ADVERTISEMENT

Two years in a row- now its official

hoopsstar12

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 16, 2008
ND barely misses out on the top RB in the country. Nick Singleton was just upgraded to a 5 star and the top RB prospect. Maybe if PSU has another bad or mediocre season he can be pulled away?

We won’t recruit at an elite level offensively until we have a sexy OC hire that can easily convince blue chip recruits that he’s their ticket to the NFL. TR is not that man. In fact, he’s a young adult. Good coach or not, Tony Elliot and Kevin Wilson are much more experienced and savvy recruiters than Tommy Reese may ever be. And getting out done by Penn State tells you a lot as well.

Our offensive recruiting is lackluster and it likely will continue to be for a long time. Brian Kelly will not win a national championship unless he has the balls to part ways and bring in a $2 million offensive coordinator like he did on the defense. That’s my honest opinion and I think I’m likely right about that.

Kelly knows this is a problem and a thorn in his ass and that is why he poached that coordinator of recruiting from Tennessee. I think it was a smart idea but I really don’t think it’s gonna make much of a difference kids need to see an offensive coordinator that is flashy and has coached some outstanding NFL talent on the office of side of the ball at the skill positions.

my concern is less at running back and more the lack of five star wide receivers that are needed to beat Alabama, Ohio state.

Last edited:
We won’t recruit at an elite level offensively until we have a sexy OC hire that can easily convince blue chip recruits that he’s their ticket to the NFL. TR is not that man. In fact, he’s a young adult. Good coach or not, Tony Elliot and Kevin Wilson are much more experienced and savvy recruiters than Tommy Reese may ever be. And getting out done by Penn State tells you a lot as well.

Our offensive recruiting is lackluster and it likely will continue to be for a long time. Brian Kelly will not win a national championship unless he has the balls to part ways and bring in a $2 million offensive coordinator like he did on the defense. That’s my honest opinion and I think I’m likely right about that.
Blah,blah,blah. Someone needs new material. Tony
Elliot and Kevin Wilson were both in the playoff last year. So was the guy you put down at every opportunity. Money doesn't guarantee anything.

Elliot and Kevin Wilson were both in the playoff last year. So was the guy you put down at every opportunity. Money doesn't guarantee anything.
It helps with the recruiting. But you are one of those that is happy with just making a playoff so I can see your point

It helps with the recruiting. But you are one of those that is happy with just making a playoff so I can see your point
For the record Kevin Wilson is not the QB coach at OSU nor the playcaller. Ryan Day does it. It's the reason Mike Yurcich left. Guys want to call games.

Reactions: Kelso86
Yeah I mean he glaringly ignores that three years ago we got the #1 apb.

Getting a #1 rb once every three years is pretty good. Yeah Taylor needs to win one of these but we are competing for the best...

Reactions: Classic Irish
ND is pretty loaded at RB, Williams Tyree is a good pairing. The guy from Jersey will impress.
I would not say ND is loaded at RB other than this upcoming year. Williams could definitely be gone after this year. Tyree is a good back but probably not the workhorse that Williams is. TBD on everyone else. I have some hope for Estime though. With that said, a top 2022 or 2023 RB should see immediate opportunities for major PT.

I think its an in state kid choosing the in state program but if PSU starts losing I would go after him again. No doubt.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I think its an in state kid choosing the in state program but if PSU starts losing I would go after him again. No doubt.
Penn state typically has the easiest non conference schedule so they almost always start off with a good record. They open at Wisconsin, then play auburn 3rd game of year. First 3 games of the year will dictate their season.

Penn state typically has the easiest non conference schedule so they almost always start off with a good record. They open at Wisconsin, then play auburn 3rd game of year. First 3 games of the year will dictate their season.
Agreed but dont underestimate Auburn.

If Clay Helton falters this season IMO James Franklin is the first phone call for USC.

That will be interesting if it occurs.

Kelly knows this is a problem and a thorn in his ass and that is why he poached that coordinator of recruiting from Tennessee. I think it was a smart idea but I really don’t think it’s gonna make much of a difference kids need to see an offensive coordinator that is flashy and has coached some outstanding NFL talent on the office of side of the ball at the skill positions.

my concern is less at running back and more the lack of five star wide receivers that are needed to beat Alabama, Ohio state.
I'm in total agreement. But bring on the bashing by the Rees/Kelly Homer's. You're not a fan you're just a hater that knows nothing. REES RULES!

But hiring a OC with Zero experience will guarantee a 2-3 year learning curve no matter how talented the young coach is. It's called experience. If I said it once I said it a hundred times. ND is not the place cut your coaching chops on. I'm sure Rees will become a great coach in a few years at NDs expense.

But hiring a OC with Zero experience will guarantee a 2-3 year learning curve no matter how talented the young coach is. It's called experience. If I said it once I said it a hundred times. ND is not the place cut your coaching chops on. I'm sure Rees will become a great coach in a few years at NDs expense.

Making the playoff 2 out of 3 years doesn't help recruiting ? Pay attention.
I doesn't hurt but when we are getting our doors blown off I'm sure it doesn't help and the other elite schools that we compete against are using that as a tool against us.

I agree with you other than Kelly is an OC himself so the offense will always have extra attention.

My problem with Rees is the 2022 skill position recruiting (TE, QB, RB, WR) is horrendous. Possibly the worst of the kelly era. that has to change ASAP. Other than TE position and i do think we found diamond in rough with walker it's real real bad. Price and Angeli IMHO should hardly ever see the field at ND. I do like our TEs though. He has to end this class strong on offense or it will set us back in a few years.

Reactions: NotreDame du Lac
I agree with you other than Kelly is an OC himself so the offense will always have extra attention.

My problem with Rees is the 2022 skill position recruiting (TE, QB, RB, WR) is horrendous. Possibly the worst of the kelly era. that has to change ASAP. Other than TE position and i do think we found diamond in rough with walker it's real real bad. Price and Angeli IMHO should hardly ever see the field at ND. I do like our TEs though. He has to end this class strong on offense or it will set us back in a few years.
Class isn't over yet

He’s almost 2 years in. The hard part is over. All upside from here.

The growing pains were getting to the playoffs.

He’s almost 2 years in. The hard part is over. All upside from here.

The growing pains were getting to the playoffs.
With our schedule last year and the talent on the field we should have made the playoffs. Yes proof is in the pudding but if we don't see some serious growth then we should be open to replacements. But Kelly has a habit of not making changes when needed. See Van Gorder.

I think the most effect will and has been in recruiting. But echo and others believe he is the next urban Meyer. I guess we'll see.

I think the most effect will and has been in recruiting. But echo and others believe he is the next urban Meyer. I guess we'll see.
There are at least 25 OC in the country that are better coaches, have more experience and can recruit better than TR. The great teams have offensive coordinators that don’t last long. Then they replace them once they become head coaches with another best OC. Nobody is trying to make TR their head coach. Teams like Alabama hire Steve Sarkisian and allow him to step up his career. We are doing that on defense, not offense. Freeman shouldn’t last 2 years at ND. If he does, somethings wrong. You need both to win a championship. You can’t play loyal to my staff games and expect to win a title. It’s a business. Someone chooses to do what it takes to win. Others just compete. We are happy with getting there. This junk about how ND expects to win a title every year has been the mantra since the 80’s. Difference is, Lou knew it took being better at everything that everyone else to achieve that. Saban knows that. I like BK a lot. One reason I like him is he adapts and changes. But I think he may not adapt soon enough with offensive staff and that will keep Norte Dame from winning at least during his era at ND.

We should drop the hammer and hire someone like Jim Cheney, Kendall Briles, Phil Longo, Andy Ludwig, David Yost. A guy that could recruit and certainly wouldn’t be a step down from TR. Pair that with Freeman on defense and we might be able to start talking about competing with Bama in a couple years after top 5 recruiting classes and fantastic development of blue chip offensive players that will play on Sundays. ND may not have a chance like this again for decades. BK has some good things going on right now. Momentum from playoff appearances. A sexy D coordinator hire. And a good culture. Tr is the weak link just like he was in 2012.

Last edited:
Reactions: irish4life9999

You might ultimately be right Nasty, but a bit premature to be reaching this conclusion. No question that defense recruiting for 22 is doing a lot better than offense as of today, but let’s see how this all plays out.

At what expense? What's the record so far with Rees as OC? You're acting like Rees cost us a NC. Give it a rest already.

At what expense? What's the record so far with Rees as OC? You're acting like Rees cost us a NC. Give it a rest already.
The cost? Staying the same. Where we beat the teams we should but get absolutely smoked in the ones that really count. I thought we were trying to "close the gap". This is no bash on Rees but of we wanted to really take the next step we should have hired a proven coach. If you are cool with the same ol then Rees is your guy.

The cost? Staying the same. Where we beat the teams we should but get absolutely smoked in the ones that really count. I thought we were trying to "close the gap". This is no bash on Rees but of we wanted to really take the next step we should have hired a proven coach. If you are cool with the same then Rees is your guy.
There are at least 25 OC in the country that are better coaches, have more experience and can recruit better than TR. The great teams have offensive coordinators that don’t last long. Then they replace them once they become head coaches with another best OC. Nobody is trying to make TR their head coach. Teams like Alabama hire Steve Sarkisian and allow him to step up his career. We are doing that on defense, not offense. Freeman shouldn’t last 2 years at ND. If he does, somethings wrong. You need both to win a championship. You can’t play loyal to my staff games and expect to win a title. It’s a business. Someone chooses to do what it takes to win. Others just compete. We are happy with getting there. This junk about how ND expects to win a title every year has been the mantra since the 80’s. Difference is, Lou knew it took being better at everything that everyone else to achieve that. Saban knows that. I like BK a lot. One reason I like him is he adapts and changes. But I think he may not adapt soon enough with offensive staff and that will keep Norte Dame from winning at least during his era at ND.

We should drop the hammer and hire someone like Jim Cheney, Kendall Briles, Phil Longo, Andy Ludwig, David Yost. A guy that could recruit and certainly wouldn’t be a step down from TR. Pair that with Freeman on defense and we might be able to start talking about competing with Bama in a couple years after top 5 recruiting classes and fantastic development of blue chip offensive players that will play on Sundays. ND may not have a chance like this again for decades. BK has some good things going on right now. Momentum from playoff appearances. A sexy D coordinator hire. And a good culture. Tr is the weak link just like he was in 2012.
My question for all those saying Rees is such a fantastic coach and we're lucky to have him. Then why wasn't he even in the top 25 for the Broyles award? Not even a mention..

Reactions: NotreDame du Lac
You might ultimately be right Nasty, but a bit premature to be reaching this conclusion. No question that defense recruiting for 22 is doing a lot better than offense as of today, but let’s see how this all plays out.
Yep, there’s hope to finish strong but to date, it’s been poor

Yep, there’s hope to finish strong but to date, it’s been poor
Right now we have 3 good OL, 2 really good TEs, possibly a gem at wr, and a solid to really good rb (we will see)

We just have to close. There are elites wrs left on the board that we lead for. We can take 2 more good OL. Then try to flip a RB.

Lot of time to land a really good offensive class

Right now we have 3 good OL, 2 really good TEs, possibly a gem at wr, and a solid to really good rb (we will see)

We just have to close. There are elites wrs left on the board that we lead for. We can take 2 more good OL. Then try to flip a RB.

Lot of time to land a really good offensive class
We have a possible at wr, and a average rb and qb. Need much more at the positions

Average to you at RB. Doesnt mean he is average.

Plenty out there at wr to do that
Watching price b-ball highlights or lack there of gave me confirmation Of my view. Price should have been able to dominate athletically even if not skilled at bball like sneed, but he didn’t and can’t because he all he has is descent straight line speed.

Watching price b-ball highlights or lack there of gave me confirmation Of my view. Price should have been able to dominate athletically even if not skilled at bball like sneed, but he didn’t and can’t because he all he has is descent straight line speed.
You’ll forget more about football than I’ll ever know, but I strongly disagree here. Don’t use basketball as a gauge. The sports are just too different.

You’ll forget more about football than I’ll ever know, but I strongly disagree here. Don’t use basketball as a gauge. The sports are just too different.
Not gauging his bball skill and correlating to football….gauging his movement and athleticism on the court. You can see quickness, jumping, balance, agility on bball court. I Don’t see it.

I remember watching Robby parris and John Ryan play basketball in HS when they were committed to ND. Said same thing about them and got roasted. They ended up being two of the most unathletic players at their position and did not make a positive impact on the field.
We have 2-3 lbs with better athleticism and agility committed this class than price.

ADVERTISEMENT