ADVERTISEMENT

Top 5 Excuses from the whiny ND fan base

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
About the only person not making excuses for not winning a National Championship is the guy (Brian Kelly) who has done more to put ND back on the College Football map, and in the National Championship discussion. 1994-2009 was a complete embarrassment.

The handful of meathead cranks who take issue with Brian Kelly, are the equivalent of the 2 year old in the restaurant booster seat throwing food and banging the utensils for attention. Just a immature pack of football dimwits, future fast workers who are still looking for their first date.

Now...

Excuse/Whine #1- The College Football Super Powers CHEAT

Here is the deal. PROVE IT. And if you can PROVE IT. Report them to the NCAA. Otherwise shut up because it sounds like whining. And a personal note, Only in the stupid world of the NCAA is helping out a poor family with a meal, airline ticket, financing for a vehicle, a mortgage for home considered tawdry or dishonest. In every other walk of life it is good tidings.

Excuse/Whine #2 - The College Football Super Powers DO NOT care about academics.

ND fans act like every ND player is Pre-Med or studying to be a Nuclear Physicist. And every player that plays for Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma are taking Basket Weaving and TV. It s arrogant, its elitist, it's whiny and complete BS.

Excuse/ Whine #3- The College Football Super Powers allow ONLINE CLASSES
Here is some breaking news. We have something called the Internet. And it has been around for over 20 years, For the exact date ask Al Gore. But we have millions of people finishing Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees online. Embrace change, embrace technology, or get left in the dust. This doesn't pass the smell test as a legit reason

Excuse/ Whine #4 -The College Football Super Powers are more COMMITTED/OBSESSED about winning National Championships.

This is total BS as well. Lou was committed to bringing ND back to the top. The program Lou had in his cross hairs was Miami. Lou was obsessed in bringing in players that could match Miami's speed and athleticism. And from 1988 to 1993 he did. ND can be just as committed as Clemson, Alabama, OSU ect. ND chooses not to be. That is not an excuse. That is incompetence.

Excuse/Whine #5- The Football Super Powers have too many 4-5 star players.

This is the most laughable of them all. All you bean counter, star gazers are totally full of hot air. Sure maybe the Super Powers have more talent 1-85. But last i checked only 22 players are on the field at any given time. So, i do not care if the 4th String RB on Alabama is a STUD. If he is not on the field carrying the ball it does not matter.

Did a lack of talent and (Star Ratings) cause ND to commit 1000 false start penalties vs Georgia? This is complete BS. The talent gap between ND and the College Football Powers is NOT an excuse for not winning a National Championship.

The expectations should be a National Title period. This season was a missed opportunity and should have been a playoff team. BUT the overall play of the offensive line and the play of the QB vs the best 3 opponents (Georgia, USC, Michigan) was not close to good enough.

But how about a 10-2 ND team not celebrating the season? That in itself has not been seen around here in 25 years! You know where else 2 loss teams are feeling down on themselves??????Tuscaloosa, Alabama & Athens, Georgia That's where Brian Kelly has taken this program.

About the only person not making excuses for not winning a National Championship is the guy (Brian Kelly) who has done more to put ND back on the College Football map, and in the National Championship discussion. 1994-2009 was a complete embarrassment.

The handful of meathead cranks who take issue with Brian Kelly, are the equivalent of the 2 year old in the restaurant booster seat throwing food and banging the utensils for attention. Just a immature pack of football dimwits, future fast workers who are still looking for their first date.

Now...

Excuse/Whine #1- The College Football Super Powers CHEAT

Here is the deal. PROVE IT. And if you can PROVE IT. Report them to the NCAA. Otherwise shut up because it sounds like whining. And a personal note, Only in the stupid world of the NCAA is helping out a poor family with a meal, airline ticket, financing for a vehicle, a mortgage for home considered tawdry or dishonest. In every other walk of life it is good tidings.

Excuse/Whine #2 - The College Football Super Powers DO NOT care about academics.

ND fans act like every ND player is Pre-Med or studying to be a Nuclear Physicist. And every player that plays for Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Georgia, Oklahoma are taking Basket Weaving and TV. It s arrogant, its elitist, it's whiny and complete BS.

Excuse/ Whine #3- The College Football Super Powers allow ONLINE CLASSES
Here is some breaking news. We have something called the Internet. And it has been around for over 20 years, For the exact date ask Al Gore. But we have millions of people finishing Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees online. Embrace change, embrace technology, or get left in the dust. This doesn't pass the smell test as a legit reason

Excuse/ Whine #4 -The College Football Super Powers are more COMMITTED/OBSESSED about winning National Championships.

This is total BS as well. Lou was committed to bringing ND back to the top. The program Lou had in his cross hairs was Miami. Lou was obsessed in bringing in players that could match Miami's speed and athleticism. And from 1988 to 1993 he did. ND can be just as committed as Clemson, Alabama, OSU ect. ND chooses not to be. That is not an excuse. That is incompetence.

Excuse/Whine #5- The Football Super Powers have too many 4-5 star players.

This is the most laughable of them all. All you bean counter, star gazers are totally full of hot air. Sure maybe the Super Powers have more talent 1-85. But last i checked only 22 players are on the field at any given time. So, i do not care if the 4th String RB on Alabama is a STUD. If he is not on the field carrying the ball it does not matter.

Did a lack of talent and (Star Ratings) cause ND to commit 1000 false start penalties vs Georgia? This is complete BS. The talent gap between ND and the College Football Powers is NOT an excuse for not winning a National Championship.

The expectations should be a National Title period. This season was a missed opportunity and should have been a playoff team. BUT the overall play of the offensive line and the play of the QB vs the best 3 opponents (Georgia, USC, Michigan) was not close to good enough.

But how about a 10-2 ND team not celebrating the season? That in itself has not been seen around here in 25 years! You know where else 2 loss teams are feeling down on themselves??????Tuscaloosa, Alabama & Athens, Georgia That's where Brian Kelly has taken this program.
Need some cheese to go with the whine!

Great post!
Get ready for Twalsh, ClassicIrish, Golson, Catholic, Zorich and all of the other apologists to call you an imbecile, troll,etc because, after all, we won 10 games and we're going to the camping bowl! Yippee!

Last edited:
Great post!
Get ready for Twalsh, Golson, Catholic, Zorich and all of the other apologists to call you an imbecile, troll,etc because, after all, we won 10 games and we're going to the camping bowl! Yippee!

We won ten games for three straight seasons and have played for the NC twice in the past seven years. Maybe you need to pull for Bama or Clemson, as those are the only two schools which have satisfied your lofty expectations.

We won ten games for three straight seasons and have played for the NC twice in the past seven years. Maybe you need to pull for Bama or Clemson, as those are the only two schools which have satisfied your lofty expectations.
Zero Natty's in 30 years. Lots of schools have satisfied my expectations since then. ND's self admitted expectation is the same as mine but apparently not yours.
And come now, this was a hollow 10 win season.

First off, you would do well by just once trying not to insult and talk down to everyone on the board with your every post. It just makes you sound like a complete and utter blowhard.

I agree that many Notre Dame fans make too much of what other schools do or do not do. That's the beauty of college football. Schools and programs come in all sorts of shapes and sizes with various expectations.

However, I would argue that having a roster of 85 4 and 5-star players is better than having a roster of 3 and 4-star players. It's one of the reasons that Lou Holtz fielded teams that competed with anyone -- even if in many years they lost two or three games. And there is a reason why the performance of Holtz's teams fell off drastically his final few years: The university tightened its admission policies and clamped down on the number of marginal players admitted.

I would also agree that Brian Kelly is a good coach. His strength is in building a very solid program much like coaches at many other schools have done. But among his weaknesses are that what you see at the beginning of the season is often what you see at the end. The team is businesslike, but often lacking in urgency. It's okay to lose to Michigan in a night game in the rain or to a pumped up Miami team on a hot, humid night. It is not okay to show up with absolutely no Plan B.

You cite the false start penalties. But at some point, you have to recognize that you can't have that many false starts and do something about it. So, a fan like me will ask, at what point does general manager Kelly camp out with the offensive line at practice and light a fire under their asses or hold the position coach responsible?

Kelly is better than what we have had, although I'd argue that if Bob Davie had been given 10 years, he might have finally come to understand the importance of paying some attention to the offensive side of the ball and done as well.

After 10 years, we all should know that Kelly is a top second-tier coach, but he is never going to take us to the promised land. That said, don't be surprised if after he leaves that we don't get someone half as good.

Reactions: theskibro
First off, you would do well by just once trying not to insult and talk down to everyone on the board with your every post. It just makes you sound like a complete and utter blowhard.

I agree that many Notre Dame fans make too much of what other schools do or do not do. That's the beauty of college football. Schools and programs come in all sorts of shapes and sizes with various expectations.

However, I would argue that having a roster of 85 4 and 5-star players is better than having a roster of 3 and 4-star players. It's one of the reasons that Lou Holtz fielded teams that competed with anyone -- even if in many years they lost two or three games. And there is a reason why the performance of Holtz's teams fell off drastically his final few years: The university tightened its admission policies and clamped down on the number of marginal players admitted.

I would also agree that Brian Kelly is a good coach. His strength is in building a very solid program much like coaches at many other schools have done. But among his weaknesses are that what you see at the beginning of the season is often what you see at the end. The team is businesslike, but often lacking in urgency. It's okay to lose to Michigan in a night game in the rain or to a pumped up Miami team on a hot, humid night. It is not okay to show up with absolutely no Plan B.

You cite the false start penalties. But at some point, you have to recognize that you can't have that many false starts and do something about it. So, a fan like me will ask, at what point does general manager Kelly camp out with the offensive line at practice and light a fire under their asses or hold the position coach responsible?

Kelly is better than what we have had, although I'd argue that if Bob Davie had been given 10 years, he might have finally come to understand the importance of paying some attention to the offensive side of the ball and done as well.

After 10 years, we all should know that Kelly is a top second-tier coach, but he is never going to take us to the promised land. That said, don't be surprised if after he leaves that we don't get someone half as good.

this. Great comment HDK
“First off, you would do well by just once trying not to insult and talk down to everyone on the board with your every post. It just makes you sound like a complete and utter blowhard.”

to the OP
Don’t bother posting trash like your condescending post. It’s garbage

Kelly? Good coach
Expectations? Always high at ND whether you r a player, fan, follower. If that ever changes, it’s over.

whiners ? Who are you labeling here? If you think there are a small handful of ND nation that criticize and as you disparagingly call whiners, think again. The overwhelming majority of ND nation has high expectations and say it. If you want a participation trophy root for a Charley Brown team

this. Great comment HDK
“First off, you would do well by just once trying not to insult and talk down to everyone on the board with your every post. It just makes you sound like a complete and utter blowhard.”

to the OP
Don’t bother posting trash like your condescending post. It’s garbage

Kelly? Good coach
Expectations? Always high at ND whether you r a player, fan, follower. If that ever changes, it’s over.

whiners ? Who are you labeling here? If you think there are a small handful of ND nation that criticize and as you disparagingly call whiners, think again. The overwhelming majority of ND nation has high expectations and say it. If you want a participation trophy root for a Charley Brown team
Ouch!

Another apologist that's happy with ten wins. When did ten wins become a thing anyway? You can be 10-4 with 71% win percentage and 3/4 of the schedule are free wins.
Do they give trophies for ten wins?
10 and 3
12 and 1
11 and 2

33 and 6

That's impressive. 2 bowl wins. 1 playoff appearance.

10 plus wins last 3 seasons. Only 5 other teams have done that...

10 and 3
12 and 1
11 and 2

33 and 6

That's impressive. 2 bowl wins. 1 playoff appearance.

10 plus wins last 3 seasons. Only 5 other teams have done that...
It depends how you look at it. This is ND football!

Three questions:
You're already counting the bowl win?
Are you happy/satisfied?
Do you realistically believe they are on par with the best programs and are a serious threat to win a natty in the next 2-3 yrs?

My answer to the last two questions is emphatic no.

Another apologist that's happy with ten wins. When did ten wins become a thing anyway? You can be 10-4 with 71% win percentage and 3/4 of the schedule are free wins.
Do they give trophies for ten wins?
How typical a response.

I'm on record on this board as saying BK is a great coach but not elite and that I don't feel he can win the NC. There, are you happy? He rebuilt the program and for that we should be grateful. You mention that 3/4 of the schedule are "free wins", yet you do realize our SOS is about 14th?

It's not easy to win a Natty, because only five teams have done it in the past ten years and two of them have won seven of those. There are about 4-5 teams that can do it even before the season begins and then there's the rest of the field. That's pretty much year in and year out.

Reactions: Classic Irish

Three questions:
Are you happy/satisfied?
Do you realistically believe they are on par with the best programs and are a serious threat to win a natty in the next 2-3 yrs?

When were you last happy/satisfied?
Have you ever been happy/satisfied?
Think about that for a moment.
If the answer is 1988, what do you realistically have the power to change?

Three questions:
Are you happy/satisfied?

1. Yes I'm counting the bowl win. I expect to win these games watching the last 3 years.

2. Im not happy/ satisfied. Im excited for the future. I like the way the program is going the last 3 years. I can see the momentum. I see kelly building a legit program and a ten plus win team year in year out.

3. We're not on par with the top 6 programs. We're in the 7 to 12 range. And its clear the last 3 years we are improving, building, getting closer. We need to keep recruiting, improve the staff in a couple areas and land the QB (Buchner). Do those things and we could be on par with the elite programs

Watching yesterday's games I do believe there is a talent gap. Whereas we have one 5* in Hamilton, LSU has several on d.... We have no 5* talent on offense, OSU and Clemson have a bunch... I did a little internet surfing... LSU's recruiting numbers over the last few years was off the charts, two top 2 finishes, another in the top ten... Same with Clemson, same with Alabama and Georgia (coaching sucks)... Not so with Wisconsin, Virginia, Baylor and it was obvious as the day wore on... Same with us vs. those types of teams.

Am I calling for Kelly to be fired? Absolutely not.

We are better now than we've been since 1993... And our recruiting numbers are currently up. Our model has to remain:

Keeping guys for 4-5 years.
Having one of the top offensive lines in the country (we definitely miss Harry!)
Stellar -- I mean Burrows-type QB -- play. I think Ian can get there next year.
A solid defense. (Clark Lea is a really good coach.) Recruit! We need CBs!!!! Watch LSU, they had their hands on every single throw!)
A couple of elite playmakers. Dexter Williams/Will Fuller/Michael Floyd/ -- Chase was close.

I think IIO said it in a post after Michigan. We need great QB play, not good, great. Along with a great offensive line and a solid defense.

I do think we are close and getting closer.

Watching yesterday's games I do believe there is a talent gap. Whereas we have one 5* in Hamilton, LSU has several on d.... We have no 5* talent on offense, OSU and Clemson have a bunch... I did a little internet surfing... LSU's recruiting numbers over the last few years was off the charts, two top 2 finishes, another in the top ten... Same with Clemson, same with Alabama and Georgia (coaching sucks)... Not so with Wisconsin, Virginia, Baylor and it was obvious as the day wore on... Same with us vs. those types of teams.

We are better now than we've been since 1993... And our recruiting numbers are currently up. Our model has to remain:

Having one of the top offensive lines in the country (we definitely miss Harry!)
A solid defense. (Clark Lea is a really good coach.) Recruit! We need CBs!!!! Watch LSU, they had their hands on every single throw!)
A couple of elite playmakers. Dexter Williams/Will Fuller/Michael Floyd/ -- Chase was close.

I think IIO said it in a post after Michigan. We need great QB play, not good, great. Along with a great offensive line and a solid defense.

I agree with everything you said here except Ian can get to Burrow level qb play. I dont think he has that ability in him. Nothing against Ian, just not the most talented individual. He can improve his game, but not to that elite level imo. That will hold us back some

I hope you are wrong, Golson -- he'd be the first Kelly QB to start three years with the same offensive coordinator... He moves very well, can make the short throws, and was better this year on the long ones with, (except for Chase and Kmet when healthy), inferior to top teams' WR talent...

Did a quick look at the team recruiting rankings going back to 2015 of the final four teams:

2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
LSU 8 5 8 14 3
OSU 9 3 2 2 21
Clem 4 6 22 8 9
OU 14 16 7 8 5

ND 11 13 13 11 14

Only Oklahoma had more than one year outside the top ten (twice). And when you admit five 5* players like Clemson did in 2018 (and I believe again this year) it is going to be hard for ND to compete.

I believe we need to do what OU is doing -- get inside the top ten 2 or 3 times every five years.... And yes, inside the top 5 once.

I don't agree with Chase that this means we should fire Kelly. But I do believe he has to do better. It is tough. Yes there are academic restrictions and of all of those places (sorry South Benders) South Bend is not the first choice of a place you'd want to live (not a college town at all like Columbus, or Baton Rouge or even Norman/Okla City....)

I do believe we can get there with Kelly.... I'd hate to go back to the beginning again... it took 25 years last time!!!

I essentially agree with you regarding the formula and expectations for success at ND. I agree that ND is no doubt improved and improving.

There can be no doubt, as well, that the rate in which the top 3-4 are improving is accelerating faster than ND. Critics fairly note a talent gap that doesn’t appear to be closing. Despite consistent Irish improvement, catching the top 4 will require a commitment we all suspect ND is unlikely to make. It is fair to debate whether they should.

With the offensive line we have already (or coming) I believe Tyree, Johnson, Mayer, Buchner, Styles, Colzie and, fingers crossed, Shipley (we are still right there for him, go Lance!)... gives us top 4 talent, don't you?

IIO -- what say you?

I can't remember a time that ND had this kind of offensive firepower across the board -- maybe 1990 when we had Mirer, Ismail, Watters, Bettis, Culver, Dawson, Brown, Smith.... (I like the potential of 2020-21 receivers better!)

With the offensive line we have already (or coming) I believe Tyree, Johnson, Mayer, Buchner, Styles, Colzie and, fingers crossed, Shipley (we are still right there for him, go Lance!)... gives us top 4 talent, don't you?

IIO -- what say you?

I can't remember a time that ND had this kind of offensive firepower across the board -- maybe 1990 when we had Mirer, Ismail, Watters, Bettis, Culver, Dawson, Brown, Smith.... (I like the potential of 2020-21 receivers better!)

Don
first of all, yes we have good receivers coming in but the common problem with receivers is the same one affecting top QBs —. Vision

in the case of receivers Rocket had unreal vision. Speed was ridiculous. Yet it was his vision that enabled him to find creases and go the distance. Top receivers rarely have that type of vision. It’s rare. Like Rocket

QBs same thing except vision correlates to multiple reads and finding the open receivers or crease. Ian Book does not have this. In year 2 there were high expectations and he was bad until Va Tech. Got better. Still missed big plays. I hope he does not come back. Just my opinion.

Reactions: 88ND
Zero Natty's in 30 years. Lots of schools have satisfied my expectations since then. ND's self admitted expectation is the same as mine but apparently not yours.

"Zero Natty's in 30 years."

I think OSU went 34 years between Natty's -- but has been on a run since 2002 -- what point are you trying to make?

Another apologist that's happy with ten wins. When did ten wins become a thing anyway?

When, over a span of 18 seasons from 1994 thru 2011 we won 10 games only twice (and astonishingly, one was Tyrone the golf pro). Over the last 8 seasons we've done it five times.

You can talk about your goal being to win a national championship every year, and that's fine. But reality is that only one team wins the national championship, so if you don't establish some benchmarks short of that, you are just setting yourself up for years of disappointment. Who likes disappointment?

I disregard anyone who uses the word “natty”. Grow up.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
When, over a span of 18 seasons from 1994 thru 2011 we won 10 games only twice (and astonishingly, one was Tyrone the golf pro). Over the last 8 seasons we've done it five times.

You can talk about your goal being to win a national championship every year, and that's fine. But reality is that only one team wins the national championship, so if you don't establish some benchmarks short of that, you are just setting yourself up for years of disappointment. Who likes disappointment?
Imagine how good the Golfing team would have been with Tyrone as coach!

When were you last happy/satisfied?
Have you ever been happy/satisfied?
Think about that for a moment.
If the answer is 1988, what do you realistically have the power to change?

Grace90, People loved Lou not just solely on the 88 title. Fans like myself loved Lou because he won some big regular season games. BK in the big games seems to wilt. I don’t expect BK to win a Natty. Knock off one of the big dogs @ least ONCE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT