics of this are interesting.

Even though college football players have unique skills which set them apart from, say, workers at Amazon, those Amazon “grunts” are just as important to Bezos et al as college football players are to college football. No workers, no product.

(At least not until full-blown – potentially Orwellian – AI.)

Yet, FEW WITH MONEY are going to propose altering the wage scale – even marginally – for non-skilled labor at Amazon or anywhere else. Meanwhile, that same prosperity-class – or at least that portion of it enamored of college sports – can’t wait to wrap itself around NIL contracts.

So, what’s this say? To me, two things.

One, because college football players have something ENORMOUSLY LUCRATIVE to sell, they’re being admitted – that is, ALLOWED IN – to the OWNER-RENTIER ranks as at least NOMINAL STAKEHOLDERS, thereby allowing them to leave behind the “grunt” ranks of the average non-skilled laborer.

Two, NIL approval came about not as a matter of new law but as an interpretation of existing law via a 9-0 SCOTUS decision. Yet, while framed as an anti-trust decision, might it not have broader effect?

In fact, did it not further strengthen the system whereby monetize-able, income-stream asset-outlets meant to circulate and recirculate capital are promoted and can be extended by the OWNER-RENTIER class to whomever they designate?

Note that despite all of the economic-justice ink that’s been dedicated to this issue, no one in the unskilled labor world will EVER come close to such a deal.

Which is JUST HOW WE ROLL. No argument.

But then only if we view this for what it is. A timely extension of stakeholder status to a group deemed essential to the trade.

Again, HOW WE ROLL.

As for equity, there is none, but only WHAT THE TRAFFIC WILL BEAR. Unlimited sums to athletes? That’s RUNNING THE GAME, not HOLDING A STAKE. THAT PART, I sense, will be challenged.

Let's just hope Notre Dame pays more
More than the Texas schools? LOL!

BTW, what do you suppose the bid for Arch Manning will be? (#! recruit in the nation 2023). Step right up folks, wha-due-you-bid? Do I hear $100K to start?

More than the Texas schools? LOL!

BTW, what do you suppose the bid for Arch Manning will be? (#! recruit in the nation 2023). Step right up folks, wha-due-you-bid? Do I hear $100K to start?
This is so sad. Just another indicator of how far society has fallen. Give Take. greed. Power. Buy everything. Buy the presidency. Buy Congress. Buy titles. Buy mediocrity

Total F up. And people continue to vote Democratic. Sick

Right behind this will come Congressional passing a bill making the rounds that will force the colleges to pay them outright plus offer a host of “benefits.”:and the ability to unionize. And…as I understand it…NONE will be taxable unlike similar benefits to normal workin people.

The socioeconomics of this are interesting.

Even though college football players have unique skills which set them apart from, say, workers at Amazon, those Amazon “grunts” are just as important to Bezos et al as college football players are to college football. No workers, no product.

(At least not until full-blown – potentially Orwellian – AI.)

Yet, FEW WITH MONEY are going to propose altering the wage scale – even marginally – for non-skilled labor at Amazon or anywhere else. Meanwhile, that same prosperity-class – or at least that portion of it enamored of college sports – can’t wait to wrap itself around NIL contracts.

So, what’s this say? To me, two things.

One, because college football players have something ENORMOUSLY LUCRATIVE to sell, they’re being admitted – that is, ALLOWED IN – to the OWNER-RENTIER ranks as at least NOMINAL STAKEHOLDERS, thereby allowing them to leave behind the “grunt” ranks of the average non-skilled laborer.

Two, NIL approval came about not as a matter of new law but as an interpretation of existing law via a 9-0 SCOTUS decision. Yet, while framed as an anti-trust decision, might it not have broader effect?

In fact, did it not further strengthen the system whereby monetize-able, income-stream asset-outlets meant to circulate and recirculate capital are promoted and can be extended by the OWNER-RENTIER class to whomever they designate?

Note that despite all of the economic-justice ink that’s been dedicated to this issue, no one in the unskilled labor world will EVER come close to such a deal.

Which is JUST HOW WE ROLL. No argument.

But then only if we view this for what it is. A timely extension of stakeholder status to a group deemed essential to the trade.

Again, HOW WE ROLL.

As for equity, there is none, but only WHAT THE TRAFFIC WILL BEAR. Unlimited sums to athletes? That’s RUNNING THE GAME, not HOLDING A STAKE. THAT PART, I sense, will be challenged.

Not all players are created equal. Some players will more than likely benefit a lot from the new rule. Others not so much. How will this affect everyone involved? That has yet to be determined. These type of rules usually evolve over time. I think the intent is to be fair to the players. However, it will be interesting to see as time goes on , how or if the NIL rule evolves.

Reactions: ftnfan62
Agree TK. This will become just like the NFL. You will see and I predict it to be in the next 3 years the first Frosh recruit paid 1m. It will be a QB more than likely.

At some point there will be no such definition as “student athlete”. Why? You are getting 1m.

Tex, OSU, Bama, GA, ND, and a few others will work with their sponsors (NBC, UA, Etc) and put together a pool to get the best. Oregon will be a monster with Nike.

Reactions: rgc7 and tkirish
This is so sad. Just another indicator of how far society has fallen. Give Take. greed. Power. Buy everything. Buy the presidency. Buy Congress. Buy titles. Buy mediocrity

Total F up. And people continue to vote Democratic. Sick
I agree with your comments.

The country is in a deep state of decay. it didn't just happen. It started slowly in the 70's and went into quiet overdrive in the 80's with the proliferation of debt instruments, credit cards and magical thinking as to energy.

But it isn't just Democrats. They're far more complicit than their supporters will admit, but Republicans have been looters as well. They just do it differently.

Corporate power runs the country, and both parties bow to it. In fact, it could hardly be otherwise. Once there's entrenched corporate capitalism -- and I'm a capitalist who worked in structured finance -- it's pretty hard outrunning Fascism.

And Fascism -- which I see as ILLIBERAL ELITES + TOTALITARIANISM -- can arise on either the Right OR the Left.

Needless to say, I support neither party. Nor am I a so-called Libertarian. I vote according to the issue, though most of my votes don't change a thing.

Right now, there isn't an answer. Given that so much is rotten, it's difficult to foresee a change in trajectory. But it's not impossible. A tech or energy breakthrough could usher in more favorable variables.

Still, the country has lost its character. Much more difficult to repair.

As for this N.I.L. business, hope for the best while expecting the worst. These days -- anything that CAN BE MONETIZED WILL BE MONETIZED.

Income streams rule, money is king and sports are bread and circuses.

Reactions: rgc7 and theskibro
Not all players are created equal. Some players will more than likely benefit a lot from the new rule. Others not so much. How will this affect everyone involved? That has yet to be determined. These type of rules usually evolve over time. I think the intent is to be fair to the players. However, it will be interesting to see as time goes on , how or if the NIL rule evolves.
Yes, no one knows what's next.

My point is that many of these players have now been invited to the banquet even before they've proven themselves. That as compared to people in other walks of life who will never encounter anything approaching such an opportunity.

As a result, college players are PROFESSIONALS IN TRAINING in an even deeper and more universal sense. And, for some, the rewards will come SOONER.

And, yes, there may very well be disparities. But how much disparity can there be? And at one point might too much be too much? Unlimited money in politics certainly changed THAT GAME.

Is the sky the limit for these players? Or will at some point, they be curtailed? Or put another way, when does a booster's stone size exhaust his financial resources?

And what is he even getting for that? The right to sit in the stands and yell HOOK 'EM HORNS with a greater degree of confidence that it will happen?

Frankly, these boosters are nuts.

Gonna need a lot more Jerry Mcquires when these sports agents get involved and will now be making deals for all the college players. The top Alabama players will now be not taking the team bus, they will e in limos. Gonna have to drop the label "student athletes". I'm not opposed to not paying players but this is a pandoras box that the NCAA needs to handle. But as we al know they are now just they are paper tiger owned by the best teams.

I don’t know if any of you all personally know any of these players but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure they are reading and understanding the NIL contracts they sign. If they don’t, tell them to find an attorney.

Many of these contracts I have seen grant the company perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable rights. As an attorney, I would strongly advise any of my clients not to sign such a deal without substantial compensation.

It makes me very, very curious as to what YOKE has inked with Hamilton and others at ND. I hope they didn’t get screwed in the long run.
I'm sure some will be like recording contracts where they pay you, or lend you, money on your future earnings.

Let's just hope Notre Dame pays more
Read the article. It's not the school's paying them but endorsements from companies. ND will need to set up a marketing firm just to attract the best endorsements for thier players. The school with the best endorsement deals will get the best players.

Great comment. Most people will sign it and don't seek legal advice. By any chance you to go to Notre Dame law school?

There will be lawsuits because women’s field hockey doesn’t get as much as men’s football. And black athletes will demand reparations. And on n on

I don't agree with that.

IMO the boosters who were greasing guys on these teams will be just doing it in a different manner now.

Take a deep breath everyone. College sports isn't going to crumble, and dealings were not even close to ethical or righteous prior to NIL. And it's not political because there has been abuse of the system under every president and legislation for generations. It's all about the money and even under NIL, it's not going to be your Alabama starting quarterback making millions of dollars. The Jim Delaney's of the world and the bowl committee money grubbers of the world will continue to find a way to line their pockets based on other peoples' skills just like they have been for decades and decades.

And y'all are saying that it was better when they were amateurs? Please. It was better for those profiting. And man have they been profiting. Most of these kids aren't going to make more than the kid working the broil station at Applebees all year while going to school.

And don't get me wrong, there will absolutely be abuse. Have no doubt. And it will be disgusting in some cases. But there has always been abuse. Look at the shady dealings of recruiting that have been happening since the 50s (and probably earlier) dropping bags of money on prospect's front yards from passing twin prop planes.

What will be most interesting to me is to see how this plays out. Things that were "hidden" will now be in plain sight. How do schools react to each other school's NIL methods? Is there any self-policing between conferences and what could that possibly look like? How do the old millionaires and billionaires that run the networks, bowls, boosters, and schools make sure they're not taking a paycut from 20 million down to 19 million? How long will it take for the market to balance itself (and make no mistake, it will balance itself)?

Let us not forget, there is a little university in northern Indiana with a pretty solid business school that I'm sure will be a significant benefit.

Read the article. It's not the school's paying them but endorsements from companies. ND will need to set up a marketing firm just to attract the best endorsements for thier players. The school with the best endorsement deals will get the best players.
Where do you think the school's been getting the money for scholarships and luxury boxes for the past 100 years?

Wait until the players realize they need to pay self-employment tax and income tax on these deals. Also state income tax on the income. Sorry USC and UCLA and Stanford and BC for that matter.
Crazy times we live in.
I don’t like this and fear for the worst!

Wait until the players realize they need to pay self-employment tax and income tax on these deals. Also state income tax on the income. Sorry USC and UCLA and Stanford and BC for that matter.
Crazy times we live in.
That would be an education.

Crazy times we live in.
Ooppppsss. The article I read specifically stated these “goodies” would be exempt from all taxes. Like wise the fool hardy Congressional bill that will force the school to pay them and unionized. It’s time to break out the guitar and get “Dandy Don” cranked up to sing his famous melody….
“Turn out the lights, the party’s over.”

ADVERTISEMENT