ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Buchner Named Starting QB

"See what you got Rees" what? We averaged 30+ a game last season; seems he has shown what he's got already.
It was clearly Kelly’s offense. Same with long as OC. Rees has a pretty much full offensive control this year. Nd averages 40ppg and he will be highly sought after, nd averages 30ppg and nd fans will want him gone.

Reactions: NDinNJ
No. 88nd

Arguing with me that it wasn't going to be Buchner and that Angeli and Powlus could win the job in the spring
Yea, you have been high on TB from day one.

I am definitely a fan and expect big things from him. The run game will need to help take pressure off of him.

Yea, you have been high on TB from day one.

I am definitely a fan and expect big things from him. The run game will need to help take pressure off of him.
Fans will need to be patient with TB’s development. Relatively speaking, TB has taken very few snaps as a QB even going back to HS, And has not started a game for nearly three years.

Reactions: thebigb
Fans will need to be patient with TB’s development. Relatively speaking, TB has taken very few snaps as a QB even going back to HS, And has not started a game for nearly three years.
Fans will be patient for about 20 more days, rightfully so… but he needs to be prepared and ready for Ohio state and this 2022 season.

IMO we'll see both Buchner and Pyne on the field through the 1st Half of the season.

It was clearly Kelly’s offense. Same with long as OC. Rees has a pretty much full offensive control this year. Nd averages 40ppg and he will be highly sought after, nd averages 30ppg and nd fans will want him gone.
Coaches don't listen to fans. Freeman is clearly in charge and knows Rees is the guy to lead the offense.

Does anyone know if the team scrimmaged? Coach Freeman says TB set himself apart with his athletic ability. That is not something discovered in camp. It sounds like (as most had suspected) it was a competition in name only. None of that is a criticism since we saw a lot of them both last year (and the coaches saw more). I will be very relieved the first time TB strings together a drive with 3+ completed passes. Everyone who has seen practice says he looks very sharp. From this armchair non-expert he seems to push the ball (ie not really spinning it :) ). And last year, there was a lack of sustained drives (although there were reasons for that). Any way I have high hopes, and love the praise coming out of camp--just will feel better when I see we have a guy who can effectively spread the ball around to all these options. Because the rest of this team is pretty good.

We don't have crazy depth but we have really good talent at WR, TE, OLine, RB and a dual threat QB. Lets see what you got Rees.
The wr depth is ok as long as a boundary weapon emerges. The fact is the slot is a spot where Jayden Thomas, Lorenzo styles, and te's can fill the void. I'm actually much more concerned about the boundary where it doesn't seem that colzie has take a big step forward leaving us with a true freshmen to count on for a major part of the passing game until Joe Wilkins comes back.
IMO we'll see both Buchner and Pyne on the field through the 1st Half of the season.
If we do it's a very bad sign

Does anyone know if the team scrimmaged? Coach Freeman says TB set himself apart with his athletic ability. That is not something discovered in camp. It sounds like (as most had suspected) it was a competition in name only. None of that is a criticism since we saw a lot of them both last year (and the coaches saw more). I will be very relieved the first time TB strings together a drive with 3+ completed passes. Everyone who has seen practice says he looks very sharp. From this armchair non-expert he seems to push the ball (ie not really spinning it :) ). And last year, there was a lack of sustained drives (although there were reasons for that). Any way I have high hopes, and love the praise coming out of camp--just will feel better when I see we have a guy who can effectively spread the ball around to all these options. Because the rest of this team is pretty good.
Yes they do tons of 7-7 and 11-11. Reports are it was not a close competition in the spring but they kept saying "competition" to give Pyne the chance to show out in fall camp. Buchner simply is impressing with his arm. That's the fact. Apparently, his footwork and mechanics are all in sync and it's pretty impressive.

Yes they do tons of 7-7 and 11-11. Reports are it was not a close competition in the spring but they kept saying "competition" to give Pyne the chance to show out in fall camp. Buchner simply is impressing with his arm. That's the fact. Apparently, his footwork and mechanics are all in sync and it's pretty impressive.
Love hearing that. I’d like the post 1000 times if rivals would let me.

I’m starting to get excited about TB. Hate the pending meltdown that is coming here if tOSU game doesn’t go well.

Reactions: melstew
if I’m not mistaken this will be TB’s 3rd season with ND. He should know the system backwards and forwards. He was named the starting QB for a reason. It’s his team and I wish him the best. OSU on the road will be a huge hurdle to overcome but I expect a poised, confident and mature quarterback under center.

if I’m not mistaken this will be TB’s 3rd season with ND. He should know the system backwards and forwards. He was named the starting QB for a reason. It’s his team and I wish him the best. OSU on the road will be a huge hurdle to overcome but I expect a poised, confident and mature quarterback under center.
It's his 2nd year at Notre Dame

Reactions: mirer03 and Kelso86
Yes, mistaken.

Thanks for the sarcastic reply. I still believe we will see a poised and confident young man under center utilizing all our offensive weapons.
IMO there will be Tyler Buchner game 1 in 2022 having never started a CFB Game and having no senior season of HS Football, and Tyler Buchner game 8 in 2023. Patience required.

Reactions: 96domer
IMO there will be Tyler Buchner game 1 in 2022 having never started a CFB Game and having no senior season of HS Football, and Tyler Buchner game 8 in 2023. Patience required.
Disagree big time, he has practiced a ton at nd for two springs, in his second fall camp and played a bit last year in big moments.
Yes he should be better in 2023 than 2022, but by no means should we be patient and not see really good qb play out the gate vs osu.

Disagree big time, he has practiced a ton at nd for two springs, in his second fall camp and played a bit last year in big moments.
Yes he should be better in 2023 than 2022, but by no means should we be patient and not see really good qb play out the gate vs osu.
Well, thankfully, like me.......you're just a fan.

Well, thankfully, like me.......you're just a fan.
Hopefully the expectation is high level play from coaches on Buchner right out the gates and in 2022… 8-4 or worse would be near disaster for program, at least it would mean we made a lot of mistakes with coaching hires.

10-2 or 11-1 should happen if Buchner is qb all year and no major injury runs

Maybe not a popular take but I think the timing of the announcement had something to do with the disparity in the play calling and they need to get rolling on the RPO and QB run game before game prep. Name the guy, let's roll. Hopefully he stays up and can start every game and be the MIP on the team, because he hasn't shown anything in his limited action that screams he's gonna lead ND to the promised land.

Reactions: Kelso86 and melstew
Maybe not a popular take but I think the timing of the announcement had something to do with the disparity in the play calling and they need to get rolling on the RPO and QB run game before game prep. Name the guy, let's roll. Hopefully he stays up and can start every game and be the MIP on the team, because he hasn't shown anything in his limited action that screams he's gonna lead ND to the promised land.
Most freshman QBs don't

Reactions: sjb75
No. 88nd

Arguing with me that it wasn't going to be Buchner and that Angeli and Powlus could win the job in the spring
Allow me to better understand you....

You said Buchner had the job hook line and sinker and I merely said W(ho) the **** knows at that point and simply pointed out that Buchner could not beat out an average at best QB who was in his 17th year of eligibility..... his passing left a lot to be desired and seems to get hurt in a windy storm....

But.....

If you note...I said (many times) he MAY named the starter but to act like he's the new QB all world superstar is pretty immature....

even for you.

Sssoo ..there you go..

Allow me to better understand you....

You said Buchner had the job hook line and sinker and I merely said W(ho) the **** knows at that point and simply pointed out that Buchner could not beat out an average at best QB who was in his 17th year of eligibility..... his passing left a lot to be desired and seems to get hurt in a windy storm....

But.....

If you note...I said (many times) he MAY named the starter but to act like he's the new QB all world superstar is pretty immature....

even for you.

Sssoo ..there you go..
Yeahh okayy.

Let me know when Powlus gets that start this year

I agree on need to not keep rotating packages
Disagree on him not showing anything. He showed immense talent running and good arm strength. Now, can he put it together and be a qb for 60 minutes or “3.5-4 hours” that’s what hasn’t been seen by fans. I have concerns over him fitting passes into tight windows and consistent short game passes.
We will see in 19 days

Next to no chance to beat osu with any other qb on our roster

Reactions: Telx1 and melstew
Does anyone else get some Wimbush vibes with Buchner? Big arm, fast, athletic, but not real accurate. My guess is we haven't heard the last of Pyne.

Does anyone else get some Wimbush vibes with Buchner? Big arm, fast, athletic, but not real accurate. My guess is we haven't heard the last of Pyne.
Totally different players. Buchner is a willing runner, wimbush was a breakout runner. Wimbush was raw with a cannon, buchner has real pocket skills with strong anticipation and arm talent.

Wimbush was ruined by Mike Sanford to the point he couldn't throw screen passes. Buchner seems to have gotten his feet and throwing in sync.

Totally different players. Buchner is a willing runner, wimbush was a breakout runner. Wimbush was raw with a cannon, buchner has real pocket skills with strong anticipation and arm talent.

Wimbush was ruined by Mike Sanford to the point he couldn't throw screen passes. Buchner seems to have gotten his feet and throwing in sync.
Sounds like there is reason to be pretty damn excited about TB. He’s a difference maker that teams have to prep for.

From your keyboard to God's ears. Thanks for this perspective, that sounds fantastic.

Reactions: tbone3114
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT