ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Buchner scouting report

been watching his video footage from the elite 11 camp that started on Monday and I agree with others on other boards that his throwing has gotten worse now that he is with a new QB coach. he had a few nice passes including a 50 yd pass caught in the endzone that was pretty sweet but overall he threw a lot of passes too high that weren't being caught. sometimes I wonder why you mess with a QB's throwing motion even though it may be an odd motion when he is putting crazy numbers like Tyler did last season. would love to read thoughts from IIO and others who have watched his video from this week

When you've been playing so long with a throwing motion, trying to correct the throwing motion sometimes does not give you the reward that you expect. Sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone. Lasts, the author implied we were in a conference.

Reactions: VTND and jcswoopnh
Just out of curiosity, are you all sure he is changing his throwing motion or is this an assumption? Seems to me like he was aiming all his throws instead of ripping it.

been watching his video footage from the elite 11 camp that started on Monday and I agree with others on other boards that his throwing has gotten worse now that he is with a new QB coach. he had a few nice passes including a 50 yd pass caught in the endzone that was pretty sweet but overall he threw a lot of passes too high that weren't being caught. sometimes I wonder why you mess with a QB's throwing motion even though it may be an odd motion when he is putting crazy numbers like Tyler did last season. would love to read thoughts from IIO and others who have watched his video from this week
You hit it spot on...

There is throwing natural and throwing like out of a cookie cutter.

Throwing natural is always best. You can tweak things but you dont ever ever ever mess with someone's natural arm motion. Never.

Just because some QB coach claims to be a throwing expert doesn't make it so.

There have been many very successful throwers of the pigskin and many you'd never use as an example on how to throw...but they get it done.

Flutie, Kosar, Rivers...

did Plunkett ever throw a tight spiral?
Would you ever teach a kid to hold the football like Terry Bradshaw? Most can't even reach that far on the ball.

There is no exact science to throwing other than let them throw naturally. Not everything little thing in football needs it's own god damn special coach.

Never change throwing motion if it’s successful. Never.
If Buchner allows this to happen that’s on him

Reactions: 88ND
The elite 11 tape showed he has plenty of zip throwing 30 yard passes.
I think the throwing motion didn’t seem so smooth.
To me, the kid just seems so small.

Honestly, I think Clark may be a very good QB and tough to unseat as the QB after Book.

I think the worst thing to do is trying to get someone to do something they are clearly uncomfortable doing. In short, taking a QB who has had success with a certain throwing motion and then trying to have him change his throwing motion because it’s out of the norm. Some QBs are text book passers while others are not. However, there is plenty of evidence to show that you can be successful as a passer even though you may have a “ hitch” in your delivery. Tom Brady, Drew Brees are two passers with great technique. Bernie Kosar and Philip Rivers are two QBs who have a less than the “ ideal” throwing motion. All four are and were successful QBs. There are others as well. My point? Buchner , by all accounts has the tools to be successful as a college QB. If he has made it this far , let him play the way he is most comfortable. Trying to change now , in my opinion will not be beneficial. Tweaking is fine, reinventing at this stage isn’t.

Last edited:
Reactions: theskibro
We don't see a lot of side arm throwing QBs out there. From that small sample he has a lot to be desired on mechanics. Funny how all the anti phil trashed him on his throwing motion but with Tyler it's oklol.

We don't see a lot of side arm throwing QBs out there. From that small sample he has a lot to be desired on mechanics. Funny how all the anti phil trashed him on his throwing motion but with Tyler it's oklol.
If Phil was hitting 65% of his passes at ND in practice and games, he’d be starting.

The elite 11 tape showed he has plenty of zip throwing 30 yard passes.
I think the throwing motion didn’t seem so smooth.
To me, the kid just seems so small.

Honestly, I think Clark may be a very good QB and tough to unseat as the QB after Book.
well he is listed at 6-2 and 210 but so many of these recruiting sites for years have been a little off a little on the height and weight of these players

If Phil was hitting 65% of his passes at ND in practice and games, he’d be starting.
And you know all the stats from practice....how? Even if you knew practice stats, which you don't, what does that matter. Games stats matter. Here's PJ's.
12 15 80.0% 222 14.8 2 0 52 248.3

And you know all the stats from practice....how? Even if you knew practice stats, which you don't, what does that matter. Games stats matter. Here's PJ's.
And if he fails at BC, will you blame that on BK? Because we know if he succeeds there, you will bring it up non stop. But what if he fails, what will you say?

Phil was never going to be a QB that took ND the playoffs.

There's always the transfer portal if the current and future recruits don't pan out. LSU found a good one and got a NC.

He hasnt retired from football. We'll get to see him play

have to say, “what happened?” To TB. We went from him being heralded a once in a generation talent and messiah to a guy with question marks. Now it appears the one n only sure thing is Caleb Williams. WTF?

is this because some QB guru messed with his mechanics? What gives?

I’m still excited to have him and he seems to be a tough competitor But let’s face it, Elvis has left the building. Thoughts?

Sometimes young players look a little off at camps especially after a layoff... I don't think he was bad at the elite 11, just not as crisp as he could have been.

have to say, “what happened?” To TB. We went from him being heralded a once in a generation talent and messiah to a guy with question marks. Now it appears the one n only sure thing is Caleb Williams. WTF?

is this because some QB guru messed with his mechanics? What gives?

I’m still excited to have him and he seems to be a tough competitor But let’s face it, Elvis has left the building. Thoughts?
Overreaction from people. They didn't even have 7 on 7 which would be a better indicator of where he is. So his mechanics have been tampered with, he still has time to Improve them and he will.

Too bad there will most likely be no HS football in CA this year, Buchner was to play in a new tougher league that would have been a great test.

ADVERTISEMENT