ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler Buchner Injured

irish4life88

Irish Expert
Jan 26, 2020
I was wondering why he didn't play after the long run when we were backed up. Then I heard he injured his hamstring. How bad? Not sure have not heard anything more.

Not good. We need him against Wisconsin to mix things up. If they know it’s just Coan, we are very one dimensional. Our OL will get dominated by Wisconsin’s DL. We need mobility and quick release of the football or its going to be punt city.

We definitely need Buchner. But Coan was good in the 2nd half. Between the drops and the ol issues he played solid all things considered
Yep. I think Coan as starter and getting Buchner in the game to mix things up is good strategy and good for the program. Buchner is making a big difference in the outcome of these games, while gaining valuable experience for next year. When he comes in, the defense is totally confused. They know he will likely run, but they can’t stop him regardless. He’s a true freshman that didn’t play football last year and he’s stiff arming senior defensive players to he ground. And correct me if I’m wrong, but his first career pass, although it was some odd sidearm and ugly, was a huge touchdown.

Yep. I think Coan as starter and getting Buchner in the game to mix things up is good strategy and good for the program. Buchner is making a big difference in the outcome of these games, while gaining valuable experience for next year. When he comes in, the defense is totally confused. They know he will likely run, but they can’t stop him regardless. He’s a true freshman that didn’t play football last year and he’s stiff arming senior defensive players to he ground. And correct me if I’m wrong, but his first career pass, although it was some odd sidearm and ugly, was a huge touchdown.
His first pass was like a 10 yard completion to Lenzy I believe

He dropped dimes to Davis and Lenzy (drop) but he seemed to rush a couple of his overthrows (Austin 2, Lenzy) -- because of Oline breakdown and DLine pressure....

Still, he can really sling it. Our playmakers have to make plays.

Reactions: mirer03 and 4-4-3
He was 3-3 on his first drive. He also had a really nice ball on 3-7 we needed against FSU. He actually has thrown well the few times they asked him to toss it.

They will need to let Tyler throw it more in his package. I agree. That will set up the run game.

USC's Dart is a true Freshman (who graduated a year early from high school) and he looked damn good yesterday when SLovis went down.

Is it just me, or does it feel like Slovis has been their QB for like 6 years
It seems like USC always starts the season with a hot shot returning starter who’s going to save the program but ends up playing very poorly, getting hurt, having the freshman come in and become the hot shot savior who’s going to save the program. Rinse, repeat.

No. Coan is the starter. Buchner is a good change of pace guy right now
The problem with the change of pace is the other team is going to know what Buchner is going to do . You need to have him with a complete play book to use

I was wondering why he didn't play after the long run when we were backed up. Then I heard he injured his hamstring. How bad? Not sure have not heard anything more.
That’s ok, we have Jack Coan and Drew Pyne.😉

Last edited:
The problem with the change of pace is the other team is going to know what Buchner is going to do . You need to have him with a complete play book to use
He can throw when he's in there. I'm just saying he doesn't have to stay in there. They can use them both to their strengths and then throw with Buchner as well to keep the d guessing

Not a fan of the two QB play.

Coan is all ND needs to beat Wisconsin. I am a huge TB fan but there was no reason to play him yesterday.

I like to believe (hope) that they have been holding off him passing until the big games....

Hasn’t mattered up to this point. I think Toledo was a little surprised he threw the ball to Kyren for a touchdown.

people need to remember that ND is 2-1 without Buchner. That’s not even a question. Given that, I’m not sure how the hell anyone is criticizing the coaches for playing him. Unless of course you’d rather be 2-1.

That’s ok, we have Jack Coan and Drew Pyne.😉
Coan is good. I think Drew could even fill in as a sub Buchner player. Obviously not the size of Buchner. I'm very excited about Buchner now after a few games. Get him an OL and watch out!

I think they need to leave Buchner in the game until a defense can stop him. Up to this point, I haven’t seen that happen.
I think Kelly has 4 priorities now.
1 Win
2 Cook up an OL
3 Find the right Defense
4 Protect the confidence of Buchner

Number one is number one. 2 and 3 will work themselves out as the respective teams work together and gel. Number 4 is where Kelly coaches. Right now, it appears TB is a confident QB so Kelly is doing a great job. The problem would be if Buchner were to lose a game where his RB drops the ball, as almost happened, or a pass bounces off his receiver into the hands of a defender and TB loses a game. Even though they aren't TB's fault, they would affect his confidence.

All that said, Kelly is doing an outstanding job coaching up his young QB and getting him prepped while winning all his games. Not an easy task.

I think Kelly has 4 priorities now.
1 Win
2 Cook up an OL
3 Find the right Defense
4 Protect the confidence of Buchner

Number one is number one. 2 and 3 will work themselves out as the respective teams work together and gel. Number 4 is where Kelly coaches. Right now, it appears TB is a confident QB so Kelly is doing a great job. The problem would be if Buchner were to lose a game where his RB drops the ball, as almost happened, or a pass bounces off his receiver into the hands of a defender and TB loses a game. Even though they aren't TB's fault, they would affect his confidence.

All that said, Kelly is doing an outstanding job coaching up his young QB and getting him prepped while winning all his games. Not an easy task.
I don't think Kyren's fumble would hurt Buchner's pride at all. That makes no sense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT